Rumor: Bergevin expects Pacioretty back next year with the Canadiens

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Don't agree. If Price has another miserable season then we are stuck. No team in the league pays 7 mill.+ for a goalie and Price is making $10.5 That money is saved for centers now.
What team has the cap room to keep their team strong down the middle and add Price? ... he would be coming off 2 horrific seasons. Injury problems. Getting older...
Habs could always retain part of the salary and take a bad contract in return, alot of teams would salivate to add a top goaltender like Price... teams like Philly, Calgary, Florida, the Nucks, Buffalo could all be interested...

Reactions: Andrei79

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm so tired of the narrative about "untradeable' contracts. It's a myth. With enough creativity and a willing idiot on the other end (and despite what you may think, MB isn't the only desperate/idiot GM in the league) just about any contract can be moved. And with each passing season as the salary cap goes up (which it will no doubt do again as Seattle's expansion team will be injecting some cash into the system) today's unmoveable contract suddenly becomes easier to digest. The only way any team could get stuck with a bad contract forever would be if every other team hired competent people to staff their hockey operations departments. But the cronyism and incompetence at the executive level is not limited to the 7th floor of the Bell Centre. There are many teams currently being run by people who would qualify as at least part-time idiots.

If the Habs decide to move on from Price and/or Weber there will be takers and it won't matter how well or badly they happen to be playing at the time.

Reactions: BeliveauFan4ever

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
He skies shots from the perimeter a lot more then he hits them. He’s not a perimeter player at all. He’s a rush player. His shot is heavy when he has extra strides to shoot. His accuracy when he has time has always been terrible. I’m not sure where you’re getting this from.

That's not true. Yes, he scores off the rush, he has one of the best releases in the game & our entire offense at one point was DD trying to set him up. Then Radulov. Most of those came from around the high slot, circles or off to the side of the net.

If he gets too far out, he stops being effective because he doesn't have a slapper or a one-timer. I've always been surprised he never seemed to work on that.

In any case if you think he's bad, well, the rest of our gritty, semi-skilled undersized forwards are even worse at it.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
That's not true. Yes, he scores off the rush, he has one of the best releases in the game & our entire offense at one point was DD trying to set him up. Then Radulov. Most of those came from around the high slot, circles or off to the side of the net.

If he gets too far out, he stops being effective because he doesn't have a slapper or a one-timer. I've always been surprised he never seemed to work on that.

In any case if you think he's bad, well, the rest of our gritty, semi-skilled undersized forwards are even worse at it.

I don’t think he’s bad. I just think his release isn’t all that impressive unless he’s shooting while skating with speed. He’s still a very good goalscorer.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
He did a number of times. Until the rest of his team skated away after a more than suspect hit almost ended his life.

I remember Pacioretty's game changing more after his suspension. He was much less likely to engage in puck battles and became prone to using the perimeter far too much.

Reactions: cphabs and Rockomax

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
I remember Pacioretty's game changing more after his suspension. He was much less likely to engage in puck battles and became prone to using the perimeter far too much.
Agreed, after his hit on Letang, he was never the same. I don't feel that Chara's hit is what changed him. Not from what I have witnessed, watching the game anyway.

Reactions: groovejuice

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Doesn't it seem like every time Bergevin says this the player gets traded.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Why keep him though? If you think we're going to contend this year then that's cool, he can be useful with a good center which we don't have. Since we obviously are not, then why not trade him for draft pick + prospects who will actually be useful when we can contend in a few years (hopefully but could be longer). We need to get SOMETHING for the asset which I know is against Habs policy since we have the worst asset management around.
By adding a couple players and with a more healthy roster, they can most likely make the playoffs. They aren't likely to be as bad as last year. At least if they keep pacioretty, there's a chance he can rebound and help the team. At the very least, he could increase his trade value. If they get rid of him at the draft, after the season he had, what are they likely to get? Even IF they get a high draft pick + a prospect, they're basically committing to a rebuild. I'm not against that, but I don't think that's where they're going. He might be more valuable to the Habs for the next little while.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Doesn't it seem like every time Bergevin says this the player gets traded.

for sure..lol ..back in Feb 2018 Bergy was telling the media he doesn't know where they get these rumors from.(regarding Gally27 and Pacman).then he said like Gally27..you guys been sayin he be traded for last 2 years..but he's still here....lol....then June gone

Bob McKenzie said today he expects a Pacman trade

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
By adding a couple players and with a more healthy roster, they can most likely make the playoffs. They aren't likely to be as bad as last year. At least if they keep pacioretty, there's a chance he can rebound and help the team. At the very least, he could increase his trade value. If they get rid of him at the draft, after the season he had, what are they likely to get? Even IF they get a high draft pick + a prospect, they're basically committing to a rebuild. I'm not against that, but I don't think that's where they're going. He might be more valuable to the Habs for the next little while.

This is what we need to do... just not going to happen. We will have 10.5 to Price, nearly 8 to Weber and 7-8 to Pacioretty. We are going nowhere with that much $$ tied up to non-centers. Maybe we get into playoffs and earn ourselves another 1st round exit. Honestly I found the lottery selection draft more exciting that the 1st round exits.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
He did a number of times. Until the rest of his team skated away after a more than suspect hit almost ended his life.

Actually Gomez did get into Chara's face... don't think it would have been a fair fight either way.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Nobody is doubting that.

He's not a good captain and not a good fit for our team, anymore.

Thing is we don't know that. We aren't in the room
This team was brutal on paper and we all turned on our only scorer

The thing I agree with you is that he isn't really needed anymore if we are rebuilding, time to move him and cash picks/prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad