Movies: Blade Runner 2049 (2017): Ryan Gosling, Harrison Ford. Directed by Denis Villeneuve.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Blade Runner's visuals hold up 35 years after the fact.

You'll be able to count on one hand the number of contemporary CGI-dependent films that will be able to say that in 35 years. The overwhelming majority of "state-of-the-art" stuff from 20 years ago already looks laughably bad.

I disagree.

Come-at-me-bro-psy-32255808-500-280.jpg

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Blade Runner's visuals hold up 35 years after the fact.

You'll be able to count on one hand the number of contemporary CGI-dependent films that will be able to say that in 35 years. The overwhelming majority of "state-of-the-art" stuff from 20 years ago already looks laughably bad.

I'd say even ten years ago, revenge of the siths CGI has aged terribly,

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'd say even ten years ago, revenge of the siths CGI has aged terribly,

Sure has. Generally speaking, the more CGI a movie has, the less immersion I have in a film. As much progress as computer animation has made, you can still usually tell when it's present, something that only gets more obvious after a few years.

The movies that use CGI well are few and far between, and they're usually the ones that use it judiciously. T2 was one of them.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
You disagree that practical effects age better than CG?

You realize you can dislike an aesthetic and still think it looks good right?
I was the guy arguing about this with x Tame Impala the last few pages, but to be fair, I would disagree that practical effects inherently age better than CGI. Neither are inherently better in all cases-- It all depends on how you use them and whether you avoid over-extending beyond their capabilities (and people who use CGI happen to overabuse it alot). Blade Runner is an example of something that hasn't aged because it used its available technology perfectly.

But this idea he has that more advanced technology is better 100% of the time just because TECHNOLOGY is completely ludicrous, IMO.

Also, I don't understand how your second comment is possible, but maybe we shouldn't open up that can of worms.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I don't recall ever saying it was a guarantee that the movie will look better just because CGI tech has improved.

My point was that Blade Runner could possibly benefit from an effects enhancement. I also said that this all hinges on Villeneuve and his ability to give us another beautiful film.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't recall ever saying it was a guarantee that the movie will look better just because CGI tech has improved.

My point was that Blade Runner could possibly benefit from an effects enhancement. I also said that this all hinges on Villeneuve and his ability to give us another beautiful film.
I recall you suggesting that things in the past can't look as good as they do now because technology constantly improves. In other words, the effects in Blade Runner has been surpassed, and can't look as good as modern CGI-heavy blockbusters like Prometheus because it has the benefit of better technology.

That's what I find ludicrous. If your view is different, I apologize.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Remember how much better the Solaris reboot looked than the original?

Think of how far improved the visuals in 2001: A Space Odyssey sequel would be in 2016.

JA

The film has its title: Blade Runner 2049.

1a0q7ccK.jpg

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/10/06/blade-runner-sequel-title
Blade Runner sequel title officially revealed
'Blade Runner 2049' will be released on Oct. 6, 2017 — exactly one year from today

The highly anticipated Blade Runner sequel finally has a name: Blade Runner 2049.

With plot points kept mostly under wraps, let the guessing games begin! Here’s what we do know: Harrison Ford returns as Rick Deckard — his iconic role from the 1982 original — alongside Ryan Gosling, to say nothing of an impressive supporting cast that includes Robin Wright, Jared Leto, Mackenzie Davis, Ana de Armas, Dave Bautista, Lennie James, and Barkhad Abdi.

Director Denis Villeneuve (Sicario and the upcoming Arrival), told EW that the events in the new film take place several decades after the Ridley Scott-directed original, and the setting is once again a future dystopian Los Angeles. Hampton Fancher, who was responsible for turning Philip K. Dick’s 1968 novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? into the Blade Runner screenplay, has returned for its sequel, along with Michael Green (Alien: Covenant). It was Fancher who was able to soothe Villeneuve’s pre-production nerves. “He told me that Blade Runner was a dream. We just have to dream again and not worry too much about logic. That removed so much pressure and gave me the key to move forward.â€

Blade Runner 2049, from Alcon Entertainment, will arrive in theaters one year from today on Oct. 6, 2017. You can see a new photo of Villeneuve, Scott, Ford, and Gosling on the film’s set below.
blade-runner-2049.jpg

member 51464

The last time I let myself get excited for something like this, it was Prometheus. But alas, here I go, getting excited again.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Am I the only one who wouldn't have entirely minded Harrison Ford putting a bullet in Gosling right there and the movie ending after like seven minutes? Makes me want to revisit the original, though.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Some really talented people working on this, on and off the screen. If ever a long-awaited sequel looked promising enough to fill the shoes of its predecessor, I think it would be this one.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Blade Runner is my favorite film of all time. I think they'll get this right. Ford and Scott coming back along with the new additions should be a solid group.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Can't wait. The movie has HUGE shoes to fill. I like tone.

I'm pretty damn sure it'll be better than the original even if the rankings will be lower from the cynics. The original was amazing in terms of visuals and mood but let's be honest, the storyline and even the dialogue were a bit messy. Villeneuve is gonna keep **** tight and give us something much more cohesive and more tense while maintaining the right tone. The visuals are not gonna be as groundbreaking but they'll be good nonetheless.

And that trailer suggests Ford was not a Replicant judging by how he's aged in the trailer.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I'm pretty damn sure it'll be better than the original even if the rankings will be lower from the cynics. The original was amazing in terms of visuals and mood but let's be honest, the storyline and even the dialogue were a bit messy. Villeneuve is gonna keep **** tight and give us something much more cohesive and more tense while maintaining the right tone. The visuals are not gonna be as groundbreaking but they'll be good nonetheless.

And that trailer suggests Ford was not a Replicant judging by how he's aged in the trailer.

I agree. Denis Villeneuve deserves optimism from viewers. He's made some phenemonal movie. I know the original form took liberties from the Phillip K. Dick novel, but for whatever it's worth, in the novel, the fact that Deckard is a human being is never in question, especially considering how important the ethical line between humans and replicants is as a theme in the novel.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00