Post-Game Talk: b2b wins, Jets 3 Hawks 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
It's interesting to look back at my posts in the Positivity Thread, because it feels like it's coming to fruition.

In years past, when the Jets were winning, it was definitely in spite of underlying metrics and mostly on the back of Hellebuyck. Last year, Hellebuyck didn't have a Vezina-calibre season - but more importantly, the Jets were scoring much, much less than expected, despite the offensive talent they had.

Now for this season - although Hellebuyck has certainly been outstanding - the only real blip to some numbers was that disastrous road trip in October: they've otherwise been kinda decent, for lack of better words. And honestly, this is a good thing to reconcile: because they're doing this without Ehlers and a still somewhat lacklustre shooting percentage at 5v5!

I still have some points of concern, such as the top line's success mostly coming when not facing other teams' top lines, a lacklustre third "matchup" line against real tough competition, and a bottom six that mostly just gets by, and wondering if Morrissey's current streak of outscoring some lacklustre defence (ever so slightly!) will come down to Earth - but at least these Jets are staying accountable and honest with themselves and continuing to build good habits, instead of years past where these concerns were handwaved because internal metrics were better than external, or something like that (though this year we see that public vs private isn't extremely different for the Jets).

In other words - I have cautious optimism that they're trending in the right direction. That being said, I still think this year and the next is the 'final hurrah' for this Jets core, and thus I also think it would be beneficial to make an acquisition sooner rather than later, and not waiting until the trade deadline. If Bowness is able to continue with the good vibes and build on the good habits when he has the roster/talent to deploy a more balanced offensive top 6 (or forward line up in general) with another RH/RW - along with Ehlers' eventual return - instead of merely treading water (again, for lack of better words), this team could be pretty good. Otherwise, I think we'll continue to see some high highs (i.e. right now's winning 7 of last 8) and low lows (that Oct road trip, the thumping that MIN gave us around Thanksgiving, etc.).

How great would it be for the locker room to see Chevy make a move to reward them for their success today, rather than waiting to see if it's "for real" by the deadline?
The lows aren’t as low as the highs are highs fortunately. For instance we have rarely lost 2 games in a row.
That October trip you point to was under Arnel because of Covid. Winning 7 in a row and being the top of division is hardly “treading water” sure we got blown out by Mn but would rather win games and get blown out once in a while since a blow out or a close lose is still only worth 2 points.
Our top line may not be line matching but they do have a rookie on it who keeps getting better every game.

Also how much more of a vote of confidence is it to say I believe in these guys I don’t feel the need to bring anyone in to replace any of you.

If this core only has 2 more years and it’s tough to win at tel he best of times isn’t it important to keep an eye out for a future core instead of saying okay we have 2 years and then we’ll be terrible.

Last edited:

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
How great would it be for the locker room to see Chevy make a move to reward them for their success today, rather than waiting to see if it's "for real" by the deadline?

I can see the value of the early move (more time to integrate the player) but there's a few reasons not to:

a) You'd be making a move based on the current reality. Between now and the deadline we could have a season ending injury that really changes the immediate needs of the team. The early move could make it hard to address a different issue down the road.

b) When you are getting these kind of results without Ehlers for this long he essentially acts as an internal "trade" when he returns. Appleton has the potential to upgrade the bottom 6 (but I know a lot of our guys are doing well in those spots).

I am worried that we need the draft picks we'd be trading for such a move.

c) finally our cap space is smaller now and the cap hit of the new player is bigger the earlier we make a move.
The Jets can "afford" a better player (in theory) in January then they can now.

Hypothetically the Jets could end up moving their next two 1st round picks this year and next for deadline or earlier deals. If they work awesome. If they don't that could lead to a really bad drop of the quality of the team in a few years.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Every SC team has a "worst" player.
Gagner has not cost the Jets a single point in the standing.
He is an experience depth player.
Not a fan of Gagner but the Jets are getting exactly what they are paying him for.
The Jets are winning.
Why look for the negative?

Gagner earned his salary for the year in the first week of games.

The old vet came into the season ready to play, and it showed, and he really helped the Jets get off on the right foot.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
18-7-1. That's a pretty gawdy record! Way over REAL 500! lol...Keep it rolling boys!

I mean lets face it, this team wasn't actually as bad as last year. That was one of those seasons where everything aligned against us. Some of what's happening here is simply a return to reality. It certainly helps that a couple players seem to have "decided" to come and play hockey this year. Also, of course, Maurice had to go. It was well past time for a new voice. It's just basic chemistry.

Last edited:

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Too early in the year to get overly excited but Moneypuck has us as their Cup favourites this morning at 10.2%. I am surprised but not displeased. 😁

a-surprise-to-be-sure-star-wars.gif

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Another Jets victory tonight...

giphy-downsized-large.gif

The Prediction Contest for the game against the Capitals has now been posted with an updated leaderboard. It's a very close race right now, so anybody could win it...except @GeorgeJETson...he's determined to be the anti-winner...:huh:

Don't forget to sign up to create your own GDT, there are plenty of games still available. Thanks to @The Blue Baron who will be making one for the game against Washington on Sunday. We will all be looking forward to it! :thumbu:

I'm just superstitious. My reverse jinx apparently is working, so I figured that's a sacrifice I can make for the good of us all :laugh:

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
You could argue that this year's lineup is actually weaker... no copp or stas

Best not to think about what could have been if we fired pomo after the blues series
No, you couldn’t. Wheeler and Scheifele each missed almost 1/4 of the season, and never really found their timing. Stastny’s numbers were replaced by the arrival of Perfetti. So the top 6 is equal, if not better, just due to health. But the improvements Chevy made in the bottom 6 is where the team is MUCH better. Chevy has replaced Poganski, Reichel, Vesalainen, Brooks, Sanford, and Nash, (combined 129 games and 9 points)the spot fillers with Maenalanen, AJF, Eyssimont, Gagner (combined 84 games and 19 points to date) and guys that can actually play more than 3-4 minutes a game.
Bowness and the rest of the coaches have them playing hungry, aggressive and controlled, but they actually have the roster to do that. They have more speed and way more depth

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Most people knew it was coaching.
However some folks wanted to put people on ignore because those critical Maurice posts were considered negative.
Maurice is now gone and you now hear ZERO rumours about a split locker room….wow magic
Maurice is alive and well dwelling in the minds of many on HFJets. Over a year after he left there are many hundreds of posts every month dealing with him. Fortunately I don’t have to read most due to a key feature of this software🙉

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
@Potrzebie - the laptops fans and power supply died around the same time.
The machine was too old to invest in fixing it. (answer to question from the GDT).

Damn, just curious. As a computer technician and also a hoarder I was curious of the chances of a resurrection but sounds like a DNR was the right choice.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Maurice is alive and well dwelling in the minds of many on HFJets. Over a year after he left there are many hundreds of posts every month dealing with him. Fortunately I don’t have to read most due to a key feature of this software🙉

you agree though that it was well-past time for him to go right?

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I really think Bowness is giving Morrissey free rein to go for offense while Maurice wanted him to play back and a more defensive minded game. Bowness definitely saw something that Maurice didn't and man what a change, Morrissey is playing unreal and very fun to watch.:nod:

you agree though that it was well-past time for him to go right?
You might not get a reply.:laugh: Just kidding.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Missed last night’s game
But reading the posts it sounded like a good workman like effort.
Hope Stanley is ok , not my fave but I hate seeing anyone injured.
Hung way over this am
My company took us out for a pre party party
Beer ,wine, Old Fashions and shooters:help:
I hope to recover enough to enjoy the party tonight.
GJG
Upgrade on Bowness grade to B- I’m flexible :laugh:

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
I've never, ever understood this logic:

"Boys, you're playing really well, you've come together as a team, bonded and developed chemistry, bought into the group effort and shown how much you support and play for each other. So, as a reward, I'm going to cut one or two of you from the pack and replace you with total strangers."

What kind of player responds to that kind of motivation? If our GM loves what we're doing, he'll demote some of us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad