Post-Game Talk: Blue Jackets 7 Oilers 3

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
That's fine. If you can move him before then, you do that too. You can't just sit there and cry because you have one bad contract on the books especially with a cap north of $90 million at some point.

Get a real GM in here and this will turn in a hurry. Toronto did it.

1 Bad?...

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Won't make much of a difference unless Chia is replaced too.

It's honestly a joke if only one gets fired and the other gets to stay. That's not accountability at all, Todd was nominated for coach of the year last year too so why does only the GM get to use the "yeah but last year ..." card?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
1 Bad?...

Sekera and Russell can be moved once their NMCs are up and they are up soon. I'm not really worried about those two deals, the Lucic one is tougher but still doable.

Retain 1 million on his contract and his final three years are only 3/4/3 mill in actual salary, his contract is very front loaded.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Won't make much of a difference unless Chia is replaced too.
Yeah, repeating it isn't going to convince me. An AHL defense wouldn't have allowed a team to carve them up like the Jackets just did. The team is bleeding from multiple areas and its due to poor execution. That's a coach's issue.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah, repeating it isn't going to convince me. An AHL defense wouldn't have allowed a team to carve them up like the Jackets just did. The team is bleeding from multiple areas and its due to poor execution. That's a coach's issue.

Why's the coach only accountable and the GM gets a free pass? How's that make sense?

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
Remember when I and several others were saying Chiarelli should sign Vanek every week of the summer because he can shoot the puck? Yeah. Thanks for using that cap space Chia.
The thing is that he or anyone else worth getting wouldn't sign for only one year.

Too many anchors, floaters, and NMC's.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Having AHL quality wingers isn't helping this team either. This team is porous in so many areas despite spending so much money.

What has Chiarelli brought in that has helped this team this year?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The thing is that he or any one worth getting wouldn't sign for only on year.

Too many anchors, floaters, and NMC's.

Except he uh ... signed for one year anyway? I'm pretty sure his agent would've pushed him to sign in Edmonton over Vancouver because he'd have been given a chance to play with McDavid here and potentially score himself a big money deal this summer.

He already signed one contract to come play here in his career anyway, lol so it's not a city issue.

Chia's a dummy lets be real. He thought Caggiula and Slepyshev were gonna grow into bonafide top six producers and Strome would be a great fit, so he bothered doing nothing else in the summer.

Reactions: Aerrol

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
Except he uh ... signed for one year anyway? I'm pretty sure his agent would've pushed him to sign in Edmonton over Vancouver because he'd have been given a chance to play with McDavid here and potentially score himself a big money deal this summer.

He already signed one contract to come play here in his career anyway, lol so it's not a city issue.

Sorry, was unaware.
It's 6 in the morning and I'm half assed as i've been up all night watching the Oil.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
They got the McPoints out of the way early and called it a night. Pretty simple.

Normally I'd say that this is bs, but it sure as hell looked like this tonight - from the players no longer giving a shit to Todd cutting McDavid's time to, uh, protect him?

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Why's the coach only accountable and the GM gets a free pass? How's that make sense?
How is the GM getting a free pass? He's been at the helm for four years taking on a consistent lottery team. Your expectations of what that team should've been and how quickly it should've been done is wildly unrealistic. Much like what your idea of how the roster should've looked and how they would've performed.

The GM had them in the playoffs last year. If they don't improve early next season, there's a cause for dismissal. But at this point, I'm still convinced the vision of this roster can be successful. Depth through the middle and what is supposed to be a tough, physical brand defense.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Having AHL quality wingers isn't helping this team either. This team is porous in so many areas despite spending so much money.

What has Chiarelli brought in that has helped this team this year?
f*** the wingers. We gave up seven goals tonight.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
It's weird how Tmac has always talked so glowing about Pavelski , how great how smart of a player how he tries to get better at every practice. When the only thing he says about McDavid is Connor does what Connor does, it seems to me Pavelski used to kiss Tmac's ass and would pump his coach up I think Connor does not respect Tmac and Tmac picks up on it.

Reactions: Aerrol

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
How is the GM getting a free pass? He's been at the helm for four years taking on a consistent lottery team. Your expectations of what that team should've been and how quickly it should've been done is wildly unrealistic. Much like what your idea of how the roster should've looked and how they would've performed.

The GM had them in the playoffs last year. If they don't improve early next season, there's a cause for dismissal. But at this point, I'm still convinced the vision of this roster can be successful. Depth through the middle and what is supposed to be a tough, physical brand defense.

So why shouldn't the coach stay if it's based "well last year they were good"?

Todd was nominated for coach of the year one year ago too ... why's only the GM that gets no accountability? Why doesn't that extend to the coach?

And I'm sorry but 3 full years now since this GM was hired and if you're telling me this result is acceptable and fine, then I don't agree. Maybe I have insane expectations, but I think 3 years is enough to do something better than what is shown here when you have the best player in the world.

If they don't improve early next year, next year is probably a wash too, who the hell are you going to hire in like November? No one good is going to be available at that time.

This team has fired how many coaches while incompetent managers were allowed to keep their job? How's that worked out for us?

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Rough game. Jackets stepped up and we stepped down after the first 10 minutes.

This team is not a playoff team right now; however it is very off and on. Some nights we look like world beaters and other nights we look very poor. I think it's time for a coaching change either way the buy in is no longer there like it was last year.

This isn't to say we have the right mix of players yet... but we need to mix things up a bit.

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
So happy for 3 McPoints tonight

BTW those saying we should have used our cap space on VANEK. You really honestly believe if we had signed him this past summer our season would be saved???? Give me a break!

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Legit thought McDavid was going for 10 points tonight. They went to sleep after that. Panarin was demolishing them with his speed. Nice of Todd to put a guy out there with 1 knee to cover him when he has last line change lol.

Reminds us all how poopy the team is.

That was a nice walk off by Vladdy though.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I hope they wait out Chicago, but yeah, TMac is a goner.

MacT...TMac...MacT...TMac...make it stop.

Please tell me you're not suggesting we bring in Quenneville? If so, you might wanna take a spin over to HF Chicago and see what they think of him. He's got just as much talent - probably more - to work with on their PP and it's nearly as pitiful. No one can doubt the resume, but TMac had a pretty strong resume too, yet pitchforks were out among the SJ fan base. The game is ever changing, and neither TMac nor Quenville seem willing to adapt.

If we're waiting someone out, I hope it's Sheldon Keefe. The guy has been excellent at every level. He's the next Gallant AFAIC.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Regarding Lucic, I have dreams that the cap will go up by much in the next few years, that some team wont mind picking him up for free to hit the cap floor. Wishful thinking.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So happy for 3 McPoints tonight

BTW those saying we should have used our cap space on VANEK. You really honestly believe if we had signed him this past summer our season would be saved???? Give me a break!

Who needs a shooter on the PP like Vanek. Better that we used our cap space to ... uh ... sit and watch and enjoy it this year.

Strome + Vanek would've been more than an acceptable exchange for the money Eberle was making, this GM bet the farm that Caggiula and Slepyhsev were going to be big contributors instead.

Killer Z

Aug 24, 2005
Edmonton, AB
What is going on with our PP lineups? I was at the game and saw TMac roll out Khaira/Kassian as our PP2. Are we essentially saying we do not care anymore?

I am not one to want coaches fired, but TMac has to go. We need a coach that can turn this team around. Hopefully TMac can find success elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad