Best Head Coaching Candidates for the Rangers

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Jeff Gorton put AV in this mess with no center. I'll bet most of you wish we had Stepan back now. You wanna fire someone fire Gorton.

Why, Jeff Gorton looks into the future when he is rebuilding this team. And he is aware that AV is about to end of his time here in New York. We need an upgrade in how we defend in a different system in NHL, and AV can`t do that so a simple solution to continue our staff/player rebuild is to hire a new coach with a different mindset to be successful in some years.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Gorton has been making moves for the future, while also trying to make moves for the now. Management realizes we need a youth movement.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Why?

Because he won cups in LA?

The personnel on this team is unbelievably different than what Lombardi brought in over years to LA.

He too was fired.

I said why in the post... system tends to dictate things like hitting and possession.

I want a coach that will bring a strong forecheck, hitting, and focus on in zone possession rather than scoring off the rush.

out0fstep

Feb 13, 2009
Behind you...
My personal top candidates are Sheldon Keefe (Toronto Marlies), Kris Knoblauch(Flyers assistant coach they hired to watch over Hakstol), Norm Bazin (UMass Lowell), Nate Learman (Providence) and Sam Hallam (Vaxjo). See who interviews the best, I probably prefer Hallam, although it is a real concern how he'd adjust to coaching in NA.

I've been saying Keefe since last year. I like Rand Pecknold too.

I don't know how he would do on the bench, but it would be cool to see Messier there.

And just for shits and giggle give Avery the assistant spot, because if we still suck the games would be at least be entertaining with him there.

In all seriousness though, I'd rather see a coaching change before we blow up the team. While a trade to shake things up would could be helpful it's highly unlikely that it would be effective with AV at the helm. So fire his ass and see what this team can do playing a system that isn't useless and inane. After that if the team is still garbage, than make the big trade.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
The Rangers will never hire Sheldon Keefe. It's in his past, but he's got way too much off ice baggage. Keefe will be an NHL coach. Likely a successful one, but I'd be shocked if it was with this organization.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I said why in the post... system tends to dictate things like hitting and possession.

I want a coach that will bring a strong forecheck, hitting, and focus on in zone possession rather than scoring off the rush.

I’m saying that this roster would not jive with the play style Perdue the Chicken man instilled with the Lombardi built roster in 2011.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Boy, seeing these listings of potential replacements really puts into perspective how those constantly shouting for AV's head have no real plan. They will get their blood sooner rather than later, but this team will be left with the same personnel problems

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
The Rangers will never hire Sheldon Keefe. It's in his past, but he's got way too much off ice baggage. Keefe will be an NHL coach. Likely a successful one, but I'd be shocked if it was with this organization.
I want him so bad though

What is this off ice stuff you’re talking about? First time I have heard this

Edit: never mind, I found it

Last edited:

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
If AV get canned I would like them to talk to Ralph Krueger. He did 1 season as HC for Edm in 12-13, and they finaly looked like they where going upwards, but they fired him and hired Dallas Eakins... (wow that looked bad a year later).
Last year he was HC for Team Europe in the WC that got to the finals. At the moment he is chairman of Southampton soccer club in EPL (one of the best talent delopers in the world) and he did a very good job with the younglings in EDM back in 12-13.

Reactions: McD37

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Boy, seeing these listings of potential replacements really puts into perspective how those constantly shouting for AV's head have no real plan. They will get their blood sooner rather than later, but this team will be left with the same personnel problems

Which examples are you talking about? I've seen most people calling for Sutter who would be an enormous upgrade.

Just because the roster has issues doesn't mean that the coach isn't one. This is like saying that there is no reason to treat your ruptured testicle just because you have a broken arm.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Which examples are you talking about? I've seen most people calling for Sutter who would be an enormous upgrade.

Just because the roster has issues doesn't mean that the coach isn't one. This is like saying that there is no reason to treat your ruptured testicle just because you have a broken arm.

You don't remove the wrong arm or testicle "cuz thingz need 2 b dun gurl..."

Last edited:

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
That may be true, but a better game plan could lead to better results.

AV was brought here to be the end game coach. I honestly don't know if he's a good developing years coach, which they probably need since it's a transition period. I think a lot of the knee-jerk reactions [not yours] to the coaching change are not thought out well, and hey believe there will be some return to greatness via the swap.

I'm not saying AV shouldn't be canned either.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
AV was brought here to be the end game coach. I honestly don't know if he's a good developing years coach, which they probably need since it's a transition period. I think a lot of the knee-jerk reactions [not yours] to the coaching change are not thought out well, and hey believe there will be some return to greatness via the swap.

I'm not saying AV shouldn't be canned either.
You may be right. But I believe that as flawed as this team is, they are not this bad. But AV's strategy of needing a top 5 goalie to bail him out, does not seem to be adjustable to having the defense help out the goalie. That is an issue. Poor PK. ALL coaching. That is an issue. Team coming out flat and not prepared to play. ALL coaching. That is an issue.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
If the Rangers are going to hire a win now coach, that's easy. Dave Tippett. He's been one of the best coaches in the league for years and when you see the hot mess the Coyotes are this week, you will understand how much he is missed.

If they should ever do a rebuild with a young, off the grid selection, Jim Montgomery from Denver would seem like a very good choice. I suspect that Gorton has a list of these kind of names in his pocket if it should ever come to that.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I don`t know @bobbop I felt that Glen has been sleeping the last couple of years. The worst results since 1960/61 this season - G. Sather should at least have a list of names by now and consider his options for the future of the franchise.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Eliminate Sutter from the equation. I don't think he is he coach for this team. No Hartley, no Bylsma, no Arniel or Ruff, no Capuano, no Roy, no Tippett, Oates, or Therrien. No Berube.

Look outside of former NHL coaches who obviously don't have successful systems or had success in general. These aren't good coaches.

The Rangers need to look elsewhere if they want a new coach, IMO. Such as Sheldon Keefe, such as other coaches from leagues like the Czech, Sweden, Liiga, KHL, etc. Just scout out the options. We need to just give a coach who deserves a chance in the NHL a try. I'm not sure who that may be, but AV's leash needs to be cut short, and then cut completely soon.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Maybe Dave Tippet. Sutter is out IIRC, and most of the others are hard passes.

I vote for @Machinehead.

This fan base would probably hate Tippet fast. I also vote for @Machinehead but only if he would pick our lineup only via Corsi stats without actually watching the games to finally prove how worthy Corsi is.....oh and he would have to eat his hair after any losses. :D

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The Rangers need to look elsewhere if they want a new coach, IMO. Such as Sheldon Keefe, such as other coaches from leagues like the Czech, Sweden, Liiga, KHL, etc. Just scout out the options. We need to just give a coach who deserves a chance in the NHL a try. I'm not sure who that may be, but AV's leash needs to be cut short, and then cut completely soon.
If they are trying to win the Cup while Henke is on this team, do not think that will happen.

I would still love Sutter or Crawford.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad