Binghamton Devils

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
excuse the new owner of Hartford Wolf*Pack, please what does Holy Cross have to do with Pro hockey, same foolish comment, about Union College being an AHL Franchise, too :amazed::help:

Its very relevant because NCAA D1 hockey in these areas like UConn, Holy Cross, Union, Yale, Quinnipiac, etc have emerged as major players in the landscape and have a direct impact on AHL and ECHL hockey. Yale and Quinnipiac have helped to make New Haven no longer viable as minor league market. Many agree Union's rise as major hockey player has negatively impacted Albany's and Glens Fall's AHL/ECHL support. The AHL departure departure from Manchester has caused little ripple, namely because of the regions college hockey.

The rise in past decade whereby college hockey alum makes up of 33% of NHL players today has diminished the AHL's sole role of development has given fans in these markets a great product, often much cheaper and affordable yet the hockey is competitive and good. The younger generation of smarter players, playing in a time where fighting is being eliminated and not just discouraged, a number of future skilled players are coming through the college hockey ranks, bypassing the major juniors and then not staying long in the AHL. This provides a challenge to sell the AHL game when the tickets are cheaper, fighting is disappearing anyway, and more skilled players are choosing the college route.

Disagree or not, this is a unique reality...Dont agree with me that's fine but it's pretty fact based. Holy Cross going hockey east and playing in the DCU Centrum may very well have a negative impact, just as UConn in XL Center will as well. New Haven didn't bother to even build a new arena downtown because they knew both Yale and Quinnipiac became the local hockey teams for the hockey fans. The change can even be felt in Rochester, where the RIT tigers in their new arena have no doubt grabbed some of the market share away from the Americans who only a decade ago averaged around 7000 fans a game, today no longer the case.

Last edited:

mmazz22

Jan 24, 2010
BU does not have a hockey team so it is irrelevant in this discussion at the moment.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Its very relevant because NCAA D1 hockey in these areas like UConn, Holy Cross, Union, Yale, Quinnipiac, etc have emerged as major players in the landscape and have a direct impact on AHL and ECHL hockey. Yale and Quinnipiac have helped to make New Haven no longer viable as minor league market. Many agree Union's rise as major hockey player has negatively impacted Albany's and Glens Fall's AHL/ECHL support. The AHL departure departure from Manchester has caused little ripple, namely because of the regions college hockey.

The rise in past decade whereby college hockey alum makes up of 33% of NHL players today has diminished the AHL's sole role of development has given fans in these markets a great product, often much cheaper and affordable yet the hockey is competitive and good. The younger generation of smarter players, playing in a time where fighting is being eliminated and not just discouraged, a number of future skilled players are coming through the college hockey ranks, bypassing the major juniors and then not staying long in the AHL. This provides a challenge to sell the AHL game when the tickets are cheaper, fighting is disappearing anyway, and more skilled players are choosing the college route.

Disagree or not, this is a unique reality...Dont agree with me that's fine but it's pretty fact based. Holy Cross going hockey east and playing in the DCU Centrum may very well have a negative impact, just as UConn in XL Center will as well. New Haven didn't bother to even build a new arena downtown because they knew both Yale and Quinnipiac became the local hockey teams for the hockey fans. The change can even be felt in Rochester, where the RIT tigers in their new arena have no doubt grabbed some of the market share away from the Americans who only a decade ago averaged around 7000 fans a game, today no longer the case.

again, NS... FALSE:

New Haven left due to an aging arena, nothing more..... and a better option with Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport filled that void.... Lowell has been discussed ad nauseum, but they OWN that arena, that's why that city left pro hockey.... Nothing u have said equates to anything but negativity toward pro hockey.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
again, NS... FALSE:

New Haven left due to an aging arena, nothing more..... and a better option with Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport filled that void.... Lowell has been discussed ad nauseum, but they OWN that arena, that's why that city left pro hockey.... Nothing u have said equates to anything but negativity toward pro hockey.

Sorry but your wrong, some of my friends who relocated south are former Elm City officials. They were lobbying for a new arena but the mayor was against their efforts, even admitted both Yale and Quinnipiac's programs and arenas have made semi pro hockey no longer viable. Lowell no team will work because In Umass will not sacrifice key game times and practice in a building they own. Same reason the River Rats franchise left Troy N.Y. (Islanders) and moved 15 minutes away to Albany. They could not make sharing an arena with RPI work. Facts ChurchCrunch Hutch!

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Sorry but your wrong, some of my friends who relocated south are former Elm City officials. They were lobbying for a new arena but the mayor was against their efforts, even admitted both Yale and Quinnipiac's programs and arenas have made semi pro hockey no longer viable. Lowell no team will work because In Umass will not sacrifice key game times and practice in a building they own. Same reason the River Rats franchise left Troy N.Y. (Islanders) and moved 15 minutes away to Albany. They could not make sharing an arena with RPI work. Facts ChurchCrunch Hutch!

false, nobody here believes one word you say.....

Lowell owns its arena, that's why pro hockey left there, NS, they wanted to be the prime tenant (where have we heard that before).

the RPI effort is a fat failure, on your end, too, NS, SO why are u posting about Collegiate hockey on a pro hockey forum, DO YOU NOT realize there's an NCAA forum on this very site:shakehead:amazed::help:

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
BU does not have a hockey team so it is irrelevant in this discussion at the moment.

Even if they did, it would have little to zero impact on the B-Devils. Binghamton University hockey would not be Boston College or Yale hockey. They wouldn't compete with the Devils because honestly I doubt anybody would even care.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013

I would guess each city is different to a degree. Here in Utica, it's the comets and a division 3 Utica college program. World's apart in the level of play, but both sellout the building.
Some fans go to comets games and not UC, some vice versa. Some hold seasons for both teams.

The UC crowd consists of a much younger college age crowd, cheap or free tickets for students, and is less knowledgeable as some student look at it as free ticket and something to do and be with friends.

Comets crowd tends to be older, still has a good mix of kids, but Is much more knowledgeable. And obviously is much more expensive to attend.

Last edited:

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
false, nobody here believes one word you say.....
Who appointed you spokesperson for the entire forum? I don't always agree with Nightsquad, but I wouldn't say I never believe anything he says. If I had to pick between him and you who is more often posting "fake news", I'm thinking it is you.

SO why are u posting about Collegiate hockey on a pro hockey forum, DO YOU NOT realize there's an NCAA forum on this very site:shakehead:amazed::help:
When discussing attendance issues in a particular city, looking at the other alternatives available for fans to watch hockey is certainly a relevant topic. If the team is question is the only hockey option they are likely to draw more fans. If there is another option close by, some fans will chose the other option. How many, what affect it has, why people choose one over the other are all debateable, but there is certainly some impact. If Nightsquad was trying to discuss which players are better, which team will win more games this year, between college teams that would be off topic. Mentioning that Albany has high level college hockey that draws some fans away from the AHL team in a discussion about their attendance isn't off topic IMO.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Who appointed you spokesperson for the entire forum? I don't always agree with Nightsquad, but I wouldn't say I never believe anything he says. If I had to pick between him and you who is more often posting "fake news", I'm thinking it is you.

When discussing attendance issues in a particular city, looking at the other alternatives available for fans to watch hockey is certainly a relevant topic. If the team is question is the only hockey option they are likely to draw more fans. If there is another option close by, some fans will chose the other option. How many, what affect it has, why people choose one over the other are all debateable, but there is certainly some impact. If Nightsquad was trying to discuss which players are better, which team will win more games this year, between college teams that would be off topic. Mentioning that Albany has high level college hockey that draws some fans away from the AHL team in a discussion about their attendance isn't off topic IMO.

because royals, it's been the same narrative from him regarding Albany and Hartford and frankly it's old.

What does Union College have to do with the AHL, IMHO, NOTHING, that's another old and tired narrative.....

besides, NS wants to think and believe his opinion is the only one that matters, royals.... so I no longer care about his rantings and you should know attendance is not the only factor.... as Worcester/Manchester and Portland fans can attune to, that was a business decision made by 2 NHL Teams to vacate 2 of the 3, and a financial one here where the franchise lost 450K, and the previous franchise in Springfield went the same way as Manchester and Worcester.

Last edited:

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
I thought there might have been a chance they'd use the horned B with a tail until they released that preview...that's when I knew it wasn't going to be a B. They cropped it like that on purpose. ;)

JungleJON

May 10, 2011

Why are the horns different? The first two logo's they look like bulls horns and then where the name is spelled out the horns are more upright.

Don't like the first two logos or the last one which I assume is just going to be a patch on the shoulders.

A jersey with the name is the only one I would think about buying.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Looks like a robot, the team should be called the Binghamton Devil Bots lol..... Not that I am a fan of going boring and plain using the U-Devil, L-Devil, and the A-Devil but the plump B-Devil concept logo looks better. The Devil Bot logo is funny looking.

RowdyFan42

Apr 22, 2015
Albany(-ish)
Well, the main logos are better than the concept horned B that was floating around, but not by much. The trident works well as a shoulder patch, but I wouldn't want it as a cap logo. (The B would've been decent in that capacity.) The trident might work as a crest on a white alternate jersey, not so sure about a red alternate. A black alternate could work, or it could be a disaster. I'm undecided as to whether they should've gone with the devil head/wordmark combo logo as their crest or if the devil head alone was the right choice.

(And it's too bad they couldn't have been this creative with designing the Albany Devils' assets. Frankly, I'm a bit jealous.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad