TSN: Bob McKenzie: Senators involved in trade dialogue for Karlsson with half-dozen teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Before they lock this thread just want to give a big FU to Bob Mackenzie, Travis Yost, Darren Dreger, Nick Kypreos, James Duthie for his stupid twitter comment, Terry Marcotte (who planted the Bobby Ryan angle and then all the Insiders acted like they knew all along about that ******ed angle), Elliot Friedman. You can all go **** yourselves, you bunch of *****. They yanked our chains when in reality the enormity of the situation was put through us for a ratings bonanza.

The only good to come of it was brain5or6 getting some love nationwide. Hell, worldwide. My gut feeling was when Karlsson was jokingly going into Tampa's room means he and Dorion knew nothing was going to happen. Him following brian5or 6 cinched it, really.

Most stressful TDL ever.

Also, a special shout out to all those on the board for adding fuel to the fire...

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Melnyck is a destroyer, the company he founded he was kicked out of and cost hundreds of million of dollars of damage, he's divorced, Alfie hates him, EK hates him, the city hates him, Anselmi couldn't stand him for more then 300 days, his staff is fed up with him, Crosby doesn't like him, Dave Cameron doesn't like him he's pissed of the NHL and Bettman and probably a lot of other owners.

Everything he touches turns to crapola. It's a lack of leadership. Making money is a skill, it has nothing to do with leadership, tempered ego or being a builder and a positive relationship person.

I kinda get the feeling you don't like him??

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The thing with the LeBreton bid is that he's not going to make his money back for years. Based on my readings of the plans, most of the money they will earn will come from condo sales, so it's going to be years and years before he sees profits on his initial investments.

So his options are years of work for an eventual payoff, or sell now for a massive payoff, even though it may be a bit less than the cumulative payoff after years of work.

I have no doubt that he could sell the franchise today for $600M, if not more, and ride off into the sunset. If I was him, after nearly dying not too long ago, that would be something to seriously consider.

But not sell the CTC?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Garrioch doesn't think that the Sens wanted to trade Karlsson at all, and none of the teams in on him were anywhere near close.

Maybe insisting on taking Ryan was a poison pill that would have ensured that only a crazy GM would make an acceptable offer.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Dorion's wake up call and him changing the country club atmosphere of the team?

What does Ken Hitchcock say is one of his main coaching philosophies - 'before you can build something up you have to burn it down?'

Maybe this is Dorion burning down the sense of security within the team so he can rebuild it this summer? With EK as his leader.

Good point.
I've noticed a big difference in post game interviews (after losses) between some obvious "Country Club players" and other players such as Mark Stone, who should be the Captain in my opinion.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Given that the conversation is shifting towards gun violence and it's effect on UFA signings, it's safe to say this thread has run it's course and any future talk can happen in a generic trades thread, let's put this puppy to bed and forget the tire fire of media coverage on this one. We can launch up another round of nerve racking speculation in June when the draft approaches.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Dorion is the one who went all in for EK, but within the bounds set by Melnyk. These bounds are the reason we had to move Turris in order to get Duchene.

I'm starting to think Dorion might actually be the one who genuinely wants to trade Karlsson. If Melnyk keeps the internal cap in place, it would be impossible to ever field a competitive team if Karlsson makes $12m. The only way to have a chance with an internal cap is to have a Vegas approach and have a young, fast and deep team with a good coach/system, and no superstar. That's how we were competitive back in 1998-2003 when our owner was even more broke than Melnyk, and other teams could spend as much as possible because there was no cap. Trading Karlsson could give us a huge jump in that direction.

Nashville has been a budget team for their whole existence and has Subban (they've increased the budget to approach the cap as they got better).

The problem is that you need to be getting better goaltending for what you are paying, Doiron needs to weasel out of the Ryan and Gaborik deals, and you need them to never ever sign another Oduya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad