Confirmed with Link: Binghamton Senators Moving To Belleville

BigEyedPhish

Aug 23, 2006
:D
For Binghamton fans, the Devils will be coming into town (and they are chomping at the bit).

So much so that they actually suggested having two AHL teams in Binghamton at one time, which would have actually been hilarious to see for a season.

I am surprised that they officially announced it so early (the Belleville move) as it would most likely hurt ticket sales in Binghamton.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
First, I sympathize for all of the fans in and around Binghamton because, as said above by someone else, people from around Belleville know exactly what it's like to have a team pulled from under your feet. I wouldn't wish it on anybody.

I was at the press conference as well and thought I'd add a bit as well. First, if any of you are on Twitter, note that the official account is @BellevilleSen (not Sens).

When Eugene was speaking he said something about a new logo. I don't remember his exact words but it sounds like for the time being they'll use the Sens logo for marketing but a new one will be created for Belleville in the meantime. I guess kind of like how Binghamton has a different logo than the Sens logo.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
For Binghamton fans, the Devils will be coming into town (and they are chomping at the bit).

Glad to hear that as it's never nice to lose a team, but the AHL can be turbulent and the affiliation has been there for a long time. If Bingo hits the ground running with another team, especially if it's one that has a more local following (the Rangers would be ideal I suppose) then that would offset losing the Sens.

Belleville is an interesting choice as it seemed like the AHL was trending towards larger cities (San Antonio, San Diego, Tucson) and abandoning smaller cities (Glen's Falls), so Belleville is a bit of an outlier with a population of 50K.

Being a junior hockey fan, I miss the Bulls and the sometimes rivalry with the 67's. I was hoping they would get another OHL team, but hope they can make a go of it in the AHL.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
So I'm assuming the AHL has approved this already or else they wouldn't have announced it, right? Haven't actually heard anything from them.

Marty Straka

HFBoards Senior Citizen
Aug 11, 2009
Toronto, ON
I wonder if they will be completely rebranding the team with new logos and jerseys or just keep the same design and just change Binghamton to Belleville.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
Compared to Bingo it is.

Having been to hockey games in both Bingo and Belleville and stayed in the towns, I can say without a doubt that I enjoyed Bingo more, although there didn't seem to be a lot to do there, so I can see how that could get boring after a while (although I'm sure B-ville suffers from that as well). Belleville has a lot of work to do to get Yardmen up to snuff for the AHL. I was just there a few months ago, and while the adjoining community centre facility is great, the arena itself has not aged well at all, and has none of the even basic necessities one associates with an even remotely modern rink.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
That's nice. Class thing to say. Makes myself feel better at the end of the day.

You rock.

Its not the people of the city its the culture in the States right now and in these small towns its seems to be worse.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Now, I obviously know nothing about adequate size arenas for AHL teams, but Google tells me that the Yardman has a capacity of 3,257.

Is that normal size for the AHL? Or is that on the small side?

Will capacity increase with the renovations and upgrades?

But still, 1,000 season tickets grabbed in 24 hrs is good news.

Hooray to the people of Belleville!

Side note, can the good people of Belleville fill that rink to the brim each and every night? Uncle Eugene needs money.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Now, I obviously know nothing about adequate size arenas for AHL teams, but Google tells me that the Yardman has a capacity of 3,257.

Is that normal size for the AHL? Or is that on the small side?

Will capacity increase with the renovations and upgrades?

But still, 1,000 season tickets grabbed in 24 hrs is good news.

Hooray to the people of Belleville!

Side note, can the good people of Belleville fill that rink to the brim each and every night? Uncle Eugene needs money.

http://www.sportmapworld.com/map/ice-hockey/north-america/ahl/

Not at all. The arena is very small compared to other AHL arenas. I'm not sure if they plan on increasing capacity.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Having been to hockey games in both Bingo and Belleville and stayed in the towns, I can say without a doubt that I enjoyed Bingo more, although there didn't seem to be a lot to do there, so I can see how that could get boring after a while (although I'm sure B-ville suffers from that as well). Belleville has a lot of work to do to get Yardmen up to snuff for the AHL. I was just there a few months ago, and while the adjoining community centre facility is great, the arena itself has not aged well at all, and has none of the even basic necessities one associates with an even remotely modern rink.

$20.5M should be able to spruce it up a bit. The plans look pretty impressive.

http://www.sportmapworld.com/map/ice-hockey/north-america/ahl/

Not at all. The arena is very small compared to other AHL arenas. I'm not sure if they plan on increasing capacity.

Capacity will be increased to 4400 as part of the upgrades.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Hoping that somebody moves into to Bingo sooner, rather than later.

Belleville is an interesting choice as it seemed like the AHL was trending towards larger cities (San Antonio, San Diego, Tucson) and abandoning smaller cities (Glen's Falls), so Belleville is a bit of an outlier with a population of 50K.

Wiki has:
Belleville at 64k (Bingo at 47k)
Kingston at 118K
Peterborough at 81k
Oshawa at 290k

They could possibly draw from these cities, even if only for baby-Leafs/Habs games.

Hockeydb had Bingo's average attendance at 3,800/game for 2015-16.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
$20.5M should be able to spruce it up a bit. The plans look pretty impressive.

Capacity will be increased to 4400 as part of the upgrades.

Still on the small side. But similar capacity to what they had in Bingo. I can't imagine them not being full on a regular basis.

My bf is from Belleville (but a Habs fan... barf). But I joked that this would get me to move to Belleville

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad