Movies: Blade Runner 2049 (2017): Ryan Gosling, Harrison Ford. Directed by Denis Villeneuve.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
My god that looks beautiful. The cinematography is absolutely phenomenal.

I never saw the original but I'll get around to it before this comes out. I'm so on board.

The Academy should just throw Roger Deakins' name into that Best Cinematography envelope, pronto.

Lots of bad movies (e.g. Spider Man 3, Battle Los Angeles) have well constructed, well produced trailers. They have to be in order to mask deficiencies and/or drum up interest. The look and content of the individual scenes in this trailer are awesome and that's what I'm focused on.

Very true. Battle Los Angeles was probably the worst offender.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
My god that looks beautiful. The cinematography is absolutely phenomenal.

I never saw the original but I'll get around to it before this comes out. I'm so on board.

Watch the final cut. Also, shame on you.

I hope the movie ends on a Johan Johansson version of this:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Does the trailer give away much/look good? I try to avoid watching trailers nowadays.

I generally watch only the first half-to-2/3rds of trailers for that reason, but I watched this whole one and don't really have any idea what the plot is. It's very vague, plot-wise. That's sometimes the case with first trailers, which are like glorified teasers, while 2nd and 3rd trailers reveal more, so, if you're going to watch one trailer to get a feel for the film, this one is probably the one that you want to watch.

I don't want to see Harrison Ford run anymore.

That's similar to what I was thinking. I was enjoying the beauty of the trailer, then made a "baby tasting something sour" face when the shot of Ford running appeared. I know that he's old, but he's been an ugly runner for at least 25 years now. I'm almost positive that a nearly identical shot was in Patriot Games or Clear and Present Danger... or both. He seems to me to always be shot head-on like that, too, perhaps because he looks even less like he's actually running from the side.

If the ending hasn't already been spoiled for you (by this thread or other sources), you may want to watch it sooner rather than later, since how the ending is resolved in this film is likely to be discussed even more here as the release date approaches.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Looks awesome, assumed the "I want to ask you some questions" line is about determining he is a replicant

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Looks awesome, assumed the "I want to ask you some questions" line is about determining he is a replicant

That trailer heavily implies the Gosling character is a replicant, or at least he starts to think he is, in my opinion. I hope that isn't the twist of the movie or anything because I hate trailers that have things like that stand out.

Overall the look of the movie is pretty close, although everything looks far too clean. I do hope the movie has the grime of the original and isn't a shiny, plastic looking CGI movie like the Star Wars prequels were.

We'll see about the story, but I'm still not expecting it to be anywhere close to the original, so I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
I consider the original movie a seminal and important film, one of my favourites, but I'm glad that this movie *seems* more kinetic in nature - at least based on the trailer. Also, Leto's work in this bloody trailer was more interesting than the entirety of his Joker performance. So good on him.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
This looks great, Villeneuve has made some very good films lately. Gonna avoid trailers from now on.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Well, when I saw the trailer in the Theatre, I knew it was time to watch the original again with my son this time. I saw it multiple times when it first came out and on video, but had avoided watching it over the last 20 years so I could share the experience with my son. It blew me away how many future predictions sort of came true, card keys, skype, video enhancement, small satellite dishes, such and epic original one of my all time favourites, but I think a remake is safe in the hands of the people involved.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
There's a 4th trailer out (yes, a 4th) and it's the worst one yet, and gives away a bunch, so please don't watch it.

All you need is the fantastic original trailer:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Ugh, watched it before reading this thread. I feel like I've seen half the movie now.

What all these trailers have lacked is a Rutger Hauer type character. Who is going to give that type of performance to steal and make the movie like in the original?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It'd be a disservice if they attempted to recreate that performance though. Would've cheapened it. This needs to be by and large it's own movie.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
It'd be a disservice if they attempted to recreate that performance though. Would've cheapened it. This needs to be by and large it's own movie.

That's not at all what I meant. I meant that I don't see anyone in the trailer who could give a stand out performance in contrast to the quiet and reserved main character. Blade Runner wouldn't have worked at all without Rutger Hauer's performance as Roy as Deckard is a pretty bland character overall. Ryan Gosling appears to be playing a Deckard type character, so they will need some serious acting to balance that out.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
That's not at all what I meant. I meant that I don't see anyone in the trailer who could give a stand out performance in contrast to the quiet and reserved main character. Blade Runner wouldn't have worked at all without Rutger Hauer's performance as Roy as Deckard is a pretty bland character overall. Ryan Gosling appears to be playing a Deckard type character, so they will need some serious acting to balance that out.

Based on the second trailer (haven't seen the others), I think Leto could be that character.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Based on the second trailer (haven't seen the others), I think Leto could be that character.

yeah, out of everyone, it looks like he is the best bet but I'm not sold on that bet being a good one. I'm not really expecting any sort of transcendent performance in this movie, though. The one I'm looking at to surprise a bit is Robin Wright.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
yeah, out of everyone, it looks like he is the best bet but I'm not sold on that bet being a good one. I'm not really expecting any sort of transcendent performance in this movie, though. The one I'm looking at to surprise a bit is Robin Wright.

To be fair, it's rare to have a transcendent performance in any film. That's why they're referred to as transcendent. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: