Movies: Blade Runner 2049 (2017): Ryan Gosling, Harrison Ford. Directed by Denis Villeneuve.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
So is this new one going to be far less 80's?

I know Blade Runner is a big crowd favourite and there's been some discussion on here about how good the visuals are. Yes this is true, but... it had a massive 80's aesthetic influence to it, far more so than other classics from the same time like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Alien, The Thing, and so on. It's like a vision of 30 years into the future if horrible 80's fashion never went away.

And when I finally did watch it a few years ago I just figured Deckard was a human, simply because he seemed like a wimpy human the way he got tossed around by the replicants he hunted.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
One thing that always bothered me about the original was the cheesy saxophone music. I felt like it didn't fit the sci-fi them at all. It's probably the only complaint I have about that movie.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
They gonna finally reveal Harrison Ford was a replicate?

I kind of wondered about how they would explain the aging.

"It was the latest technology to make the replicants feel more humans."

"Oh, ok."

sabresfan129103 said:
One thing that always bothered me about the original was the cheesy saxophone music. I felt like it didn't fit the sci-fi them at all. It's probably the only complaint I have about that movie.

That's funny because the Vangelis soundtrack has gone down as one of the more epic soundtracks from that era.

It's sort of meant to be a combination of edgy sci-fi music mixed with your noir detective blues.

I still listen to Bladerunner Blues and Rachel's Song from time to time.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm pretty damn sure it'll be better than the original even if the rankings will be lower from the cynics. The original was amazing in terms of visuals and mood but let's be honest, the storyline and even the dialogue were a bit messy. Villeneuve is gonna keep **** tight and give us something much more cohesive and more tense while maintaining the right tone. The visuals are not gonna be as groundbreaking but they'll be good nonetheless.

And that trailer suggests Ford was not a Replicant judging by how he's aged in the trailer.

Or it says Deckard is an advanced replicant that more closely mimicked people by aging and having an actual life arc.

Why? Gosling is a great actor. He will do the job well.

Partly because it's a movie that doesn't need a sequel at all. Partly because they are going to screw it up. Make a sequel to Brazil while they're at it.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Still don't think a sequel is needed, but hope this is good. I really hope this isn't just another cash grab and ends up being a mediocre sequel.

So is this new one going to be far less 80's?

I know Blade Runner is a big crowd favourite and there's been some discussion on here about how good the visuals are. Yes this is true, but... it had a massive 80's aesthetic influence to it, far more so than other classics from the same time like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Alien, The Thing, and so on. It's like a vision of 30 years into the future if horrible 80's fashion never went away.

And when I finally did watch it a few years ago I just figured Deckard was a human, simply because he seemed like a wimpy human the way he got tossed around by the replicants he hunted.

Blade Runner has always had a mix of 1940's noir and urban decay in my opinion. Yea some of the fashion is absurd, but it's hardly the only movie to dress their future people in stupid looking clothing.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Gosling is best when he doesn't talk much which is kind of what Blade Runner is about anyway.

Short on dialogue - long on mood.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Blade Runner is really just noir set in a sci fi/dystopian future. So the original soundtrack fit that quite well.

Something about the trailer seems off to me. Like the production value of what they are showing isn't quite right. The first movie didn't use a lot of tight shots and let you soak in the atmosphere. Maybe 2049 will have more of that but what they showed was a bit generic.

It must end with a variant of this:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Looks and sounds ****ing gorgeous. Can't wait for this!

Also, Ryan Gosling will do just fine.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Does the trailer give away much/look good? I try to avoid watching trailers nowadays.

I'd say watch this trailer and then tell yourself that you're done. The right amount of hinting.

Does it look good? **** yeah.

cy8giQf.png

Va8Oa87.png

Get that Oscar Deakins!

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Man, did they ever capture the look, feel and sound of the original.

Seeing as 99% of the film was mood, that's a fantastic development.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I am not a fan of the trailer in terms of its construction and production, but the content shown looks great. Is it weird to hold that opinion?

Very excited. :yo:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
My god that looks beautiful. The cinematography is absolutely phenomenal.

I never saw the original but I'll get around to it before this comes out. I'm so on board.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
I am not a fan of the trailer in terms of its construction and production, but the content shown looks great. Is it weird to hold that opinion?

Very excited. :yo:

Lots of bad movies (e.g. Spider Man 3, Battle Los Angeles) have well constructed, well produced trailers. They have to be in order to mask deficiencies and/or drum up interest. The look and content of the individual scenes in this trailer are awesome and that's what I'm focused on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad