Best Head Coaching Candidates for the Rangers

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Yes it's early but if things continue the way they are, AV will be (hopefully) canned. He probably should've been canned over the summer, but that's another story.

Just curious but if it was up to you, who would you have coaching the Rangers for the rest of the season? You can say AV, but when will enough be enough? Maybe a head coaching change can spark the team like it did for the Penguins last year.

Names to possibly consider for this season:

Lindy Ruff (obvious choice)
Scott Arniel (another obvious choice)
Darryl Sutter (the most successful overall of the bunch)
Brent Sutter
Dave Tippett
Adam Oates
Patrick Roy (Nick Holden recommended)
Dan Bylsma
Michel Therrien
Paul McLean
Bob Hartley (hard-ass that would light a fire under this team)
Ron Wilson
Jack Capuano (nooooooo)
Craig Berube

Any of these names appeal to you?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Capuano, just so we can have "battle-level" memes.

Tippet is probably the best choice here.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Let's be real.

if AV gets canned, it's gonna be Ruff. Half the reason they brought him in was if they fired AV this season, they had a suitable replacement

He'd be fine for this season, but I would hope they get someone else during the summer

Reactions: haveandare

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Daryl Sutter is my choice. He had a fantastic possesion team in LA. Im not saying its everything and im not a guy who only look at corsi, but we really need to spend alot more time in the offensive zone.
I think he would help us alot in terms of beeing a harder team to create chances against and help us have more sustained pressure.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Let's be real.

if AV gets canned, it's gonna be Ruff. Half the reason they brought him in was if they fired AV this season, they had a suitable replacement

He'd be fine for this season, but I would hope they get someone else during the summer

It might have been insurance specifically for that; if the team really nosedives and they decide to get rid of AV, Ruff would take over for the remainder of the season and they re-evaluate options from now through the off-season. Someone in another thread mentioned that guys like Trotz or Quennville could be potential candidates depending on how their teams do, although I don't see Q getting canned when they're only 2 years removed from a Cup after winning 3 with them. Also don't really see Trotz getting the boot either (then again I know nothing about WSH), but I suppose crazier things have happened. Maybe we get Tortorella back? ;)

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Are you "All-In for Dahlin?"

If you are then you can AV and name Ruff the interim. Cause Lindy will be one hell of a tank commander.

Trotz is without an extension, and that's very odd for a coach with back to back president trophies. He's be my number 1 guy, but you can't bank on his availability.

Sutter is a guy that the org needs. Defensively it would work out very well for Hank.... but those teams don't have a lot of offensive creativity.

IMO you go with Sutter, and overpay Oates as an associate to run the offense and PP.

AV's been in a steep decline for a few years now... and the team is fairly weak... with a bunch of guys that don't show up... that won't happen under Sutter.

What the org needs are young guys that are high character guys. Which unfortunely is something that you have to have a pipeline off.

Going after the best skaters regardless of character and hockey IQ has hurt this team.... Etem... Kovacs... etcs... the game needs glue guys... emotional leaders... and that just isn't in the organization right now... until that changes, and you have that internal accountability that can last more than a 20 minute period without patting themselves on the back... you won't have a winning culture.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Don't understand why people want Trotz, the guy has coached, what, 20 years without making it to the conference finals? Makes Marty Schottenheimer seem like Bill Belichick.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Ruff is next in line. I'd personally like to try someone with a good track record in the AHL or NCAA. Anyone who hasn't been canned at the NHL level multiple times already.

Last edited:

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
NHL coaches really suck. There's probably only 5ish good ones out there and they're all on cup contenders. In your list for example, AV is better than all of them except Sutter.

Would've canned both AV + Gorton for Sutter and Lombardi. I think that might've been the only way for Sutter to leave his ranch. It's just a pipe dream at this point.

SnowFort

Mar 5, 2017
I think I would also like to look for a coach elsewhere. Unfortunately I do not follow the AHL or NCAA or other international leagues except the SHL, so I don’t know about the coaches there. But I am tired of the endless recycling of NHL coaches though.

Were we not linked to a relatively young Czech coach named Pesan in the summer? Not necessarily for the rangers, but for the wolf pack maybe?

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
We aren't in what I would call a golden era of NHL coaching. Everyone available is flawed.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Most of the names are absolutely awful sans Sutter who won’t come out east. I’d opt for Ruff out of those. Bite the bullet and bring in someone from college like Norm Bazin, or keep an eye on Rocky Thompson with the Chicago Wolves in the AHL.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Some options outside the NHL/AHL.

Jim Montgomery-Denver
David Quinn-Boston University
Ted Donato-Harvard
Scott Sandelin-Minnesota Duluth
Bob Motzko-St. Cloud State
Brad Berry-North Dakota
Nate Learman-Providence
Norm Bazin-UMass Lowell
Rand Pecknold-Quinnipiac
Mike Hastings-Minnesota State

Junior Hockey:

Dale Hunter-London
Gilles Bouchard-Rouyn-Noranda
Chris Hartsburg-Erie
Joel Bouchard-Blainville

Europe:

Sam Hallam-Vaxjo
Roger Ronnberg-Frolunda
Olegs Znaroks-SKA
Lauri Marjimaki-Finland

RiceCooker

"We Got Some Looks"
Mar 6, 2007
Home !!
Anyone who can light a fire under these players ass's .
How long do we have to watch Kreider show up for a 1/4 of the games and then go back to being invisible (along with quite a few others ) .
A coach who plays the 4th line with 4th line minutes and to go along with that doesn't bury promising young players on the 4th line .
A coach who will let the young guys make some mistakes without benching them ASAP, yet allows useless vets to make as many mistakes with no consequences .
A coach who's more concerned about wins than how many looks we got .

IS THIS TO MUCH TO ASK !!

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
My personal top candidates are Sheldon Keefe (Toronto Marlies), Kris Knoblauch(Flyers assistant coach they hired to watch over Hakstol), Norm Bazin (UMass Lowell), Nate Learman (Providence) and Sam Hallam (Vaxjo). See who interviews the best, I probably prefer Hallam, although it is a real concern how he'd adjust to coaching in NA.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
My personal top candidates are Sheldon Keefe (Toronto Marlies), Kris Knoblauch(Flyers assistant coach they hired to watch over Hakstol), Norm Bazin (UMass Lowell), Nate Learman (Providence) and Sam Hallam (Vaxjo). See who interviews the best, I probably prefer Hallam, although it is a real concern how he'd adjust to coaching in NA.
f***ing spot on list.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
If we're going young junior/minor route-

Jackson out of Union.

Still think they go with an NHL caliber guy. NY has it's own set of challenges when players aren't held accountable.

This team needs a take no prisoners type of coach.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
We need a coach that, when he has a game plan that isn't working during a game, can actually change and adjust to other team's play. I don't know if AV is stupid or stubborn. When he has a game plan, he sticks to it even if he loses. He'd rather lose HIS WAY than adjust and give his team a chance to win. He's easy on opponents because of this. I am tired of it.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Anyone who can light a fire under these players ass's .
How long do we have to watch Kreider show up for a 1/4 of the games and then go back to being invisible (along with quite a few others ) .
A coach who plays the 4th line with 4th line minutes and to go along with that doesn't bury promising young players on the 4th line .
A coach who will let the young guys make some mistakes without benching them ASAP, yet allows useless vets to make as many mistakes with no consequences .
A coach who's more concerned about wins than how many looks we got .

IS THIS TO MUCH TO ASK !!

The bolded sentence says it all!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad