Binghamton Devils

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Agreed. Even the (future) Belleville Senators has to modify their twitter handle because @bellevillesens was taken. Instead they use @bellevillesen...which will likely cause confusion when people are searching and tagging. I see now the "Sens" version is suspended.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Wow, they turned down the Rangers!!!!!!!! That's not what they said in Binghamton but someone from the Devils said that in Albany. That's why the Rangers signed a one year extension in Hartford. They wanted to go to Binghamton. Fans have to trust Mitchell though, solid hockey guy and good community advocate. Devils are addressing the media up in Smallbany at around 2pm. With Islanders getting tossed from their arena, Hurricanes possibly on the move, it's going to get crazy!!! Actually I am sick of all the instability between the NHL and AHL, nuts..... The SPHL is simple, stable, and provides good entertainment...Not complicated, no silly seasons of craziness, just good old time minor league hockey...

Last edited:

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
Wow, they turned down the Rangers!!!!!!!! That's not what they said in Binghamton but someone from the Devils said that in Albany. That's why the Rangers signed a one year extension in Hartford. They wanted to go to Binghamton. Fans have to trust Mitchell though, solid hockey guy and good community advocate. Devils are addressing the media up in Smallbany at around 2pm. With Islanders getting tossed from their arena, Hurricanes possibly on the move, it's going to get crazy!!! Actually I am sick of all the instability between the NHL and AHL, nuts..... The SPHL is simple, stable, and provides good entertainment...Not complicated, no silly seasons of craziness, just good old time minor league hockey...

Hahaha if by "addressing the media" you mean sending a quick breakup text and turning their phone off, then yeah. Perfect way to cap this all off. Bravo Devils, you spineless jerks.

https://www.facebook.com/AlbanyDevils/

And lol at Mitchell mentioning there being "no losers" in this whole deal. I'm speechless. Better off without it.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Hahaha if by "addressing the media" you mean sending a quick breakup text and turning their phone off, then yeah. Perfect way to cap this all off. Bravo Devils, you spineless jerks.

And lol at Mitchell mentioning there being "no losers" in this whole deal. I'm speechless. Better off without it.

Last I checked they are not leaving Albany this season.

Teams have been known to just pack up and leave cities without any notice at all.

It all could have been avoided if the Albany community actually supported the team and not been last in attendance.

I'm sure it stings for diehards like you who attended games, but the blame is on those who chose to stay away from the rink, not on the fans that showed up.

Binghamton gets better fan support on a consistent basis plus the NJ Devils will let the Bingo people run the business operations.
NJD won't have to lose $1m+ per year keeping the Albany franchise afloat any longer when the community was clearly disinterested in AHL hockey.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014

If think he meant no loser because this clearly opens the door up in Albany. I think they could be a Ranger affiliate. Albany goes without for now but this gives them time to get their act together. Arena renovations, garner business support, season ticket drives (Devils were rumored to have only sold less then 1000 season tix), and other lose ends. Albany is a political town though, I am told nothing happens without the blessing of the politicians. Sadly for Albany its a town of progressive democratic politicians. If Trump was in charge Albany would have a team, and a good one lol.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Trenton, Lowell, and Albany have all had the same logo design as the New Jersey logo and I don't see that trend changing.

Yeah, you're right, and I love the NJD logo, but, I think that the Devils should let the Binghamton marketing folks design a new logo.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Any way you look at it the Devils name is not appealing, at least not to anyone outside of New Jersey. Even with new ownership and management their operational style and habbits just havent seemed to change. The Devils name was a turnoff for many, especially for religious reasons for some. Thankfully for Binghamton any fan complaints like pricing or issues can be addressed through Tom Mitchell. The Devils never should have dumped the Lock Monsters brand in Lowell, then likewise up in Albany. Lock Monsters and River Rats, both exceptional brands local fans had strong connections to.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Any way you look at it the Devils name is not appealing, at least not to anyone outside of New Jersey. Even with new ownership and management their operational style and habbits just havent seemed to change. The Devils name was a turnoff for many, especially for religious reasons for some. Thankfully for Binghamton any fan complaints like pricing or issues can be addressed through Tom Mitchell. The Devils never should have dumped the Lock Monsters brand in Lowell, then likewise up in Albany. Lock Monsters and River Rats, both exceptional brands local fans had strong connections to.

If they took the time to actually read up on the folklore story of the Jersey Devil in the Pine Barrens it would not have been a turnoff.

And again, you are trying to turn your personal opinions into fact.
The Devils have many fans outside of NJ.

There is no issue with the name, Devils.
However, I do agree that every minor league team should have their own unique team nickname that is connected to the area's history/tradition or folklore.

Just like the NJD did with the folklore of the Jersey Devil.

Last edited:

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
If they took the time to actually read up on the folklore story of the Jersey Devil in the Pine Barrens it would not have been a turnoff.

And again, you are trying to turn your personal opinions into fact.
The Devils have many fans outside of NJ.

There is no issue with the name, Devils.
However, I do agree that every minor league team should have their own unique team nickname that is connected to the area's history/tradition or folklore.

Just like the NJD did with the folklore of the Jersey Devil.

That's why I said outside of NJ. I know the folklore behind the name. Actually its pretty ironic that the Albany area of NY has a large "pine barrens" preserve which I just read lies in the city of Albany, surrounding suburbs of Colonie, and town called Guilderland. I just don't care for the name Devils outside of NJ. It is a geographical tied name to NJ folklore. I think the name "Dusters" would have been better for Binghamton. All one has to do is look at the perception of the teams with their local fans with teams having their local identity. Lowell Mass is a good hockey market, strong Hockey East town, very nice arena. When they were the Lock Monsters attendance wasn't the best but it was far better then when the Devils organization came to the city. Would fans in Utica have been as receptive to the Devils if they lost the Vancouver affiliation and the Devils came back and said we are not using the name Comets, and are going back to the old "U" Devil logo?? One advantage is I am sure there are many U-Devils sweaters floating around town. Kids will have to get used to the Devil Dog mascot instead of that funny thing with horns on it's head. Maybe Mitchell and Co. are coming up with a fresh design fror the B-Devils. Instead of using a Devil inspired "B" maybe they are coming up with a Devil face or something. I always thought the A-Devil looked like a Devil passing urine lol. No creativity whatsoever was afforded to Lowell or Albany.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
That's why I said outside of NJ. I know the folklore behind the name. Actually its pretty ironic that the Albany area of NY has a large "pine barrens" preserve which I just read lies in the city of Albany, surrounding suburbs of Colonie, and town called Guilderland. I just don't care for the name Devils outside of NJ. It is a geographical tied name to NJ folklore. I think the name "Dusters" would have been better for Binghamton. All one has to do is look at the perception of the teams with their local fans with teams having their local identity. Lowell Mass is a good hockey market, strong Hockey East town, very nice arena. When they were the Lock Monsters attendance wasn't the best but it was far better then when the Devils organization came to the city. Would fans in Utica have been as receptive to the Devils if they lost the Vancouver affiliation and the Devils came back and said we are not using the name Comets, and are going back to the old "U" Devil logo?? One advantage is I am sure there are many U-Devils sweaters floating around town. Kids will have to get used to the Devil Dog mascot instead of that funny thing with horns on it's head. Maybe Mitchell and Co. are coming up with a fresh design fror the B-Devils. Instead of using a Devil inspired "B" maybe they are coming up with a Devil face or something. I always thought the A-Devil looked like a Devil passing urine lol. No creativity whatsoever was afforded to Lowell or Albany.

how many local owners have the finances to accomplish that, though, Lowell decided college hockey is better, at the expense of a pro club, again, stick to the topic, Nightsquad, the era has changed as the league adapts, so do those cities

if Utica hadn't had the Devils, Nightsquad, answer this, where would Calgary have gotten its franchise from?

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
how many local owners have the finances to accomplish that, though, Lowell decided college hockey is better, at the expense of a pro club, again, stick to the topic, Nightsquad, the era has changed as the league adapts, so do those cities

if Utica hadn't had the Devils, Nightsquad, answer this, where would Calgary have gotten its franchise from?

What are you talking about? Local owners, Lowell deciding college hockey (Devils left and then college bought Tsongas, pretty simple), and Calgary has nothing to do with topic. You stay on point lol, we are talking about logos, local identity, nothing more nothing less. What era has changed? The towns with a brand identity other then that of their parent teams are in better shape, that's the real fact. Hershey, Cleveland, Chicago, Ontario, Moose, The Gulls, the Comets, the Amerks, the Phantoms. You post on here to disagree with everyone, like CNN you manufacture nonsense!

mmazz22

Jan 24, 2010
haahahhah night your last sentence the best.
I wish we had local identity. Going into our 36 th year of AHL hockey and only 3 years we had our own name. (Dusters)
Its funny reading old articles from a collection I recently bought, when Hartford bought the franchise in 1980 the fans wanted the Duster name retired and clamored for the name to be Whalers , named after the parent club. Now fast forward years later and the fans want own identity ,preferably Dusters.
I do know that Mitchell has always preferred to keep the parent team name, but I do feel this time he was ready to do our own name and was blocked. I get the feeling the Devils really want synergy and true working together between the two franchises. Apparently their front office has been helping the Sens current staff. Now our season tickets are now called season memberships. ha

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
haahahhah night your last sentence the best.
I wish we had local identity. Going into our 36 th year of AHL hockey and only 3 years we had our own name. (Dusters)
Its funny reading old articles from a collection I recently bought, when Hartford bought the franchise in 1980 the fans wanted the Duster name retired and clamored for the name to be Whalers , named after the parent club. Now fast forward years later and the fans want own identity ,preferably Dusters.
I do know that Mitchell has always preferred to keep the parent team name, but I do feel this time he was ready to do our own name and was blocked. I get the feeling the Devils really want synergy and true working together between the two franchises. Apparently their front office has been helping the Sens current staff. Now our season tickets are now called season memberships. ha

Lol I believe that needed to be said. I think Binghamton is in a better position then Albany because having a guy like Mitchell is huge. Albany doesn't have anyone left who were true local loyal hockey people. Having local hockey people who are experienced, and know the community is key for the smaller cities survival. From what the Albany area newspaper is reporting, and by what the contingent of loyal fans in Albany have been saying is it appears the Devils put nothing into advertising in Albany or reached out to increase any kind of sales. It looks as though the Devils signed the contract in Albany with intentions of getting out before it even started. No advertising, promotion schedules were lackluster (barely any giveaways). It will be much better for the B-Devils fans, local management will help.

http://blog.timesunion.com/hockey/what-you-may-not-have-known-about-the-albany-devils-move/22112/

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
mark my words, there will come a day when Tom Mitchell will NOT be running a pro hockey franchise, it's happened before in Binghamton and what happens if the Devils bolt for another city after 5 years

other local owners have either been forced to sell or moved with the franchise to other cities

Skeeze

Nov 25, 2016
mark my words, there will come a day when Tom Mitchell will NOT be running a pro hockey franchise, it's happened before in Binghamton and what happens if the Devils bolt for another city after 5 years

other local owners have either been forced to sell or moved with the franchise to other cities

I really shouldn't do this, but...

What exactly is your point here? I really don't believe anyone thinks Tom Mitchell is some sort of immortal cyborg. Of course one day he will decide to retire and not run a hockey franchise anymore, that's common sense.

And when that happens, Binghamton hockey fans will thank him for what he has done for our city and its teams, and hope we continue to have AHL hockey here for a long time.

If the Devils bolt for another city in 5 years, at least we got 5 more years of AHL hockey.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I really shouldn't do this, but...

What exactly is your point here? I really don't believe anyone thinks Tom Mitchell is some sort of immortal cyborg. Of course one day he will decide to retire and not run a hockey franchise anymore, that's common sense.

And when that happens, Binghamton hockey fans will thank him for what he has done for our city and its teams, and hope we continue to have AHL hockey here for a long time.

If the Devils bolt for another city in 5 years, at least we got 5 more years of AHL hockey.

I'm glad they do, but just keep that history in mind prior to 2002, and if it wasn't for Ottawa, where would you folks be, and remember what it was like watching the league without you, based off their history of operation, I pray the cooperation between the two just doesn't become strained...

I wish we had that type of owner and maybe we'd still have a franchise in this league, that's all.... I liked what he said about Ottawa assisting in this, that's the way it should work, a mutual agreement and this transition, at least u get to say goodbye this season to Ottawa and thank them for being your partner for 15 years, unlike here, where we've lost both our teams before the season even began.

mmazz22

Jan 24, 2010
Well said Skeeze.
Yep Night , no Mitchell no AHL.
He is very instrumental in keeping it here.
He is well respected in hockey.
He is composed and doesn't burn bridges like that loose cannon in Syracuse. Haha
I love Dolgan too but that's another thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad