Pre-Game Talk: Party like it’s 1997 - Edmonton vs Dallas

Who wins?

• Total voters

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
I am so glad there’s a place like this where we have polls that give you the option to choose the other team and discussions where we might express concern the Oilers might lose a series. It’s the only way genetally challenged people like I could get identified by the true fans such as yourself who have reached a rarified air of truly cheering for the team. This will be my path to salvation I’m sure as a fan, thank you for your service.

I have a few questions, which I’m sure will seem basic to you but please, since I’m early in this journey be patient.

1. If the entire oilers team was sick or injured and replaced by an AHL team do I still predict them to win? Is there acceptable scenarios where that is ok? Just a few examples to help guide me.

2. If I do choose them to win do I need to say it’s going to be a sweep to be the true fan? Seems like that would be the ballsier move.

3. If I choose them to win, and I actually root for the team in a way that meets your approval and my balls don’t grow bigger should I do something else? Maybe calling out posters who don’t have a hive mind would help my advancement?

Again, I can’t thank you enough for your service here, it must be a true burden to deal with the bandwagon unbeliever like me. It’s only though journeys like this can I hope to be better,
Good, I’m glad you see the light.

Reactions: capazzo

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
I am so glad there’s a place like this where we have polls that give you the option to choose the other team and discussions where we might express concern the Oilers might lose a series. It’s the only way genetally challenged people like I could get identified by the true fans such as yourself who have reached a rarified air of truly cheering for the team. This will be my path to salvation I’m sure as a fan, thank you for your service.

I have a few questions, which I’m sure will seem basic to you but please, since I’m early in this journey be patient.

1. If the entire oilers team was sick or injured and replaced by an AHL team do I still predict them to win? Is there acceptable scenarios where that is ok? Just a few examples to help guide me.

2. If I do choose them to win do I need to say it’s going to be a sweep to be the true fan? Seems like that would be the ballsier move.

3. If I choose them to win, and I actually root for the team in a way that meets your approval and my balls don’t grow bigger should I do something else? Maybe calling out posters who don’t have a hive mind would help my advancement?

Again, I can’t thank you enough for your service here, it must be a true burden to deal with the bandwagon unbeliever like me. It’s only though journeys like this can I hope to be better,

It's a matter of optimism vs pessimism vs realism, not fandom

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Perry seems like this year's version of Kessel last playoffs. Speed of the game is too much at this time of year. It is the end of the road. He can still get his name on the Cup, but the reality is that Edmonton's best chance to win is with him as the no.14 forward. If Henrique plays, I like these forward lines against Dallas:

RNH 97 Hyman
Kane 29 Holloway
Henrique McLeod Foegele
Janmark Carrick Ryan
Brown Perry
Gagner Erne

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Edmonton played down the Canucks even though we outplayed them in 6 out of the 7 games.

I think we see guys elevator their play now that they are the "underdogs " with something to prove.

Dallas is a much better challenge but Edmonton should be able to win the special teams battle without getting caved in 5v5.

Skinner is going to need to be better and should look better with more volume.

Dallas may have a bunch of guys who can score but they lack the top end guys.

I think it's closer than people think.

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
Darnell Does Dallas?
IMG_6110.gif

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Interesting pre series interview with Deboer:

- Sees us as a Knights Avs hybrid team. Will try to take the best things they did against them and apply to playing us
- Notes the Avs PP as elite, but notes ours as elite+
- Says we defend similar to Colorado, keeping our Dmen close to the net
- Thinks we are very similar to Avs
- I liked his Mack/McD comparison. MacK does it with more power. McD has an extra layer of finesse to his game.
- Said both Avs and Knights stumbled throughout the year at times, whereas edmonton has been confident and rolling for 6 months straight

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I think the Avs could have taken out the Stars if not for the Nuke issue. They pretty much gave away an entire game due to disbelief. Pulled themselves together at the end to give the Stars a run for their money. Avs are a speed built team and so are we. But we don’t have a Nuke issue to slow us down.

I think we will ultimately beat the Stars with our speed. Stars are a great team with great execution but I think if we click on all cylinders we can out pace them. McDraiBouch will also win us atleast a game outright.

Bobieque

Low n' Slow (Me & the Food)
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
Thinking about it last night, I also believe the "X" factor will be the team's disappointment from last year's Vegas loss. McDavid and Draisaitl have had the "Cup or Bust" message thrown back in their faces this entire season and run. I know everyone is motivated to win, but the realization that this could be it for the team due to Cap issues may be the final extra push to take them over an arguable better team.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Speaking of commercials...

So bemusing how they overlay Oiler fans singing the anthem onto Rogers place fans in Vancouver as to make it look like they are singing it. Barely an Oiler fan to be seen. lol

The Vancouver fans didn't even know the words.
Vancouver? Is that a golf team?

Reactions: Oilhawks

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Edmonton played down the Canucks even though we outplayed them in 6 out of the 7 games.

I think we see guys elevator their play now that they are the "underdogs " with something to prove.

Dallas is a much better challenge but Edmonton should be able to win the special teams battle without getting caved in 5v5.

Skinner is going to need to be better and should look better with more volume.

Dallas may have a bunch of guys who can score but they lack the top end guys.

I think it's closer than people think.
Since you've given me so many "likes" I thought I should reciprocate.

Agree though that Skinner must be better.

Oilers in 6.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
I am very much like Eeyore when it comes to the team. They have let us as a fanbase down more than I can count.
So I take a realist/negative approach. We aren’t a bad team, not by any stretch. We have some bad players and an all time bad playoff goalie.
Now could we magically win the cup, sure.
Could I just sit here after every loss or win and say “Oilers best team” I mean sure. But that’s not me.

To others, I never meant to imply the team is happy to be here, I meant more as a fan or fanbase even losing in round 3 is impressive from how the team is constructed and how the year started.
Conflating pessimism with realism is a common error when trying to cushion the blow in anticipation of disappointment.

Here's the thing, though: whether you anticipate the disappointment or not, you'll still be disappointed.

But also, whether you expect success or failure, it has zero impact on the outcome.

Reactions: capazzo

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Speaking of commercials...

So bemusing how they overlay Oiler fans singing the anthem onto Rogers place fans in Vancouver as to make it look like they are singing it. Barely an Oiler fan to be seen. lol

The Vancouver fans didn't even know the words.
Remember, Vancouver booed Team Canada in 72 Summit Series and chanted Communism is Better. Its a different place to say the least

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I said before the season started that anything less than a WCF appearance would be a failure and I stand by that. Getting swept again though would still leave a huge sting. I wasn't overly high on Dallas until that Colorado series.

We can beat them but we need some more from the bottom six than just sawing off. Dallas will make you pay if we make egregious errors like we have a few times so far this playoffs. Obviously Skinner has to be better too but the way the Oilers defended in games 6 and 7 shows we can do it, we just need to be consistent about it.

Dallas is a great team, but they're not invincible.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Back in the 90's as a small market Canadian team we were overjoyed to win a Round 1 series against the big dog Dallas & Colorado Teams. Now we've got a real contender with heavy weaponry! 🤗

imo: Huge Challenge and the 1 Team I feared the most coming into playoffs. That being said this is the path to the Cup. All 4 remaining teams are great squads, which speaks to the health and competitiveness of the league in 2024.

Huge hockey fan and lifelong Oiler fan checking in with positive vibes, Let's Go!

Reactions: Kerberos

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Everyone talking about getting rid of our bottom six guys. You keep those players if the price is right.
McLeod we keep for sure.
Brown (if he signs for bones minimum)
Foegele(once again if the price is right)
Ryan is retiring
Perry can leave lol

The reason being, our penalty was awesome.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Honestly wish both teams would go back to their jerseys from 97 for this series. I can't believe how awful Dallas jersey is compared to what it used to be.

The worst uniforms in the NHL hands down IMO, even including the Ducks.

The color and number/letter font is one thing, but the logo looks like it was the outcome of a community college graphic design project. The whole uniform screams minor league.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Here's the least surprising list I've ever seen. Sorted entirely by age and tenure, not performance.

Not like I've watched every game this playoff, but there is just no possible way that Rooney and Sutherland were the best of the crop so far. Unless there were utter officiating travesties that I haven't heard about elsewhere in the league, those two have been probably the worst so far. Both have f***ed up games in each round.

Reactions: TB12

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
The worst uniforms in the NHL hands down IMO, even including the Ducks.

The color and number/letter font is one thing, but the logo looks like it was the outcome of a community college graphic design project. The whole uniform screams minor league.
It might be kind of meh, but I do like that teams like Dallas and Minny are back to wearing green so we get some variety.

Also, this is still a huge upgrade on the bland basketball pajamas they rolled out under Reebok. Those were some of my least favourite hockey jerseys of all time.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
It might be kind of meh, but I do like that teams like Dallas and Minny are back to wearing green so we get some variety.

Also, this is still a huge upgrade on the bland basketball pajamas they rolled out under Reebok. Those were some of my least favourite hockey jerseys of all time.

Stars are one of those teams with a great uniform history to pick from, but basically deliberately choose to wear ugly uniforms in spite of it. The uniforms proceeding these ones are another example, like you mentioned.

Either of the uniforms they wore before that when they moved to Dallas were awesome.

Reactions: Fishy McScales

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Stars are one of those teams with a great uniform history to pick from, but basically deliberately choose to wear ugly uniforms in spite of it. The uniforms proceeding these ones are another example, like you mentioned.

Either of the uniforms they wore before that when they moved to Dallas were awesome.
If they wear those black neon green trimmed uniforms...
25B26B04-82E9-4DEC-9F77-39AC74C4250F.gif

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad