OT: Boxing Thread

• Thread starter BarbaraAlphanse
  • Start date

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Not "all," my man. Ward would've fought him at 168 last week, and Lara has been begging for a fight for two years now.

The rest of the middleweights are pansies, though. I will agree with that. I give Cotto a slight pass, because he's so tiny for middleweight, but the rest should be ashamed of themselves.

I saw nothing "incredible" about that display. Golovkin looked slow, easy to hit, but he dusted off his jab, so now we're supposed to act like he's got Roberto Duran's skills. It's also worth noting that David Lemieux has never moved his head in his entire boxing career.

If you're insinuating that GGG doesn't have elite hand/foot speed, Ill agree with that. But he more than makes up for it with a jackhammer jab, an uncanny ability to cut off the ring, and - most importantly - always being in position to punch. And when he does corner a fighter, his combinations are devastating, especially when he incorporates the open palmed left hook to the body.

Im really surprised you, or anyone else really, would discredit how good GGG is and take Andre Ward at his word in the same breath.

Zamboner

Juice in his slacks
Feb 7, 2013
NY
If you're insinuating that GGG doesn't have elite hand/foot speed, Ill agree with that. But he more than makes up for it with a jackhammer jab, an uncanny ability to cut off the ring, and - most importantly - always being in position to punch. And when he does corner a fighter, his combinations are devastating, especially when he incorporates the open palmed left hook to the body.

Im really surprised you, or anyone else really, would discredit how good GGG is and take Andre Ward at his word in the same breath.
I find Golovkin's promoter to be one of the sleaziest humans I've ever seen. I'm more skeptical of that guy than Golovkin himself. It is a fact that Golovkin said he would fight Ward at 168 for over a year, and the day Ward said, "Lets do it," the promoter changed it to 164. This isn't a Ward claim, this is what happened. Golovkin's people confirmed 164, and the press justified it, for some reason. They are worth more if everybody is "afraid" so they do stuff like this a lot. I'm surprised people buy this scam.

As for Golvokin as a fighter, I think he is very good. I hesitate to call him great, because his competition is so poor. Whose fault it is, doesn't matter to me. It's terrible competition. I need to see more.

I'm glad we agree about his hand/foot speed, but I'm skeptical of his ring cutting ability too, seeing as he's never faced a real good boxer. His "best" opponents, were flat footed. It's easy to cut off the ring against David Lemieux. It's also easier to throw combinations against poor competition, as that tends to disappear at the higher level (especially with limited handspeed). Bottom line, we don't know what Golovkin can do against a real mover, so we have no idea how well he cuts off a ring.. That's why I want to see him fight Lara so bad. I think Golovkin would probably win, but that would be the best guy he fought, the most complex stylistically, and Lara wants it. It should have happened a year ago already. Somehow, "nobody wants to fight Golovkin" lives on.

Last edited:

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I find Golovkin's promoter to be one of the sleaziest humans I've ever seen. I'm more skeptical of that guy than Golovkin himself. It is a fact that Golovkin said he would fight Ward at 168 for over a year, and the day Ward said, "Lets do it," the promoter changed it to 164. This isn't a Ward claim, this is what happened. Golovkin's people confirmed 164, and the press justified it, for some reason. They are worth more if everybody is "afraid" so they do stuff like this a lot. I'm surprised people buy this scam.

As for Golvokin as a fighter, I think he is very good. I hesitate to call him great, because his competition is so poor. Whose fault it is, doesn't matter to me. It's terrible competition. I need to see more.

I'm glad we agree about his hand/foot speed, but I'm skeptical of his ring cutting ability too, seeing as he's never faced a real good boxer. His "best" opponents, were flat footed. It's easy to cut off the ring against David Lemieux. It's also easier to throw combinations against poor competition, as that tends to disappear at the higher level (especially with limited handspeed). Bottom line, we don't know what Golovkin can do against a real mover, so we have no idea how well he cuts off a ring.. That's why I want to see him fight Lara so bad. I think Golovkin would probably win, but that would be the best guy he fought, the most complex stylistically, and Lara wants it. It should have happened a year ago already. Somehow, "nobody wants to fight Golovkin" lives on.

Im not a fan of K2 promotions and Loeffler, but he has done a great job building GGG's brand without major competition. I also have to shake my head when I see that KGB looking guy behind Golovkin during every interview. Something is off there. But full credit to GGG himself as well when it comes to building his brand. Ive always liked the happy warrior (like Pacquiao in his heyday), and thats what GGG is.

Ward at 168 (can he even make 168 anymore?) and Lara at 154 are big movers and shakers when it comes to weight without much fanfare accompanying either of those fighters. As a boxing fan, I'd love to see those intriguing matchups, but I understand why they'll likely never happen.

BarbaraAlphanse

Not "all," my man. Ward would've fought him at 168 last week, and Lara has been begging for a fight for two years now.

The rest of the middleweights are pansies, though. I will agree with that. I give Cotto a slight pass, because he's so tiny for middleweight, but the rest should be ashamed of themselves.

I saw nothing "incredible" about that display. Golovkin looked slow, easy to hit, but he dusted off his jab, so now we're supposed to act like he's got Roberto Duran's skills. It's also worth noting that David Lemieux has never moved his head in his entire boxing career.

There is nothing worse than boxing fans who are Ward fans... besides maybe boxing fans who are Floyd fans. This explains a lot.

Ward fans should worry about what happens if he faces Kovalev, not about GGG's career.

Canelo didn't give GGG a dose of his own medicine. GGG offered Ward 50/50 on everything. Weight and cash split.

What Canelo is doing is comparable to if Golovkin told Ward he'd fight him, but only at 161 pounds and with a lopsided financial split. So don't try and sell it as "dose of his own medicine".

I don't give Cotto a pass. He has held this belt hostage despite clearly NOT being a middle weight. Either give up the belt to a true middle weight, fight a middle weight, or don't even come into that division to begin with. What an annoying boxer.

And spare me the Lara quip. He would be totally destroyed. As if Golovkin would be ducking someone like Lara. What the **** has Lara even done in his career. To suggest he's more accomplished than GGG is beyond funny.

:shakehead

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Cotto's time at middleweight is the definition of smoke and mirrors.

Won the belt against an absolutely shot Sergio Martinez, and defenses against Rodriguez and Geale. Not impressed whatsoever.

And while I think Canelo is overrated, I think his youth and power will handle Cotto.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
There is nothing worse than boxing fans who are Ward fans... besides maybe boxing fans who are Floyd fans. This explains a lot.

Ward fans should worry about what happens if he faces Kovalev, not about GGG's career.

Canelo didn't give GGG a dose of his own medicine. GGG offered Ward 50/50 on everything. Weight and cash split.

What Canelo is doing is comparable to if Golovkin told Ward he'd fight him, but only at 161 pounds and with a lopsided financial split. So don't try and sell it as "dose of his own medicine".

I don't give Cotto a pass. He has held this belt hostage despite clearly NOT being a middle weight. Either give up the belt to a true middle weight, fight a middle weight, or don't even come into that division to begin with. What an annoying boxer.

And spare me the Lara quip. He would be totally destroyed. As if Golovkin would be ducking someone like Lara. What the **** has Lara even done in his career. To suggest he's more accomplished than GGG is beyond funny.

:shakehead

I actually thought Lara beat Canelo, or at least drew him.

BarbaraAlphanse

Lara is fighting Jan Zaveck next. Jan ****ing Zaveck. The same Jan Zaveck who was TKO'd by Berto in the 5th round 4-5 years ago.

Ward is fighting (or heavily rumored to be fighting) Rohan Murdock on the Canelo undercard. Rohan ****ing Murdock. Have you ever heard of this guy? I haven't. He's 18-1. He's ranked #6 in the 168 division. Fun tidbit, this is the worst the 168 division has ever been. Oh another tidbit, Ward is trying to force Murdock to fight at 175, 7 pounds heavier than he has ever fought.

Wow!! Lara and Ward are gearing to fight some backyard brawls. Golovkin fighting some real trash bins in the meantime.

Another fun tidbit, Erinslandy Lara couldn't beat Canelo, a guy who fights 6 pounds lighter than Golovkin, can't move forward, and has some of the worst mobility a dominant boxer has ever had. How the hell would you expect him to beat a stalker around the ring who has shown that he not only eats any punch thrown at him but welcomes them, too? By punching and darting? Sure. That's 1) not boxing and 2) bound to get him knocked out through the ropes and into the photographers.

And again, as for Ward... worry about Kovalev first. Sergey "Golovkin's punch is more severe and powerful than my own" Kovalev. Yes.

BarbaraAlphanse

I actually thought Lara beat Canelo, or at least drew him.

Ironically enough, I had this debate with a few guys in my office today.

To me, Lara didn't do enough to beat Canelo. When I first watched it, I was under the impression that they were even. I wanted Lara, the underdog, to win. Therefore the tie went in my head to him.

I rewatched. Neither guy hit **** the entire fight. Punch and dart Lara. Inept mobility Canelo. Canelo had no idea what to do. He thought he was moving forward and somehow still found himself planted in the center of the ring. I've never seen someone more uncomfortable moving around a ring. Definition of a counter puncher. Lara hit sure did some sporadic jab combo damage, though.

Even fight. Bad fight. Not much accuracy from either guy. Since Lara wasn't the aggressor, if the fight didn't end in a draw, it would go to Canelo. Ties usually go to the guys trying to stimulate action. Lara did not do this at all.

BarbaraAlphanse

A name to look out for in the coming years: Demetrius Andrade.

Also, I'm waiting for a Walters, Rigondeaux, Lomanchenko round robin. Too bad chocolatito is too small to join the fun there.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
A name to look out for in the coming years: Demetrius Andrade.

Also, I'm waiting for a Walters, Rigondeaux, Lomanchenko round robin. Too bad chocolatito is too small to join the fun there.

I went to the Provodnikov/Algieri fight back in June of 2014. Andrade was on the undercard and very impressive. Thats also the last time he fought. It amazes me that these guys piss away their primes with inactivity.

BarbaraAlphanse

I went to the Provodnikov/Algieri fight back in June of 2014. Andrade was on the undercard and very impressive. Thats also the last time he fought. It amazes me that these guys piss away their primes with inactivity.

He fought last weekend. Bulked up like crazy apparently. Now a power puncher.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Seems like Pacquiao vs. Crawford is picking up steam for April 9th if Crawford looks good tonight. Excellent crossroads fight.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Andre Ward has agreed to a 3 fight deal with HBO, culminating in a late 2016 PPV fight vs. Kovalev (this is contingent on them winning their next 2 fights).

Ward will be on the Canelo/Cotto undercard fighting a cab driver at the request of Roc Nation.

BarbaraAlphanse

Andre Ward has agreed to a 3 fight deal with HBO, culminating in a late 2016 PPV fight vs. Kovalev (this is contingent on them winning their next 2 fights).

Ward will be on the Canelo/Cotto undercard fighting a cab driver at the request of Roc Nation.

I read that this is not close to final yet bc he is having a lot of trouble finding an opponent for the Canelo Cotto undercard.

Froch coming back and fighting Golovkin throws a wrench in that HBO deal.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I read that this is not close to final yet bc he is having a lot of trouble finding an opponent for the Canelo Cotto undercard.

Froch coming back and fighting Golovkin throws a wrench in that HBO deal.

Read that it's very close, but not yet signed due to the opponent issue. Havent read anything suggesting Froch would return, doubt it happens.

Arum is trying to position the Bradley/Rios winner to face the Cotto/Canelo winner. That would be a continued disgrace when it comes to the lineal middleweight title.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
HBO is winning the boxing wars these days. They are excellent at building up brands. Golovkin, Crawford, Kovalev, R. Gonzalez, Ward, Klitschko, Pacquiao. These are the biggest names in boxing and they all fight under the HBO banner.

Showtime has apparently given up on boxing now that Mayweather is gone. Premier Boxing Champions continues to disappoint, primarily because the matchmaking is abysmal. The only fight Haymon and company have scheduled that I even have a remote interest in is Thurman vs. Porter, and that just got pushed back so who knows if its happening.

BarbaraAlphanse

Read that it's very close, but not yet signed due to the opponent issue. Havent read anything suggesting Froch would return, doubt it happens.

Arum is trying to position the Bradley/Rios winner to face the Cotto/Canelo winner. That would be a continued disgrace when it comes to the lineal middleweight title.

Hearn came out and said froch called chomping at the bit to I retire and fight Golovkin.

And wow, if that arum thing is true... Total disgrace.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Andre ward off the Canelo/cotto card due to knee swelling - right after he signed his HBO deal. This guy is really something.

Maybe he'll get an exemption to fight kovalev or GGG from his couch.

BarbaraAlphanse

Pretty shocked abt Rousey. I don't follow MMA too closely. But shocking nonetheless. I felt that it was a similar scenario to Weidman Silva.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Rousey went all Hollywood and looked thoroughly unprepared. Holm boxed the **** out of her and Rousey looked like she hadn't seen a southpaw in her life.

The Cotto news is pretty surprising. The WBC couldn't have waited until Monday?

After reading the WBC's statement, it sure seems like an agreement to fight GGG as a mandatory is one of the factors.

BarbaraAlphanse

Rousey went all Hollywood and looked thoroughly unprepared. Holm boxed the **** out of her and Rousey looked like she hadn't seen a southpaw in her life.

The Cotto news is pretty surprising. The WBC couldn't have waited until Monday?

After reading the WBC's statement, it sure seems like an agreement to fight GGG as a mandatory is one of the factors.

Yep. Cotto trying hard to sway public opinion but this was all his fault. He chose geale. Then chose Canelo. Then refused Golovkin's offer of turning down step aside money for a contractual obligation to fight him next. And has known about the sanctioning fee rules. Reading between the lines, he didn't want to fight ggg.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Yep. Cotto trying hard to sway public opinion but this was all his fault. He chose geale. Then chose Canelo. Then refused Golovkin's offer of turning down step aside money for a contractual obligation to fight him next. And has known about the sanctioning fee rules. Reading between the lines, he didn't want to fight ggg.

I'd say Im impressed to see a sanctioning body step up and do their job when the best fights with the best contenders aren't being put on --- however, this is the same WBC that let Mayweather hold their junior middleweight belt for 2+ years without even a thought of defending it at all against anyone.

BarbaraAlphanse

So apparently Cotto didn't pay Golovkin the step aside fee. Now he refuses to pay the step aside fee. ESPN reporting Cotto could be sued.

Lol. Honestly, Miguel Cotto may be the worst type of person.

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
Listen, worst type of person or not, Cotto himself admitted after knocking out Geale in the 4th round in the Barclays in June, in his own words, Kellerman asked him "Do you consider yourself a Middlewight"?

Here was Cotto's reply:
"My weight uh yesterday was 153.6 lbs...do you think i'm a middleweight"?

Max- "Doesn't sound like it".

Miguel- "I'm not".

So him getting stripped of the Middleweight strap is no surprise to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad