Confirmed with Link: Barbashev to VGK for a Zach Dean

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Anything better than a fifth round pick is cool with me. Whether Dean proves to be such remains to be seen. Either way, I’m fine with moving on from Barbashev. I didn’t want the Blues to be writing that next contract; so happy he’s been moved.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

Zach Dean, C, 20 (Gatineau Olympiques)

Despite good but uninspiring production and a history of injuries, you won’t find many scouts who are down on Dean because he plays such a likable game. Between his hard work, his constant application of pressure, his always-in-motion movement with or without the puck, the trust he earns, his willingness to attack the interior, the tempo he plays with and sets physically, his details along the wall, and the little plays he makes around the ice in give-and-goes, he plays a pro-style game. Mix in fast hands, a strong neutral-zone game as a carrier, a smooth and flowing stride with good power, advanced athleticism and a muscular build, a decent one-timer, and you’ve got the makings of a driver who can play through contact and make plays. I’m looking forward to watching him when the games get tight in the QMJHL playoffs, because Gatineau has title aspirations and he’s going to have to lead the charge. He projects as your prototypical third-line center.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I’d say he becomes our #3 prospect immediately. Or 4 if you still consider neighbours as prospect. Real nice return.
That’s where I’d place him too.

And maybe even above Neighbours since generally a 3C would be considered more valuable than a 3LW.

Reactions: Blueston

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Solid prospect for a 3rd Liner like Barby, even if Dean projects as a 3rd line center.

Dean has some Perron like qualities in the offensive zone. Great hands and tenacious.

His shot is not comparable, nor is his offensive output. He will be closer to Barby in output.

Defensively he seems pretty sound.

He really needs to work on his muscle mass though, especially for the way he plays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad