Confirmed with Link: Barbashev to VGK for a Zach Dean

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Dean feels like a prospect that is solidly in the Neighbours tier of prospect. Good return for Barbie.

Don't be surprised if he comes back if Barbie is interested

Obviously anything can and will happen during free agency, and Barbie will get a lot of offers when/if he hits the open market. but it sounds like there is at least enough interest from both sides where they will likely discuss something. I have a feeling in the end we'll be outbid by someone else though, and Barbie has earned the highest offer he can get.

Always good to have players respect the way a GM does things, even on their way out.

Read an article the other day that was more about the Wings and the connection between Army and Yzerman but it had a quick quip in there about Fabbri being so appreciative to Army honoring his trade request and finding him a spot where he’d have more opportunity.

I’d assume Tarasenko isn’t super happy about his trade request taking a year and a half to be realized but it sounds like most of the guys out there that have dealt with Army respect him and find him honorable. That matters when it comes to signing UFAs.
I wouldn't assume that considering mostly Tarasenko just put his head down and went to work. His problem leading to the request stemmed from more of how his injury was handled which falls more on the medical staff, so I don't think there was much of disagreement between Tarasenko and Army.

On a separate note let's all take a moment to think of the person likely taking this Barbashev trade the hardest, Jon Hamm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spicy Panger

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
That's one thing about the Blues. They seem to be very good about working with the players and treating them well.

Yeah I agree Tarasenko may not be happy with the time it took to make a trade, but players have to get this is a business too.

Could Army traded him right when he requested trade? Sure and would he have gotten fair value for him? Not at all. He could have honor and traded him for 7th round pick, but is that good for the business? I think players get that and have a lot of respect. Is Army hard to deal with in making deals? Oh yeah, but it seems like for being such as hard !@# to deal with, he has respect for players and doesn't burn the bridges with them.

Everything about Armstrong has seemed extremely professional in negotiations. Think Sundqvist and Walman too. Good players, we needed to compete though and Walman wasn't ready for the assignment we needed him to be ready for, and Sundqvist was recovering from injury. Moved them to a position to succeed.

Tarasenko - different situation, but I think going the route that was gone to publicly air out a trade request more or less pushed Armstrong to wait to get what he wanted or at least wait until the last moment to make sure he wasn't missing out on something better.

I absolutely hate re-looking at the trades we have made with the Red Wings. But almost every single one of them put the player in a better opportunity that they would've had a chance to be in with us which is admirable.

I think it's why you see alot of guys take PTOs with us late in their career. I think it's pretty certain that at the very least Armstrong will respect the wishes of the players and give them a shot, or at the very least be extremely transparent in making other arrangements.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
We were always getting more than just late 2nd for him. This deal shows we expected 1st round equivalent value and got it. Nice work.
Exactly. I'd rather have Dean than another late 1st this year. Throw in another top flight prospect from this year's draft and our offensive pipeline looks very intriguing.

Everything about Armstrong has seemed extremely professional in negotiations. Think Sundqvist and Walman too. Good players, we needed to compete though and Walman wasn't ready for the assignment we needed him to be ready for, and Sundqvist was recovering from injury. Moved them to a position to succeed.

Tarasenko - different situation, but I think going the route that was gone to publicly air out a trade request more or less pushed Armstrong to wait to get what he wanted or at least wait until the last moment to make sure he wasn't missing out on something better.

I absolutely hate re-looking at the trades we have made with the Red Wings. But almost every single one of them put the player in a better opportunity that they would've had a chance to be in with us which is admirable.

I think it's why you see alot of guys take PTOs with us late in their career. I think it's pretty certain that at the very least Armstrong will respect the wishes of the players and give them a shot, or at the very least be extremely transparent in making other arrangements.

Between the accounts from ROR's dad and now Barbashev, it's a stark contrast to Armstrong being literally Satan after not re-signing Perron this offseason to a large portion of the Blues fanbase.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
That's one thing about the Blues. They seem to be very good about working with the players and treating them well.

Yeah I agree Tarasenko may not be happy with the time it took to make a trade, but players have to get this is a business too.

Could Army traded him right when he requested trade? Sure and would he have gotten fair value for him? Not at all. He could have honor and traded him for 7th round pick, but is that good for the business? I think players get that and have a lot of respect. Is Army hard to deal with in making deals? Oh yeah, but it seems like for being such as hard !@# to deal with, he has respect for players and doesn't burn the bridges with them.
That Army left Vladi unprotected at the ED says it all.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Between the accounts from ROR's dad and now Barbashev, it's a stark contrast to Armstrong being literally Satan after not re-signing Perron this offseason to a large portion of the Blues fanbase.

I'm sure Berglund's camp is singing the praises of Armstrong too. It's not all sunshine and puppies. I'm sure Armstrong does what he can to make things smooth for players. But its a business too. And he can be a ruthless business man when required.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I'm sure Berglund's camp is singing the praises of Armstrong too. It's not all sunshine and puppies. I'm sure Armstrong does what he can to make things smooth for players. But its a business too. And he can be a ruthless business man when required.
Yup! He wears two major hats in the Blues organization.

I don't like it, but he does.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Not really. Zimmerman oversees business ops, which is different than before when JD was basically overseeing both with Pleau as GM in name only.
Maybe I'm wrong and really don't understand the inner workings of the Blues organization. What I would need to do is understand the weight of each opinion.

I'm at the point as a Blues fan that I've become more interested in the business side of things.

Reactions: Louie the Blue

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
Maybe I'm wrong and really don't understand the inner workings of the Blues organization. What I would need to do is understand the weight of each opinion.

I'm at the point as a Blues fan that I've become more interested in the business side of things.
From my understanding, while obviously Armstrong makes decisions within a budget, Zimmerman takes care of everything business related. They divided JD’s job into two roles basically and eliminated his job which was redundant and had him essentially as a figurehead after Armstrong took over.

Reactions: eibyyz

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
From my understanding, while obviously Armstrong makes decisions within a budget, Zimmerman takes care of everything business related. They divided JD’s job into two roles basically and eliminated his job which was redundant and had him essentially as a figurehead after Armstrong took over.
Interesting! Thanks!

These sorts of details will be more salient for me going forward. I've been changing my point of attention as a fan.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I am okay with this. I was kind of hoping for Hague, but I think Dean might be an even better return. Our forward prospect group looks pretty good now. I am glad it wasn't Cormier. :)

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018

While I agree this is different, but they meaning his agent and Berglund didn't submit their Modified NTC after he had a NTC the previous season, which was suppose to be 20 teams he didn't want traded too.

How was Army suppose to know Buffalo was one of the 10 teams at the time he didn't want to go too? If Buffalo was like we will take Berglund and you can have O'Reilly? What are you suppose to do?

Reactions: Fez Whatley

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Buchnevich-Thomas-Snuggerud
Bolduc-STL ‘23 1st-Kyrou
Neighbours-Dean-TBA/Schenn?
Toropchenko-Alexandrov-TBA

Won’t be like this for a few years obviously, but the potential forward group is looking like it should be the least of Army’s worries with the retool. I think Schenn and Saad stay until they’re squeezed out, and if you add another legit top line threat between now and then, this top 9 could easily be elite.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Buchnevich-Thomas-Snuggerud
Bolduc-STL ‘23 1st-Kyrou
Neighbours-Dean-TBA/Schenn?
Toropchenko-Alexandrov-TBA

Won’t be like this for a few years obviously, but the potential forward group is looking like it should be the least of Army’s worries with the retool. I think Schenn and Saad stay until they’re squeezed out, and if you add another legit top line threat between now and then, this top 9 could easily be elite.

you think Buch will be re-signed? Will he want to be a part of a rebuild? Not so sure. If we can’t sign next to an extension next year, I’d move him for a nice haul next TDL.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
you think Buch will be re-signed? Will he want to be a part of a rebuild? Not so sure. If we can’t sign next to an extension next year, I’d move him for a nice haul next TDL.

I think he will be extended tbh. He’s a perfect fit for our style of play, and I don’t think this retool will take super long to where that’ll be a huge issue.

If he’s totally against staying, you definitely move him for a haul in the next 12 months.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad