Binghamton Devils

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
Are you posting those things like I don't already know them?

"#210":

NO I am not that type of poster as I try to keep my posts up beat and only post facts mostly here........

I avoid conflicts here no time for it @ my age........

Skeeze

Nov 25, 2016
The Devils was their only best option, the Ranger deal couldn't get done and the group in Binghamton were afraid to go dark one season. Its no big secret, the Albany area media already reported it.

Like mmazz22 said, going dark wasn't an option. There was a team that was wanting to come here beginning in the 2017-2018 season other than NJ, but the NJ deal was essentially compete already so it didn't go anywhere.

Last edited:

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
from what I have heard, the Devils tried to go to Bingo last season, they wanted out of Albany and fast. Bingo simply took the first team that came along. the Rags were interested but NJ already had their foot in the door. Rags just stayed in Hartford for one more season. they could be on the move after this coming season as it looks like the XL center is in for a major renovation.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
from what I have heard, the Devils tried to go to Bingo last season, they wanted out of Albany and fast. Bingo simply took the first team that came along. the Rags were interested but NJ already had their foot in the door. Rags just stayed in Hartford for one more season. they could be on the move after this coming season as it looks like the XL center is in for a major renovation.

Spectra controls XL Center and runs Hartford's business ops, guys.....fyi.....

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Hoping it won't be ridiculously simple & bland but have a feeling it will be.

It's the Devils, there isn't much that is marketable or really family friendly unfortunately. I do like the B-Devils concept logo that's circulating online but mascot or character wise there isn't much appeal. The lousy job they did in Lowell then Albany was a huge failure but hopefully Mitchell will have more say. Not many have love or affection for a Devil. I think the organization with it's past ties to the WBS Pens should make for good rivalry.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

I'm bet one of the first things the new ownership realized is how soon can they get out of that bad Albany deal.

The previous regime under Vanderbeek picked Albany for proximity only, a relatively short 2 hour drive from Newark.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
I'm bet one of the first things the new ownership realized is how soon can they get out of that bad Albany deal.

The previous regime under Vanderbeek picked Albany for proximity only, a relatively short 2 hour drive from Newark.

They actually had one of the best deals in the league.....

RowdyFan42

Apr 22, 2015
Albany(-ish)
They actually had one of the best deals in the league.....

I recently read they were losing millions per year keeping Albany afloat.

I'm not being sarcastic, but how was it a good deal aside from proximity?

Both statements can simultaneously be true. I don't know the exact numbers, but it was my understanding that the rent the Devils paid per game was among the lowest in the league. However, I don't think they got anything in concessions or parking revenue, and I really have no idea how the advertising revenue was handled. (One would assume that the Devils kept what they sold and the arena kept what it sold, but I'm just spitballing here.) So, even if it wasn't much, the Devils were paying to play in Albany. And that's not taking into account staff expenses and whatnot.

Compare this to the deal the Devils are getting in Binghamton, where they're being paid a few million dollars just to be there, plus the former B-Sens front office will be handling operations, so the Devils don't have to pay for that, either. As far as they're concerned, they're coming out ahead financially. All of the financial risk they assumed in Albany is being taken over by Tom Mitchell and his group in Binghamton.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Both statements can simultaneously be true. I don't know the exact numbers, but it was my understanding that the rent the Devils paid per game was among the lowest in the league. However, I don't think they got anything in concessions or parking revenue, and I really have no idea how the advertising revenue was handled. (One would assume that the Devils kept what they sold and the arena kept what it sold, but I'm just spitballing here.) So, even if it wasn't much, the Devils were paying to play in Albany. And that's not taking into account staff expenses and whatnot.

Compare this to the deal the Devils are getting in Binghamton, where they're being paid a few million dollars just to be there, plus the former B-Sens front office will be handling operations, so the Devils don't have to pay for that, either. As far as they're concerned, they're coming out ahead financially. All of the financial risk they assumed in Albany is being taken over by Tom Mitchell and his group in Binghamton.

This is the exact same model that Vancouver has in Utica. Rob Esche and his management team run all of the business side of the AHL team and pay Vancouver a fee to supply all of the players, coaches and training staff. I have no idea if the Comets pay Vancouver a set fee or a variable fee based on revenue thresholds but it does put the financial risk on the AHL partner rather than the NHL parent team. This model has worked very well in Utica which is likely why New Jersey and Tom Mitchell copied it. It is similar to the way that AHL independent owners operate except the NHL team owns the AHL franchise.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
This is the exact same model that Vancouver has in Utica. Rob Esche and his management team run all of the business side of the AHL team and pay Vancouver a fee to supply all of the players, coaches and training staff. I have no idea if the Comets pay Vancouver a set fee or a variable fee based on revenue thresholds but it does put the financial risk on the AHL partner rather than the NHL parent team. This model has worked very well in Utica which is likely why New Jersey and Tom Mitchell copied it. It is similar to the way that AHL independent owners operate except the NHL team owns the AHL franchise.

the question is under that model, does Utica pay the franchise fee or does Vancouver?

and it isn't that in your last sentence, there, Utica.... the NHL Team doesn't have the operational expense if it owns their affiliate instead of and out and out affiliation, it's 1 set fee.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014

The Devils in Albany to my understanding received no advertising revenue. The arena received advertising revenue such as on the boards, on ice, etc. The Devils didn't do group sales, or actively pursued sales so that was opportunity lost. Merchandise for get about it, the locals hated the A-devil logo, looked like an A with horns urinating. The Devils model in Albany was a model of failure from day one. Mitchell and company are locals, they will do right by the local Binghamton fans. The Devils organization will have nothing to say about marketing, advertising, etc and thank God for that. They don't fill their arena in Newark, the last thing fans need in Binghamton is the Newark front office meddling in local start times, promotions, marketing etc. Newark's only responsibility should be is players and coaching, that's It! The Devils organization didn't know the Albany market, nor did they care to market accordingly.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
The Devils in Albany to my understanding received no advertising revenue. The arena received advertising revenue such as on the boards, on ice, etc. The Devils didn't do group sales, or actively pursued sales so that was opportunity lost. Merchandise for get about it, the locals hated the A-devil logo, looked like an A with horns urinating. The Devils model in Albany was a model of failure from day one. Mitchell and company are locals, they will do right by the local Binghamton fans. The Devils organization will have nothing to say about marketing, advertising, etc and thank God for that. They don't fill their arena in Newark, the last thing fans need in Binghamton is the Newark front office meddling in local start times, promotions, marketing etc. Newark's only responsibility should be is players and coaching, that's It! The Devils organization didn't know the Albany market, nor did they care to market accordingly.

You say that the Devils didn't do group sales but a member of the Albany Devils ticket staffed joined a Comets fan group page and offered "Group Discounted" tickets to Comets fans for Comets games in Albany. (Megan Emery I believe was her name) They offered pre-sales discounts to playoff games at a per ticket cost lower than regular season prices. Because I bought tickets I was on the A-Devils email list and received more promotional emails from them than I do from the Comets. I am doubting you claims that the A-Devils did nothing to promote the team or sell to groups.

All I ever read on this page is that the Devils made no attempts to sell merchandise and that the locals hated the name and logo but I was surprised to see a good percentage of the crowd wearing Devils jerseys and shirts.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
You say that the Devils didn't do group sales but a member of the Albany Devils ticket staffed joined a Comets fan group page and offered "Group Discounted" tickets to Comets fans for Comets games in Albany. (Megan Emery I believe was her name) They offered pre-sales discounts to playoff games at a per ticket cost lower than regular season prices. Because I bought tickets I was on the A-Devils email list and received more promotional emails from them than I do from the Comets. I am doubting you claims that the A-Devils did nothing to promote the team or sell to groups.

All I ever read on this page is that the Devils made no attempts to sell merchandise and that the locals hated the name and logo but I was surprised to see a good percentage of the crowd wearing Devils jerseys and shirts.

Allow me to pile on...the Worcester Sharks Booster Club made many trips to Albany, and for each one they got group tickets.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013

Lol... An "A" with horns urinating... That's original content!!!!! Gotta give you points on that one!!!!

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

as compared to every Devil logo going back to 1988, huh, NS, here's a thought why not bring the Rangers franchise to Utica, not Albany, the U horn IS THE SAME logo isn't it go look it up:amazed:

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Allow me to pile on...the Worcester Sharks Booster Club made many trips to Albany, and for each one they got group tickets.

If you use http://web.archive.org/ you can actually see the group sales pages for the Albany Devils :laugh:

The "poor me" and "poor us" routine get's a little old after a while.

All I ever hear from the Albany faithful is why the attendance sucked. Bad teams - not always and even when the teams were bad, other teams were bad and still drew more people. The Devils were horrible NHL affiliation - not always horrible and it didn't improve attendance when they were gone. They didn't promote the team - yeah they did but you can only do so much with an apathetic fan base.

Binghampton ( :sarcasm: ) Devils I hope are successful. I just wonder what the Albany Whiners are going to do when the B Devils continually outdraw what Albany did even though Albany had a much larger stadium with potential to draw more people.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
All I ever hear from the Albany faithful is why the attendance sucked. Bad teams - not always and even when the teams were bad, other teams were bad and still drew more people. The Devils were horrible NHL affiliation - not always horrible and it didn't improve attendance when they were gone. They didn't promote the team - yeah they did but you can only do so much with an apathetic fan base.

Binghampton ( :sarcasm: ) Devils I hope are successful. I just wonder what the Albany Whiners are going to do when the B Devils continually outdraw what Albany did even though Albany had a much larger stadium with potential to draw more people.

What will Albany fans do? Probably nothing different, the Devils departure was met with a collective yawn. Fans of affiliated development hockey still have the Nearby ECHL Thunder, no team in Albany will help their attendance. Fans have the NCAA DI RPI Engineers and Union Dutchman college hockey all nearby. Sometime in January or February Albany will play host to the Mayor's Cup featuring Union and RIP in downtown Albany which usually draws 7000 to 10000.

The Devils in Binghamton will be welcomed only because that's their only option in the American league. They won't be selling out their arena night after night, they haven't done that barely ever, not even during the Rangers tenure lol. If Albany landed the Rangers farm club would be pretty interesting measure of Albany's support, the Devils were not the right fight for the market. Should also be interesting to see just what an impact a SUNY Binghamton hockey team might have on Binghamton's support. Already in Worcester people are saying the negative impact DI Holy Cross hockey will have on their ECHL which will share their arena possibly in near future.

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
What will Albany fans do? Probably nothing different, the Devils departure was met with a collective yawn. Fans of affiliated development hockey still have the Nearby ECHL Thunder, no team in Albany will help their attendance. Fans have the NCAA DI RPI Engineers and Union Dutchman college hockey all nearby. Sometime in January or February Albany will play host to the Mayor's Cup featuring Union and RIP in downtown Albany which usually draws 7000 to 10000.

The Devils in Binghamton will be welcomed only because that's their only option in the American league. They won't be selling out their arena night after night, they haven't done that barely ever, not even during the Rangers tenure lol. If Albany landed the Rangers farm club would be pretty interesting measure of Albany's support, the Devils were not the right fight for the market. Should also be interesting to see just what an impact a SUNY Binghamton hockey team might have on Binghamton's support. Already in Worcester people are saying the negative impact DI Holy Cross hockey will have on their ECHL which will share their arena possibly in near future.

excuse the new owner of Hartford Wolf*Pack, please what does Holy Cross have to do with Pro hockey, same foolish comment, about Union College being an AHL Franchise, too :amazed::help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad