Player Discussion Bobby Ryan Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I would have traded Ryan before spezza. (I realize that wasn't necessarily the choice) spezza last two years have actually been pretty decently. Especially last year. Thisyear is still not bad but the defence and goaltending on that team is hhhooooorid

Spezza would be injured more than Ryan if we continued to rely on him as a 1C. The beauty of Dallas for Spezza is that he could play 'leftover' minutes in a zero pressure situation.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Spezza would be injured more than Ryan if we continued to rely on him as a 1C. The beauty of Dallas for Spezza is that he could play 'leftover' minutes in a zero pressure situation.

I would had no issue with him splitting duties with turris and zibanejad. Three headed monster.

He wouldn't have to carry anything

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
But that's the problem. Pushing Spezza into the 1C role and trying to carry the team, we'd be lucky to get 40 games a year from him.
He would actually have scoring wingers to take the pressure off him like he should have had all along when here.. Hoffman would probably be pushing for 40 goals instead of 30 and Karlsson would easily be a ppg player.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
We did in 2013-14; with Ryan. Missed the playoffs. Spezza -26.

Oh yeah when he came back from rehab early so the org could save face after the Alfie situation and couldn't even sit up straight or skate. And Murray was trying to run the team from pretty much every angle, still thought cowen was the next Zdeno chara.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Spezza sucked ,in his last few seasons here .Far too slow/weak and ineffective at 5 on 5 play.With Turris and Zibby needing more icetime he was the obvious one to go .Add what he was as a player a NMC and a 7.5 caphit ,and its pretty easy to see why he didnt get much in return.I dont miss him at all

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Spezza sucked ,in his last few seasons here .Far too slow/weak and ineffective at 5 on 5 play.With Turris and Zibby needing more icetime he was the obvious one to go .Add what he was as a player a NMC and a 7.5 caphit ,and its pretty easy to see why he didnt get much in return.I dont miss him at all
And yet he would still be the 2nd best player for us if he were here. You see to love players who suck because you're always defending them.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

I know you misspoke so I won't jump all over you. But his "last few seasons here" were one season where he was 5th in Hart votes. A season in which he played 5 games and then the last season. Which was bad for a ton of reasons. But oddly. Turned good when he got hemsky. And actually almost got us into the playoffs. I think we only finished 5 points out

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I know you misspoke so I won't jump all over you. But his "last few seasons here" were one season where he was 5th in Hart votes. A season in which he played 5 games and then the last season. Which was bad for a ton of reasons. But oddly. Turned good when he got hemsky. And actually almost got us into the playoffs. I think we only finished 5 points out

I didnt misspeak ,Spezza was and still is a player that needs to be sheltered in an offensive role ,before the back injury i would have agreed .But after he was done as a every shift every situation top 6 center.We at the time didnt have the depth both on defense and up front to support a player like him ,it was the right time to move on from him .We can remember the good days of the Pizza line all we want ,but the last seasons of Spezza wasnt pretty here :nod:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I didnt misspeak ,Spezza was and still is a player that needs to be sheltered in an offensive role ,before the back injury i would have agreed .But after he was done as a every shift every situation top 6 center.We at the time didnt have the depth both on defense and up front to support a player like him ,it was the right time to move on from him .We can remember the good days of the Pizza line all we want ,but the last seasons of Spezza wasnt pretty here :nod:

Again. 5th in Hart votes. He was an all out dominant top center in 11-12. 12-13 he got injured. 13-14he couldn't skate. But looked so much better as the season went on and When we got him an actual winger. Aaaand we got the depth to help him out literally the season after we traded him.

The years in Dallas he has pretty much been an all situation top 6 center. Last year they had him on last minute winning faceoffs in the playoffs. He's not some Mickey Mouse player lmao.

Edit: The guy had 30+ goals last year. You can say that only because he's "insulated" screw that lol. Most players in the NHL are "insulated". They're not scoring 33 goals.

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Again. 5th in Hart votes. He was an all out dominant top center in 11-12. 12-13 he got injured. 13-14he couldn't skate. But looked so much better as the season went on and When we got him an actual winger. Aaaand we got the depth to help him out literally the season after we traded him.

The years in Dallas he has pretty much been an all situation top 6 center. Last year they had him on last minute winning faceoffs in the playoffs. He's not some Mickey Mouse player lmao.
And Dallas is where again ??They are terrible defensively and have been for quite some time .With Dallas not be able to score at will ,and win games 6 to 5 .This becomes even more problematic ,as its hard enough to score in this league .But to base your team around be able to always outscore the opposition has Dallas stuck in no mans land now .

Spezza is not a player that can do much other than score with easy mins ,and now with him having 12 goals this season even that has failed him .So no thank you to Spezza he was done when we moved him and even moreso now :nod:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

Since the Pizza line he carried everyone he played with. He got Michalek and Greening contract extensions because of how good he was. They both aren't even in the league anymore.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Since the Pizza line he carried everyone he played with. He got Michalek and Greening contract extensions because of how good he was. They both aren't even in the league anymore.
Spezza doesnt carry anyone anymore ,nor has he done this in Dallas

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
And Dallas is where again ??They are terrible defensively and have been for quite some time .With Dallas not be able to score at will ,and win games 6 to 5 .This becomes even more problematic ,as its hard enough to score in this league .But to base your team around be able to always outscore the opposition has Dallas stuck in no mans land now .

Spezza is not a player that can do much other than score with easy mins ,and now with him having 12 goals this season even that has failed him .So no thank you to Spezza he was done when we moved him and even moreso now :nod:
Can't wait to hear you praise Ryan for the next 5 years. It's going to be funny.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Nah.

Spezza was starting a decline, and injuries were starting to take effect, but he wasn't in "sucks" territory.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

I never said Dallas was built well. Their goalies can't stop pucks. And their defence can't do anything.
Lmao and Dallas is where. What kind of question is that. Where was Dallas last year? Where was Ottawa? But of course spezza had nothing to do that. He only had a huge part in Dallas failures. Their successes? Naaaahhhh. Much like his rep in Ottawa.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Can't wait to hear you praise Ryan for the next 5 years. It's going to be funny.
And what does Ryan have to do with this conversation??I agree Ryan hasnt been good at all this season .But you two are just talking nonsense about Spezza after he came back from those injuries he became a liabilty 5 on 5 .And was a diminished asset.His 33 goals are a nice stat line ,but in reality he has been a slow one way player for quite some time:nod:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Spezza doesnt carry anyone anymore ,nor has he done this in Dallas
He did it for years in Ottawa. When you join a new team the dynamic changes and so does comfortability. New coach new system different players where as in Ottawa he was a foundation piece who had chemistry with the best Dman in the league and almost anyone you put on his line not named Ryan.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I never said Dallas was built well. Their goalies can't stop pucks. And their defence can't do anything.
Lmao and Dallas is where. What kind of question is that. Where was Dallas last year? Where was Ottawa? But of course spezza had nothing to do that. He only had a huge part in Dallas failures. Their successes? Naaaahhhh. Much like his rep in Ottawa.
And is defense only goaltending and defensemen???This is the problem with too many here ,the forwards have just as much to do with defense as the defense has to do with scoring .
Spezza doesnt backcheck ,even when he was at his zenith he wasnt a good defensive player .Now you add in the boatload of injuries and even more reduced speed from a so/so skater.And you get the even more one dimensional player.Dallas will never have a good defensive game if they have to carry Spezza,s terrible defensive game in their top 6

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
And what does Ryan have to do with this conversation??I agree Ryan hasnt been good at all this season .But you two are just talking nonsense about Spezza after he came back from those injuries he became a liabilty 5 on 5 .And was a diminished asset.His 33 goals are a nice stat line ,but in reality he has been a slow one way player for quite some time:nod:

WEll the convo started with me saying I would have traded Ryan before spezza.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
And is defense only goaltending and defensemen???This is the problem with too many here ,the forwards have just as much to do with defense as the defense has to do with scoring .
Spezza doesnt backcheck ,even when he was at his zenith he wasnt a good defensive player .Now you add in the boatload of injuries and even more reduced speed from a so/so skater.And you get the even more one dimensional player.Dallas will never have a good defensive game if they have to carry Spezza,s terrible defensive game in their top 6

When the goaltending and defence is AS BAD as it is in Dallas. Yes. It is MOSTLY on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad