Movies: Blade Runner 2049 (2017): Ryan Gosling, Harrison Ford. Directed by Denis Villeneuve.

JA

Teaser trailer (December 19, 2016):

Scheduled for release in October 2017.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/10/06/blade-runner-sequel-title
Blade Runner sequel title officially revealed
'Blade Runner 2049' will be released on Oct. 6, 2017 — exactly one year from today

The highly anticipated Blade Runner sequel finally has a name: Blade Runner 2049.

With plot points kept mostly under wraps, let the guessing games begin! Here’s what we do know: Harrison Ford returns as Rick Deckard — his iconic role from the 1982 original — alongside Ryan Gosling, to say nothing of an impressive supporting cast that includes Robin Wright, Jared Leto, Mackenzie Davis, Ana de Armas, Dave Bautista, Lennie James, and Barkhad Abdi.

Director Denis Villeneuve (Sicario and the upcoming Arrival), told EW that the events in the new film take place several decades after the Ridley Scott-directed original, and the setting is once again a future dystopian Los Angeles. Hampton Fancher, who was responsible for turning Philip K. Dick’s 1968 novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? into the Blade Runner screenplay, has returned for its sequel, along with Michael Green (Alien: Covenant). It was Fancher who was able to soothe Villeneuve’s pre-production nerves. “He told me that Blade Runner was a dream. We just have to dream again and not worry too much about logic. That removed so much pressure and gave me the key to move forward.”

Blade Runner 2049, from Alcon Entertainment, will arrive in theaters one year from today on Oct. 6, 2017. You can see a new photo of Villeneuve, Scott, Ford, and Gosling on the film’s set below.
blade-runner-2049.jpg

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/denis-villeneuves-blade-runner-2-starring-ryan-gosling-harrison-ford-officially-starts-filming-in-july-20160125?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed
Denis Villeneuve's 'Blade Runner 2' Starring Ryan Gosling & Harrison Ford Officially Starts Filming In July
By Kevin Jagernauth | The Playlist January 25, 2016 at 1:40PM

There are many arguments to be made against even the mere idea of a "Blade Runner" sequel. Ridley Scott's 1982 movie is an inarguable classic, a pinnacle of the science-fiction genre and a neo-noir nonpareil. Frankly, a follow-up could only pale by comparison. But Alcon Entertainment is doing everything it can to get fans to let their guard down.

First, the studio hired Denis Villeneuve ("Sicario," "Prisoners") to direct, then landed Ryan Gosling to star opposite the returning Harrison Ford. Those three names alone would be enough to get me to watch any movie, but … "Blade Runner 2?" Let's just say I'm curious to see where it goes.

Alcon has officially announced that production will be begin in July, with Warner Bros. distributing the picture stateside and Sony around the globe. No word yet on an exact release date, but this will surely be near the top of the Playlist's Most Anticipated Films list for 2017. Don't forget, Villeneuve already has a movie in the can, the sci-fi "Story Of Your Life," which is a good bet to appear at Cannes. Check out the press release below.
LOS ANGELES, CA, JANUARY 25, 2016 – Sony Pictures Releasing International will distribute Alcon Entertainment’s follow-up to Ridley Scott’s 1982 masterpiece BLADE RUNNER in all overseas territories in all media; with Warner Bros. Pictures distributing in North America and Canada through its output agreement with Alcon, it was announced by Alcon co-founders and co-CEO’s Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson.

Denis Villeneuve is directing the film starring Ryan Gosling (The Big Short) and Harrison Ford (Star Wars) who is reprising his role as Rick Deckard. Hampton Fancher (co-writer of the original) and Michael Green have written the original screenplay based on an idea by Fancher and Ridley Scott. The story takes place several decades after the conclusion of the 1982 original.

Alcon Entertainment acquired the film, television and ancillary franchise rights to BLADE RUNNER in 2011 from the late producer Bud Yorkin and Cynthia Sikes Yorkin to produce prequels and sequels to the iconic science-fiction thriller. Cynthia Sikes Yorkin will produce along with Johnson and Kosove. Bud Yorkin will receive producer credit.

Frank Giustra and Tim Gamble, CEO’s of Thunderbird Films, will serve as executive producers. Ridley Scott will also executive produce.

The film marks Villeneuve’s third collaboration with 13-time Oscar nominee Roger Deakins, who will serve as cinematographer, following Alcon’s Prisoners and the hit drug-trafficking drama Sicario, which brought Deakins his latest Oscar nomination.

Principal photography on Villenueve’s new BLADE RUNNER film is scheduled to begin in July 2016.

States Kosove and Johnson: “We are excited to work with Tom Rothman, Michael Lynton and the entire Sony team on this very special project as well as maintaining our important and long-standing relationship with our domestic partner Warner Bros. Pictures.”

States Tom Rothman: “At Sony, we have made a strong commitment to the international marketplace. We know of few projects with greater international potential than the long dreamed of sequel to Blade Runner, especially given the all-star creative team Andrew and Broderick have assembled. We are deeply grateful to everyone at Alcon, Denis and Ridley for entrusting us with such a gift. Working on a Blade Runner film also fulfills a long-time personal ambition, as I deeply love and admire the original.”
The first film is quite slow, but it immerses its viewers in its neo-noir atmosphere with a neon antiquated-yet-futuristic aesthetic and synth-based score composed by Vangelis. A huge part of the film is its audiovisual appeal. It's definitely not an action film. Can the sequel be a worthy follow-up?

Blade_Runner_unicorn.png

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/blade-runner-sequel-lennie-james-1201795356/
‘Walking Dead’ Actor Lennie James Joins ‘Blade Runner’ Sequel
Justin Kroll
July 26, 2016 | 10:24AM PT

“The Walking Dead” actor Lennie James is in negotiations to join the “Blade Runner” sequel starring Harrison Ford and Ryan Gosling.

Directed by “Sicario” helmer Denis Villeneuve, the film also stars Robin Wright and Mackenzie Davis. Cinematographer Roger Deakins will reunite with Villeneuve on the project.

The sequel, set several decades after the original, is written by Hampton Fancher and Michael Green, and succeeds the initial story by Fancher and David Peoples, based on Philip K. Dick’s novel “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.” Plot details are still under wraps.

The movie hits theaters on Oct. 6, 2017.

Warner Bros. is handling domestic distribution, while Sony is taking on international distribution.

Alcon Entertainment acquired the film, television and ancillary franchise rights to “Blade Runner” in 2011 from the late producer Bud Yorkin and Cynthia Sikes Yorkin to produce prequels and sequels to the iconic sci-fi thriller. Cynthia Sikes Yorkin will produce along with Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove. Bud Yorkin will receive a producer credit.

Ridley Scott will serve as executive producer. Frank Giustra and Tim Gamble, CEOs of Thunderbird Films, will also executive produce along with Bill Carraro.

http://deadline.com/2016/06/blade-runner-sequel-barkhad-abdi-cast-1201780866/
‘Blade Runner’ Sequel Adds ‘Captain Phillips’ Co-Star Barkhad Abdi
by Erik Pedersen
June 28, 2016 1:52pm

Captain Phillips Oscar nominee Barkhad Abdi has joined Ryan Gosling, Harrison Ford, Robin Wright in the untitled sequel to Blade Runner. As has been the case with most casting announcements for the film, there are no details on his role. The cast also includes Ana de Armas, Sylvia Hoeks, Carla Juri and Dave Bautista.

Denis Villeneuve is directing the Alcon Entertainment pic, whose story picks up several decades after the conclusion of Ridley Scott’s 1982 original. Production is set to begin next month. Warner Bros will open the film January 12, 2018. Sony has overseas rights.

Abdi made his acting debut as a Somali pirate in Paul Greengrass’ 2013 film Captain Phillips. Along with the Oscar nomination, he earned Supporting Actor noms from the Golden Globes, BAFTA and SAG. Abdi appeared alongside Helen Mirren and Aaron Paul in thriller Eye in the Sky, which Bleecker Street opened in March.

Last edited by a moderator:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Normally I would boo. But Denis Villeneuve directing? That's interesting.

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
I will watch anything by Villeneuve. Huge fan.

Massively premature at this point obviously, but yet another decent shot to finally snatch a cinematography Oscar for Deakins (assuming he loses again this year to Revenant).

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Blade Runner is one of my favorite movies of all time but there's enough distance between the two now that I'm not mortally offended at the thought of a sequel.

The problem is that Blade Runner's strength wasn't it's plot but the atmosphere it created. It's going to be very difficult to match that in a new, unique way.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Villeneuve being the director means I'm definitely going to see this

This is pretty exciting

Movie making >>> plot AINEC

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
It might work if they play it (a la Star Wars) as a 20-30 yr later sequel, with Deckard aged up appropriately and Gosling taking on the new main "action" role - and reprise the visual style.

I wonder if they will remain ambiguous about the end of Blade Runner - Deckard & Rachel, Gaff & origami unicorns, etc

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Blade Runner is one of my favorite movies of all time but there's enough distance between the two now that I'm not mortally offended at the thought of a sequel.

The problem is that Blade Runner's strength wasn't it's plot but the atmosphere it created. It's going to be very difficult to match that in a new, unique way.

Luckily, atmosphere is Villeneuve's middle name.

...I think.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
That got me. :laugh: He does seem to want to corner the market on aloof these days.

He's the same character in every movie. And you know what? **** it, i'm in. Give me more aloof Gosling. Break the needle. Turn it up to 11.

JA

Concept art:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/15/blade-runner-sequel-concept-art?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter
Blade Runner sequel concept art: See a first look
by Sara Vilkomerson
Posted July 15 2016 — 12:00 PM EDT

Plot details, written by Fancher and Michael Green, are being closely guarded, but the director confirms to EW that events take place several decades after the original. The setting is once again a future Los Angeles, albeit one that spreads over much of the West Coast. “The climate has gone berserk – the ocean, the rain, the snow is all toxic,” Villeneuve says. The vehicle pictured in this exclusive concept art from the sequel, Villeneuve says, is a kind of snow blower that hovers over the streets and destroys snow. He laughs. “It’s a Canadian wet dream!”

Ryan Gosling costars with Ford, who is back as runner Rick Deckard – ”he’s full of wisdom and good advice,” according to the filmmaker. Ridley Scott serves as an executive producer, while Roger Deakins, who last teamed with Villeneuve on last year’s Sicario, serves as DP. “It’s a great team and spirits are very high,” Villenevue says. “Failure is not an option.”

The Blade Runner sequel, from Alcon Entertainment, is slated to arrive in theaters on Oct. 6, 2017.

000229943hr.jpg

jessica-1_0.jpg

Cnp66vKWIAA-eEA.jpg:large

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
It might work if they play it (a la Star Wars) as a 20-30 yr later sequel, with Deckard aged up appropriately and Gosling taking on the new main "action" role - and reprise the visual style.

I wonder if they will remain ambiguous about the end of Blade Runner - Deckard & Rachel, Gaff & origami unicorns, etc

Concept art:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/15/blade-runner-sequel-concept-art?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter
Blade Runner sequel concept art: See a first look
by Sara Vilkomerson
Posted July 15 2016 — 12:00 PM EDT

Plot details, written by Fancher and Michael Green, are being closely guarded, but the director confirms to EW that events take place several decades after the original. The setting is once again a future Los Angeles, albeit one that spreads over much of the West Coast. “The climate has gone berserk – the ocean, the rain, the snow is all toxic,†Villeneuve says. The vehicle pictured in this exclusive concept art from the sequel, Villeneuve says, is a kind of snow blower that hovers over the streets and destroys snow. He laughs. “It’s a Canadian wet dream!â€

Ryan Gosling costars with Ford, who is back as runner Rick Deckard – â€he’s full of wisdom and good advice,†according to the filmmaker. Ridley Scott serves as an executive producer, while Roger Deakins, who last teamed with Villeneuve on last year’s Sicario, serves as DP. “It’s a great team and spirits are very high,†Villenevue says. “Failure is not an option.â€

The Blade Runner sequel, from Alcon Entertainment, is slated to arrive in theaters on Oct. 6, 2017.

Check, check, check - I'll keep open some hope it won't be crap.

Promising.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I still get excited hearing Villeneuve and Gosling are making a movie together

Hype level: Heatley trade to SJ and main board speculating he will score 70 goals

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Honestly, after rewatching Blade Runner a month or so ago I'm not too upset at the thought of a sequel/remake. The acting and mood was fantastic but I think if any movie needs an overhaul in CGI and set pieces it's this one.

I trust in Villeneuve to appreciate the task at hand.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Honestly, after rewatching Blade Runner a month or so ago I'm not too upset at the thought of a sequel/remake. The acting and mood was fantastic but I think if any movie needs an overhaul in CGI and set pieces it's this one.

Blade Runner is one of the best looking, most atmospheric movies ever made. It's art direction is legendary.

It does NOT need a CGI overhaul. It looks perfect.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
So far I don't see any reason for me not to watch this. It's the Blade Runner universe with some great actors and a great director.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Blade Runner is one of the best looking, most atmospheric movies ever made. It's art direction is legendary.

It does NOT need a CGI overhaul. It looks perfect.

Oh come on man. For it's time it was gorgeous no doubt. But they can do it again and make it look better. It's not a slight against the film's greatness to say that it could use an update.

It'd be like you saying Goldeneye on N64 was perfect and couldn't use a graphical overhaul. Don't be absurd

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg

I couldn't possibly disagree with you more. The original is the most visually pleasing film experience I've ever had. The cinematography is absolutely gorgeous. Even in the golden age of cinematography that we live in it is hardly ever matched.

I genuinely cannot fathom how someone who sees this:

Or this:

Could possibly think "this needs better CGI".

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Oh come on man. For it's time it was gorgeous no doubt. But they can do it again and make it look better. It's not a slight against the film's greatness to say that it could use an update.

It'd be like you saying Goldeneye on N64 was perfect and couldn't use a graphical overhaul. Don't be absurd
Watch the clip Franck put up. Or just watch the Final Cut Blu-Ray again.

The movie doesn't look dated because they used practical effects and did a TON of art-direction. It's legendary for its look, man. I simply can't see how it could possibly look better than it does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->