Post-Game Talk: Blue Jackets 7 Oilers 3

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
We've had this discussion several times on the other thread. Team has to sign two top ten scorers to long-term contracts. Sorry, but your options will be limited that summer.

We're rehashing the same ****. Go read the Chia thread, because I'm bored.
So maybe don't sign Lucic and Russell to braindead deals? Those contracts aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

But if the Oilers don't turn this around in the next few years, good news! McDavid's contract will disappear.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The Avs have a better mix of forwards and defense than we do.

And a better goalie.

Just because they rebounded doesn't mean the Oilers will.
Varlamov had an .898 save % last year...he was a trainwreck
their leading scorer was MacKinnon with 53 whopping points
Tyson Barrie had 38 points and a -34

Sakic was called the dumbest GM in the league and Bednar couldn't coach..now all of the sudden Sakic is a genious and Bednar learned to coach over the summer

or maybe will some decents tweaks, it allowed them get faster and Varlamov returning to form

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Sakic was called the dumbest GM in the league and Bednar couldn't coach..now all of the sudden Sakic is a genious and Bednar learned to coach over the summer

or maybe will some decents tweaks, it allowed them get faster and Varlamov returning to form
Sakic isn't a genius, but he's better than Chiarelli.

This team is more than some decent tweaks away from a playoff roster. Zero top 6 wingers, zero top pairing defenseman, and a goalie that doesn't look like a starter at this very moment.

McDavid is the only thing keeping this roster from being 31st in the NHL. And even he's not good enough to raise this corpse higher.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Lucic, Poolparty Talbot, Sekera bad. replace these players with better ones and you got a chance to move up.

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
This is part of the internal battle between mcdavid and Mclellan.
Well hear about it later, but Mcdavid can't stand the guy. Guess who goes?

Hope You know what You are writing about. To me this is easy to picture though.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Perhaps a little off topic....but anyone believe Strome is the 3rd line centre thats gonna play on a Stanley Cup winner?

no because he's a guy that sometimes shows you why he went #5 overall, then disappears for long stretches. i believe better all round players that are similar to Calle Jarnkrok or Mattais Janmark-Nylen are the type you win cups with and Jarnkrok has a great chance to do that this spring !

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I agree but some people want panic moves

Avs didn't do panic moves and they're in the mix this year

Ahhh

"in the mix"

Such lofty heights to be like the Avs who might not even make the playoffs this year.

What a glorious thing to aim for. If you were told at the end of last season that we should shoot to be "in the mix" you would be satisfied with that?

Reactions: Aerrol

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Ahhh

"in the mix"

Such lofty heights to be like the Avs who might not even make the playoffs this year.

What a glorious thing to aim for. If you were told at the end of last season that we should shoot to be "in the mix" you would be satisfied with that?
In hindsight, yes. ;) But we clearly overestimated the team.

I mean we're still in the mix. It's just not for a playoff spot.

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
Lucic, Poolparty Talbot, Sekera bad. replace these players with better ones and you got a chance to move up.

In this game Pulju had most shots of the Oiler's though he didn't score. Lucic and Pulju didn't hurt the game, they were +/- 0. Cacciula was -4 for example, Rattie and Russel -3.

Event Summary

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Ahhh

"in the mix"

yes
making the playoffs is hard...the Preds barely made it and went to the Finals
the LA Kings did the same in 2012

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
In this game Pulju had most shots of the Oiler's though he didn't score. Lucic and Pulju didn't hurt the game, they were +/- 0. Cacciula was -4 for example, Rattie and Russel -3.

Event Summary

You are reaching to make a point. Games like this is where he needs to stand out. He was very weak on the puck all game

He had 3 chances to paste a player on the forcheck, but as usual, came in with his patented JP one hand on the back cautious push. He's a p***ycat amongst men

Like what was said earlier...Purcell or Wheeler.

JP is playing himself into a Purcell. I'm sure the coaches want more

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Coach(es). That whole staff is gone.

The difference between those movies is this one has a defense when its healthy.

The D sucks when Cam is not bailing them out.

So no it looks like the same movie to me just with 3D added, lol.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If Jesse does not pan out and Talbot isn't the answer and Lucic obviously sucks donkey balls, exactly which players has Chia added that improve this team in a huge way?

Really would Mac T have been that much worse?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
When Connor hit 100, I said to myself ‘well, still 40 goals to play for.’

When he hit 40, I said ‘huh well what’s left for this team?’

Nothing, apparently. No one was interested in playing any defence at all tonight.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
Can anyone remember seeing a team just roll lines through a whole game like that, EVEN on the PP? Totally weird, like the coaching staff is sending some stupid message to upper management. Lowest ice time for Connor in ages, no attempt to win the game, just a kind of "hey, here's what happens when we just use the players you're giving us" kind of thing.

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
Can anyone remember seeing a team just roll lines through a whole game like that, EVEN on the PP? Totally weird, like the coaching staff is sending some stupid message to upper management. Lowest ice time for Connor in ages, no attempt to win the game, just a kind of "hey, here's what happens when we just use the players you're giving us" kind of thing.

Or it could be "I don't care any more, because I won't be here for the next season"?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Doesn't necessarily mean the 'rebound fairy' is coming here. That's nice but more often that not teams that continue to employ subpar managers and coaches usually get more misery.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
Well... that sucked... but...
McDavid:
February (14 GP) - 13 G, 9 A, 21 pts - 1.5 ppg
March (14 GP) - 12 G,15 A, 27 pts - 1.92!!ppg
Last 28 games - 25 G,24 A, 49 pts - 1.75 ppg

Oilers still have 2 games in March, pretty horrendous schedule to be fair.
Also there has to be a record for points in March that McDavid has or will break?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The scary thing about the Oilers is McDavid is scoring at almost 40+ goal/110 point clip and Draisaitl is about the same PPG as before and RNH is scoring at a career high clip also.

Colorado saw massive increases in MacKinnon, Barrie, and Rantanen's performance though, but where's that supposed to com from on our roster? Tyson Barrie is scoring at an Erik Karlsson pace, can we expect that from Klefbom next year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad