Movies: Blade Runner 2049 (2017): Ryan Gosling, Harrison Ford. Directed by Denis Villeneuve.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
To be fair, it's rare to have a transcendent performance in any film. That's why they're referred to as transcendent. :laugh:

:laugh: fair enough. It seems to be an in-thing right now for actors to downplay their characters. At times I wish Nic Cage was thirty again and being crazy.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'm definitely not expecting anything equal to what Rutger Hauer did for Blade Runner, but they do need someone to play the high energy expressive role opposite the reserved lead. Maybe that will be Jared Leto, but I've never though that highly of him.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Movie hasn't shown up at festivals and now Johansson's name is scrubbed from some posters. That, with the runtime of 2:43, has me concerned this is heading towards turd territory.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Movie hasn't shown up at festivals and now Johansson's name is scrubbed from some posters. That, with the runtime of 2:43, has me concerned this is heading towards turd territory.

They announced back in July that Hans Zimmer was helping with the score.

who_me?

Oct 7, 2003
This is looking more and more like a lame reboot rather than a sequel.

Hopefully they'll release the original in the theaters again.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Looks like the post with all the early impressions got lost in the move. Review embargo is being moved up to Friday because the studio expects excellent reviews. This previously happened for Mad Max and Wonder Woman.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Finally checking out the original to prepare myself for the new one.

The reviews are promising. Sounds like it could be this year's Mad Max Fury Road only having a more profound and impactful plot behind it. I really hope it can do well. If this can do well, we might see more big budget blockbusters like it and Mad Max FR.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Finally checking out the original to prepare myself for the new one.

The reviews are promising. Sounds like it could be this year's Mad Max Fury Road only having a more profound and impactful plot behind it. I really hope it can do well. If this can do well, we might see more big budget blockbusters like it and Mad Max FR.
You've never seen the original?

I really do hope it is good though.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
You've never seen the original?

I really do hope it is good though.
It's always been on my have to watch list. I have several titles on that list that would surprise most people given that I'm a self proclaimed movie lover :P

I just get caught up in what's new and rewatching favorites I forget about my watchlist.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I have also never watched from beginning to end the original. I've seen a few scenes here and there.
I think it's worth watching. You can rent it for like 3 bucks.

The visuals are dated on their face but if you can recognize what era it was made in, it's actually pretty impressive.

I'm gonna watch it again cause I still have the rental and the first time I didn't really...get drawn in. Like I know the big question is "is Deckard a replicant" and I didn't feel some big desire to wonder whether or not he was.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

The visuals are dated on their face but if you can recognize what era it was made in, it's actually pretty impressive.

I'm gonna watch it again cause I still have the rental and the first time I didn't really...get drawn in. Like I know the big question is "is Deckard a replicant" and I didn't feel some big desire to wonder whether or not he was.
The big question isn't whether Deckard is a replicant or not, that is one of those hindsight discussions that came up because of the ambiguity in the movie. The big question in the movie has always been "what does it mean to be human?" The characters that display the most humanity in the movie are the replicant characters, while the humans, especially the masses walking the streets, come off as cold, emotionless, and lacking empathy.

Reactions: Mikey 48

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

The visuals are timeless, especially in the remastered final cut.

Anyone interested in the sequel absolutely should watch the original.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
^ I guess I didn't watch the remastered one because I saw footage of the remaster and it looked a lot better than the one I saw.
The big question isn't whether Deckard is a replicant or not, that is one of those hindsight discussions that came up because of the ambiguity in the movie. The big question in the movie has always been "what does it mean to be human?" The characters that display the most humanity in the movie are the replicant characters, while the humans, especially the masses walking the streets, come off as cold, emotionless, and lacking empathy.
I guess I sort of got that too. Just didn't profoundly hit me I guess.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It's not exactly getting blockbuster hype anywhere else either. It was never the type of movie to do that though.

I think it'll be one of those quietly excellent movies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
No hype at all for this? Many reviews saying it's better than the original.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I would talk more about it on here if it weren't for this horrible new site design.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Ol' Jase

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

I just watched it for the first time maybe 5 years ago, thought the visuals were great but as for 'what era it was made in' that was one of my criticisms of the show as the style was so obviously influenced by the 80's. Didn't help that the movie was set in 2017(?) either!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad