Post-Game Talk: Blue Jackets 7 Oilers 3

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Regarding Lucic, I have dreams that the cap will go up by much in the next few years, that some team wont mind picking him up for free to hit the cap floor. Wishful thinking.

It's actually not unrealistic at all.

The cap is gonna hit probably 80 this summer, and maybe 82-83 the year after ... that cap floor actually becomes prohibitively high for a lot of teams.

You retain 1 mill on Lucic and his actually salary is far below his cap hit, 1 mill retained and Lucic is 3/4/3 mill in actual salary. Cap floor teams will want a contract like that.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
What is going on with our PP lineups? I was at the game and saw TMac roll out Khaira/Kassian as our PP2. Are we essentially saying we do not care anymore?

I am not one to want coaches fired, but TMac has to go. We need a coach that can turn this team around. Hopefully TMac can find success elsewhere.

The coaching staff actually doing their jobs has proven to be too difficult.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I will say this ... I'm pretty sure the Jackets are shit scared of Torts, lol, they didn't want to go into that locker room down 0-3.

Reactions: Blue line Howie

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So why shouldn't the coach stay if it's based "well last year they were good"?

Todd was nominated for coach of the year one year ago too ... why's only the GM that gets no accountability? Why doesn't that extend to the coach?

And I'm sorry but 3 full years now since this GM was hired and if you're telling me this result is acceptable and fine, then I don't agree. Maybe I have insane expectations, but I think 3 years is enough to do something better than what is shown here when you have the best player in the world.

If they don't improve early next year, next year is probably a wash too, who the hell are you going to hire in like November? No one good is going to be available at that time.

This team has fired how many coaches while incompetent managers were allowed to keep their job? How's that worked out for us?
Todd McLellan owns the worst special teams unit in the National Hockey League and he's set the bloody record for the worst PK unit in the modern era. Additionally, his team rarely gets up for games. They're prone to early goals and obviously prone to late game collapses. The team is mentally fragile four years in. The strategy Todd McLellan has used to try to exorcise the demons that befuddled the loser franchise he inherited have failed. That is a problem that is in his wheelhouse--not the GM's.

Reactions: BigFuzzyDice

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Todd McLellan owns the worst special teams unit in the National Hockey League and he's set the bloody record for the worst PK unit in the modern era. Additionally, his team rarely gets up for games. They're prone to early goals and obviously prone to late game collapses. The team is mentally fragile four years in. The strategy Todd McLellan has used to try to exorcise the demons that befuddled the loser franchise he inherited have failed. That is a problem that is in his wheelhouse--not the GM's.
And who hired him?

Who put this shit roster on the ice?

Who signed Milan Lucic for 7 f***ing years?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

And Chiarelli shares in blame for all of that. They are mentally fragile because they're not very good and the star $6 million acquisition is a head case. Who signed that player? That's not the coach's fault. Who's the one that bet the season on Caggiula and Strome and Slepyshev being the only help the forward group needed? No the coach. That fragility is not just on the coach. Why didn't the GM make any moves to address any of that?

Kruger, Renney, etc. were good coaches that were fired and we thought things would correct ... but it was crap management all along, we're just falling for the same crap again. We've done the fire the coach while keeping the GM thing and how has it worked out for us?

Management has been the real issue here since 2006, until that is fixed, it's just a joke and nothing is going to substantially improve.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yup, he'll absolve himself of the blame. That much is obvious.

This team is set up for failure. It's more than just a coaching issue.

Exactly.

If one goes, both should go, both have done nothing for this team this year so if that's the criteria, both should be gone.

You either have accountability or you don't.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The same guy who's probably going to fire him.

So basically no accountability. Only the coach is the problem. See how that goes for you, Oilers. Not like we haven't seen this movie like four times before (spoiler: it doesn't have a happy ending).

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
yup
Nicholson hired Chia, so he should be fired
and Katz hired Nicholson, who hired Chia, who hired McLellan...so he should be fired
I know you're being facetious but I'm not convinced Nicholson is this great hockey mind either.

Whatever happened to that forensic audit he was supposed to do? Why do MacT and Lowe still have jobs?

Why does anyone in this organization still have their job?

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I don't think it's possible for McLellan to be back next season. He's either going to be fired by Chiarelli, or the new GM fires him. Someone is going. It should be both though.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I know you're being facetious but I'm not convinced Nicholson is this great hockey mind either.

Whatever happened to that forensic audit he was supposed to do? Why do MacT and Lowe still have jobs?

Why does anyone in this organization still have their job?
because Katz doesn't fire the OBC

don't think for a second that if and when Chia and McLellan are fired that he's going to bring in fresh faces..Coffey and Gretzky probably take over
heck, I could see Messier coming in as coach seeing how he's always wanted to

its the Oiler way..always has been

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
And Chiarelli shares in blame for all of that. They are mentally fragile because they're not very good and the star $6 million acquisition is a head case. Who signed that player? That's not the coach's fault. Who's the one that bet the season on Caggiula and Strome and Slepyshev being the only help the forward group needed? No the coach. That fragility is not just on the coach.

Kruger, Renney, etc. were good coaches that were fired and we thought things would correct ... but it was crap management all along, we're just falling for the same crap again. We've done the fire the coach while keeping the GM thing and how has it worked out for us?

Management has been the real issue here since 2006, until that is fixed, it's just a joke and nothing is going to substantially improve.
No. This time it's actually on the guys on the ice.

This board always points to the sky when the team is losing and it's pretty pathetic. Team sits on its hands for a decade hoarding talent at the same position and its the big bad management. New guy gets three years and actually changes the dynamic--gets them to the playoffs. They struggle the next year though and its the big, bad management again.

This same roster with an average special teams, an average Cam Talbot and a healthy Adam Larsson and Oscar Klefbom...is a playoff team. I'm not prepared to pull the plug on that.

Reactions: nally

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
because Katz doesn't fire the OBC

don't think for a second that if and when Chia and McLellan are fired that he's going to bring in fresh faces..Coffey and Gretzky probably take over
heck, I could see Messier coming in as coach seeing how he's always wanted too

its the Oiler way..always has been
So if Katz really has all the power there's no point to having Nicholson.

Really, the only acceptable course is to expunge the entire front office. It's a shame we can't fire the owner too.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So basically no accountability. Only the coach is the problem. See how that goes for you, Oilers. Not like we haven't seen this movie like four times before (spoiler: it doesn't have a happy ending).
Coach(es). That whole staff is gone.

The difference between those movies is this one has a defense when its healthy.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

This board always points to the sky when the team is losing and it's pretty pathetic. Team sits on its hands for a decade hoarding talent at the same position and its the big bad management. New guy gets three years and actually changes the dynamic--gets them to the playoffs. They struggle the next year though and its the big, bad management again.

This same roster with an average special teams, an average Cam Talbot and a healthy Adam Larsson and Oscar Klefbom...is a playoff team. I'm not prepared to pull the plug on that.
Talbot and McDavid got them to the playoffs last year.

Management decides to make roster worse.

Team is now worse.

Hmmm. Doesn't take a genius to figure out what the problem is here. And guess what? The team was healthy last year, that's another reason they made the playoffs. Team health is a luxury few teams have. If you have to be completely healthy to make the playoffs then chances are you're not really that good.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Normally I'd say that this is bs, but it sure as hell looked like this tonight - from the players no longer giving a **** to Todd cutting McDavid's time to, uh, protect him?

This is part of the internal battle between mcdavid and Mclellan.
Well hear about it later, but Mcdavid can't stand the guy. Guess who goes?

Reactions: PulYou

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
So if Katz really has all the power there's no point to having Nicholson.

Really, the only acceptable course is to expunge the entire front office. It's a shame we can't fire the owner too.
maybe but you know that won't happen

Chiarelli will get the Tambellini treatment and get turfed since he wasn't a former Oiler...but there's a reason the MacT "stink" continues to linger in the organization
he's tight with Katz

and the same reason Coffey has wormed his way into a "skills" coach

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
I hate how this team always does this. Play a good to great run of a few games, get complacent, then shit the bed to begin another losing streak.

I thought after the last ten games these guys finally had it figured out. Connor leads the way, Talbot finds his form, and pretty much every winger from the second line down finds ways to contribute.

Did this years team even win more than three games in a row? That’s depressing.

Sincerely,
Just another fool who believes in this silly Team.

Reactions: Aerrol

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
maybe but you know that won't happen

Chiarelli will get the Tambellini treatment and get turfed since he wasn't a former Oiler...but there's a reason the MacT "stink" continues to linger in the organization
he's tight with Katz

and the same reason Coffey was wormed his way into a "skills" coach
Yup, this org is predictable. In the event that they actually fire Chiarelli they'll just replace him with an even more incompetent boob.

It's hard to believe this team is going to waste McDavid's talents. ...Wait a minute, it's not that hard to believe.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

I agree but some people want panic moves

Avs didn't do panic moves and they're in the mix this year

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Talbot and McDavid got them to the playoffs last year.

Management decides to make roster worse.

Team is now worse.

Hmmm. Doesn't take a genius to figure out what the problem is here. And guess what? The team was healthy last year, that's another reason they made the playoffs. Team health is a luxury few teams have. If you have to be completely healthy to make the playoffs then chances are you're not really that good.
We've had this discussion several times on the other thread. Team has to sign two top ten scorers to long-term contracts. Sorry, but your options will be limited that summer.

We're rehashing the same shit. Go read the Chia thread, because I'm bored.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad