OT: Boxing Thread

• Thread starter BarbaraAlphanse
  • Start date

BarbaraAlphanse

Haven't ever seen one of these on here. I reckon that I can't be the only one on this board that enjoys watching boxing.

What a fight Canelo v Kirkland was.

Would love to see Canelo v Golovkin.

TBH, I think GGG is best pfp boxer there is out there right now. Wouldn't mind seeing him get in the ring w/ Mayweather either and sending him to his first loss. :naughty:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I agree. I don't think Floyd would last three rounds with GGG. Floyd's dad already said his son is not going to fight GGG because he's too big, but I'd like to see it.

I want to see GGG get a big fight soon. I really think people will start to notice just how good he is. I absolutely agree with you that he's the pound for pound best right now.

BarbaraAlphanse

I agree. I don't think Floyd would last three rounds with GGG. Floyd's dad already said his son is not going to fight GGG because he's too big, but I'd like to see it.

I want to see GGG get a big fight soon. I really think people will start to notice just how good he is. I absolutely agree with you that he's the pound for pound best right now.

The knock on him is that he is slow. I don't think he is slow, just not fast. I don't think he needs to be fast. His power makes up for lack of above average speed.

I also think that Canelo would serve to be his fiercest competition to date. Although, I can see it ending up being a similar bout to the one that GGG had vs. Curtis Stevens. Where he gets cracked in the face a few times but just keeps coming and coming until the ref is forced to stop the fight or allow a brutal knock out.

Cotto? I think both of these guys knock him out within the first 5 rounds. Cotto has a weak chin.

BarbaraAlphanse

Was it me or was golovkin intentionally allowing Monroe to hit him to try and lure bigger boxers in?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Was it me or was golovkin intentionally allowing Monroe to hit him to try and lure bigger boxers in?

I think so. He let up after the second round. If he had continued, he could've had him him out after three rounds, but he just stopped boxing after the two knock downs.

Eventually he picked it up, but he let him in there for a little bit.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Golovkin is the best attraction in boxing right now. However, at 33 years old, time is against him and he needs a big fight like yesterday. That said, its not his fault nobody wants to step in the ring with him. Theres 4 possibilities.

1. Move to 154 to fight Floyd - this will never happen as Floyd would not risk it.

2. Fight Cotto - I used to respect Cotto but the game he is playing as a small lineal middleweight champion is wearing thin. Either fight GGG or give up the strap and move back down to junior middleweight.

3. Fight Canelo. This is the most realistic scenario, but Canelo would need a fight or two at 160 first (and probably want a big money fight with Cotto) -- there goes another year.

4. Fight Andre Ward at 168. Ward talks a lot of trash for a guy thats fought once in 3 years and is fighting a bum on BET next month, but this would be a great fight.

I would guess GGG's team tries to get a fight with Andy Lee in the meantime so GGG can pick up another belt.

Anyway, I've been a big boxing fan for a long time and I was happy to see the Canelo and GGG fights somewhat make up for the stink bomb that was Manny vs. Floyd.

BarbaraAlphanse

I think so. He let up after the second round. If he had continued, he could've had him him out after three rounds, but he just stopped boxing after the two knock downs.

Eventually he picked it up, but he let him in there for a little bit.

I didn't catch the interview last night. Watched it today. He told Max that it was his present to the fans and that none of them came to see a 5 minute fight. Seems like he could have finished the fight earlier.

Don't know who he gets next. Canelo wants to fight in September again. GGG will fight in September again, according to his promoter. Mayweather will fight in September.

Cotto fights in June. He fights about twice a year. GGG is his mandatory next fight or else he loses his belt at 160. HBO also said they refused to air his next fight in June unless he committed to one of Canelo or GGG next. It will be tough for Cotto to fight either one of them in September. That is a short turn around for him.

Mayweather likes fighting at 148. I'd love for GGG to get in the ring with him but the Mayweather apologists are already out in full force calling a potential GGG-Floyd bout as madness. Hyperbolizing "What's next after that for Floyd? Klitschko?".

It isn't that crazy. Golovkin would have to go down 6 pounds and Mayweather up 6 pounds. Mayweather's dad said that GGG could rehydrate up to 170-180 in 1 night. To be honest i've never remembered seeing GGG's day after weigh-in weight be more than 5 pounds than what he weighed in at. And he is usually under 160 when he weighs in. Vs. Maclin I think he was like 157-158. It is just a means for Floyd to justify declining to fight him.

Canelo? Oscar is trying to build more hype around that show. He disrespected Golovkin before Thurman's last fight, saying Thurman was a better fighter. Thurman didn't win his next fight. Last night he tweeted that a championship boxer with a power punch would beat him. Ok, Oscar, put him in the ring with GGG. Won't happen.

Personally, I think Andy Lee is the most probable next fighter. Or maybe Carl Froch. No idea who else would get the nod.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I didn't catch the interview last night. Watched it today. He told Max that it was his present to the fans and that none of them came to see a 5 minute fight. Seems like he could have finished the fight earlier.

Don't know who he gets next. Canelo wants to fight in September again. GGG will fight in September again, according to his promoter. Mayweather will fight in September.

Cotto fights in June. He fights about twice a year. GGG is his mandatory next fight or else he loses his belt at 160. HBO also said they refused to air his next fight in June unless he committed to one of Canelo or GGG next. It will be tough for Cotto to fight either one of them in September. That is a short turn around for him.

Mayweather likes fighting at 148. I'd love for GGG to get in the ring with him but the Mayweather apologists are already out in full force calling a potential GGG-Floyd bout as madness. Hyperbolizing "What's next after that for Floyd? Klitschko?".

It isn't that crazy. Golovkin would have to go down 6 pounds and Mayweather up 6 pounds. Mayweather's dad said that GGG could rehydrate up to 170-180 in 1 night. To be honest i've never remembered seeing GGG's day after weigh-in weight be more than 5 pounds than what he weighed in at. And he is usually under 160 when he weighs in. Vs. Maclin I think he was like 157-158. It is just a means for Floyd to justify declining to fight him.

Canelo? Oscar is trying to build more hype around that show. He disrespected Golovkin before Thurman's last fight, saying Thurman was a better fighter. Thurman didn't win his next fight. Last night he tweeted that a championship boxer with a power punch would beat him. Ok, Oscar, put him in the ring with GGG. Won't happen.

Personally, I think Andy Lee is the most probable next fighter. Or maybe Carl Froch. No idea who else would get the nod.

Froch is out long term with an elbow injury. He will probably retire.

Zamboner

Juice in his slacks
Feb 7, 2013
NY
Golovkin is really overrated. Lara and Ward have been calling him out for over a year, and yet his team is still going with the, "Nobody will fight him" gimmick, as he fights one embarrassing opponent after another. Golovkin has never beat a Top 50 P4P fighter, and yet he's on every Top 10 list. :shakehead

BarbaraAlphanse

Golovkin is really overrated. Lara and Ward have been calling him out for over a year, and yet his team is still going with the, "Nobody will fight him" gimmick, as he fights one embarrassing opponent after another. Golovkin has never beat a Top 50 P4P fighter, and yet he's on every Top 10 list. :shakehead

Really? Didn't Lara call him out and then bail at the last second before the finalized the deal.

And Ward wanted him so much that he offered a 70-30 split in his favor, despite the fact that he has fought twice in 4 years, hasn't accumulated a fan base, and of this day is less popular and would bring less money to the fight than Golovkin would.

Seems like both like to talk a lot to the media but their actions speak louder and tell a different story.

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
Just re-watched the RJJ-Tarver trilogy, what a shame Roy got knocked out by Tarver in the 2nd fight. That weight cutting from heavyweight after beating John Ruiz really drained him. Tarver wasn't half as skilled as Jones, just a lanky fighter using his reach advantage. He was a tricky southpaw.

Also, for any one of our Rangers fans here getting into boxing, start with Gatti-Ward I, II, and III.

As for GGG, he is an exceptional boxer with very hard,crisp punches. I would bet my money on him over Canelo.

Zamboner

Juice in his slacks
Feb 7, 2013
NY
Really? Didn't Lara call him out and then bail at the last second before the finalized the deal.
No. He called him out again last night.

And Ward wanted him so much that he offered a 70-30 split in his favor, despite the fact that he has fought twice in 4 years, hasn't accumulated a fan base, and of this day is less popular and would bring less money to the fight than Golovkin would.
It never got far enough for any real offers. The only people talking about getting more of a split are Abel Sanchez of Team Golovkin.

Seems like both like to talk a lot to the media but their actions speak louder and tell a different story.
Comparing Lara/Ward's past competition to Golovkin's, I'd say the latter is most likely the problem. Although Ward is doing a good job at making himself irrelevant, at the moment. Lara would fight Golovkin tomorrow. He'd instantly be the best fighter Golovkin ever faced.

BarbaraAlphanse

No. He called him out again last night.

It never got far enough for any real offers. The only people talking about getting more of a split are Abel Sanchez of Team Golovkin.

Comparing Lara/Ward's past competition to Golovkin's, I'd say the latter is most likely the problem. Although Ward is doing a good job at making himself irrelevant, at the moment. Lara would fight Golovkin tomorrow. He'd instantly be the best fighter Golovkin ever faced.

I could have sworn that Lara called out GGG last year and then pulled out at the last second due to contractual problems w how he was being promoted. He is 20-2-2. Let's not make him out to be someone spectacular that people are ducking. Ward is, imo, the best of the bunch that GGG is rumored to face.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Lara and Ward? Seriously. Lara is a junior middleweight. He would get destroyed. And GGG isn't moving down to 154 for anyone but Floyd.

Andre Ward and GGG would be a great fight. But its pretty easy for Ward to call out people from his couch the past few years.

GGG continues to fight the guys that will get into the ring with him.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Golovkin looks good but his main atribute is his power. He leaves himself open a lot and a really good boxer can expose him.

That being said I would like to see GGG vs Canelo and then vs Ward. Can't believe Ward hasn't fought in 3 years. What is that guy thinking.

BarbaraAlphanse

Golovkin looks good but his main atribute is his power. He leaves himself open a lot and a really good boxer can expose him.

That being said I would like to see GGG vs Canelo and then vs Ward. Can't believe Ward hasn't fought in 3 years. What is that guy thinking.

I used to think this too, but then he showed really good defense against Monroe the first 3 rounds until he decided to let Monroe punch him in the heads as a "present to the fans".

He has a strong chin. I don't like how open he leaves himself. I guess that's his biggest deficiency as a fighter.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

I don't think theres a middleweight out there that can hurt him. I think he can walk through any shot and deliver his brutal power. He's proven that.

Thats why I think a fight at 168 with Ward is so intriguing. Will GGG's power come with him? Will he be able to take shots from a super middleweight?

I don't think theres a human alive who could beat GGG at 160 or below, and that includes Mayweather.

BarbaraAlphanse

I don't think theres a middleweight out there that can hurt him. I think he can walk through any shot and deliver his brutal power. He's proven that.

Thats why I think a fight at 168 with Ward is so intriguing. Will GGG's power come with him? Will he be able to take shots from a super middleweight?

I don't think theres a human alive who could beat GGG at 160 or below, and that includes Mayweather.

It is very intriguing. And then you hear about reports that he fights guys who weight more than 170 in prep, sparring, and crushes them... And it makes you wonder if anyone up to 175 can stop him.

There were reports that he knocked out Kovalev several years ago, sparring. That's impressive if true.

Kovalev Stevenson is another fight that would be great entertainment.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
It is very intriguing. And then you hear about reports that he fights guys who weight more than 170 in prep, sparring, and crushes them... And it makes you wonder if anyone up to 175 can stop him.

There were reports that he knocked out Kovalev several years ago, sparring. That's impressive if true.

Kovalev Stevenson is another fight that would be great entertainment.

Stevenson has gone running to the hills against any solid 175 pounder since he signed with Al Haymon --- as most fighters do under his control. Biggest chump in boxing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad