TSN: Bob McKenzie: Senators involved in trade dialogue for Karlsson with half-dozen teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
ya that's possible. it's quite the **** show over the past two months

it was the usual 3 on the panel. They all had their turn to talk about us trading Karlsson. It will certainly give them lots to talk about and it'll play well in Toronto.

Yup, just playing to their audience.

The strange thing is that the Leafs were never mentioned as a possible trading partner and that most Leaf fans were just crapping their pants that EK would end up in TB.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Ya could be a wakeup call for the team

The roster we had should have been more than good enough to be fighting for a spot

I can also understand not wanting to be mediocre

Lets see what happens at the draft
I think its a rebuild. They don't have a suitable #2 centre with all due respect to Pageau.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I just dont understand trading Brassard if we aren't rebuilding. Unless they really are confident with Pageau-White-Brown-Paul as the bottom 3 centers.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I just dont understand trading Brassard if we aren't rebuilding. Unless they really are confident with Pageau-White-Brown-Paul as the bottom 3 centers.
Could move Smith in there too... At one point Dorion did mention taking 2 steps back to take 1 forward

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
There are enough pieces here with this team to field a competitive product next season. No need to blow anything up.

This is actually a great PR opportunity for Melnyk to rebuild his image. I can see a lot of positive outcomes if he wants to pursue that avenue. This franchise could easily turn itself around in a few months.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Maybe some whiz kid can start a crowd funding project to re-sign Karlsson, they only need to raise about $100 mil over 8 yrs. :laugh:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Two happy campers :laugh: with genuine smiles
$

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It really doesn't matter what anyone says at this point, posters like Sensing will just twist whatever it is into more conspiracy. PD obviously made it clear they were hockey deals to assuage the fears of fans. As usual the same folks feel free to take Dorion at his word when convenient, and as a liar when it's not.

To me this looks like perhaps things aren't as brutal as presented by the media building up to the TDL. Perhaps there is a chance on EK re-signing, perhaps my original feelings were correct. Given what both parties are saying, and despite folks and media singularly focusing on the negative spin, this all could very well be indicative of a good chance that EK stays.

It is actually refreshing to see that our GM was willing to listen to offers on everyone leading up to the deadline given how terrible this team has been this year. We've wanted a GM that is not afraid to step on some toes, and a guy who is not content with mediocrity, or pure garbage. Well, maybe this is what it looks like.

If EK and PD have a good relationship a deal can be made. EK has to buy into a retool, as one is o obviously needed, and PD will have to pay the man at least 10 million as season. The money has always been there for our players, so there is absolutely no precedent for it not to be there this time, and a ton of examples why we should assume that it is.

The message to me is that PD means business. He'll go get players to help the club when needed, and will trade players away when the team underperforms. As we all know, we have the pieces to build a solid young team around EK, Duch, Chabot and Stone, guys that buy in stay, guys that don't leave. We tried to 'go all in for EK' approach and got super close, but now it's time to 'retool for the Sens' and everyone on the team has to buy in, fans included.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
The weird part is, the best way to save money as we all assume the owner is trying to do and seems to be the sole focus in this case is to sell collect your cheque and move on, drastically cutting all budgets in hopes of what occurring is my question for the current owner...what is the end goal? I think that is what we all would like and deserve to know.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
The message to me is that PD means business. He'll go get players to help the club when needed, and will trade players away when the team underperforms. As we all know, we have the pieces to build a solid young team around EK, Duch, Chabot and Stone, guys that buy in stay, guys that don't leave. We tried to 'go all in for EK' approach and got super close, but now it's time to 'retool for the Sens' and everyone on the team has to buy in, fans included.

The Sens never executed a "go all in for EK approach".

They could easily have done so this summer with the playoff revenue and expansion fee, but instead of ditching the budget and adding quality pieces (as they promised they would), they forced EK to play with a 1st pairing partner they just put on waivers.

No twisting...just the facts.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Man ,we got played by TB/NY ,waste of freaken time...Stevie Y ,knew he could get Macd the whole time and slow played us ...To keep EK out of the playoffs,unless he was going to TB on a deal that he liked......I say f*** TB dont deal with golden boy anymore.....

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Karlsson: I never wanted to leave; I love it in Ottawa

The king speaks. FYI... HE SAYS ALL THE RIGHT THINGS <3

He refers to "the big boss' division". Is he talking about Melnyk or Dorion?

Either way, I'm not surprised by this presser. He genuinely wants to stay in Ottawa. If he didn't, we'd know. He's not a very good liar and usually tells the truth. He couldn't even lie about his injury after the Boston series last year, which is the most basic lie hockey players tell.

Aurilius

Nov 12, 2015
Hostage in Canada's Basement
Yzerman may have kept us from dealing Karlsson when we shouldn't, and forced extra time for cooler heads to prevail. Then he racked the Rangers for their captain and best Dman, and their Number 2 center for an inferior center, 2 prospects (however good) and 2 very late firsts.

I would be thanking him if it weren't for the fact he just fleece'd my number 2 team.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Yzerman may have kept us from dealing Karlsson when we shouldn't, and forced extra time for cooler heads to prevail. Then he racked the Rangers for their captain and best Dman, and their Number 2 center for an inferior center, and 2 very late firsts.

I would be thanking him if it weren't for the fact he just fleece'd my number 2 team.

I wonder if that was the same insulting deal PD said someone was making for Karlsson?

Reactions: topshelf15

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think now it boils down to ..

1. Does Erik want to sign and be part of the 2 steps back 1 forward plan vs be traded to a team that can win sooner?
2. Does Dorion think he can resign Karlsson to the right $ figure vs trading him for a close to fair return?
3. How much the budget and Melnyk will play a role with either of their decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad