OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Choppin' Broccoli

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Well, it was. Bring a shovel.

Yeah, like much of Vienna, Dresden was LEVELED during the war. The firebombing alone was horrific. Whatever pretty parts you see now are amazing reproductions done in the years postwar.

That said, I really like the students' quarter in New Town across the river. Lots of great bars and cool cafes. Let me know what you're looking for and I can give you some more concrete recs.

Also, if you want a really weird but very Saxon-German afternoon, go to the German Hygiene Museum. It's WILD. In a very bizarre, but good way. Also Molkerei Pfund for some delicious milk. (It's seriously delicious.)

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
What a cruel joke my television played on me today. I come home from work, decide to watch some tv and relax, see that the Godfather II is on, decide to watch it, get a few minutes in, realize something is off, check the channel guide again, see the Godfather II, read the description, watch another minute, boom, Vatican scene, it's the mother****ing Godfather III, everything is a lie.

HAhahaha the worst scene from a bad movie, to boot.

Reactions: Brandinho

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
My favorite football team is getting relegated this season, being a fan can hurt so much:cry::cry::cry:

Makes me appreciate the success of my favorite hockey team even more though:laugh:

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
My favorite football team is getting relegated this season, being a fan can hurt so much:cry::cry::cry:

Makes me appreciate the success of my favorite hockey team even more though:laugh:

Köln? I feel bad for you lot, I'd be furious if my club sold its best player and then squandered the transfer fee on such poor talent. What were they thinking replacing Modeste with Cordoba? Money laundering?

Reactions: Daeni10

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
Köln? I feel bad for you lot, I'd be furious if my club sold its best player and then squandered the transfer fee on such poor talent. What were they thinking replacing Modeste with Cordoba? Money laundering?

Yes Köln, Cordoba was obviously awful and I really have no idea what they were thinking when they made that deal. Was so obvious that he wouldn't be able to replace Modeste. Not that anyone would have expected to get a striker that scores 20+ goals again, but Cordoba just isn't a goal scorer. Maybe he is fine playing around someone who scores but he has been terrible for us. And we are no Premier League club so 17 Million € is so so much money for us.

Getting relegated is still so unnecessary and dumb though. Sure we had a lot of injuries in the first half of the season and we also had some tough luck with video reviews, but this team on paper is so much better than where they are at the moment. Last week we played a great game and then we beat ourselves through dumb mistakes and keep gifting goals to the opposition. It's so incredible frustrating to watch. I grew up watching them getting relegated and promoted and relegated again and then they finally had something going for them and gifted me one of the best moments of my life (winning that last game against Mainz and running on the field after qualifying for euro league, making that trip to London) and now everything is destroyed within one season.

So so frustrating, tears where shed

EDIT: Oh and regarding Modeste, there are 2 sides to the story. One was that he wanted to actually go to China because of how much money they make so that the club had to let him go (thats what management said) but Modeste keeps insisting that he would have prefered to stay on the club (even as lately as 2 weeks ago) so you can chose your side. Obviously thought the management was right at the beginning but since the player keeps on going about it and his family still lives in Cologne I don't really see a reason why he would do that unless it's important to him so yeah, I have no idea

Last edited:

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Yes Köln, Cordoba was obviously awful and I really have no idea what they were thinking when they made that deal. Was so obvious that he wouldn't be able to replace Modeste. Not that anyone would have expected to get a striker that scores 20+ goals again, but Cordoba just isn't a goal scorer. Maybe he is fine playing around someone who scores but he has been terrible for us. And we are no Premier League club so 17 Million € is so so much money for us.

Getting relegated is still so unnecessary and dumb though. Sure we had a lot of injuries in the first half of the season and we also had some tough luck with video reviews, but this team on paper is so much better than where they are at the moment. Last week we played a great game and then we beat ourselves through dumb mistakes and keep gifting goals to the opposition. It's so incredible frustrating to watch. I grew up watching them getting relegated and promoted and relegated again and then they finally had something going for them and gifted me one of the best moments of my life (winning that last game against Mainz and running on the field after qualifying for euro league, making that trip to London) and now everything is destroyed within one season.

So so frustrating, tears where shed

My condolences. Even beyond Cordoba, which was just a bad deal for all of the reasons that you listed, I think the transfer strategy was a bit strange. Seems like every non-free transfer was one for the future and the present was neglected. Hopefully those guys can find their footing in 2.Bundesliga and you guys can come right back up.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
My condolences. Even beyond Cordoba, which was just a bad deal for all of the reasons that you listed, I think the transfer strategy was a bit strange. Seems like every non-free transfer was one for the future and the present was neglected. Hopefully those guys can find their footing in 2.Bundesliga and you guys can come right back up.

Mere was a good pickup, he is our best defender at the moment. Jannis Horn was picked up because they planned to play Hector as a defensive midfielder (why????????) but yeah I agree with you, defense wasn't really what we needed. Was one of our strong points over the past few years (and now we have the worst defense with exactly the same players :D ) and we really did nothing to fill our needs

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Mere was a good pickup, he is our best defender at the moment. Jannis Horn was picked up because they planned to play Hector as a defensive midfielder (why????????) but yeah I agree with you, defense wasn't really what we needed. Was one of our strong points over the past few years (and now we have the worst defense with exactly the same players :D ) and we really did nothing to fill our needs

Hector as a DM doesn't make sense at all. My club were looking at him in the summer as a wingback and he's always impressed me for the national team, no clue why anybody would want to mess around with his position.

Your edit above re: Modeste is interesting. I don't think the decision to sell him is necessarily the wrong one, provided there was a sensible plan to replace his production. Clearly, the Colombian Heskey and Grandpa Pizarro (I love the guy, but you can only go back to the well so many times) were not a sensible plan. Aside from Hector, are there any core players you're in danger of losing?

Last edited:

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
Hector as a DM doesn't make sense at all. My club were looking at him in the summer as a wingback and he's always impressed me for the national team, no clue why anybody would want to mess around with his position.

Your edit above re: Modeste is interesting. I don't think the decision to sell him is necessarily the wrong one, provided there was a sensible plan to replace his production. Clearly, the Colombian Heskey and Grandpa Pizarro (I love the guy, but you can only go back to the well so many times) were not a sensible plan. Aside from Hector, are there are core players you're in danger of losing?

Whats your favorite club? I don't know why they were so in love with the idea of putting Hector on DM. He wasn't bad there but left backs are so hard to get and you have such a good player there why would you ever mess with that.
Well its hard to say when you get relegated. Koziello and Terodde (dude scored 25 goals in each of the past seasons in 2nd Bundesliga) will stay or they wouldn't have bought them in January. I think Timo Horn will be gone for sure too as he is one of the best german goaltenders and still young. There already was lots of interest already but he is born and raised in Cologne so he wouldn't leave unless it was a really really big club (Leicester wanted him after they won the PL, I think Liverpool wanted him as well, Dortmund is rumored to be interested for years now), but I don't think there is any chance he would stay. Then there are a lot of other guys that were born and raised in Cologne: Höger, Risse, Öczan, Clemens and so on will most likely stay I think due to the fact they are hometown guys. Then you have players like Bittencourt, Heintz and so on who could certainly find a club in Bundesliga and will draw lots of interest. So I think we will lose some of our core but we still gonna have a really good team next year and should be able to get right back into Bundesliga.
I have to say though that the core of the team is together for quite a long time, some of them even got promoted into Bundesliga with the club (Hector and Horn for example) and almost all of them play there since their first year back in Bundesliga. They really, really are a great team on and off the field and it really is something special compared to many many other clubs. Bittencourt said in an interview that instead of already speaking about where they would play next season if getting relegated they spoke about if they would stay in Cologne even if they get relegated. Our manager also said something along the lines of: I'm sure there are some core players that would stay if they get relegated that people wouldn't think of. It really is a special, special team. So many hometown guys, so many young players that grew with the club over the past 4 years. Sucks to see that break up :(

Yeah absolutely, 34 Millions is a lot of money and I doubt he would have hit 25 goals again, but as you said you need to have good transfers to compensate for this loss and while I love Mere (hope he stays but doubt it, too much talent to play in 2nd Bundesliga) we didn't do that. Was a great opportunity and we just blew it. Obviously we had so much bad luck this season and if 13 starting or squad players are injured its impossible to compensate for that, but we are paying the ultimate price for that now. Just one of the dumbest and most unnecessary relegations in Bundesliga history.

EDIT: Also sorry for bad english, hope you can understand the points I am trying to make and its not to hard to read :D

Last edited:

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Whats your favorite club? I don't know why they were so in love with the idea of putting Hector on DM. He wasn't bad there but left backs are so hard to get and you have such a good player there why would you ever mess with that.
Well its hard to say when you get relegated. Koziello and Terodde (dude scored 25 goals in each of the past seasons in 2nd Bundesliga) will stay or they wouldn't have bought them in January. I think Timo Horn will be gone for sure too as he is one of the best german goaltenders and still young. There already was lots of interest already but he is born and raised in Cologne so he wouldn't leave unless it was a really really big club (Leicester wanted him after they won the PL, I think Liverpool wanted him as well, Dortmund is rumored to be interested for years now), but I don't think there is any chance he would stay. Then there are a lot of other guys that were born and raised in Cologne: Höger, Risse, Öczan, Clemens and so on will most likely stay I think due to the fact they are hometown guys. Then you have players like Bittencourt, Heintz and so on who could certainly find a club in Bundesliga and will draw lots of interest. So I think we will lose some of our core but we still gonna have a really good team next year and should be able to get right back into Bundesliga.
I have to say though that the core of the team is together for quite a long time, some of them even got promoted into Bundesliga with the club (Hector and Horn for example) and almost all of them play there since their first year back in Bundesliga. They really, really are a great team on and off the field and it really is something special compared to many many other clubs. Bittencourt said in an interview that instead of already speaking about where they would play next season if getting relegated they spoke about if they would stay in Cologne even if they get relegated. Our manager also said something along the lines of: I'm sure there are some core players that would stay if they get relegated that people wouldn't think of. It really is a special, special team. So many hometown guys, so many young players that grew with the club over the past 4 years. Sucks to see that break up :(

Yeah absolutely, 34 Millions is a lot of money and I doubt he would have hit 25 goals again, but as you said you need to have good transfers to compensate for this loss and while I love Mere (hope he stays but doubt it, too much talent to play in 2nd Bundesliga) we didn't do that. Was a great opportunity and we just blew it. Obviously we had so much bad luck this season and if 13 starting or squad players are injured its impossible to compensate for that, but we are paying the ultimate price for that now. Just one of the dumbest and most unnecessary relegations in Bundesliga history.

EDIT: Also sorry for bad english, hope you can understand the points I am trying to make and its not to hard to read :D

Your English is perfectly fine. We could converse in German, but then I'd be the one apologizing. My club is Chelsea. My father is an 1860 supporter (I inherited his hatred of Bayern) and I've always tried to follow the league even though I don't have a horse in the race. I remember Horn being a really hot prospect a few years ago, but I haven't heard much about him lately. From what I remember, he was always more impressive than Karius so I wouldn't be surprised if there's still interest in him. 24 is extremely young for a keeper. Hopefully you can make a profit on Mere at the very least, if he's not willing to stay.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
Your English is perfectly fine. We could converse in German, but then I'd be the one apologizing. My club is Chelsea. My father is an 1860 supporter (I inherited his hatred of Bayern) and I've always tried to follow the league even though I don't have a horse in the race. I remember Horn being a really hot prospect a few years ago, but I haven't heard much about him lately. From what I remember, he was always more impressive than Karius so I wouldn't be surprised if there's still interest in him. 24 is extremely young for a keeper. Hopefully you can make a profit on Mere at the very least, if he's not willing to stay.

Haha thanks! I remember Chelsea being interested in Hector and I think Barcelona was as well, but he preffered staying at Cologne. You have to know he isn't the typical footballer in that sense, the dude played for his village club in the 5th league when he was 19 (as an offensive midfielder :D) and then moved to Cologne. I guess he just really values loyality and doesn't really like changes too much if he enjoys the place he is in. Someone even said that he would be a candidate to stay in Cologne even if they get relegated, so I don't really know if an environment like Chelsea would be the right fit for him. I'm excited for him wherever he goes though and would be really proud to see a guy like him playing for one of the best clubs in the world! Horn hasn't really changed that much I guess, he is still viewed as one of the best and most talented goaltenders in Germany and played really really solid the past few years. Many people (including Lothar Matthäus) say that he should be in the national team over guys like Trapp and Leno (no idea what this guy is doing there anyway), so I am sure there will be lots of interest for him in the summer regardless of staying in Bundesliga or not. He is way to talented to play in the 2nd league though. Will be hard to get fair value for Mere when he absolutely wants to go, but I think we will be able to get a solid deal for him. He has been good even though our defense has been terrible.

Oh your father is having a hard time too I guess. Really sucks to see what happened to 1860, hope they find a way to come back somehow and play 2nd Bundesliga at least. Such a shame what happened to the club. They still have awesome fan support though, but it's harder and harder for them to compete with Bayern in younger generations. But they always say that in the older generations München ist blau which is supposed to say that there are more 1860 than Bayern fans living in München in those generations.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Haha thanks! I remember Chelsea being interested in Hector and I think Barcelona was as well, but he preffered staying at Cologne. You have to know he isn't the typical footballer in that sense, the dude played for his village club in the 5th league when he was 19 (as an offensive midfielder :D) and then moved to Cologne. I guess he just really values loyality and doesn't really like changes too much if he enjoys the place he is in. Someone even said that he would be a candidate to stay in Cologne even if they get relegated, so I don't really know if an environment like Chelsea would be the right fit for him. I'm excited for him wherever he goes though and would be really proud to see a guy like him playing for one of the best clubs in the world! Horn hasn't really changed that much I guess, he is still viewed as one of the best and most talented goaltenders in Germany and played really really solid the past few years. Many people (including Lothar Matthäus) say that he should be in the national team over guys like Trapp and Leno (no idea what this guy is doing there anyway), so I am sure there will be lots of interest for him in the summer regardless of staying in Bundesliga or not. He is way to talented to play in the 2nd league though. Will be hard to get fair value for Mere when he absolutely wants to go, but I think we will be able to get a solid deal for him. He has been good even though our defense has been terrible.

Oh your father is having a hard time too I guess. Really sucks to see what happened to 1860, hope they find a way to come back somehow and play 2nd Bundesliga at least. Such a shame what happened to the club. They still have awesome fan support though, but it's harder and harder for them to compete with Bayern in younger generations. But they always say that in the older generations München ist blau which is supposed to say that there are more 1860 than Bayern fans living in München in those generations.

I think Hector made the right decision to stay. We were looking at him as a depth/rotational option behind Alonso. I actually think he's a better overall footballer than Alonso, but he's so crucial to our distribution because there's quite literally nobody in England who can beat him in the air. We ended up getting Emerson Palmieri from Roma for a song so it worked out for both parties.

I genuinely think that Trapp is a wizard of some sort. He's a subpar keeper, incredibly gaffe prone, yet his spot in the Nationalelf seems completely secure. He's been consistently awful for PSG, yet he managed to push aside a younger and much more talented keeper in Areola until Unai Emery put a stop to that madness. To top it all off, he's a thoroughly average looking man yet he's dating a supermodel. I'm telling you, there's magic involved.

Part of me definitely feels sad for 1860. To go from a stable top flight club to playing in a regional league, it's crazy. I really think that the dominance of Bayern is a bad thing for German football. It's so hard for smaller clubs to keep their homegrown talent when Bayern can just say "sell him to us for a fraction of his value or we'll sign him on a free next year". Everyone wants to play for Bayern so they consistently have great teams without spending much money. Not to say that that's the reason 1860 have fallen by the wayside, but it didn't help.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
I think Hector made the right decision to stay. We were looking at him as a depth/rotational option behind Alonso. I actually think he's a better overall footballer than Alonso, but he's so crucial to our distribution because there's quite literally nobody in England who can beat him in the air. We ended up getting Emerson Palmieri from Roma for a song so it worked out for both parties.

I genuinely think that Trapp is a wizard of some sort. He's a subpar keeper, incredibly gaffe prone, yet his spot in the Nationalelf seems completely secure. He's been consistently awful for PSG, yet he managed to push aside a younger and much more talented keeper in Areola until Unai Emery put a stop to that madness. To top it all off, he's a thoroughly average looking man yet he's dating a supermodel. I'm telling you, there's magic involved.

Part of me definitely feels sad for 1860. To go from a stable top flight club to playing in a regional league, it's crazy. I really think that the dominance of Bayern is a bad thing for German football. It's so hard for smaller clubs to keep their homegrown talent when Bayern can just say "sell him to us for a fraction of his value or we'll sign him on a free next year". Everyone wants to play for Bayern so they consistently have great teams without spending much money. Not to say that that's the reason 1860 have fallen by the wayside, but it didn't help.

Yeah I think so too especially considering that we just finished 5th and nobody would have expected us to get relegated this year. He is such a shy and smart guy and just happy with what he got here. I really admire him for staying here. Obviously the atmosphere in big clubs is pretty rough compared to what we got here, so much pressure to perform.

I do think he is better than Leno so he got that going for him, but there is no way a goalkeeper who isn't even the #1 in his club should be in the national team, especially not in Germany. We have so many great goalkeepers and they chose Leno and Trap, I don't get it :D And well I guess he has to be a really nice guy :P

Absolutely, especially considering all the stuff that happened around it. Investors are also a very big deal in Germany and fans hat investors here, so they also had quite a hard time with that.
And yeah it definetly is a bad thing for the league. I mean Bayern absolutely deserves all their success because they worked hard for it and were just very smart about how they manage the club in the past. But clubs here just lack money now to keep up with them. Sure there might be a season where a club can challenge them like Dortmund but over the long run they just cant compete with them. Getting guys like Goretzka or Lewandowski for free is just brutal for the league. You are easily looking at 50+ for Schalke if Goretzka would have gone to a PL Club instead. However Bayern also have trouble competing with PL clubs and PSG/Real/Barca money wise. I think Bayerns approve is better in the long run but right now they gonna have a hard time. It's even worse for middle clubs like Cologne though. No chance in hell you can compete with PL clubs for players if the player really wants the money. Cordoba at 17 Millions is the most expensive transfer in club history and that was only because we got so much money for Modeste. 17 Millions however are peanuts for even average PL clubs

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Yeah, like much of Vienna, Dresden was LEVELED during the war. The firebombing alone was horrific. Whatever pretty parts you see now are amazing reproductions done in the years postwar.

That said, I really like the students' quarter in New Town across the river. Lots of great bars and cool cafes. Let me know what you're looking for and I can give you some more concrete recs.

Also, if you want a really weird but very Saxon-German afternoon, go to the German Hygiene Museum. It's WILD. In a very bizarre, but good way. Also Molkerei Pfund for some delicious milk. (It's seriously delicious.)

Thanks for this information! Yeah I heard about the Church being rebuilt brick by brick after WWII.

I work for a German software company and the American office is making a trip over to have an in-person conference. I'll be staying in Altstadt near the Altmarkt and the Kreuzkirche.

The Hygiene museum sounds awesome, and similiar to the Mutter museum of medical oddities I've been meaning to check out here in Philly. I'm a big history fan so any other suggestions for historical places would be greatly appreciated.

My last trip to Germany I visited Walldorf, Frankfurt, and Heidelburg. Walldorf was...meh. Just seemed like your average small town and the only reason I was there was because that's where my comapany's HQ is located. Frankfurt was quite nice, one of the few skylines that could compete with an American city. Heidelburg was easily my favorite. Beautiful little university town with lots of green space and young people.

The German culture still seems very peculiar to me, and not entirely accepting of foreigners, although they're not as bad as the French in that regard.

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Heidelburg is great! I spent a week there over the summer helping the preparation to move my boss' grandmother back to Prague.

For my money, and feel free to disagree with this Germans, I really like:
Leipzig (basically Berlin without the high prices)
Dresden
Hamburg
Heidelburg,
Marburg

I'm iffy on Frankfurt and Munich seems really terrible. Vienna has its charms too, but I have a complicated relationship with Austrians, and especially the Viennese, because of my double ethnicities (Slovak and American).

I'll write more suggestions later, I'm still toiling away on this stupid book translation and the deadline is tomorrow 8 a.m.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Gay ass mice, just leave the house...just caught another on the mouse trap, just bent over as it was slowly dieing with a smile on my face while staring at me. Never knew they could multiply so quick.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
That is so cruel

What is? I hate mice. I don't torture them, they die from the mice traps. It's only cruel if you let them suffer, they are dead in seconds. I rather not say how many mice i've had to deal with, I never knew they grow into big numbers rather quickly. I'm finally almost rid of them without having to buy a cat (which i'll do regardless).

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Smiling as they die, yeah that is cruel!
Lol they are dirty pieces of shit that destroy your home if you let them get out of hand. I felt bad a few times when they had their high pitch cry, but i've dealt with them before. I take it you've never dealt with mice before? it's really common where I live.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad