Movies: Blade Runner 2049 (2017): Ryan Gosling, Harrison Ford. Directed by Denis Villeneuve.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The first clip didn't do much to convince me, the second one was very nice. I've never seen the digitally remastered version. Ironic that they made one though, since it was surely "perfect".

I'm not ******** on the movie. I grew up watching it all the time with my dad. Just saying that "Blade Runner" is one of the very rare cases where an already excellent movie could be even better with a visual overhaul and based on his previous work, I trust Villeneuve to do a fine job.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think you're dead wrong about this one x Tame Impala. A digital remaster merely attempts to restore the original visual/audio quality of the film projected in theatres and clean up degradation. It doesn't add CGI/modern effects to make it look more updated. Yes, the VHS/DVD transfers of it at the time leave alot to be desired, thus the need for a restoration-- I don't think you'll see anyone deny that.

But this idea that all visuals become obsolete because of technology is completely wrong. Blade Runner isn't just a good looking film for its time (I hate when everything is reduced to this), it's a beautiful looking film, period. It's extremely doubtful that a modern remake, even with its technological advantage will be able to match the visual prowess of the original, other than superficially (shininess/gloss).

There is a reason why something like, say, Alien still looks better than something like Prometheus. Great and tasteful art direction and an eye for what looks right is timeless. And Blade Runner is one of the best looking films out there.

If anything, the thing that has stagnated over time about Blade Runner is the profundity of the plot-- but it's such a visually striking and mesmerizing film that that's nearly irrelevant.

The Goldeneye example doesn't work because Goldeneye isn't a game with visually timeless art direction or even has that type of reputation. I would not be surprised if some old games do exist that might look better than they would if remade with updated graphics.

Last edited:

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Fed up with reboots and remakes. But I'm ok with sequels. This looks promising. It doesn't have to be as good as the original.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I think you're dead wrong about this one x Tame Impala. A digital remaster merely attempts to restore the original visual/audio quality of the film projected in theatres and clean up degradation. It doesn't add CGI/modern effects to make it look more updated. Yes, the VHS/DVD transfers of it at the time leave alot to be desired, thus the need for a restoration-- I don't think you'll see anyone deny that.

No. The poster that quoted me said the film was perfect.

But this idea that all visuals become obsolete because of technology is completely wrong. Blade Runner isn't just a good looking film for its time (I hate when everything is reduced to this), it's a beautiful looking film, period. It's extremely doubtful that a modern remake, even with its technological advantage will be able to match the visual prowess of the original, other than superficially (shininess/gloss).

There is a reason why something like, say, Alien still looks better than something like Prometheus. Great and tasteful art direction and an eye for what looks right is timeless. And Blade Runner is one of the best looking films out there.

I disagree. I thought one of the only things Prometheus had going for it was that it was visually stunning. It "looked better" than Alien. What I think you guys are getting hung up on is that you think I think that somehow translates into a visually stunning film made in 2016 is automatically better than one that passed for visually stunning in 1982.

AGAIN, I'm not saying it wasn't a beautiful film. I'm sure in 1982 the scenes were mind blowing. But try and look at it from the point of view from a guy who only watched it as a child and then watched it again 15 years later. Some of the effects are objectively outdated.

If anything, the thing that has stagnated over time about Blade Runner is the profundity of the plot-- but it's such a visually striking and mesmerizing film that that's nearly irrelevant.

The Goldeneye example doesn't work because Goldeneye isn't a game with visually timeless art direction or even has that type of reputation. I would not be surprised if some old games do exist that might look better than they would if remade with updated graphics.

I disagree but I'll give you a different game that was undeniably praised for it's graphical breakthrough.

Halo: Combat Evolved

This is one of my favorite games I've ever played. I played it over and over again as a 12-13 year old and absolutely loved it. I played it again as a 23 year old and I still loved the game, but it was shocking to see how the visual effects of the game that wowed me back then looked so inferior now. The game looks blocky and outdated. No facial detail, trouble smoothly transitioning from area to area, etc...

I still love Halo 1. It's still one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had and I will always love playing that game. Fast forward to 2015 when Halo 5 comes out and we're two generations of console technology ahead of where Halo 1 was. The graphics are objectively better but the game certainly isn't.

Point being, it's possible to acknowledge the deficiencies of technology 34 years ago and admitting they can be improved upon without degradation of the film. I love Blade Runner. The nostalgia of watching it with my dad is on the same level of enjoyment I got from playing Halo. That doesn't mean it was perfect. It just means it was perfect for it's time.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
No. The poster that quoted me said the film was perfect.
And? A film needing to be digitally remastered does nothing to suggest that a film in its original incarnation isn't visually perfect. A remaster is a restoration of what it actually looked like in the theatres originally, not a technological update. In fact most old films that get actual technological updates in their restorations end up looking worse (see what George Lucas did to the original Star Wars).

By saying "no" to "I don't think anyone will deny that <the VHS/DVD transfer leaves alot to desired>," are you suggesting that VHS tapes/DVDs need to be theatre quality in order for a film to be perfect? :huh:
I disagree. I thought one of the only things Prometheus had going for it was that it was visually stunning. It "looked better" than Alien. What I think you guys are getting hung up on is that you think I think that somehow translates into a visually stunning film made in 2016 is automatically better than one that passed for visually stunning in 1982.

AGAIN, I'm not saying it wasn't a beautiful film. I'm sure in 1982 the scenes were mind blowing. But try and look at it from the point of view from a guy who only watched it as a child and then watched it again 15 years later. Some of the effects are objectively outdated.
I can't speak for the others, but you couldn't be more wrong about this perception of me. I'm basing my argument on how aesthetically pleasing it looks, not how good the movie itself is. In fact, this was implied when I said that I don't think the movie would be good enough to be considered a lasting timeless classic, without the benefit of the aesthetic presentation still holding up. That's the complete opposite of overstating the quality of the visuals out of regard for the quality of the movie. I think the content of the movie itself is somewhat overrated now but the visuals/presentation as they look currently, are what keep it afloat. Consequently, you saying "I'm not saying the movie isn't great" to meet me half-way is actually in direct disagreement to what I think about it. I think the outstanding visuals/presentation elevate an otherwise merely solid/serviceable movie, not the other way around.

I was not alive in 1982. Try to look at it from the point of view of a late-twenties adult who watched it for the first time no more recently than 2008 and was blown away by the way it looked, viewed completely in a modern context, and continues to feel that way. You actually have more nostalgia attached to it than I do. I just think it's a visually gorgeous film, period. I'm ignorant of what it looked like "at the time". I don't know what the context was, and I don't hold any reverence for that kind of thing (or nostalgia) in general. I just think that some old films look better than some new films.
I disagree but I'll give you a different game that was undeniably praised for it's graphical breakthrough.

Halo: Combat Evolved

This is one of my favorite games I've ever played. I played it over and over again as a 12-13 year old and absolutely loved it. I played it again as a 23 year old and I still loved the game, but it was shocking to see how the visual effects of the game that wowed me back then looked so inferior now. The game looks blocky and outdated. No facial detail, trouble smoothly transitioning from area to area, etc...

I still love Halo 1. It's still one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had and I will always love playing that game. Fast forward to 2015 when Halo 5 comes out and we're two generations of console technology ahead of where Halo 1 was. The graphics are objectively better but the game certainly isn't.

Point being, it's possible to acknowledge the deficiencies of technology 34 years ago and admitting they can be improved upon without degradation of the film. I love Blade Runner. The nostalgia of watching it with my dad is on the same level of enjoyment I got from playing Halo. That doesn't mean it was perfect. It just means it was perfect for it's time.
I suggested that there could very well exist an older game that is visually timeless that would look better than a modern game with more up to date graphics. This doesn't suggest that all games that are praised for their visuals should hold up over time.

This is what I think. Old games/films that are praised for their visuals purely because they're reliant on how technologically ground-breaking they were at the time are doomed to become dated (a modern example of that is Avatar). They are the opposite of timeless, because their visual quality hinges on something that just gets better and better. You may think this sounds like I'm agreeing with you, but I'm not. There is more to what looks good than solely the technology involved. What matters infinitely more than that is how you make use of the technology that you have.

Blade Runner is better looking than most films made with better technology today because it used its limited technology more effectively, with better art direction, more restraint, and a better eye for visual appeal. It's the same principle as why, in the right/wrong hands, practical effects can look better than bad CGI, even though CGI objectively has more capability. In my opinion, visuals only become dated if its deployer misjudges the capabilities of the current technology and uses it in such a way that reaches beyond what it can do that will remain seamless and will hold up. Most films with CGI released today will look dated later, but only because they try to push the technology beyond what it can convincingly do, and we forgive it now but won't later. Some films will avoid falling into that trap, and will look nearly as good in fifity years as they do now.

Point being, it's possible to acknowledge the deficiencies of technology 34 years ago, but it's also possible for lesser technology to look better than more advanced technology, despite these deficiencies. In the end, technology is only as effective as the talent using it and the art direction manipulating it. That doesn't mean that in every case, something visually groundbreaking for its time should then be visually strong forever. But that also doesn't mean that, in every case, it must be limited to being visually good only for its time, which is what you seem to be suggesting.

Last edited:

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
I think you're dead wrong about this one x Tame Impala. A digital remaster merely attempts to restore the original visual/audio quality of the film projected in theatres and clean up degradation. It doesn't add CGI/modern effects to make it look more updated.

<cough> unless you're George Lucas </cough>

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Right? I mean, Aliens, Terminator 2, The Thing (1982). Those sucked! :sarcasm:

Good source material in the hands of competent filmmakers always has potential.

I can't disagree, but that was in a different time when the market wasn't as saturated with a need to remake things just because, or because of nostalgic movie-goers. James Cameron and John Carpenter legitimately wanted to take those movies and make them their own, separate from the industry.

One of my biggest problems with modern remakes is that they often miss the entire point of what made the originals so great. Take the RoboCop remake - the original wasn't just about the story of a robotic police officer. It's a brilliant satire that immerses you in the world. The new one just strips it down to a regular boring action movie.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I can't disagree, but that was in a different time when the market wasn't as saturated with a need to remake things just because, or because of nostalgic movie-goers. James Cameron and John Carpenter legitimately wanted to take those movies and make them their own, separate from the industry.

One of my biggest problems with modern remakes is that they often miss the entire point of what made the originals so great. Take the RoboCop remake - the original wasn't just about the story of a robotic police officer. It's a brilliant satire that immerses you in the world. The new one just strips it down to a regular boring action movie.
This is all very true but I think this movie will be an exception.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I think the people involved know they're bringing back a classic film. They're not making a sequel to "Total Recall" here. There's an inherent sense of responsibility that comes with taking on a protect like this so I think they'll do a good job.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I think the people involved know they're bringing back a classic film. They're not making a sequel to "Total Recall" here. There's an inherent sense of responsibility that comes with taking on a protect like this so I think they'll do a good job.

If it was pretty much any director other than Villeneuve, then I would have serious doubts about this project.

At the very least, I have trouble imagining this film as anything less than a visual treat.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't understand what's so hard to understand about the difference.

Doing a sequel decades after the fact, a reboot, or a reboot with an all female cast all have the air of an uninspired money-grab/marketing gimmick that has a lower chance of being great than an original idea.

However, a reboot and a reboot with an all female cast stinks even more of that than a sequel because with a sequel, there is more of a chance that it exists because a creative actually has an idea and thinks they can do something interesting with the property.

Consequently, a reboot with an all female cast stinks even more of that than a normal reboot because there's the added blatant gimmick that further removes the possibility that the creative wants to do the original justice. The existance of any blatant gimmick placed on top of this would do this-- An all black cast, an all fat comedian cast, an all elderly/toddler cast, an all animal cast. It would be hypocritical if we had a different reaction to any of these gimmicks as we did to an all female cast. Not so if we have a different reaction to a far less aggregious version of it.

It trivializes the content to intentionally make it about something that has no value and shouldn't be a thing. And the more layers of this you add, the worse it becomes.

But really, there is evidence that the same seed of skepticism/distaste exists even for this Blade Runner sequel because many people are saying "It looks promising, but I don't know, I'm going to wait and see" rather than "This is going to be amazing". This is because, if not for other factors like good director and good actors, this would be extremely questionable as well.

That's 100% consistent with the way people react to the idea of an all female reboot. Is it possible that there's some sexism at play with that idea? Sure, but it's ludicrous to suggest that the way people are reacting in this thread says anything about that.

Last edited:

JA

This guy reminds me of Roy.

bladerunner.0.0.jpg

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Good to see Harrison Ford making a second fortune going back to play all his old roles haha.

JA

Jared Leto has joined the cast.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/08/jared-leto-blade-runner-sequel
Jared Leto Joins Blade Runner Sequel in Mystery Role
Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford just got an unpredictable new co-star.
by Joanna Robinson
August 18, 2016 3:21 pm

Jared Leto has joined the upcoming Blade Runner sequel, and while no details have been released about who it is he will be playing, it’s likely not going to be a low-key gumshoe like Harrison Ford’s Rick Deckard.

The most information we have so far about Leto’s part is that it will be a “key role” and studio C.E.O.s Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson promise a “memorable, never before seen character.” It’s pure speculation, then, to guess that Leto—so recently seen in all his trash-punk glory in Suicide Squad—will be playing a stylish android like Daryl Hannah’s character in the original 1982 film. But you have to admit, it’s not a crazy guess.

Leto joins a cast that already includes Ford, Ryan Gosling, Robin Wright, Ana de Armas, Sylvia Hoeks, Carla Juri, Mackenzie Davis (another likely candidate for a Hannah-esque role), Barkhad Abdi, David Dastmalchian, Hiam Abbass, Lennie James, and Dave Bautista.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I guess without the pressure to follow a performance like Ledger's Joker, he should be fine in this.

I still thought he was fine as the Joker and it was more an issue with usage and concept.

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
If the in his 70s Ford does any fighting of the super quick androids, I'll wait for rental. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? ;)

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Honestly, after rewatching Blade Runner a month or so ago I'm not too upset at the thought of a sequel/remake. The acting and mood was fantastic but I think if any movie needs an overhaul in CGI and set pieces it's this one.

I trust in Villeneuve to appreciate the task at hand.

Blade Runner's visuals hold up 35 years after the fact.

You'll be able to count on one hand the number of contemporary CGI-dependent films that will be able to say that in 35 years. The overwhelming majority of "state-of-the-art" stuff from 20 years ago already looks laughably bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00