Confirmed with Link: Binghamton Senators Moving To Belleville

IamJust0ne

May 4, 2006
I guess with the non disclosure agreement nothing is getting out? I guess no news is good news

All I've heard on the Belleville side of things is that there's been 2 separate city council meetings cancelled last minute regarding the arena renovation. Haven't heard much since then

BSensFan72

Sep 4, 2012
All I've heard on the Belleville side of things is that there's been 2 separate city council meetings cancelled last minute regarding the arena renovation. Haven't heard much since then

I hear ya , it's frustrating there has been no confirmation , they say we need to start asap on renos but can't have a council meeting to approve the renos until it's a done and signed deal. The last meeting that was cancelled was at 9AM and there was a press conference slated for 10AM at the QSWC. The people involved say everything is still good to have patience, hmmmmm

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I hear ya , it's frustrating there has been no confirmation , they say we need to start asap on renos but can't have a council meeting to approve the renos until it's a done and signed deal. The last meeting that was cancelled was at 9AM and there was a press conference slated for 10AM at the QSWC. The people involved say everything is still good to have patience, hmmmmm

It's never a done deal until the signatures hit the contract. It seems that the City Councillors are trying to extract more than was agreed to in prior discussions.

BSensFan72

Sep 4, 2012
It's never a done deal until the signatures hit the contract. It seems that the City Councillors are trying to extract more than was agreed to in prior discussions.

Are you saying this as you know what's going on? Or r u speculating?

BSensFan72

Sep 4, 2012
I guess the confidentiality agreement that was signed is actually working? Nothing is getting out, the clock is ticking on getting this done in time to do expansion and renovations in time for next year? I guess we can only hope the timeline they have set out is padded high and it won't take as long as they say?

BSensFan72

Sep 4, 2012
A rumour in Belleville says deal is off and ice could be going back into Yardman by October? Anyone hearing anything ?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Havent heard anything related to us not moving to Belleville as of yet.Its such a good fit ,i cant see them not doing it .Having a local guy in Crawford ,should help with some of the transition

BSensFan72

Sep 4, 2012
Ok thanks top shelf, I myself haven't heard a word on anything since the council meeting was postponed in August. I just read on another message board that the deal is off and ice was going back into the Yardmen? He is the only person I have seen or heard it from so it made me wonder if anyone heard anything elsewhere. We are not a big city so you think more than one person would have been talking about it

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Ok thanks top shelf, I myself haven't heard a word on anything since the council meeting was postponed in August. I just read on another message board that the deal is off and ice was going back into the Yardmen? He is the only person I have seen or heard it from so it made me wonder if anyone heard anything elsewhere. We are not a big city so you think more than one person would have been talking about it
We need to push back the leafs and their huge marketing swath,Belleville is supposed to be Sens turf ,we need to knock old bluey out of there :handclap:

BSensFan72

Sep 4, 2012
LOL. Dont have a problem with that but an official announcement would be nice? I know everyone up here? I know people here in Belleville are frustrated over the amount of time it's taken to make it official and are anticipating an announcement soon?

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
LOL. Dont have a problem with that but an official announcement would be nice? I know everyone up here? I know people here in Belleville are frustrated over the amount of time it's taken to make it official and are anticipating an announcement soon?

Not sure about the arena renovation stuff, but from the Senators side, Binghamton has been a great AHL affiliate, not sure they'd want to shoot Binghamton's owners in the foot by announcing a move early. Bingo attendance is surely going to take a hit if an affiliate change is announced now. Don't think we'll get anything official on relocation for a long time.

Step 1, obviously, is the renovation stuff, though, and your leak is the only one I've heard of yet, though I'm not sure I'd trust that one.

BSensFan72

Sep 4, 2012
I get that it won't be good for Binghamton to go into a lame duck season but my issues

1. The AHL is controlling when it gets announced
2. There was a meeting scheduled for August 18th that got cancelled ( they say that all was not done on AHL Sale to someone's liking)
3. The meeting on the 18th was scheduled for 9am to approve the arena renos which was followed at 10:30 with a press conference as all parties were in Belleville
4. They say the renos will take a year and need to start in the fall? ( maybe they can get it done quicker I'm sure the original timeline is padded)

So if the AHL is controlling the announcement and the city won't approve the renos until they have a deal and the AHL wants to wait to announce it thus not allowing enuff time for renos to be done?

I guess our only hope is city staff is working behind the scenes so once it finally is approved everything is done and ready to roll?
I just feel the stalling is a tactic that one of the parties is using to get out of the deal?

BSensFan72

Sep 4, 2012
That's my question too .... Why do we need it approved in order to do the renos?
They could have passed the renos at council and started them , I guess that would take a proactive council and not reactive. I guess time will tell

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
On that note, I think I brought this up a few pages ago, but I'm not sure why the title says "Confirmed with link" when it's most definitely not been confirmed. In fact even the OP's article quotes a couple of anonymous county officials saying that the B-Sens are moving and only speculates that Belleville may be the destination. It may be a poorly kept secret, but "Binghamton Moving To Belleville" is far from "Confirmed" with or without link.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Just a speculation but my guess is Sens don't want to foot the bill for renovations at the Belleville arena. At the same time Belleville council doesn't want that either.
Sens announcing the move would tie their hands so they are not rushing it. Rumors like those that the deal may be off also plays in their favor as the council is getting under pressure.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Downgraded title to rumour based on the above comments. Until we get something from an official source, I guess we'll just have to treat it as a badly kept secret

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Just a speculation but my guess is Sens don't want to foot the bill for renovations at the Belleville arena. At the same time Belleville council doesn't want that either.
Sens announcing the move would tie their hands so they are not rushing it. Rumors like those that the deal may be off also plays in their favor as the council is getting under pressure.

Sure that could be part of it as well maybe Belleville wants the Sens to do more such as have a couple pre season games there each year which maybe the Sens don't like.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
......$18 million for renovations? That seems pretty hefty. I would think a brand new building wouldn't cost much more than that.

As a comparison, Cambridge is looking at building a multiplex comparable to The Aud in Kitchener or RIM Park in Waterloo (or alternatively Brantford's Gretzky Centre or the Magna Centre in Newmarket)... and the price tag starts at 53M for the multiplex and then land costs are on top of that.

So it could inflate anywhere up in the neighbourhood of 75-100M by the time all is said and done if they ever agree on where to place it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad