Best Head Coaching Candidates for the Rangers

AKA Chief

Sep 29, 2017
If we could get a proven winner like Babcock, great, but since that type of coach isn't available, I don't want any NHL retreads.

I nominate Dale Hunter....maybe he can help bring in Tavares next summer ;)

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
It should not be long now until Darryl Sutter sit on a private jet to New York to solve this mess.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Weren't a lot of people clamoring for Rick Bennett a year or so ago?

I don't want him, but he was FOTM for a while here.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
People need to stop looking at other failed NHL coaches and AHL coaches making the same mistakes over and over again trying to get into the NHL to be a future failed coach.

Throw a shit ton of money at team Sweden's coach from the worlds. Coaches salary isnt a cap hit. Dude out coached his way to a gold medal with a rag tag team. 6 of his players werent even NHLers.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I do not see the passion on these guys faces we have had for years. I don't see them having fun or getting mad. Guys known for extra effort are not always showing it. AV has to turn this around soon. My concern is that the group has gone stale. I saw some of that last season as well. There is no guarantee that a new coach will give a long term jump start.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
People need to stop looking at other failed NHL coaches and AHL coaches making the same mistakes over and over again trying to get into the NHL to be a future failed coach.

Throw a **** ton of money at team Sweden's coach from the worlds. Coaches salary isnt a cap hit. Dude out coached his way to a gold medal with a rag tag team. 6 of his players werent even NHLers.
and if it works in a tournament that doesnt really represent the best players in the world, then surely it must work in an 82 game NHL season.

i honestly dont know who he is or what his resume is..but i just think citing 1 tournament is not enough for me to hire someone to be the coach of an original 6 team.

i also dont think Machinehead would be a good coach either...he's on this message board WAY too much..doesnt take the job seriously enough.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
If we could get a proven winner like Babcock, great, but since that type of coach isn't available, I don't want any NHL retreads.

I nominate Dale Hunter....maybe he can help bring in Tavares next summer ;)

No old NHL coaches like the Hartley types, they suck. Dale Hunter, Sheldon Keefe, guys like that would be more of interest for sure lol.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
A new coach is not about trying to give the team a jumpstart. It's about finding someone who doesn't consistently make the same bad decisions. I would want AV gone if we were 6-2-2 and he did everything exactly the same just our sh% was higher.
so much this.

theres really only 2 issues i have with AV..but they literally havent changed since his 2nd season here...the defensive system is dumb...there is just way too much movement in the defensive zone...we skate around like chickens with our heads chopped off..its ridiculous.

and his roster decisions are awful.

x's and o's outside of that? he's probably fine..but those 2 colossal things are just awful. i doubt the next coach will be perfect...no coach is...but im done with this one.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The Rangers will never hire Sheldon Keefe. It's in his past, but he's got way too much off ice baggage. Keefe will be an NHL coach. Likely a successful one, but I'd be shocked if it was with this organization.

I have zero interest in ever seeing a former David Frost fanatic like Keefe in a position of power in NY.

Reactions: All Might

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
and if it works in a tournament that doesnt really represent the best players in the world, then surely it must work in an 82 game NHL season.

i honestly dont know who he is or what his resume is..but i just think citing 1 tournament is not enough for me to hire someone to be the coach of an original 6 team.

i also dont think Machinehead would be a good coach either...he's on this message board WAY too much..doesnt take the job seriously enough.

The Canadian team they beat is better then any team currently in the NHL. He is a big name coach in Sweden. You know the place that keeps raising insanely good players in the NHL. Just because you don't know who he is doesnt change the fact that you and your thinking are out of date.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The Canadian team they beat is better then any team currently in the NHL. He is a big name coach in Sweden. You know the place that keeps raising insanely good players in the NHL. Just because you don't know who he is doesnt change the fact that you and your thinking are out of date.
just because there's a shiny new toy, doesnt mean it's better than the other options that may or may not be available out there.

Again, maybe hes awesome, i dont know...Herb Brooks beat an amazing team russia and was a sub .500 coach in the NHL...

You may be right...i dont lnow...but i think this whole thinking of some random guy in the SEL being the savior is....well, it at least needs to be tempered imho.

I dont know who he is so you guys may be totally right.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
so much this.

theres really only 2 issues i have with AV..but they literally havent changed since his 2nd season here...the defensive system is dumb...there is just way too much movement in the defensive zone...we skate around like chickens with our heads chopped off..its ridiculous.

and his roster decisions are awful.

x's and o's outside of that? he's probably fine..but those 2 colossal things are just awful. i doubt the next coach will be perfect...no coach is...but im done with this one.

Predictably, those are two vague and lazy arguments. You speak almost as if the defensive game plan is to chase around the opposition, but the reason this is happening more and more as the years go on is the decay of the roster when it comes to solid 2 way players who can take care of business in their own end -- that goes for both the forwards and the defensemen. You can pretend its been this bad going back to 2015, but you'd be an opportunistic liar.

Anyway, the roster decisions are directly tied to this and the foundation of your frustrations, but you've been too fixated on the head coach to notice whats happened with the roster.

AKA Chief

Sep 29, 2017
My rule is to wait until 20 games to get a true gauge on a team. The Rangers are only halfway there so I'll hold off on a verdict, but I will say that Scotty Bowman in his prime wouldn't be able to turn this team into a winner. Gorton gave AV a team that isn't good enough to make the playoffs. HOWEVER, that doesn't absolve AV from getting more out of these players which he hasn't done. Too many players like Kreider and Vesey to name just 2 have been MIA. The players are ultimately accountable for their play but the coach needs to get more out of his players and his handling of the defense has been crap.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
My rule is to wait until 20 games to get a true gauge on a team. The Rangers are only halfway there so I'll hold off on a verdict, but I will say that Scotty Bowman in his prime wouldn't be able to turn this team into a winner. Gorton gave AV a team that isn't good enough to make the playoffs. HOWEVER, that doesn't absolve AV from getting more out of these players which he hasn't done. Too many players like Kreider and Vesey to name just 2 have been MIA. The players are ultimately accountable for their play but the coach needs to get more out of his players and his handling of the defense has been crap.
One can do more with less. Not ideal, but has been done. Look at Tort's teams in NY. The issue w/ AV is that he does not put his team into the best position for success. Running around the defensive zone is all well and good when you have arguably the NHL's top goalie. Doing the same thing without such a player to bail you out is setting up for failure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad