Confirmed with Link: Bowman and Q will return next season

Dont Toews Me Bro

Mar 20, 2018
Ugh. Looks like another year bringing back former Hawks in a pathetic attempt to recapture the magic of year's past. Maybe he'll drag Mayers and Burish out of the booth? Whoever it is wil fail just like all the others which is exactly why Bowman must go man

Reactions: BrianE

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
You're living a pipe dream.

Again, you are referencing a 30 game sample size when Crawford was on fire... To refute the 244 game sample size I have provided? Do you possess logical thinking skills? Because there's no logic here. Corey Crawford has a career save percentage of .870 on the PK. Forsberg put up .865 and Glass put up .873 this season. Crawford is pretty much dead in the middle of those two.

Oh, and since 2010-2011, Crawford has been outperformed on the penalty kill by every single one of his backups except Forsberg. Who....is only .005 behind him.

Crawford is not the difference in the PK this season. And historically speaking, he's not even a good PK goalie.

I'm glad you're happy with this terrible coaching staff. I'm sure you'll enjoy the Hawks being awful again next season.
Crawford was the difference THIS season, you will not convince me otherwise.

And who says I am happy the coaches are back? All I said was Crawford helped the PK more than you gave him credit for, I don't see where I am defending the coaching staff?????

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
Yep. If McD is making all the decisions, then this is going to head downhill fast.
I mean, back to back first round exits and a last place finish are pretty bad. They are already on the way down the hill. Another non-playoff season and you are going to have STH's dropping their tickets in droves. That wait list will dry up pretty quick as well.

Last edited:

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I'm a little disappointed that Q is coming back. Gives me less hope of a turnaround next year. Not that I don't respect the hell out of him. It has just felt like it's time for a different message or approach with the players. Oh well.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
A few things to mention with all of this:
  • McDonough should not meddle with these types of decisions.
  • Bowman needed a season, this coming season, to be given the reigns and be allowed to sink or swim with whoever he'd put in as head coach. But McDonough stupidly made the decision for Stan.
  • Q may or may not have lost the team, but the big thing I hate is his system. Tampa has a similar system, but way more advanced. That team's system allows a forward to go from being in the neutral zone to making a quick skate back into the defensive zone to allow the defense another option to move the puck. Our forwards are designed to stand still in the neutral zone and wait for the pass. Unfortunately nobody is moving their feet at that point and it becomes a bigger challenge to gain the offensive zone.
  • One good thing is Q's replacements are already here. Even if he was let go this offseason, the decision would be between Ulf, Dineen, and Colliton (Ulf being the likely winner). If the team comes out with a thud next season, one of these guys can easily be promoted within a month or two.

dk2k

recovering cynic
Jul 5, 2017
I like how the same people who were saying they wouldn’t watch next year if Q came back are now saying “yeah, I figured”. Good call, hockey geniuses!

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I like how the same people who were saying they wouldn’t watch next year if Q came back are now saying “yeah, I figured”. Good call, hockey geniuses!

Which people are those?

FYI, might want to use so logic and realize the even though they figured he would be back they still will not watch. The two things are not mutually exclusive.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
giphy.gif

Not surprised. The writing has been on the wall for Q to stay for half the season at this point.

McD can go **** himself. Useless piece of **** injecting himself into everything even though he knows nothing about hockey. Q staying is entirely on McD. And I'd put money on that.

With this information... like others have said. Q and Stan seem to be joined at the hip now. One goes, they both go.

As for the question of Stan being "allowed" to let Q go if he wanted. He shouldn't need to be "allowed".

He's the damn GM. It should be his decision only. And no, I don't think McD would let Stan fire Q if he wanted to.

exactly. where else is news broke (from a member of management) that a coach is staying NOT FROM THE GM??? I can't recall it...he isn't even the damn owner with loose lips.

he is commenting on both Bowman and Q, but I would like to think Bowman has enough f***ing pull and clout in this organization to say "no changes will be made heading into this season with on-ice coaching and upper management." pretty simple and would cover it....but NOOOOOOO, McD makes this post for Lazerus to sloth over??

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Who are these people you're referencing?

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
If Bowman said it, that wouldn't make it clear his job was secure though so we would have to hear from John or Rocky on that case. Just the last month has had Bowman quotes talking about how they are going to talk about it later but hadn't yet and he knew his situation wasn't completely secure.

So if Bowman made a statement he wouldn't be answering for his own role.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
If Bowman said it, that wouldn't make it clear his job was secure though so we would have to hear from John or Rocky on that case. Just the last month has had Bowman quotes talking about how they are going to talk about it later but hadn't yet and he knew his situation wasn't completely secure.

So if Bowman made a statement he wouldn't be answering for his own role.

we just had the GM meetings, Bowman was asked this multiple times - I don't think anyone would misunderstand him - pretty simple "yes, our coaching staff will return pending any changes Coach Q needs to make with his team, and ALL executive management including myself will be returning as well" ...hard to confuse that, but whatever seems odd it is McD doing it like this the way he has THROUGH Lazerus...

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
It obvious Q and Stan aren’t of the same page with regards to this team. I don’t know why the org thinks it’s going to fix itself. In my opinion you either fire one and get someone that works well with the other or clean house.

Standing still is madness.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
It obvious Q and Stan aren’t of the same page with regards to this team. I don’t know why the org thinks it’s going to fix itself. In my opinion you either fire one and get someone that works well with the other or clean house.

Standing still is madness.

Yep. As is thinking Crawford being healthy and the core playing to their capability(diminishing), solves the myriad of issues that this team has....

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Yep. As is thinking Crawford being healthy and the core playing to their capability(diminishing), solves the myriad of issues that this team has....

and that is my fear- they mainly think this is all on Crow not being healthy.

I am more optimistic than others here and think this team isn't far off from being a playoff team, but if they go into next year just getting a legit NHL backup goalie, and not addressing other needs like you pointed out (1 or 2 veteran dmen, another top 6 player) and rely on our promising youth and that all the vets get magically better - we will be better obviously as Crow could of won 7-8 games we lost since he was gone - but still not a playoff team.

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
I will never understand why either of these clowns are going to be back again after this horrible showing of a season only to re-peat the whole thing all over again yet again for another season, it's just ****ing astonishingly embarrassing and literally blows my mind that these guys aren't being held accountable and obviously have literally zero accountability. I'm pissed off.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
we just had the GM meetings, Bowman was asked this multiple times - I don't think anyone would misunderstand him - pretty simple "yes, our coaching staff will return pending any changes Coach Q needs to make with his team, and ALL executive management including myself will be returning as well" ...hard to confuse that, but whatever seems odd it is McD doing it like this the way he has THROUGH Lazerus...

The Gm telling the media he is not being fired seems odd to me. And that it doesn't come from his hire ups would seem even more odd in terms of media relations.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
All the same BS we heard last season. We are just hearing it a couple weeks earlier this season. Same coaching staff and mostly the same players coming back next year... tells me to set my expectations very, very low. This team may scrape their way into the playoffs next season with a healthy and elite Crawford, but they are going nowhere playing the same outdated, logic-defying systems...

Reactions: ChiHawks10

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
They are saying the right things but it is on the whole organization to fix the issues they had. I like seeing Toews mention the speed, hopefully his training backs up his acknowledgment of the game changing.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Can't say I'm thrilled, but ahh well. You gotta think both have short leashes and the noose is very tight.

In spite of that, I do have to agree that I don't think the core will improve.

Seabs and Keith are old. Even though by ever measure of it Keith should improve, it's not likely within smelling distance of Norris-calbre. Father time catches everyone. Seabs likley is what he is at this point, but Keith has to improve somewhat.
Kane has likely plateaued. He should still be an offensive driver but how much more can he realistically improve to have an impact if few others do?
Saad bloody well should improve. If he doesn't we need him off the roster.
Toews should bloody well improve, but history indicates this might just be what he is--a 20/50 center who's good at faceoffs and D.
Crawford in all likelihood won't "improve"--reason being a .930 goalie season with 50+ games in it would put him in one of the top-20 goaltender years of all time. I think it's completely reasonable to expect him to pull around a .920 if he returns. If he does, they should be enough for a playoff berth unless the skaters completely crap the bed again.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Pretty simple why Q is back...the Crawford excuse and the FACT he is still owed $12 million big ones on his contract ....easier to swallow just $6mil if Rocky fires him next season
..cause Crawford or no Crawford Q, will have run out of mulligans. ..

The facts are the Team "looks" and played horribly"...I have never seen an NHL team so INEPT at defending the D cone and GSILING to get pucks out ....exits are putrid. ..clears are constantly intercepted and kept in our zone...blind pass turnovers for no reason...weak stick check at toys. ..failure to take pucks away in battles...horrible face offs (except Toews) ...inability to shove guys off picks ,get puck back,and exit or clear crisply ..it Bothers me to see 3 of our guys around D a liosenpuck anf none of them take control and get it out.
.forwards in poor support for den. ..positioning way way off...no one in right spots or can do anything about puck retrieval and an exit without 2,2 or 3 mess-ups.. This MESS is on Q ..and Crawford cannot cure it...h3 can only limit the certain damage from such incompetence ..Bad players. ..maybe..but more so ...bad coaching for not fixing even half these problems...Their simply is no system working in our d'zo e or to prevent opposition entries so easily ..Either players not motivated to execute what coaches teaching hem or any coaching g staff tolerating such incompetence is doom in themselves to firing ...Q is charged with fixing messes and not just hiding behind his goalie to bail the team out.Q should be fired ..but as I said there are $12 million big ones preventing that with 2 years tango on his deal ..So he gets a 1 yr reprieve and unless Crawford syaysvhealthy and is sensational and Veziba worthy ,it will be another very poor season ..the bright side is we should be worse in the standings and a contender for the Jack Hughes sweepstakes next draft in 2019 ...If Q can get us to a bottom and we then win the 2019 lotto and get #1 (Jack Hughes) then all will be forgiven with Q by me...so Your Mission Impossible Q,is to mess things up again even more so such that we are in great lotto odds position and hopefully our Luck from the hockey gods will again turn providential...and our 2019/20 season will not be another annus horrobilis istead of an anus defecatus
as we have had to watch this season. But first our 2018/19 season has to be even more putrid than this season..and it should be easy to achieve that...for nobody in their right mind expects Toews to star again after 3 consecutive wretched seasons ...Nobody expects Seabs to magically find he can skate and keep up again...Nobody expect Keith at 35 going on 36 to show Co sister competence again ...Nobody expects our pp or pk to be top third in the league. ..Nobody expects us to magically get pucks back in our zo e and exit efficiently ...we might expect Saad to shoot better or Kane to go on as dion linger than half a season before quitting
.but those things alone still cannot compensate for the decline of 2 ,7, and 19...And Nobody expects the team to buy in to Q anymore ...so we ought to get a bottom 3 finish easy ...just Co time the "star" declines and continue to tune out Q ...we should have a great Crack at Jack Hughes...though it will be another tough season to endure...the watching painful in extremis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad