Confirmed with Link: Binghamton Senators Moving To Belleville

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Minor league teams should always be close in case an emergency call up is needed and to enable the coaches of both teams to work with each other.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
$18mil doesn't sound like a lot for an arena renovation these days, to be honest.

I mean, the renovations on the Ottawa Civic Center went $17mil over budget, and that extra money was spent solely to reinforce the steel structure.

$18mil for an entire arena renovation seems cheap by comparison.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
$18mil doesn't sound like a lot for an arena renovation these days, to be honest.

I mean, the renovations on the Ottawa Civic Center went $17mil over budget, and that extra money was spent solely to reinforce the steel structure.

$18mil for an entire arena renovation seems cheap by comparison.

Belleville is a city not in great shape some would say its in bad shape so $18 million could go to fund other things are needed.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Belleville is a city not in great shape some would say its in bad shape so $18 million could go to fund other things are needed.

Public money for arenas can almost always, like in 95% of the time, be better spent elsewhere (assuming that it is spent properly elsewhere, which obviously isn't always the case). Public funding for arenas is almost always a money-losing proposition, and almost never return their initial investment. Great for sports fans, bad for the public at large.

I was just saying that within the context of "how much do arenas cost to fix", $18mil doesn't seem like a lot when compared to other recent examples.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I really don't get it. All these mega millions for arenas that have a 20-25 year shelf life. Something is really wrong somewhere. I could see the big dollars if the arena is built to last 50+ years (like they used to), but not these cheap looking sterilized crap boxes they build these days.

IamJust0ne

May 4, 2006
As a comparison, Cambridge is looking at building a multiplex comparable to The Aud in Kitchener or RIM Park in Waterloo (or alternatively Brantford's Gretzky Centre or the Magna Centre in Newmarket)... and the price tag starts at 53M for the multiplex and then land costs are on top of that.

So it could inflate anywhere up in the neighbourhood of 75-100M by the time all is said and done if they ever agree on where to place it.

Cambridge this Cambridge that...when will you ever actually contribute to a thread :sarcasm:

On a more serious note, this morning on Rock 107 (or maybe it was 95.5?) they were saying how they had good news for fans that wanted a hockey team back in town. Something about a meeting on monday I think? I'm going to have to appologize I was just waking up and didn't have a gallon of coffee in myself yet :laugh:

EDIT: http://www.intelligencer.ca/2016/09/22/wait-for-it-hockey-news-expected-monday

spader

Oct 13, 2013
Saskatchewan
Public money for arenas can almost always, like in 95% of the time, be better spent elsewhere (assuming that it is spent properly elsewhere, which obviously isn't always the case). Public funding for arenas is almost always a money-losing proposition, and almost never return their initial investment. Great for sports fans, bad for the public at large.

I was just saying that within the context of "how much do arenas cost to fix", $18mil doesn't seem like a lot when compared to other recent examples.

You also have to consider the push to the local economy that an AHL team could bring. It's not as clear as money in, money out. There are other economic forces working when a team moves.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
You also have to consider the push to the local economy that an AHL team could bring. It's not as clear as money in, money out. There are other economic forces working when a team moves.

Depending on the cost of the arena, most studies have suggested that arenas don't return enough value even for secondary and tertiary markets like the local economy, when compared to the investment into the arena itself. In almost every case, the local economy would have been much better served if arena money had been spent elsewhere in the economy. At least, that's the case for modern pro arenas & stadiums.

I mean, I'm a sports fan, so personally I am benefitting from public money spent on arenas from a personal point of view. Selfishly, for me, I want it to continue, but for the most part for general public as a whole it's a net negative to a city's financial bottom line.

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
Say Goodnight Gracie........

Bruce Garrioch Verified account
‏@SunGarrioch

#Sens have called a news conference in Belleville tomorrow to announce AHL affiliation in 2017-18. Owner Eugene Melnyk will be on hand.

Parker

Mar 25, 2007
Binghamton, NY
We'll miss you guys here in Binghamton. I'm glad we will still have AHL hockey here but the 2011 season was special and I'll miss wearing my Jim O'Brien Calder Cup jersey to home games. I'm an NYR fan but I liked being able to see Ottawa games and watch so many players that came through town here.

Best case scenario: Rangers affiliate

Worst case scenario: Devils affiliate

DangleSnipeCele

Jul 14, 2016
I've heard a rumor that an "Investment firm" (rumored to be MSG) bought a large property in Binghamton along the re-construction of the highway that intersects I-81, I-88 and Route 17 to build a new large arena. This would be huge of Binghamton. Also rumored Binghamton University will use current arena for a Division 1 hockey team. Albany moving to Wilkes-Barre, Bridgeport moving to Long Island, Wilkes-Barre moving to Johnstown and Hartford moving to Binghamton.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
I've heard a rumor that an "Investment firm" (rumored to be MSG) bought a large property in Binghamton along the re-construction of the highway that intersects I-81, I-88 and Route 17 to build a new large arena. This would be huge of Binghamton. Also rumored Binghamton University will use current arena for a Division 1 hockey team. Albany moving to Wilkes-Barre, Bridgeport moving to Long Island, Wilkes-Barre moving to Johnstown and Hartford moving to Binghamton.

My guess is if that's true Bingo would be giving up a ton in return maybe massive tax breaks and or maybe some city or state funding.

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
I've heard a rumor that an "Investment firm" (rumored to be MSG) bought a large property in Binghamton along the re-construction of the highway that intersects I-81, I-88 and Route 17 to build a new large arena. This would be huge of Binghamton. Also rumored Binghamton University will use current arena for a Division 1 hockey team. Albany moving to Wilkes-Barre, Bridgeport moving to Long Island, Wilkes-Barre moving to Johnstown and Hartford moving to Binghamton.[/QUOTE

"DangleSnipeCele":

Whatever you are smoking pass it around even at my age I could use a good buzz.........
:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

That old BS about MSG building a new arena in Binghamton, think up new one please............

As for the AHL moves you mention some of them are very far fetched.......

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I got maybe 5 people at most to observe my free streams...sincerely doubt now you're all going to put down $15/game + parking + time to go out to the game.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
We'll miss you guys here in Binghamton. I'm glad we will still have AHL hockey here but the 2011 season was special and I'll miss wearing my Jim O'Brien Calder Cup jersey to home games. I'm an NYR fan but I liked being able to see Ottawa games and watch so many players that came through town here.

:cheers:

2011 is the first championship in the organization, so Binghamton will always have a special place in my heart. Hope you guys get the Rangers, that would be a great fit imo.

So having said that, isnt it going to get a little bit awkward now that the cat is officially out of the bag (tomorrow)?

Will people still go to the games I wonder, or will there be a backlash of sorts? Can't say I would blame the fans for tuning out somewhat.

Either way, it's smart move for the Sens. Its unfortunate for the Bingo fans, but now they could end up getting what is probably their first choice in the Rangers, so maybe everyone ends up winning at the end of the day.

Ski

Calder Cup Champs
Oct 18, 2007
Binghamton, NY
There are lots going on lately but the move will be made as speculated in the past, thanks to the current management team up in Ottawa. I don't believe one bit it's saving an extra hour in travel time and border crossings to give up a fine past affiliation between the two cities. However, it is what it is.

The latest has the Rangers being the front-runner in replacing the Senators, as they have 1 more season left in Hartford.

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
There are lots going on lately but the move will be made as speculated in the past, thanks to the current management team up in Ottawa. I don't believe one bit it's saving an extra hour in travel time and border crossings to give up a fine past affiliation between the two cities. However, it is what it is.

The latest has the Rangers being the front-runner in replacing the Senators, as they have 1 more season left in Hartford.

It probably isnt saving the hour that is the issue (although customs can sometimes take longer).. It is about building the fan base farther west into Leafs territory

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014

I think Trump could be a factor as if he wins border crossings will be much harder.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
I think Trump could be a factor as if he wins border crossings will be much harder.

Not for professional athletes.
If there is politics involved it might be so Melnyk can state he's creating Canadian jobs in Ontario to get him some lobbying power. Also weak Canadian Dollar.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Not for professional athletes.
If there is politics involved it might be so Melnyk can state he's creating Canadian jobs in Ontario to get him some lobbying power. Also weak Canadian Dollar.

Via wants to run a dedicated line from Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal with a few small stops in between maybe a Belleville stop would be possible if so we could get players up here in about 45 minutes.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

Best of luck Jim, nice drop pass to Turris a few years back by the way!

In all seriousness, I am sorry you guys are losing your team no fan should have to go through that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad