Status
Not open for further replies.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Continue on..

Old thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2128295

Last posts:

I still think he has looked better since coming back from injury, but no question his numbers are putrid this year.

The worst part is that I'm still fairly confident he'll be protected going into expansion.

he wouldn't even be picked if he was exposed.

Ryan will not be protected. Makes little sense to do so.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
If management protects Ryan b/c they don't want to hurt his feelings I will not be impressed.

If they protect Ryan b/c they think he's super important to the future and would rather protect someone else... I will be even less impressed.

But either way... please don't expose someone to protect Ryan.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
If management protects Ryan b/c they don't want to hurt his feelings I will not be impressed.

If they protect Ryan b/c they think he's super important to the future and would rather protect someone else... I will be even less impressed.

But if they expose it - that's because they are cheap and don't want to pay his contract. :sarcasm:
Either way nothing to be impressed about.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
With the way Bobby's season is going, I'm starting to lose hope Vegas will take him off our hands. Can't he at least go on one of his hot streaks in the last 5 games so they are fooled into considering it?

Yourkeyparka

Oct 15, 2010
I was a big fan of Bobby at the beginning. But man, he has really done nothing to prove his detractors wrong. He is satisfied to make a hit or take a shot once a shift and thinks thats good enough. No burning desire to be anything more than striving for "satisfactory" in any performance review. No "eye of the tiger". more "eye of the kitten". Ugh. He's dead to me. Let's see how he helps down the stretch to the playoffs - it will tell us everything about him going forward. Over to you Bobby !

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
He's obviously going to be exposed, and Vegas aren't going to go anywhere near his contract. He's got 5 years left on his ticket after this season - perhaps if he had 2 or 3 years, but the risk associated with his contract is huge. Even for an expansion team.

Where is Ryan's career heading? We don't know - nobody really knows. He has a lot of negatives around him; serious injuries (sports hernia, hand), questionable commitment to fitness, wrong side of 30, a recent drop in production. He has something like 15 goals in his last 90 games or close to that. That's pretty scary, and we're getting close to the point where maybe it isn't just a slump.

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
I hope the scouts that didn't see his production in Anaheim was almost entirely linemate-based were fired.

He is a $3M player making $7M, and while I admire that he is doing the little things to add value like fighting for crease presence, I am not impressed that he hasn't tried to up his game with a serious workout program.

Catch 22: he needs to be bought out for the good of the team, yet there is no chance our owner would spend a dollar to make up for the mistake he engineered.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I hope the scouts that didn't see his production in Anaheim was almost entirely linemate-based were fired.

He is a $3M player making $7M, and while I admire that he is doing the little things to add value like fighting for crease presence, I am not impressed that he hasn't tried to up his game with a serious workout program.

Catch 22: he needs to be bought out for the good of the team, yet there is no chance our owner would spend a dollar to make up for the mistake he engineered.

1) His production in Ottawa was fantastic in his first year. Nearly 30 goal/55 point pace despite playing a big chunk of the season hurt. Not to mention, during the first half of the season, the guy was playing like a superstar.

2) Guy needs to be kidnapped by Gary Roberts.

3) Buying him out doesn't help us. Part of his contract is structured with signing bonuses. He makes about 7.5M a season for the last 5 years of his contract, but 2M of that per season is buyout proof. Combine that with the fact that a replacement player would cost at least 650k, a buyout would cost us around 4.5M a season in real money for the next five seasons and then almost 2M a season for five more seasons after that.

At that price, it'd make a lot more sense to trade Ryan with retained salary, or while taking back a bad contract. Or simply to bite the bullet and keep him. Assuming AJ Jakubec was correct, we know a few months ago the Senators could have traded Ryan for a "contender's top 6 forward" who they presumably like Ryan better than. I would assume we're talking about someone else who is under performing on a bad contract.

The most logical opportunity to get out of Ryan's contract would be through making a deal with Vegas. Vegas could benefit from Ryan to an extent considering the lack of scoring (I know...) forwards that'll be available to them and his name value. The Sens could give Vegas something extra to take Ryan and sell it as a move they had to make to "keep Cody Ceci or Marc Methot" (even know we know that's not entirely true....).

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I was a big fan of Bobby at the beginning. But man, he has really done nothing to prove his detractors wrong. He is satisfied to make a hit or take a shot once a shift and thinks thats good enough. No burning desire to be anything more than striving for "satisfactory" in any performance review. No "eye of the tiger". more "eye of the kitten". Ugh. He's dead to me. Let's see how he helps down the stretch to the playoffs - it will tell us everything about him going forward. Over to you Bobby !

Hate to say it this way, but I think the "tiger" passed away this summer. Considering Ryan's background and the circumstances how he was raised, I get the impression the passion was more to do with not letting down his mom. She sacrificed everything for him to play....perhaps his passion all along was for his mom and to help her with an NHL paycheck, and not the game itself?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The Bobby Ryan experiment has failed. Continuing to try and find a role for him is wasting everyone's time. He needs a change of scenery. Give Vegas a 1st and ask them to take Ryan in the draft.

As per buyout:

Last edited:

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
The only thing in my mind that can save Bobby is being lined up with Mac and Turris.

I'm also at the point where I would be ok with the Sens giving Vegas a pick to take him, and that sounds like crazy talk.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Very bad move. Another very bad move by management. Another 'lost' trade. We're suffering from being outmaneuvered off the ice by other managers as much as we are by play on the ice.

We've been on the wrong side of way too many deals recently (and historically.... hell Hossa has 25 goals). I would rather we didn't make about 75% of the trades we have over the last five years. If management just stood pat and we iced the players we had we'd be a better team. Pretty tired of cheering for an organization that can't find a way to work through any sort of 'drama' issues. This is a badly run organization.

We pay a guy 7 million dollars and we're seriously at a place where an expansion team might not take him in the expansion draft. That is an epic level of bad.

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
Very bad move. Another very bad move by management. Another 'lost' trade. We're suffering from being outmaneuvered off the ice by other managers as much as we are by play on the ice.

We've been on the wrong side of way too many deals recently (and historically.... hell Hossa has 25 goals). I would rather we didn't make about 75% of the trades we have over the last five years. If management just stood pat and we iced the players we had we'd be a better team. Pretty tired of cheering for an organization that can't find a way to work through any sort of 'drama' issues. This is a badly run organization.

We pay a guy 7 million dollars and we're seriously at a place where an expansion team might not take him in the expansion draft. That is an epic level of bad.

I am impressed you managed to put it quite mildly...

Yourkeyparka

Oct 15, 2010
New movie - "Saving Bobby Ryan"...an NHL manager has to enter the draft and make the Sens an offer they can't refuse...oh wait...that's the plot from the Godfather. :D

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Maybe I'm way off but it seems from various things that happened or were reported Ryan hasn't had really good summer training. At least it appears something always seems to happen every summer that interferes with it. Injuries and/or surgery going into the off season. Didn't he take the long way getting back to Ottawa one summer on an RV trip. Wasn't there a rink problem where he lived so he only got to do some pickup skating with kids and whatnot. Were there not family obligations/situations that fell during the off season and curtailed his training at least 2 or 3 summers. Don't have exact details just vague recollections.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
With the way Bobby's season is going, I'm starting to lose hope Vegas will take him off our hands. Can't he at least go on one of his hot streaks in the last 5 games so they are fooled into considering it?

They would be morons if they took him.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere

This franchise has always been way too over-sentimental with it's players at times.. that and an insistence on wanting to have 'Ottawa Valley Guys' on this team. Does anyone here really give a **** whether Ottawa has players from the Ottawa area on this team? I certainly don't.

I'm not sure how many people around here follow the NFL closely, but this franchise as a whole needs to develop a more Bill Belichick way of thinking. He cuts players left, right and centre if they are not playing up to the standards necessary to win...and he's won 5 championships as a head coach because of it. For the amount of money he's being paid, a guy like Bobby Ryan would have been cut a long time ago if he played for someone like Bill. Brassard would be on the hot seat as well.

Stop coddling and giving players free passes all the time for their mediocre play. It's a business at the end of the day and they understand that I hope. This franchise has moved on from players who were far more productive during their time here than what Bobby Ryan and Brassard. Quite honestly, I say give both of them until the end of next season to prove their worth to this team. If they are still as hot and cold as they are right now, just send them packing

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
This franchise has always been way too over-sentimental with it's players at times.. that and an insistence on wanting to have 'Ottawa Valley Guys' on this team. Does anyone here really give a **** whether Ottawa has players from the Ottawa area on this team? I certainly don't.

I'm not sure how many people around here follow the NFL closely, but this franchise as a whole needs to develop a more Bill Belichick way of thinking. He cuts players left, right and centre if they are not playing up to the standards necessary to win...and he's won 5 championships as a head coach because of it. For the amount of money he's being paid, a guy like Bobby Ryan would have been cut a long time ago if he played for someone like Bill. Brassard would be on the hot seat as well.

Stop coddling and giving players free passes all the time for their mediocre play. It's a business at the end of the day and they understand that I hope. This franchise has moved on from players who were far more productive during their time here than what Bobby Ryan and Brassard. Quite honestly, I say give both of them until the end of next season to prove their worth to this team. If they are still as hot and cold as they are right now, just send them packing
If the NFL had guaranteed contracts Bill would not have won 5 titles. He would be stuck with bad players. I agree though that you get rid of Ryan anyway possible. The problem with management here is they are too slow to recognize a problem. They always want to wait it out until it is too late. When has that ever worked out for us? We could have made a package including Ceci to get Drouin. Drouin is exactly what our top 6 is missing. This team owes nothing to Ryan. He was a hired gun who is shooting blanks. Ryan has done nothing with his time here to warrant any love from this fan base.

When will management wake up?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
5 games where he could turn his legacy in the city around. It won't happen, because it never happens with Bobby Ryan, but if it ever was going to happen, the table is set (but it won't happen because it never happens with Bobby Ryan)

All the **** hes gone though with having to replace Alfie, all the times he never came in hot - as an athelete and for his own mental sanity, just bottle up all that anger/frustration and get out there and play like a savage psychopath possessed for 120 minutes versus Detroit. Just play angry and mean for 120 minutes.

Bobby Ryan needs to stop playing like he's the nicest guy in the NHL, trying to set everyone up, trying to include his teammates in every play, just get out there and be the Arrogant American, the puck is yours next game and no one can take it from you, it's your ice, it's your puck, it's your game. Play with your Ego all out Bobby, stop trying to be the hero to your teammates, get out there and dominate Detroit back to back.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
5 games where he could turn his legacy in the city around. It won't happen, because it never happens with Bobby Ryan, but if it ever was going to happen, the table is set (but it won't happen because it never happens with Bobby Ryan)

All the **** hes gone though with having to replace Alfie, all the times he never came in hot - as an athelete and for his own mental sanity, just bottle up all that anger/frustration and get out there and play like a savage psychopath possessed for 120 minutes versus Detroit. Just play angry and mean for 120 minutes.

Bobby Ryan needs to stop playing like he's the nicest guy in the NHL, trying to set everyone up, trying to include his teammates in every play, just get out there and be the Arrogant American, the puck is yours next game and no one can take it from you, it's your ice, it's your puck, it's your game. Play with your Ego all out Bobby, stop trying to be the hero to your teammates, get out there and dominate Detroit back to back.
Cool story bro.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Silfverberg is literally better than him at every aspect of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad