OT: Boxing Thread

• Thread starter BarbaraAlphanse
  • Start date

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Good example of part of the reason Im not a big UFC fan. I couldnt justify shelling our money for 13 seconds. In boxing, thats a count, Aldo likely clears the cobwebs and they go on. That fight last night told me nothing about either fighter.

BarbaraAlphanse

Guy who hasn't lost in ten years gets fluke k.oed. I want to see Frankie Edgar demolish Connor.

Fluke KOed??

He idiotically lunged and exposed himself to that counter. That's his own fault. Not a fluke.

BarbaraAlphanse

As expected, WBC chickened out and made a no-decision on the belt. All bark and little bite. Canelo and Cotto both agreed to their fight with knowledge that Golovkin was next. WBC "enforced" this. Now WBC backed out. Offering 2 extensions. Now deferring a decision by giving a voluntary defense to Canelo despite not earning that, and also setting the wheels in motion to repeating this whole unproductive posturing by canelos team. They're not promising a fight after the voluntary defense... They promise 15 days to get a deal done, where they will again defer judgement on the matter.

Disgusting.

First Cotto held the belt hostage for 1.5 years. Now Canelo. And the sanctioning body does nothing about it.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
As expected, WBC chickened out and made a no-decision on the belt. All bark and little bite. Canelo and Cotto both agreed to their fight with knowledge that Golovkin was next. WBC "enforced" this. Now WBC backed out. Offering 2 extensions. Now deferring a decision by giving a voluntary defense to Canelo despite not earning that, and also setting the wheels in motion to repeating this whole unproductive posturing by canelos team. They're not promising a fight after the voluntary defense... They promise 15 days to get a deal done, where they will again defer judgement on the matter.

Disgusting.

First Cotto held the belt hostage for 1.5 years. Now Canelo. And the sanctioning body does nothing about it.

Canelo better be careful here. After his May bout, which is supposed to be on PPV with no opponent that would even come close to justifying it, the negotiations will happen. GGG Is crazy enough to come down near 155 and allow Canelo to have the lions share of the money. Mark my words, he will destroy Canelo at any weight.

BarbaraAlphanse

Canelo better be careful here. After his May bout, which is supposed to be on PPV with no opponent that would even come close to justifying it, the negotiations will happen. GGG Is crazy enough to come down near 155 and allow Canelo to have the lions share of the money. Mark my words, he will destroy Canelo at any weight.

Rumblings of Bradley at 155, Andrade (Canelo loses the belt), or Lemieux.

BarbaraAlphanse

So Nicholas Walters-Jason Sosa is a candidate for worst referee decision of 2015.

BarbaraAlphanse

Big rumor this morning is Golovkin-Hopkins a 168 in April.

BarbaraAlphanse

Does Hopkins want to die in the ring? This isn't Kelly Pavlik he'd be dragging up to a higher weight.

Id say I doubt this happens, but GGG literally has nobody to fight with Canelo playing games.

It'll generate a lot of interest. Especially if marketed as his final fight.

Hopkins also works for Golden Boy, which will improve the relationship between GGGs camp and Canelos, which is already on good terms from the Lemi fight.

It'll expose GGG to a broader public tuning in to see a great boxer hang them up.

Also, it'll give Canelo further insight as to how Golovkin is in the ring.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
It'll generate a lot of interest. Especially if marketed as his final fight.

Hopkins also works for Golden Boy, which will improve the relationship between GGGs camp and Canelos, which is already on good terms from the Lemi fight.

It'll expose GGG to a broader public tuning in to see a great boxer hang them up.

Also, it'll give Canelo further insight as to how Golovkin is in the ring.

Regarding the latter, I don't see GGG going up to 168 only to have to potentially go south of 160 to fight Canelo. Not at 33 years old.

Then again, time is running out for GGG.

BarbaraAlphanse

Regarding the latter, I don't see GGG going up to 168 only to have to potentially go south of 160 to fight Canelo. Not at 33 years old.

Then again, time is running out for GGG.

I read Degale is another guy he's willing to go up to 168 temporarily for and come back down to 160. So it's definitely a legitimate option. Although in theory, yes, boxers don't tend to consider this.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Oscar and Canelo are being totally torched right now. A welterweight... Fighting for the middleweight title. Wow.

I give them credit. Its the biggest money fight they could've made without GGG right now. And its an easy one. Khan is going to get manhandled at 155.

BarbaraAlphanse

Golovkin wade in April. What an underwhelming announcement.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Also, LOL at Haymon's spin on the Khan situation. Khan and his father negotiated the fight because Haymon has screwed Khan's career over the last couple of years.

The PBC is awful. The $300M Haymon raised is eroding quickly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad