OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Choppin' Broccoli

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
So I was in Seattle for work, just when I thought the drivers in BC were bad, good lord.

Just, holy ****.

I have a friend who lives close to Portland and she as a few friends in Seattle. She says she absolutely hates driving there visiting them for that reason.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I have a friend who lives close to Portland and she as a few friends in Seattle. She says she absolutely hates driving there visiting them for that reason.

It's not even comically bad like it is here, it's obnoxiously bad and why does Seattle now smell like cigarette smoke literally every corner. When did that become normal now? I lived there a few years back for like 6 months, but in Bellevue so not Seattle, but I did go into Seattle like 2-3x a week back then. Even Pike Place is just horse shit now.

Reactions: TNT87

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I've been seeing a ton of female teachers getting it on with young male students in the news lately which is ridiculous to even see teachers do that sort of crap, why is it that they're called like non threatening almost comical things by the media but the men that do it are predators and sick? Why aren't both just sick twisted predators?

Better yet, why aren't either sexes of teachers that do that crap behind bars and registered as sex offenders for the rest of their lives?

Anyways, I have a deep new hate for Marvel and how they like to make "fun comic book movies" and because they made a ton of money, that means all comic book movies have to be funny now. I love DC and I love Marvel. DC has its clowns, but its mostly serious dark shit. JL failed because they didn't let Snyder do his work, he had a vision, they should have let him complete it. JL was infinitely worse when Whedon tried to "Marvel-ize" it and that's just f***ing stupid.

I bet now, f***ing morons will be like "Omg, Lobo? He's just a rip off of Deadpool" without knowing who influenced whom.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
To rant a little more....

Nolan's Batman movies did insanely well because it stuck to what Batman was in the comics, more less, the DNA stayed the same, the dark side of it. It wasn't turned into some joke, as a matter of fact, they tried that in the past with Clooney and Kilmer and almost destroyed that franchise for good. Keaton had a good balance of some snark/campy-ness/and broodiness all blended at the right balance with some amazing supporting cast members. But the Bale/Nolan movies were fantastic because they were more rooted in some realism with what he did and it was more serious. Batman is serious. Superman is for the most part, serious, but a dorky boyscout serious, Wonder Woman is serious in the "I can and will beat you men if you annoy me" kind of way with some sass.

To try to be more like Marvel because it makes money is horse shit.

f*** the people at WB that forced that.
Aquaman being funny is fine, but I bet Wan's movie won't be, it'll have some fun humor stuff, but it won't be jokes like Marvel movies and that's good.

GOTG1+2, Ragnarok, Deadpool (Fox/Marvel), all funny and great stuff, but that's been their source material. Thor has been serious and funny and sometimes both at once.

JL? It's always been more serious, a "let's save the people, the people are who we want to save!" and then some funny interactions that are more "oh he was being sarcastic? damn it."

You'd think WB would learn from the Schumacher crap, but nope, they didn't. Let Marvel do what works for them and man does it work insanely well for them because it works for the characters they've created that way.

DC can't do that, their characters were never like that, to suddenly change that is like making Tony Stark as dumb as Hulk (when Banner is Hulk I mean).

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Getting back in to rec sports is the best thing I've done in a while.

Rec sports leagues are great. :laugh: I'm too old to make a push for the Pan-Ams or Arnolds or high level WJF tournaments (wish I started 15 years earlier, I'd have been great :laugh:), but I love my judo club because it's great physical exercise, and it's a chance to meet new people/make new connections. Plus learning new ways of throwing people through walls is its own reward, and tournaments are fun as hell.

And to second @BlindWillyMcHurt 's post about kids, man, nothing's better than being an aunt or an uncle. It's all the fun of having kids with none of the responsibilities.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Anyways, I have a deep new hate for Marvel and how they like to make "fun comic book movies" and because they made a ton of money, that means all comic book movies have to be funny now. I love DC and I love Marvel. DC has its clowns, but its mostly serious dark ****. JL failed because they didn't let Snyder do his work, he had a vision, they should have let him complete it. JL was infinitely worse when Whedon tried to "Marvel-ize" it and that's just ****ing stupid.

Not sure you can actually blame Marvel because DC can't make good movies post-Nolan. Though I do agree with the rest. WB/DC trying to make their movies more like Marvel was a mistake. As you said, they should have looked to Nolan's and Burton's Batman movies for inspiration, not to Marvel. Their problem was never that the Snyder movies were too serious, it's that they weren't very good movies. Man of Steel was solid, but then each movie since has pretty much gotten worse. Aside from maybe Wonder Woman, which is certainly better than BvS and Suicide Squad. But even that had a garbage final act.

DC should spend a few years really focusing on their animation side of things. I would LOVE if they went all-in with theater quality animated movies though. Or maybe go for a high end TV series. Regardless of the media, putting real resources in to the animation side would be their best move imo.

I'd actually say Marvel's TV side handles the serious tone better than either DC or Marvel has in the movies outside of Nolan and Winter Soldier. Luke Cage and Iron Fist certainly weren't very good, but Daredevil (S1 and the first chunk of S2), Jessica Jones, Legion, and Punisher are all great. I just can't get in to the DC series.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Rec sports leagues are great. :laugh: I'm too old to make a push for the Pan-Ams or Arnolds or high level WJF tournaments (wish I started 15 years earlier, I'd have been great :laugh:), but I love my judo club because it's great physical exercise, and it's a chance to meet new people/make new connections. Plus learning new ways of throwing people through walls is its own reward, and tournaments are fun as hell.

Sadly, Ultimate doesn't let me throw people through any walls :cry: But the rest I agree with :laugh:

And to second @BlindWillyMcHurt 's post about kids, man, nothing's better than being an aunt or an uncle. It's all the fun of having kids with none of the responsibilities.

Yeah I'm an uncle and it's great. Hey let's play with these toys. Oh, you just puked? Brother, come deal with this. Oh, they're starting to get really cranky. I think it's time I go home.

I remember when the US version came out, it was panned in the UK. American humour is only for them I guess.
The first season of the US version is a carbon copy of the UK version, and the UK version is clearly better at it. Season 2 is when US Office realized what it was, and it took off from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad