Series Talk: ECQF: Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs (Series Tied 3-3)

What will be the outcome of this series?

• Boston in 4

Votes: 95 6.1%
  • Boston in 5

Votes: 307 19.8%
  • Boston in 6

Votes: 445 28.7%
  • Boston in 7

Votes: 277 17.8%
  • Toronto in 4

Votes: 20 1.3%
  • Toronto in 5

Votes: 38 2.4%
  • Toronto in 6

Votes: 188 12.1%
  • Toronto in 7

Votes: 183 11.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
The real winners here are the Florida Panthers. No matter what happens tomorrow they’re guaranteed to play a total train wreck of a team in the second round.
Historically, teams who sweep the first round that have to play a team that has had a grueling and team building 7 game series tend to start their rounds flat. All momentum gained from the previous round is gone as they sit on their asses waiting.

That's just my personal observation and it's not set in stone, but it could be a narrative.

That's what I'm afraid of.
Don't be afraid of anything. It's a win win.

We win, we slay the Boston dragon
We lose, we slay Keefe and Marner and make real changes.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
He's right though, for some reason the Leafs have looked like a different (better) team without him in this series. :dunno:

If Matthews returns tomorrow and Boston wins in a laugher, is it just a coincidence?
He is not right lol the Leafs looking better has a clear and direct correlation with when they changed goalies. Or did we not need Matthews in game 2 either?

Reactions: LivingRentFree

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Gotta give credit to those invoking the swirling winds of history and the metaphysics of destiny.

When this series was 3-1, various people were saying its destined to go 7 games because its these two teams. It was hard to believe and easy to dismiss. Now here we are. They were not wrong...but to be fair a big assist goes to Woll.

Last edited:

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Yes, I remember 2019 Game 6 in Toronto was an afternoon game. It was a Sunday. Maybe Easter?

I remember I was visiting family, and I don't really like them. Must have been a holiday.
I was also at my wife's (GF at the time) family's place and was incredibly depressed when we sat down to eat. We had the Bruins on the ropes, took an early 1-0 lead and the building was going crazy, only for us to take multiple penalties and of course our shit special teams let us down. I knew in my heart that we weren't going to win game 7 after we blew game 6.

Reactions: Just Rude

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Not true at all. Bruins would have swept NYI or Washington. Clearly something mental with the Leafs. Last night was far better than game 5 however. Bruins matched Toronto well enough in play, simply did not execute on shooting which is baffling and embarrassing on its own. Toronto has hardly created high danger chances themselves.

After two games of this it is indeed clear Florida is going to obliterate the winner.
To me it seems obvious that the Bruins just aren’t skilled enough to beat teams that simply work harder than them. The Leafs turned up their level of play and Boston have no answer.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
so you think a team would become worse by adding a player like Matthews?
is Gregor better than Matthews?
Adding Matthews at his cap hit relative to his playoff performance absolutely makes a team worse.

In this scenario, where the team is playing better by replacing him with a league minimum guy, it's about how they're playing as a team without him. When he's in the lineup guys are forcing the puck to him where he's done f*** all. Without him, other players have to do it themselves and are playing a more responsible game

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Exactly. I hate this.
What's working in your favor is the fact that Florida just made it to the finals last season and are likely hungry to do what it takes to get to the goal. They know how to get past Toronto or Boston and are a better version of themselves since last year.

So like Pittsburgh losing to Detroit or Edmonton losing to the Islanders...there are plenty of historical examples of teams losing in the finals, following it up and winning the next season.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
Nylander.jpg
Nylander 2.jpg

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
It's like a 95% chance. He officiated game 7 in 2018, 2019 & 2022 against Boston and Tampa, as well as game 5 against Columbus. The only reason he didn't do game 7 against Montreal was because he wasn't in the Canadian bubble.

No different than what Boston just went through in games 5 and 6. Toronto could use some adversity especially if Florida is next.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Adding Matthews at his cap hit relative to his playoff performance absolutely makes a team worse.

In this scenario, where the team is playing better by replacing him with a league minimum guy, it's about how they're playing as a team without him. When he's in the lineup guys are forcing the puck to him where he's done f*** all. Without him, other players have to do it themselves and are playing a more responsible game
Toronto barely scored 2 goals per game without Matthews. It's not like the other guys stepped up and replaced his production.

The difference isn't the absence of Matthews, it's the addition of a red-hot Woll and a highly-motivated team backcheck. The last two games Leafs have been blocking shots, winning board battles, making smarter & faster outlet passes, and not giving the Bruins time to set up. I don't see why Matthews can't take on that same role while adding offence.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
So, Leafs won games 5 and 6 without Matthews, where as Tavares and Marner played well in both games, interesting.
Leafs fans crying how Tavares is the worst captain ever and how Marner always sucks at playoffs..

Well, maybe Leafs shoul keep both Marner, and Tavares, but trade Matthews
(and maybe Nylander as well, sure, he scored both goals, but he was super lucky)
Matthews is the only reason this series went beyond four games.

Marner and Tavares haven’t done much in this series at all.

Nylander has been their most consistent playoff player over the years and now has 11 points in 13 elimination games.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Matthews is the only reason this series went beyond four games.

Marner and Tavares haven’t done much in this series at all.

Nylander has been their most consistent playoff player over the years and now has 11 points in 13 elimination games.
Matthews was also part of the reason they were down 3-1 to be fair.

Last game was the best game of the series for Toronto and it’s not shocking matthews was watching and not playing…. If he comes back and they lose…. We know why

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad