OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Choppin' Broccoli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Is there any scientific explanation for how I can feel so great after a 5k run, but my lazy ass never actually wants to get off the coach and do one? Conversely I know I will feel like garbage after eating something greasy like KFC or McDonald's, but out of nowhere I can crave that trash.

Reactions: That1Kid

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Is there any scientific explanation for how I can feel so great after a 5k run, but my lazy ass never actually wants to get off the coach and do one? Conversely I know I will feel like garbage after eating something greasy like KFC or McDonald's, but out of nowhere I can crave that trash.
This is so similar to how I feel fine if I get 5-6 hours of sleep, but if I get 7-8 I feel sluggish and tired all day. I'd love to know if there's any reason for these phenomena because I definitely experience that too.

Kind of related- I'm really considering going all-in on being super healthy. I'm talking waking up before work to go for a run, low carb diet with lots of healthy foods (mainly meats and veggies). I'd like to lose some pounds and inches off my waistline. Apparently my friends can crush beer/McD's/KFC/Sheetz and not gain a pound. I'm not so lucky. Been throwing around the idea of getting a fat burning pill to go along with my protein. I don't usually even like taking Clairtin for allergies but if it's highly rated I might give it a go. Kinda excited about the possibilities.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This is so similar to how I feel fine if I get 5-6 hours of sleep, but if I get 7-8 I feel sluggish and tired all day. I'd love to know if there's any reason for these phenomena because I definitely experience that too.

Kind of related- I'm really considering going all-in on being super healthy. I'm talking waking up before work to go for a run, low carb diet with lots of healthy foods (mainly meats and veggies). I'd like to lose some pounds and inches off my waistline. Apparently my friends can crush beer/McD's/KFC/Sheetz and not gain a pound. I'm not so lucky. Been throwing around the idea of getting a fat burning pill to go along with my protein. I don't usually even like taking Clairtin for allergies but if it's highly rated I might give it a go. Kinda excited about the possibilities.

I can't, I just can't put crap like that into my body. I spend like 1.5hrs at the gym when I go, I seriously enjoy the punishment I put on my body by lifting weights and just pushing myself each time to do more, be stronger.

Sometimes, I enjoy working out more than sex.

Sometimes.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I can't, I just can't put crap like that into my body. I spend like 1.5hrs at the gym when I go, I seriously enjoy the punishment I put on my body by lifting weights and just pushing myself each time to do more, be stronger.

Sometimes, I enjoy working out more than sex.

Sometimes.
The food or the pills? Because either way I agree :laugh:. I don't "enjoy" eating that crap but a lot of times it's convenient and cheap. Especially since I've been pretty damn busy the past few months.

I usually lift for about an hour, maybe more. I need to start doing cardio too though.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I absolutely love eating like a turd. Luckily I'm finally learning to cook good healthy meals that I also enjoy. But people keep telling me I probably don't even miss eating junk. Wrong. I just left the gym and all I want is to go destroy a greasy burger and fries. I won't though. And every time I do break, I break for a few days.

But the gym is going well. A year ago I couldn't run a solid mile without some walking. 6 months ago I couldn't do a 10 min mile. I just did a 26 min 5k.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The food or the pills? Because either way I agree :laugh:. I don't "enjoy" eating that crap but a lot of times it's convenient and cheap. Especially since I've been pretty damn busy the past few months.

I usually lift for about an hour, maybe more. I need to start doing cardio too though.

Well for one, I am celiac, so that like cuts my fast food options to 0, thankfully. I enjoy cooking so it just lets me do that more and I love it. But the healthy life is something I actually enjoy.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I absolutely love eating like a turd. Luckily I'm finally learning to cook good healthy meals that I also enjoy. But people keep telling me I probably don't even miss eating junk. Wrong. I just left the gym and all I want is to go destroy a greasy burger and fries. I won't though. And every time I do break, I break for a few days.

But the gym is going well. A year ago I couldn't run a solid mile without some walking. 6 months ago I couldn't do a 10 min mile. I just did a 26 min 5k.
Congrats on the progress. I'm back under 30 mins today. If I can stay healthy I want to get back below 20 by the end of the year.

I need to step up my cooking game. I really only learned the basics of kitchen cooking. I can bake and barbecue like a champ, but as a rule baking is never healthy and condo life makes barbecuing a no go.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Congrats on the progress. I'm back under 30 mins today. If I can stay healthy I want to get back below 20 by the end of the year.

I need to step up my cooking game. I really only learned the basics of kitchen cooking. I can bake and barbecue like a champ, but as a rule baking is never healthy and condo life makes barbecuing a no go.
Thanks. Cooking really is the key. Just find some simple recipes then expand from there.

Sadly, I'm kind of stuck at 225 for like 3 weeks now. Ive been good during the week but every weekend for the last month I've had some sort of drinking event with friends. And when I drink I snack. But despite that, it's probably been the best month in the gym since I started in terms of progress.

My goal is 215 by June and 200 by end of summer.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Thanks. Cooking really is the key. Just find some simple recipes then expand from there.

Sadly, I'm kind of stuck at 225 for like 3 weeks now. Ive been good during the week but every weekend for the last month I've had some sort of drinking event with friends. And when I drink I snack. But despite that, it's probably been the best month in the gym since I started in terms of progress.

My goal is 215 by June and 200 by end of summer.

I'm ~200 looking to get to 175ish at 1 lb a week. I was having trouble with booze too. I just told all my friends and colleagues I gave it up for Lent. I'm barely even Catholic, but people don't give me any shit for it.

I know if I said I was trying to be healthy I would get way more push back. People legit take offense that you don't want to drink or eat with them. It must be caveman tribal stuff. It takes literal devine intervention to shut some of them up.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm ~200 looking to get to 175ish at 1 lb a week. I was having trouble with booze too. I just told all my friends and colleagues I gave it up for Lent. I'm barely even Catholic, but people don't give me any **** for it.

I know if I said I was trying to be healthy I would get way more push back. People legit take offense that you don't want to drink or eat with them. It must be caveman tribal stuff. It takes literal devine intervention to shut some of them up.
I don't have any real issues from my friends about it actually, I just like to drink :laugh: typically I only do it like 3 or 4 times a year, this has just been a random stretch of things going on.

I have no idea what my actual end goal weight should be. I haven't been below 200 since high school.

Reactions: Sideline

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think I've mentioned this before, but losing weight is frustrating for me because I lose weight in chunks. I was frustrated because I had been hovering around 217 or 218 for a while, then all of a sudden, boom I'm a shade below 213 tonight. It's good to get results, but it's just annoying that it seemingly all happens at once. What made it even more weird was that it was after a weekend where I didn't go to the gym and was generally a piece of **** :laugh:

It seems to happen a bunch, where I decide I need to start being ridiculous (like eating 1500 calories a day and working out for an hour) because I'm not getting result, only to get results the next day.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If you're trying to lose weight, you shouldn't get too hung up on numbers over shorter periods of time. You can easily have a 5 pound swing over the course of a few days based on things like water or salt intake, sweating, etc.

This is definitely true, but speaking generally for me, I tend to stay down whenever that big drop off occurs. I'll probably hover in the 213-215 range now, when I was in the 215-217 range last week.

I always mean to not check my weight that super often, but it's so hard to not do it when I'm working out. And on the flip side, when I'm not working out, I don't even want to see a scale.

Edit: my friend made a good point to me today, I tend to not look much different over a decently sizable weight range. I'm lucky where I don't get the beer gut that other people get. People always underestimate my weight because I never look to be as heavy as I am. I like to think I'm just dense :laugh:

Last edited:

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
This is definitely true, but speaking generally for me, I tend to stay down whenever that big drop off occurs. I'll probably hover in the 213-215 range now, when I was in the 215-217 range last week.

I always mean to not check my weight that super often, but it's so hard to not do it when I'm working out. And on the flip side, when I'm not working out, I don't even want to see a scale.

Yeah, I understand the urge to keep tabs on something like that. A girl I was dating got really into fitness and was obsessed with the scale in the beginning. When she started seeing visible changes, she calmed down a bit, especially since muscle weighs more than fat. By the time she was satisfied, she had gained 15 pounds but in terms of appearance, it was night and day. I think as long as you're seeing changes in your body that you like, you're on the right track no matter what the scale says.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, I understand the urge to keep tabs on something like that. A girl I was dating got really into fitness and was obsessed with the scale in the beginning. When she started seeing visible changes, she calmed down a bit, especially since muscle weighs more than fat. By the time she was satisfied, she had gained 15 pounds but in terms of appearance, it was night and day. I think as long as you're seeing changes in your body that you like, you're on the right track no matter what the scale says.

I actually just edited that into my original post, I'm approaching the point where I'm not going to see much of a change for a decently large weight change. Or at least according to other people, I won't be changing much.

I look sickly at 165 lbs (that is the way people described me when I went from 190 to 165 over freshman year summer), about the same from like 185 to 215 lbs and fat over 230 lbs. Not sure exacly how this works.

Well, I know how it works, it's because I have **** workout tactics and my legs are like tree trunks from a decade of hockey and all of the cardio I do :laugh:

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
I don't even own a scale, never have. Don't get too hung up on bodyweight. You could be losing fat and building muscle at the same time. Just go by how you feel/look.

My nutrition has been going great after my 2+ years of not paying attention to it. I have never eaten healthier than I am right now and I feel great. High protein, healthy carbs and plenty of veggies is working for me. No processed sugars. I used to have a big sweet tooth but since cutting the sugars, I don't crave it anymore. To the point where I have a birthday coming up and I told my wife I didn't want her to get my my favourite ice cream cake. I used to binge myself on ice cream, now I don't even feel like having it. I'll save that "treat meal" for the summer when it's hot and I might feel like it then.

The main reason I have been able to keep it up so far (because we all get lazy) is I've been cooking everything in bulk and meal prepping. After dinner last night, my wife and I cooked up a big package of chicken breasts with onions and red peppers that is absolutely delicious and healthy, now we have several meals all ready to go. I'll do that with my carbs too. That way when I make my lunch or eat dinner after working all day then working out I can just grab a plate, throw some food on it and pop it in the microwave, add in a salad and I'm good to go, no excuse for not having a healthy dinner because it's right there already cooked.

I've lost my gut and got my abs are showing again and I have much more definition in my body all around. I still want my body fat % to get lower (I'm looking to get around 10% or maybe a bit less) and continue adding lean bulk.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
And I have been neglecting the gym due to my hours worked. Going back in a few hours for a session of cardio, bit of weight work then hydro massage.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Clothes are the way to assess your progress. As said above, weight can fluctuate over a few days, even hours.

That's why I needed to lose weight and can't lose that much weight. I want my clothes to fit, not for them to end up too big and make me go get new clothes :laugh:

I only have an arbitrary goal of consistently staying below 210 by the time I graduate, which is mostly to push me to continue going. I graduate in a little over a month, so that's a doable goal.

Ew, I graduate in a month. I'm going to be a college graduate in 5 weeks from now. Yuck.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't do the weight thing. If I still fit in my pants, cool, if they feel tight, that's an extra 20mins at the gym for cardio.

Amen brother. Amen. Especially if you add lifting to your weekly regimen. You will gain weight.

And a lot of is simple. If you spend a night out drinking and eating wings, don't even bother checking the weight. You already know the mistake. Fix it. :laugh: Have one beer and a few wings, not 5 and 2 dozen.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
I couldn't believe that video of Colby Armstrong way back when he played for WBS and he said he couldn't put on weight so his doctor told him to eat McDonalds to get his calories up. What terrible advise! Telling an athlete to eat a bunch of crap and thinking that's going to add lean mass? No wonder why Colby was "skinny fat".

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
This is now a topic close to my heart. The good news is that I am newly committed to changing my diet for the better and dropping some pounds. The bad news is that I have to because I've been diagnosed with GERD and heartburn has been keeping me up all night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad