Binghamton Devils

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Not to change subjects, but has anyone close to the Devils heard of the possibility that former Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds' defenceman Colton White being returned for his overage year with the Greyhounds this year? This rumour has been floating around Sault Ste.Marie in the recent past.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
In before this tangent gets deleted for being completely off-topic...

Where on earth are you getting the idea that the Devils' ownership are involved in the Albany AFL franchise? Yes, it has been reported that Newark may also get an AFL team and it makes sense that the Devils would be involved in that, but Albany's ownership group is a combination of locals and the Soul's owners. Nothing to do with the Devils. And since the AFL's season runs from April to August, it wouldn't interfere too badly with a hockey team. (With the exception of Baltimore, all the other AFL teams play in NHL or AHL arenas.)

A newsman out of WNYT 13 in Albany reported that a part of the ownership group involved Josh Harris owner of the Devils organization and Prudential Center. Rowdy as an Albany Boy you should be pretty excited. The AFL's return, the 20 million in arena renovations, and the talks of a plan to possibly court the NY Rangers farm team with the help of state and local politicians as a local you should feel real good about the city's chances. This is a strong ownership group group committed to building a strong AFL team and rebuilding the AFL, and has solid local ownership ties. They are starting off in right direction.

http://wnyt.com/news/times-union-center-new-video-screens-albany/4644233/ (Looking Good!)
http://wnyt.com/sports/arena-football-times-union-center-albany/4640540/

Last edited:

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014

You have to figure there is a small contingent of Devils die hards in the Albany area but making the two hour or more trek to Binghamton would be a stretch, especially in the winter months. I cant imagine that highway between Schenectady-Albany down to Binghamton would make for good travel during January and February. That's good to see though that fans from the Albany area making regular travels to attend games, paid admission is paid admission and then food sales and merchandise, all helps the bottom line. Also should be mentioned is the growing attendance up in Adirondack, that's just less then an hour from Albany. They have had a few nights of over 5000 fans up in Glens Falls, their barn holds 4800, not bad at all. I am surprised though the Albany beat writer for their AHL teams hasn't picked up covering the ECHL in Glens Falls.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
You have to figure there is a small contingent of Devils die hards in the Albany area but making the two hour or more trek to Binghamton would be a stretch, especially in the winter months. I cant imagine that highway between Schenectady-Albany down to Binghamton would make for good travel during January and February. That's good to see though that fans from the Albany area making regular travels to attend games, paid admission is paid admission and then food sales and merchandise, all helps the bottom line. Also should be mentioned is the growing attendance up in Adirondack, that's just less then an hour from Albany. They have had a few nights of over 5000 fans up in Glens Falls, their barn holds 4800, not bad at all. I am surprised though the Albany beat writer for their AHL teams hasn't picked up covering the ECHL in Glens Falls.
I-88 runs between Albany and Binghamton, so unless there is a heavy snowstorm at the time you are traveling it shouldn't be a bad drive. Two hours vs an hour to get to Glens Falls on I-87 isn't that big a difference. For fans like those quoted in the article, who have an attachment to the Devils team and the players, I'm sure they would rather drive a little further. Too bad they lost their team, but at least they have a few options close by, including Utica too.

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
I loved making the drive from Albany to Glens Falls. On a Friday after classes I could be there in less than an hour on I-87. Lots of good memories of the Flames/Phantoms and Rats/Devils. Had friends who lived up there, always had a blast. Too bad it's gone, but even worse if the ECHL gets run out of GF.

I do wish that the AHL squad would wear green, if the NHL Devils won't.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
I loved making the drive from Albany to Glens Falls. On a Friday after classes I could be there in less than an hour on I-87. Lots of good memories of the Flames/Phantoms and Rats/Devils. Had friends who lived up there, always had a blast. Too bad it's gone, but even worse if the ECHL gets run out of GF.

I do wish that the AHL squad would wear green, if the NHL Devils won't.

I think Adirondack is doing quite well attendance wise, especially among the three AHL to ECHL transplants. Adirondack's attendance is up again this year again so its weathering the adjustment period. You had to be believe the shock of having the AHL being replaced by the ECHL was going to be a hit initially. I am surprised Manchester isn't doing better in attendance, if Adirondack can warm to the ECHL then there is no excuse for Manchester. Adirondack is locally owned, they own and manage their arena, all the revenue is theirs. I have to think as long as attendance doesn't drop off significantly they are looking in pretty good shape. Adirondack should they affiliate with the Rangers, Boston, or maybe even Montreal could be a good thing. Adirondack has hosted some crowds of over 5000 already this season so they look to be in a good place. They said next season they are going to really try and push more marketing efforts into Albany next season. I heard they are even very pleased with their Syracuse/Tampa players more so then the Devils organization. Just goes to show Tampa/Syracuse is a good organization with plenty of depth, that's who Adirondack should stay loyal to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad