GDT: Boston Bruin's @ Detroit Red Wings - 8 EST - NBCSN

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
This has been beat to death over and over again in another thread. People are mad they are not given an official press release about his intentions? Lol, people feel like they are owed a direct response and the exact blue-print down to every strategic detail of their rebuild? LOL!!!11!!111

Okay. DERP!

If he was, in your fantasy world, was to reveal his intentions... what would it change? Aside from the entire team mailing it in to save pain. And the team learning bad habits to be the next Oilers, what does it solve? He's not trading til TDL. So what does it solve? So you can sleep better at night. Is that it? LOL

I theorize that Holland is very busy as of late.

receiving calls from FLA and EDM on Mrazek.

Reactions: Bench

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
Sheahan sucks. Wings couldn;t even give him away to Las Vegas. they took the better playing in Nosek instead.

UFA don't want to sign here. Jimmy D. said they are getting "slapped in the face" when they reach out to available players. Wings are not a destination players want to be right now. That explains why the contracts last as long as a rebuild should take. It;s all timed out

Sheahan isn't great agreed, but his contract was albatross, and somehow a cup contender found room for him and wanted him? One who just won back to back cups? Vegas didn't want him because they knew nose was a better value, just like we wanted Nose over Sheahan, he was a better value simple as that.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I theorize that Holland is very busy as of late.

receiving calls from FLA and EDM on Mrazek.

I'm sure someone in the hunt will want Mike Green. And maybe people are calling. He's probably keeping the best offers tucked away in his top drawer in his office while he waits for better offers to come in.

No big hurry to trade anyone.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Because they don't want to be the Oilers and Sabres and sell off too much, too fast which ruined the kids and compete level.

Sabres media talked about this in great detail. KH doesn;t want to be stupid and make the same mistakes that will ultimately set this team back an additional 30 years in a "rebuild"

You're not paying the salary, so why are you so hurt over it?

Holland has been making "stupid" deals for years now. He has mismanaged the team since the cap era began. He was a good GM when it was easy to outbid everyone else. Now, on an even playing field, he is clueless. The amount of bad contracts and bad trades he has made in the cap era is beyond ridiculous. He has mismanaged the team into the mess it is today, and can't even man up and admit the team is junk. Instead he spews nonsense "let's see where we are 15 games from now." I will tell you Ken, you will be a bottom 5 team with a top 5 salary.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Yup. they have good players and nobody there to help them grow. Crosby atleast had Mario. Throwing a bunch of former 1st overall players to the wolves does more harm than good. The proof is in the pudding.

Its because Holland mortgaged that in order to keep the streak going.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Sheahan isn't great agreed, but his contract was albatross, and somehow a cup contender found room for him and wanted him? One who just won back to back cups? Vegas didn't want him because they knew nose was a better value, just like we wanted Nose over Sheahan, he was a better value simple as that.

There's literally nothing I miss about Sheahan. Nothing. Even if he cost us $2 and stick of Slim Jim. I am glad we got some kind of return for him. So good on Kenny for turning garbage into a pick for Hakan Anersson to work his magic with.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
As he should. And any other hockey club in the world would do the same thing if they were in that same situation. That's just basic common sense. Casual fans don't care. But it's not up to them.

And like every team in the world they are entering a period of sucking hard, because most GMs are like heroin addicts; they don't care about anything other than continuing their high. Even if (and I reject that assertion) every other team is willing to sell 10 years of success for 1 more year of mediocrity, its not a requirement, and if the GM was half as smart as casual fans though he was, he wouldn't have.

And not every club is like that, look at clubs like Nashville.

Reactions: Syckle78

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
What's the difference between an "intentional" and an "unintentional" rebuild? The assumption that this particular result was unforeseen by management and, therefore, no preparations were made in its event? What I've read/heard in the past year tells me that assumption is inaccurate.

Spending to the cap, signing aging depth players to lifetime deals and overpaying veterans is not rebuilding. Holland tried to be a playoff team the past two years, he's failing.

Reactions: Run the Jewels

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Holland has been making "stupid" deals for years now. He has mismanaged the team since the cap era began. He was a good GM when it was easy to outbid everyone else. Now, on an even playing field, he is clueless. The amount of bad contracts and bad trades he has made in the cap era is beyond ridiculous. He has mismanaged the team into the mess it is today, and can't even man up and admit the team is junk. Instead he spews nonsense "let's see where we are 15 games from now." I will tell you Ken, you will be a bottom 5 team with a top 5 salary.

Lol, guess our GM needs to take the page out of the handbook of Avs and AZ... huh?

Lowest cap hit teams that sucked for what.... 2 decades or more? Brilliant idea, Hoss!

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Build an $80 million team so incompetently that it's the worst team the Wings have had since the first Bush administration. But apparently he did this on purpose.

How much of that payroll comes from before we missed the playoffs? To lump two distinct periods together and present them as the same thing in order to say we're not rebuilding is disingenuous.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Because they don't want to be the Oilers and Sabres and sell off too much, too fast which ruined the kids and compete level.

Sabres media talked about this in great detail. KH doesn;t want to be stupid and make the same mistakes that will ultimately set this team back an additional 30 years in a "rebuild"

You're not paying the salary, so why are you so hurt over it?

KH doesn't want to be stupid. $80 million payroll. third worst team in the league. You can't honestly tell me that this is how Holland envisioned this, or that it makes any sort of sense. And I'm not even someone who called this from the beginning, I thought they had it in them to be in the in the 15-20th best team area.

If you're looking for reasons why Edmonton still can't consistently compete, I think one reason is that they totally underestimated how imported Sekera is to their blueline. Oh, and they haven't drafted a quality player outside of the first round since 2002. They didn't burn things down too fast. They've been wholly incompetent at managing 80% of their picks for 15 years. With Buffalo, Bogosian has missed significant time, their backup goalie has been a sheet of poster board they tape up at the beginning of periods, and Lehner took the month of November off. Which might have been okay if his replacement wasn't, you know, poster board.

And we've went over the benefits of even minimal cap space in several threads already.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Not surprised.

The level of talent is average at best...The coaching staff is clueless...The GM is most likely in denial.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Spending to the cap, signing aging depth players to lifetime deals and overpaying veterans is not rebuilding. Holland tried to be a playoff team the past two years, he's failing.

It's actually the smartest way to rebuild. Give the young players hope and something to play for. I doubt Kenny really thought this team was a PO team. He set it up this way to fail. For picks. For rebuilding.

He just didn't send you a private message on HFboards to let you know... that why your mad?

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
There's literally nothing I miss about Sheahan. Nothing. Even if he cost us $2 and stick of Slim Jim. I am glad we got some kind of return for him. So good on Kenny for turning garbage into a pick for Hakan Anersson to work his magic with.

I understand and I agree, I'm glad we got some value back too, but what I was saying for everyone saying Holland has been proactive it setting us up to rebuild, it's only. Been by necessity when playoffs are out of the question and he was forced to make moves. He also was willing to offer Stamkos max money, on a roster already at 80 million. We would still be bad with Stamkos lol.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
It's actually the smartest way to rebuild. Give the young players hope and something to play for. I doubt Kenny really thought this team was a PO team. He set it up this way to fail. For picks. For rebuilding.

I do agree in the philosophy of not selling the whole farm and hoping the cattle still survive, but also keeping the whole thing whole you go bankrupt doesn't help either, you find the happy middle which he hasn't yet, and won't because someone else will take over.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
KH doesn't want to be stupid. $80 million payroll. third worst team in the league. You can't honestly tell me that this is how Holland envisioned this, or that it makes any sort of sense. And I'm not even someone who called this from the beginning, I thought they had it in them to be in the in the 15-20th best team area.

If you're looking for reasons why Edmonton still can't consistently compete, I think one reason is that they totally underestimated how imported Sekera is to their blueline. Oh, and they haven't drafted a quality player outside of the first round since 2002. They didn't burn things down too fast. They've been wholly incompetent at managing 80% of their picks for 15 years. With Buffalo, Bogosian has missed significant time, their backup goalie has been a sheet of poster board they tape up at the beginning of periods, and Lehner took the month of November off. Which might have been okay if his replacement wasn't, you know, poster board.

And we've went over the benefits of even minimal cap space in several threads already.

I'm not looking for a reason. I already know why. It's been beat to death on many different threads.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
How much of that payroll comes from before we missed the playoffs? To lump two distinct periods together and present them as the same thing in order to say we're not rebuilding is disingenuous.

So, he's only responsible for blowing up his cap for whatever he's done since last June? The first years of Gator and Helm's new deals were last year, does Holland skate on them? Right there is $8 million. Daley takes it up to $11 million that could easily have been shaved. Even if you want to keep Gator, shave the other two and at least we have room to call people up from GR without using LTIR or going with an artificially short roster.

This team's been trending down for awhile. Holland should have had some foresight that some of these deals weren't necessary, and pulling in more picks two or three years ago would have been worth more than trying to scrape an extra year or two out on the streak. So, no, I don't really give him much benefit of the doubt for lacking foresight.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Lol, guess our GM needs to take the page out of the handbook of Avs and AZ... huh?

Lowest cap hit teams that sucked for what.... 2 decades or more? Brilliant idea, Hoss!

The Avs and Coyotes have stockpiled tons of young talent.

To be completely honest with you I would rather watch a team lose every game with young players than a team lose every game with a bunch of washed up vets. We lose every game, yet we have a payroll of a team who should be competing. We have lost 10 of the last 11 games with a team at the salary cap.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA

Which aging depth players has he signed to lifetime deals in the past year? Which veterans have been signed since the last trade deadline that we're overpaying? Two years ago this team was a playoff team. Then it wasn't, even though on paper it appeared they very well could be. Again, what makes you think management hasn't planned for this eventuality? That's what the "didn't really mean it" argument boils down to and the fact that numbers are being thrown in from the time they were still a playoff team tells me the argument is weaksauce.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I'm sure someone in the hunt will want Mike Green. And maybe people are calling. He's probably keeping the best offers tucked away in his top drawer in his office while he waits for better offers to come in.

No big hurry to trade anyone.

I also theorize

that both Green and Mrazek are on their way out.

Mrazek we are looking for best pick possible or young prospect. Infact we wont be resigning Mrazek at all next year, even if he is not traded. (at any salary range). So consider Mrazek a UFA we do not intend to resign.

What prospects (if any) from FLA would we be interested in?

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
So, he's only responsible for blowing up his cap for whatever he's done since last June? The first years of Gator and Helm's new deals were last year, does Holland skate on them? Right there is $8 million. Daley takes it up to $11 million that could easily have been shaved. Even if you want to keep Gator, shave the other two and at least we have room to call people up from GR without using LTIR or going with an artificially short roster.

This team's been trending down for awhile. Holland should have had some foresight that some of these deals weren't necessary, and pulling in more picks two or three years ago would have been worth more than trying to scrape an extra year or two out on the streak. So, no, I don't really give him much benefit of the doubt for lacking foresight.

Don't forget Nielsen and his 5.2 mil cap hit

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA

Both Gator and Helm were signed while were still a playoff team. So you got Daley and ... not accounting for the people who've been traded? Let's not confuse the issue of how badly the team was put together for the PURPOSE of staying in the playoffs with are we rebuilding right now, please. Still waiting for proof that none of these events were not foreseen by management.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
The Avs and Coyotes have stockpiled tons of young talent.

To be completely honest with you I would rather watch a team lose every game with young players than a team lose every game with a bunch of washed up vets. We lose every game, yet we have a payroll of a team who should be competing. We have lost 10 of the last 11 games with a team at the salary cap.

Yeah Oilers already done/do that. It's very great! I'm sure the fans love drafting Hall, RNH, Yak, Mdvaid, and still being the bottom 3rd of the NHL. Atleast they have those 1st rounders to watch!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad