Post-Game Talk: b2b wins, Jets 3 Hawks 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
My reassessment of Wheeler -- last season I thought he was the "major problem" for the Jets, and thought they should get rid of him, as he was causing internal problems and you could clearly see this by the body language on the ice, and rumours of bad vibes he was creating in the dressing room. He was also very bad with the media, and I didn't think he was a proper club Captain. His contract, I thought was overpaid, and I thought he was worth in the $ 5mil range. I also thought Maurice had to go - "without question."

My new assessment of Wheeler this season - I now think he's a big asset for the Jets, and they should definitely not try and deal him. What caused this change ? Lot of things , but primarily Bowness stripping him of the Captaincy, and all the bad media coverage about him being the problem. On top of all that, no other team wanted to trade for him. I think Blake did some self analysis, and deep inner reflecting, and came to the conclusion he didn't want to be remembered as a big problem player for the Jets, but a player who had his greatest years here, and he would "not rock the boat" and turn all these negatives into a positive, by being a team player, and buying into, and supporting the new systems Bowness was implementing.

What we have now is a guy that's playing great, not having the responsibilities of a Captain, and being a real team leader without the C on his jersey. All of this media attention on him, caused him to change his attitude, and I think he's playing great this year, and the body language from Wheeler is very positive, and he'll help the Jets a lot this year. Good that Blake made these changes. Even if he's overpaid a little, it doesn't matter, as he was underpaid for a lot of years. That's OK by me.

So, in conclusion Blake is now an asset to the club, and not a liability, and thank Bowness, and himself for this needed change. Just my opinion here. I would also think that @JetsFan815 will like this post.

Last edited:

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Why? You’re comments are much needed and bring a much needed perspective here!
Sorry, it wasn't meant that way. Let me explain.

This is a very masculine, testosterone-filled place. There are only 3 other women in here, that I know of, so I enjoy a strong "girl hanging out in the boys' locker room" kind of vibe which is a part of my fun. Like the Prime Directive in Star Trek, I don't want to mess with that by being here.

I'm not sure about bringing perspective but I do notice how often I see things differently and lots of times my comments wander off track from the guy's opinions. That's not always a good thing and my comments are not always good to share. Like when someone said, "One man's junk…" and I started a reply that I thought was cute but then deleted it for going too far. For a male sports forum, guys in here are remarkably civil, polite, and respectful and I don't want to draw someone offside by going too vulgar.

So that was the basis for saying it was best that I keep some comments to myself. Not censoring myself, just realizing that sometimes it’s the girl in the group who's inappropriate.

And on that note, time for me to tackle some laundry. I fly home in about a week and it would be nice to have something clean to wear that isn't yoga pants and hoodies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

This is a very masculine, testosterone-filled place. There are only 3 other women in here, that I know of, so I enjoy a strong "girl hanging out in the boys' locker room" kind of vibe which is a part of my fun. Like the Prime Directive in Star Trek, I don't want to mess with that by being here.

I'm not sure about bringing perspective but I do notice how often I see things differently and lots of times my comments wander off track from the guy's opinions. That's not always a good thing and my comments are not always good to share. Like when someone said, "One man's junk…" and I started a reply that I thought was cute but then deleted it for going too far. For a male sports forum, guys in here are remarkably civil, polite, and respectful and I don't want to draw someone offside by going too vulgar.

So that was the basis for saying it was best that I keep some comments to myself. Not censoring myself, just realizing that sometimes it’s the girl in the group who's inappropriate.

And on that note, time for me to tackle some laundry. I fly home in about a week and it would be nice to have something clean to wear that isn't yoga pants and hoodies.
This place needs diversity - I can't do it all myself 🤣

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016

If it helps, I too delete some of my comments, namely jokes, for similar reasons, as I often wonder if it crosses a line. At times I have in the real world, and always felt bad as I'm quite a jokester and only like making people laugh.

I think the only requirement around here is a passion for all things Jets, and I try to help make people feel welcome. Hopefully I'm not driving people away.

So, to everyone new to these parts: welcome. If I haven't responded to your posts yet, rest assured I'm trying to annoy all of you as fast as I can. :sarcasm:

(You get bonus points from me for also using the Prime Directive in your post :laugh: _\\//)

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
I can see the value of the early move (more time to integrate the player) but there's a few reasons not to:

a) You'd be making a move based on the current reality. Between now and the deadline we could have a season ending injury that really changes the immediate needs of the team. The early move could make it hard to address a different issue down the road.

b) When you are getting these kind of results without Ehlers for this long he essentially acts as an internal "trade" when he returns. Appleton has the potential to upgrade the bottom 6 (but I know a lot of our guys are doing well in those spots).

I am worried that we need the draft picks we'd be trading for such a move.

c) finally our cap space is smaller now and the cap hit of the new player is bigger the earlier we make a move.
The Jets can "afford" a better player (in theory) in January then they can now.

Hypothetically the Jets could end up moving their next two 1st round picks this year and next for deadline or earlier deals. If they work awesome. If they don't that could lead to a really bad drop of the quality of the team in a few years.
As much as a 2/3rd line forward would be nice for depth, the team is winning without Ehlers and Appleton. No trade required, at some point they will have both a 2nd and 3rd line player available who should be upgrades that force some guys down the lineup.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
This place needs diversity - I can't do it all myself 🤣
This is a great community. There are many knowledgeable posters with different views. Despite the inherent challenges of communicating through text, the discourse here is excellent!

My challenge is that I find I only respond to posts I disagree with, which can come across as overly negative.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
This is a great community. There are many knowledgeable posters with different views. Despite the inherent challenges of communicating through text, the discourse here is excellent!

My challenge is that I find I only respond to posts I disagree with, which can come across as overly negative.
I think that's pretty common but you do respond in a respectful way so I don't think it's any issue at all

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada

Amen to that. I'm trying hard to not respond to just the things I disagree with, even though I'm at the "get off my damn lawn" age.

Also trying not to speculate on what the girl thought was too inappropriate for a bunch like us. A really dirty joke? An obscene limerick?

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
I honestly think with a little bit of seasoning he could be another Tanev. Tanev didn't really break out until his 26 yo season. AJF is still only 24 and just getting into it. He has some warts for sure but so did Tanev. He's got speed and he can be really disruptive just needs to learn to harness that tasmanian devil mentality like Tanev did.
I really like that comparison. AJF is a rookie, he had a whopping 23 NHL games going into this year, and needs seasoning, but he has great speed and a great work ethic. He is hard in the forecheck, and I believe we are seeing a guy that will be a solid bottom six guy for the Jets

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010

Before posting something ask yourself one question:

"is it going to get a laugh?"

And if the answer is "yes" then its ok to say... even if the only one laughing is going to be you.

This is the advice we give all new employees at work :)

Truenorthducky

Oct 10, 2020
I really like that comparison. AJF is a rookie, he had a whopping 23 NHL games going into this year, and needs seasoning, but he has great speed and a great work ethic. He is hard in the forecheck, and I believe we are seeing a guy that will be a solid bottom six guy for the Jets
he’s the kind of guy where you just need to keep playing him and he will figure a lot of things out as we go along. Never takes a shift off and always full of energy and tenacity.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France

Always good to have more women on HFJets! Wish I was more active but I barely get to watch games anymore so I don't have much to add. Miss hanging out in GDTs with everyone in the summer afternoon sun!

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Before posting something ask yourself one question:

"is it going to get a laugh?"

And if the answer is "yes" then its ok to say... even if the only one laughing is going to be you.

This is the advice we give all new employees at work :)
So a racist or a pedofile or a Weinstein could have a lot of laughs at your workplace with the blessing of HR?

No thanks.

Last edited:

Snowboy

Oct 12, 2013
I've never, ever understood this logic:

"Boys, you're playing really well, you've come together as a team, bonded and developed chemistry, bought into the group effort and shown how much you support and play for each other. So, as a reward, I'm going to cut one or two of you from the pack and replace you with total strangers."

What kind of player responds to that kind of motivation? If our GM loves what we're doing, he'll demote some of us?
Some people like to
"Guild the Lilly"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad