Confirmed with Link: Barbashev to VGK for a Zach Dean

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Would have rather had Sapovaliv, I think he’s going to be a nice shutdown 3C for Vegas down the road. He skilled too so there’s some decent offensive upside as well.

Dean is still a good return though. He’s been a bit underwhelming this year IMO but he’s on a very deep Gatineau team and is having to share ice time with many other good players.

For fun, make sure you check out the Q playoffs this year…

Gatineau is a heavy, skilled team that is going to make a deep run this year. I think they’ve only lost 1 game in 2023.

The Ottawa 67’s are probably the best team in the OHL this season and the Olympiques absolutely manhandled them in an inter-league home-and-home a few weeks ago.

If things shake out like they should, Gatineau should meet Bolduc and the Remparts in the Q final which will be an epic series IMO.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
It helped a lot that we had three of the best pieces available in ROR, Vladi and Barbs.

Yeah, for sure. But he definitely maximized the returns on these guys. So many thought with this draft class that it would be a buyer's market, but it's been a seller's market since he made a very early Tank deal which has spurred an arms race in the East. I've been a little critical of Army since there seems to be a disconnect between the team building of him and the coaching style of Berube, but this is masterful work really.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Yeah, for sure. But he definitely maximized the returns on these guys. So many thought with this draft class that it would be a buyer's market, but it's been a seller's market since he made a very early Tank deal which has spurred an arms race in the East. I've been a little critical of Army since there seems to be a disconnect between the team building of him and the coaching style of Berube, but this is masterful work really.
I see this one as a blending of business decision and hockey trade.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Next year is going to be brutal for the team, but I'm starting to feel like Army is steering the ship in the right direction to be competitive again sooner than later. I expect him to address the defense at the draft and over the summer. He isn't done yet.

I like that he cleared all the obvious deals a little early, and with respectable returns, so that maybe he can focus these last few days on the more complicated part of it that you are talking about. Maybe we can find a way to clear a path towards reshaping the defense at the deadline. If it doesn’t work out, like you say we still have the summer.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Can anyone give actual knowledge about this prospect? Size? Is he actually good? Do you think it's a good trade? I have no idea about prospects really.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Can anyone give actual knowledge about this prospect? Size? Is he actually good? Do you think it's a good trade? I have no idea about prospects really.

From all reports, needs to add a bit of weight. Plays a heavy game. Probably a pretty good bet that he'll be an NHLer in the bottom 6. Most likely a 3C that plays a heavier game. I'll try and link the athletic writeup that Pronman had on him if possible if you like. I know there's mixed reviews of Pronman, but it's his job so i figure he'll at least be knowledgable to the playstyle of said player.

Reactions: mk80

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
From all reports, needs to add a bit of weight. Plays a heavy game. Probably a pretty good bet that he'll be an NHLer in the bottom 6. Most likely a 3C that plays a heavier game. I'll try and link the athletic writeup that Pronman had on him if possible if you like. I know there's mixed reviews of Pronman, but it's his job so i figure he'll at least be knowledgable to the playstyle of said player.

I would appareciate that and thank you for the information. So he's a Barbie replacement it seems?

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I would appareciate that and thank you for the information. So he's a Barbie replacement it seems?
This is post the trade.

Zach Dean was a first-round pick by Vegas in 2021. Since then he’s been an important player this season for a top QMJHL team and was a top-nine forward for Canada at the world juniors when they won gold. Dean isn’t a flashy player, but he’s a good skater, he has some skill, he can shoot the puck well and he has a terrific motor. He attacks the net, plays hard and has a physical edge in his game.

I don’t see Dean as a big scorer at higher levels, though, as I don’t think he’s an overly creative or instinctive player with the puck. He can play center or wing. I can see him becoming a middle-six wing, but if he stays down the middle it would be more of a No. 3/4 center for me.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Solid prospect for a 3rd Liner like Barby, even if Dean projects as a 3rd line center.

Dean has some Perron like qualities in the offensive zone. Great hands and tenacious.

His shot is not comparable, nor is his offensive output. He will be closer to Barby in output.

Defensively he seems pretty sound.

He really needs to work on his muscle mass though, especially for the way he plays.
Sort of sounds like a center version of Snuggs.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Dean feels like a prospect that is solidly in the Neighbours tier of prospect. Good return for Barbie.

Don't be surprised if he comes back if Barbie is interested

Always good to have players respect the way a GM does things, even on their way out.

Read an article the other day that was more about the Wings and the connection between Army and Yzerman but it had a quick quip in there about Fabbri being so appreciative to Army honoring his trade request and finding him a spot where he’d have more opportunity.

I’d assume Tarasenko isn’t super happy about his trade request taking a year and a half to be realized but it sounds like most of the guys out there that have dealt with Army respect him and find him honorable. That matters when it comes to signing UFAs.

Sort of sounds like a center version of Snuggs.
No, not at all really IMO. More like a C version of Neighbours. Similar in caliber to Barbashev.

Snuggs is projected to be a good couple notches higher.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Dean feels like a prospect that is solidly in the Neighbours tier of prospect. Good return for Barbie.

Yes, Neighbours tier and that's ok. A good return for Barbie.

No, not at all really IMO. More like a C version of Neighbours. Similar in caliber to Barbashev.

Snuggs is projected to be a good couple notches higher.
I agree. I thought of Snuggs at first, but then pivoted to Neighbours. Jake is a much better comparison.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I’m quite happy with this trade. Dean, like Neighbours, has solid intangibles, and, I feel, underrated offense. He was regarded as one of the best stickhandlers in his class, has a solid shot, and plays a physical game. If he turns out to be a more offensive-oriented Barbashev, we could come out smelling like roses.
I agree. He's only 20, and will grow into his body, and he's sharing time in a heavy lineup of quality players. He plays with the right attitude and seems very motivated. I'm hoping he'll end up closer to a Snuggerud-tier centre than Neighbours-level. I'm happy with the trade. He looks to outdo what a late 2nd Rounder would bring, and I doubted that Barbie would bring back a 1st Rounder. We've replenished the prospect cabinet on the forward side. But, now Army has to work some magic on the denfensive front, getting rid of a couple of the bad contracts, and getting, at least one high-level young NHL defenceman, and another, as a high-level D-man prospect.

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018

That's one thing about the Blues. They seem to be very good about working with the players and treating them well.

Always good to have players respect the way a GM does things, even on their way out.

Read an article the other day that was more about the Wings and the connection between Army and Yzerman but it had a quick quip in there about Fabbri being so appreciative to Army honoring his trade request and finding him a spot where he’d have more opportunity.

I’d assume Tarasenko isn’t super happy about his trade request taking a year and a half to be realized but it sounds like most of the guys out there that have dealt with Army respect him and find him honorable. That matters when it comes to signing UFAs.

Yeah I agree Tarasenko may not be happy with the time it took to make a trade, but players have to get this is a business too.

Could Army traded him right when he requested trade? Sure and would he have gotten fair value for him? Not at all. He could have honor and traded him for 7th round pick, but is that good for the business? I think players get that and have a lot of respect. Is Army hard to deal with in making deals? Oh yeah, but it seems like for being such as hard !@# to deal with, he has respect for players and doesn't burn the bridges with them.

Reactions: eibyyz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad