Best Head Coaching Candidates for the Rangers

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
I've been saying it for two years...Marc Crawford. Now he's finally back in the NHL and has made it known that he wants to be a head coach in the NHL again. He can develop young players and likes to bring the offense. He might not be the best D coach in the world, but sometimes that's why you have assistants. He's also not a p***ycat like AV is...he can bring the fire in the locker room. I would love to have Crawford.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I've been saying it for two years...Marc Crawford. Now he's finally back in the NHL and has made it known that he wants to be a head coach in the NHL again. He can develop young players and likes to bring the offense. He might not be the best D coach in the world, but sometimes that's why you have assistants. He's also not a p***ycat like AV is...he can bring the fire in the locker room. I would love to have Crawford.

Crawford hasn’t coached a team into the playoffs since Messier retired. Yes, he had an aggressive approach, but the only hard success he had was with the overly stacked late 90s Avalanche.

I’d def pass on Crawford.

Griffinbw

Feb 19, 2016
Atlanta
Think Sutter would be a good fit. First of all his teams are godlike to the advanced stats community for their possession numbers. Also, he’s got a hands on approach (pretty high energy), which our guys could definitely use

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Crawford hasn’t coached a team into the playoffs since Messier retired. Yes, he had an aggressive approach, but the only hard success he had was with the overly stacked late 90s Avalanche.

I’d def pass on Crawford.

Crawford, Torts and Hartley all had the same problem, caught in that extremely simplistic transition game style after the lock-out. Just throw the puck up ice to avoid getting caught in a trap, then gamble and pressure hard when the puck was deep. Was the only way to beat the trap. Then when puckpossession started to matter and it was important to keep the puck within the team they got horrible results.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Crawford, Torts and Hartley all had the same problem, caught in that extremely simplistic transition game style after the lock-out. Just throw the puck up ice to avoid getting caught in a trap, then gamble and pressure hard when the puck was deep. Was the only way to beat the trap. Then when puckpossession started to matter and it was important to keep the puck within the team they got horrible results.

Yup!

One trick ponies on stacked teams.

Pass...

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Personally I don't think AV is going anywhere. By the 20 game mark I'm think 500 hockey and slow increase in the "W' column. Still see them as a playoff team. Just have to work out all the kinks.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Personally I don't think AV is going anywhere. By the 20 game mark I'm think 500 hockey and slow increase in the "W' column. Still see them as a playoff team. Just have to work out all the kinks.
The point is, though, that AV is guilty of too much tinkering. Too much mixing up the D pairings and forward lines. Because of this I say he's doing more harm than good. He is stubborn about the wrong things when he SHOULD BE STUBBORN about the D pairs, and lines, letting them learn to play.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Don't see it playing out like this at all.

They aren't 1-5 bad but they aren't a whole lot better. The coach sucks, but the roster isn't great either.

We knew this was a strong possibility. For once they need to let it play out instead of trying to fix it by doing something stupid.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Crawford is also very prickly, like Torts. Probably would wear out his welcome in due time.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
The point is, though, that AV is guilty of too much tinkering. Too much mixing up the D pairings and forward lines. Because of this I say he's doing more harm than good. He is stubborn about the wrong things when he SHOULD BE STUBBORN about the D pairs, and lines, letting them learn to play.

I completely agree with that. Keep the D together and let them work it out. They are pro's. They will figure it out but no better way to do so then gametime, with minutes.

I still think they will figure it out. Couple of these losses could have gone the other way. Bounce here, save there. etc.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Tippet, Hartley or Wilson if you go with that list
but i dont prefer an older retread

my proposal is this - McCambridge as HC with Ruff as Assciate HC,
Arneil replaces McC w HWP,
Brad Richards or someone else joins the staff

the young and coming 1st time NHL HCs like Hynes and Hakstol are a way things are changing

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Apparently the coach that does understand the post lock out transition game is not having that much luck either.

Reactions: Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Apparently the coach that does understand the post lock out transition game is not having that much luck either.

I am not sure what you mean, but the record of Hartley, Crawford and co after the lockout is pretty horrible.

Torts have had several horrible years and a few good regular seasons, but overall looked very very clueless in the POs. And that is coaching some stacked rosters. Torts has also adopted a bit now, he still uses the same element when moving out of his own end but his players have much more free roles when moving across the offensive blue line than they had in Tampa/NYR/Van.

But I am not saying that people cannot adjust. Just saying that you must get it right. You cannot assume that everyone “gets it” by now. The game have changed a lot just the last couple of years.

Like I said, Sutter didn’t keep up in that regard... Julian is another example. We have made some good adjustments under AV.

What you can question under AV is the man-man defense. I don’t think many realize how much harder it makes playing D for some Ds (like a Staal), OTOH you also become a lot harder to contain — look at Chicago.

It’s also roster based. Sullivan can play the way he does, a deep defense, having 2 of the top 3 centers in the league and a great 3rd line. Play that way with like Kreider-Step-Nash and they would have a much harder time getting up ice...

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think Arnel is a worthless coach coach — but I wonder how much he is behind some of the better things we have done? Because I am not sure if AV have figured out some stuff by himself. I think AV is very respectful of what a challenge a NHL regular season is and makes sure to land a lot of projects properly — developing kids, lines, how we play in some areas etc. But I don’t think he is the sharpest knife, why does Arnell have a job? A good job? He must be good at something...

If so, I would be in favor of replacing AV with Sutter BUT keeping Arnell if Sutter was lax in relation to the Xs and Os.

Reactions: Ori

Flying Puck

Oct 16, 2017
Jeff Gorton put AV in this mess with no center. I'll bet most of you wish we had Stepan back now. You wanna fire someone fire Gorton.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Jeff Gorton put AV in this mess with no center. I'll bet most of you wish we had Stepan back now. You wanna fire someone fire Gorton.

So it is Gorton's fault AV won't play Miller at centre?
I won't speak for most, but I'm perfectly ok with the Stepan trade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad