Rumor: Bergevin expects Pacioretty back next year with the Canadiens

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
He should have been the one to go instead of Subban and now it's happened again and Galchenyuk goes and casper is still going to be here! The outcome is going to be very predictable here with the habs. High picks for years to come but it will be a nearly impossible task for the new gm to try and mop up. Price, Weber and soon to be Pacioretty on handcuffing contracts that no team will want to touch.
It reeks of a GM with no plan, eh...

Reactions: OldCraig71

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I don't get why people are upset St Bergevin for either "lying" or wanting to keep Max.

He was asked a question and gave a generic boring hockey answer. Do you expect him to openly say he's trying to trade the captain? That would never happen.

I'm not a fan of Bergevin, but he handled this question exactly as he should've.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't get why people are upset St Bergevin for either "lying" or wanting to keep Max.

He was asked a question and gave a generic boring hockey answer. Do you expect him to openly say he's trying to trade the captain? That would never happen.

I'm not a fan of Bergevin, but he handled this question exactly as he should've.

It's like usual... People are so upset with him they hate him and exaggerate everything to the max. My support for Bergevin as our GM has diminished in the last 2 years but what answer do you expect to hear from him? Yeah, we will trade Patch for sure? Come on guys... He may not be making good trades for us but expecting him to tell us his every move through the media before he makes them is ridiculous.

As far as keeping Patch? I think it's a real possibility. The asking price is set high cause Bergevin values his character and attitude. If we do indeed trade him, the tank and rebuild is on for real! One of the worse goal scoring teams and lack of depth up the middle and we end up trading our two best shooting forwards with goal scoring potential.

Lose for Hughes

Reactions: Le Tricolore

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

This is Hf, of course they were expecting him to say “yes, we are trying to trade Pacioretty because we don’t like him anymore “........:skeptic:

Reactions: Le Tricolore

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
He should have been the one to go instead of Subban and now it's happened again and Galchenyuk goes and casper is still going to be here! The outcome is going to be very predictable here with the habs. High picks for years to come but it will be a nearly impossible task for the new gm to try and mop up. Price, Weber and soon to be Pacioretty on handcuffing contracts that no team will want to touch.
I disagree about Price and Weber, they are certainly tradable despite their big contracts...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I disagree about Price and Weber, they are certainly tradable despite their big contracts...

I agree they can be traded but I would be patient with it. Let the cap grow and entertain offers but don't shop them. However, if we have another disaster year, they will demand trades during the next season.

- Weber: I'd be ok with trading him if we get a serious return this draft or this summer. If not, keep him and trade him at the next deadline.

- Price: Trade him after next season's cap increase or when a few other goalies sign contracts that are $8-$9M range. Top 10 goalies will no longer be $5-7M range. It's going to be $7-$9M range very soon. Retain $1.5M on his contract and we should get a serious return for him. Trading Price will require patience and for him to demand a trade due to his NMC. We need circumstance to work in our favor on his trade value.

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
Pacioretty is a perfect example of "Die a hero a live long enough to see yourself become the villain"

Max used to be loved until people had expectations that were beyond his pedigree.

The same would've happened to other young players who shall not be named if they got the roles people envisioned for them.

The problem is and has always been a lack of high end talent. It forces guys like Max to expectations they cannot meet.

This isn't to say Max's playoff no shows are that simple but it doesn't help.

This guy should get traded because as the quote says, he's lived long enough to be the villain.

Thats the part I'm not totally sure about, is it people or himself, or the team for that matter. He fit the Bergevin mold perfectly, no flavor what so ever, and then the Bergevin team selected him to be captain. A perfect image of this team, absolutely no leadership and accountability. Sure he blames himself in front of the media but does absolutely nothing to change that perception on the ice, season after season. He got hurt with Chara, everyone understands this can be life changing, seeing myself being pulled off the ice on a stretcher would scare the hell out of me too. But then why do you opt to be in the spotlight by wearing the C (even if it is the team who selected you, you have the option to decline and have someone else take the spotlight) and acting like the defacto leader, only on your terms though. How he acted towards Subban shows his lack of leadership, then there's this article I read somewhere that he would not stay with the team if the C is removed, are you kidding me? There are have been loads more impactful players who have lost the captaincy, and second who are you to decide that? You're under contract, you'll play for this team with a big smile on your face if we decide to slap an F on your jersey, thats what leaders do.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Given what they got for Galchenyuk, I doubt the trade value is there for Max. I imagine word around the league is you can fleece Bergs. Why give him a decent return?

One has scored more than 30 goals/60 points 5 times, the other has scored 30 goals once and his career high is 56 points.

Reactions: 417

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Hopefully Bergevin trying to use Cowan as a negotiating tool. Hoping for another "been working on this trade since the deadline" deal.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I agree they can be traded but I would be patient with it. Let the cap grow and entertain offers but don't shop them. However, if we have another disaster year, they will demand trades during the next season.

- Weber: I'd be ok with trading him if we get a serious return this draft or this summer. If not, keep him and trade him at the next deadline.

- Price: Trade him after next season's cap increase or when a few other goalies sign contracts that are $8-$9M range. Top 10 goalies will no longer be $5-7M range. It's going to be $7-$9M range very soon. Retain $1.5M on his contract and we should get a serious return for him. Trading Price will require patience and for him to demand a trade due to his NMC. We need circumstance to work in our favor on his trade value.
Price you know, also needs to play like a top-10 goalie for that to even be possible.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Don't fool yourself, he's here to stay (unless we trade him for a goal scorer, another lateral move, MB special), he's our only 30+ goals scorer.

He's getting a huge contract and will complete the collection of bad contracts with Shaw, Weber, Alzner and Price.

Brendan Gallagher scored 31 goals last season, so two Habs that have reached the 30 goal plateau.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
As much as I hate pacioretty’s game, I acknowledge he CAN fill a need. I’m not against keeping him, under 2 conditions
1) get rid of the C. It’s not good for him or the team
2) they need someone to do all the work and get him the puck. We all saw what happened last season

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
As much as I hate pacioretty’s game, I acknowledge he CAN fill a need. I’m not against keeping him, under 2 conditions
1) get rid of the C. It’s not good for him or the team
2) they need someone to do all the work and get him the puck. We all saw what happened last season

Why keep him though? If you think we're going to contend this year then that's cool, he can be useful with a good center which we don't have. Since we obviously are not, then why not trade him for draft pick + prospects who will actually be useful when we can contend in a few years (hopefully but could be longer). We need to get SOMETHING for the asset which I know is against Habs policy since we have the worst asset management around.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
If Price has another season like last, and I don't expect him to, but if he does then he will not be tradable.
Still, I disagree, GMs arent nuts, they know pretty well how bad the team is in front, Price is still a top goaltender in the game playing for a gargage team that is run by an idiot, and still has a couple of good seasons ahead, just trade him to a decent team and he will shine again...

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Still, I disagree, GMs arent nuts, they know pretty well how bad the team is in front, Price is still a top goaltender in the game playing for a gargage team that is run by an idiot, and still has a couple of good seasons ahead, just trade him to a decent team and he will shine again...
Don't agree. If Price has another miserable season then we are stuck. No team in the league pays 7 mill.+ for a goalie and Price is making $10.5 That money is saved for centers now.
What team has the cap room to keep their team strong down the middle and add Price? ... he would be coming off 2 horrific seasons. Injury problems. Getting older...

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
obligatory
C-EGgUbVoAEajav.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad