Post-Game Talk: Blue Jackets 7 Oilers 3

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Can anyone remember seeing a team just roll lines through a whole game like that, EVEN on the PP? Totally weird, like the coaching staff is sending some stupid message to upper management. Lowest ice time for Connor in ages, no attempt to win the game, just a kind of "hey, here's what happens when we just use the players you're giving us" kind of thing.
I don’t get this idea that Mclellan is trying to send the “look at the roster you gave me” message to Chiarelli on March 27th. What would be the point in that? That’s a message you might send earlier in the year when the GM can actually do something about it. Certainly before the trade deadline.

This was Mclellan waving the white flag. Who knows, maybe not even intentionally either. I’ve been saying for over a month now that it looks like he’s the one that’s quit on the team. Usually it’s the other way around and it’s a player or players quitting on the coach. Tonight proves he’s done. I’ve never seen anything like it. He doesn’t know what to do. Blame the roster all you want but when a coach stops trying to coach his team or runs out of answers what value does he have? What purpose is he serving? Put him out of his misery.

Reactions: North

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
The only potential positive way to spin "hey we stopped even bothering to implement a PP system" is if you buy McLellan knows hes gone at years end and wants to use remaining practice time to improve individual players as much as possible.

Truly remarkable though, never seen anything like that. Maybe the off handed "hey PP guys, sit on the bench while the 4th line plays PP because you aren't trying hard enough" to send a message to the group, but never just flat out not having a PP.Its absurd.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Tonight proves he’s done. I’ve never seen anything like it. He doesn’t know what to do. Blame the roster all you want but when a coach stops trying to coach his team or runs out of answers what value does he have? What purpose is he serving? Put him out of his misery.

It should frighten even the most dedicated of his supporters that a man being paid millions of dollars per year can't think of a better strategy than to just roll his lines. This is the person you are entrusting the success of the franchise to! Come the **** on.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Well, Chia gave up trying to improve the Oilers in about ... August right? So the coach giving up on the team before season end is about right actually, lol.

Reactions: Summary
Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
What's with all the negativity?

We may have lost the battle, but we will win the McPoints war.

Nothing else matters.
This is such a good comment, it confuses and hurts me in so many ways. McPoints Art Ross please, I have nothing else to live for. (Except for Oilers hockey for the rest of my life)

I mean that genuinely, the future scares me.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
McD is a force, I can't imagine this team without him. At this point we just have to focus on getting him as many points as possible and riding the season out, throw some of these blowout games in the garbage and just focus on building the team around him for next season.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Well... that sucked... but...
McDavid:
February (14 GP) - 13 G, 9 A, 21 pts - 1.5 ppg
March (14 GP) - 12 G,15 A, 27 pts - 1.92!!ppg
Last 28 games - 25 G,24 A, 49 pts - 1.75 ppg

Oilers still have 2 games in March, pretty horrendous schedule to be fair.
Also there has to be a record for points in March that McDavid has or will break?
In November 1983, Gretzky scored 50 points in one month.

I think, 44 times he scored 30+ in a single month.

But it would be interesting to see how many players have scored 27 or more since, say, 2000.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
In November 1983, Gretzky scored 50 points in one month.

I think, 44 times he scored 30+ in a single month.

But it would be interesting to see how many players have scored 27 or more since, say, 2000.
As freaky as McDavid has been...I mean wtf was Gretzky....a slithering snake with heat vision annihilating every ******, offensive record a man with a pair of skates would. 50 point months ? The f****. Who does that...

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
As freaky as McDavid has been...I mean wtf was Gretzky....a slithering snake with heat vision annihilating every ******, offensive record a man with a pair of skates would. 50 point months ? The f****. Who does that...

Gretz had a 7-point game and an 8-point game in the span of two weeks that November, which was a big part of the reason he even hit 50 in a month.

Imagine watching someone do what Gagner did not once ever but twice in the same month, then imagine that same person puting up "just" 3+ points most other nights. Wild.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

You should look at all of the records that he has, it's insane.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Shocked to hear nothing from the crowd in the final minute. If I was silly enough to spend money on going I would have booed the hell out of the Oilers on fan appreciation night

Reactions: Jamin

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Im done with Todd.

Up 3 goals. Loses 7-3. No time out. Changes goalie too late regardless on goals against.

I feel like that description was a metaphor for this season. We were living through an avertable nightmare and seemingly did nothing about it.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Don't care about the loss at all or that Oilers looked terrible after that 3rd goal. It's a game in late March for a non-playoff team. Who cares. The only important part of this game was McDavid getting his points, and he did. I also don't mind losing a few here for the sake of draft position. Because of the loss we didn't pass the Rangers and we still have the same number of points as the Isles while only being 2 ahead of the Hawks. If we can draft at #7/#8 instead of #10/11 or later that's a big difference.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
So happy for 3 McPoints tonight

BTW those saying we should have used our cap space on VANEK. You really honestly believe if we had signed him this past summer our season would be saved???? Give me a break!

We could have signed anyone that was available, kept Hall/Eberle but none of them could make up for the horrible goaltending we got this season.

Reactions: Summary

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Mcpoints and Mclosses is what we should be cheering for over these last 5 games. We've moved from potentially picking 3rd to 10th in the past month. Hopefully the Mclottery gods reward us for our play this past month.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

Nothing else matters.

After a decent stretch of hockey by the Oilers, I would venture it comes down to two things:
  1. The collapse was a reminder of how much the team still needs to improve in the off-season, and
  2. It's a chance to get in more lashes against one's preferred whipping boy(s)

Reactions: ResilientBeast

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

Nothing else matters.

1433538606565630.gif

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Shocked to hear nothing from the crowd in the final minute. If I was silly enough to spend money on going I would have booed the hell out of the Oilers on fan appreciation night

Well I knew a while back I wouldn't spend another dime on them until changes were made. Can't imagine shelling out big dollars and having a "great" chance of watching an epic collapse like that.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I didn't see the game, but it strikes me as the Gongy-est of shows last night. Horrendous, I try to be positive, but this was pathetic.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Perhaps a little off topic....but anyone believe Strome is the 3rd line centre thats gonna play on a Stanley Cup winner?
I could, he has 33 points on a team that is complete ass and for most of the year he has had high school level players with him. I wouldnt count him out yet.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I didn't see the game, but it strikes me as the Gongy-est of shows last night. Horrendous, I try to be positive, but this was pathetic.
Oilers had a weak start, McDavid created three chances that were converted, Columbus had some puck luck to draw back in the game, and then one team played the last 40 minutes like they were in a playoff race.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Gretz had a 7-point game and an 8-point game in the span of two weeks that November, which was a big part of the reason he even hit 50 in a month.

Imagine watching someone do what Gagner did not once ever but twice in the same month, then imagine that same person puting up "just" 3+ points most other nights. Wild.
Completely off topic but I wonder if it bothers Gretzky that he never broke Sittler’s record of 10 points in a game. Of all the records he holds, that’s the one you’d assume he’d have. So many 7 and 8 point games but never got to 10. Gretzky did everything else in hockey but he didn’t do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad