TSN: Bob McKenzie: Senators involved in trade dialogue for Karlsson with half-dozen teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
The reality is Ottawa Senators’ general manager Pierre Dorion has been, and still is, engaged in some level of trade dialogue for Karlsson with multiple NHL teams, certainly more than a half-dozen.

To the best of our knowledge, the Senators have not received formal offers on Karlsson. The discussions that have taken place thus far were more Dorion laying out the general parameters of what a Karlsson deal would need to look like from Ottawa’s end.
There’s been talk of it taking five or six or maybe seven pieces that could include some combination of good, young roster players, top prospects and first-round picks.

The Senators have let it be known that the number of notable pieces in the price could be discounted somewhat if Ryan and his contract are taken on as part of any Karlsson deal. The oft-injured, soon-to-be 31-year-old, who has never scored for Ottawa the way he did for Anaheim, has another four years on a contract that pays him $7.5 million per season with an annual cap hit of $7.25 million.

Sens considering Karlsson trade options - Article - TSN

Reactions: RedWhiteBrown

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Significant development by the most respected insider in the industry deserved it's own thread imo.

I don't think it's significant development, it's about the same as was reported prior.. but yeah , Bobby Mac doesn't generally just say stuff for ratings.

Then again, everyone has a boss, and it's almost TradeCentre time.

Part of me hopes Dorion is just laying out a ridiculous ask so no one will offer anything, almost as a way to tell Melnyk, 'sorry I tried to get rid of more salary, but this is the best we can do". Too optimistic by half probably.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
I don't think it's significant development, it's about the same as was reported prior.. but yeah , Bobby Mac doesn't generally just say stuff for ratings.

Then again, everyone has a boss, and it's almost TradeCentre time.

Part of me hopes Dorion is just laying out a ridiculous ask so no one will offer anything, almost as a way to tell Melnyk, 'sorry I trade to get rid of more salary, but this is the best we can do". Too optimistic by half probably.
This.

It’s Dorion saying that if you want Erik, it’s going to hurt. If not in hockey players, then in money.

I have no problem with this. If he weren’t doing this then he’s not found his job.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Wow discounting the Karlsson deal to take Ryan and we dont have our own first next year. What a ****ing joke. If this happens I really hope every sens fan gets organized and doesnt show up to the rink for 1 game. Just 1 game of no one showing up to show we wont stand for this horse****.
It’s a speculative article. And if it is true dorion isn’t gonna butcher the return over Ryan. It’s gonna be take Ryan with karlsson for the original cost or don’t get karlsson

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Dorion would be crazy not to listen to trade offers for Karlsson. Look at the load Quebec City/Colorado got for Eric Lindros.
Every GM listens to offers for every player. The whole “he would slam the phone” is a saying. That’s it. If I call someone and say yeah want this guys how’s X y Z”. Boom. They listened.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Its going to be hard to cheer for this team if they trade the best defenseman in the league.

Would that not put re-signing Duchene at risk? He asked for a trade from colorado to play in the playoffs.
If EK leaves for a rock bottom price, might as well sell of all the prime assets...And go back to an expansion level roster

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It’s a speculative article. And if it is true dorion isn’t gonna butcher the return over Ryan. It’s gonna be take Ryan with karlsson for the original cost or don’t get karlsson

No team can take Ryan if its a necessity he is in the deal. Even by saying they have to take Ryan he is leveraging against himself yet again. If they make a deal like this im done with this team and organization.

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
Im afraid Dorion was extended for a promise to trade Karlsson and save milions to the owner.

I dislike the sens and I hope it does not happen but that would be pretty sad for them and the league in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad