Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Czech goalie Pavel Francouz (1 year)

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
We will see how this looks when Varly is out for 2 months next season. Hope the Frenchman can play

I mean, the solution to that is to move on from Varlamov and bring someone more stable in. With the way goalies play musical chairs in this league, that's totally feasible.

People have an attachment to Varlamov thanks to his flashes of great play, but a) he hasn't proven he can sustain that level of play over long periods of time outside of exactly one season several years ago b) he's never healthy long enough to sustain any kind of play, good or bad, over long stretches and c) people kind of assume that if he's healthy he's playing top tier hockey when that has not been the case since 2014.

This isn't popular but I'd buy Varlamov out this June if he can't be moved and bring in someone more viable in goal, then let that person battle it out with another unknown in Francouz. Even if that new goalie isn't as good as Varlamov's peak, as long as they can maintain some level of average play they should be fine. Varlamov thrives in an environment we should be moving away from: 30+ shots against and miracle saves on every shift. Even if the Avs feel like they need to shelter Francouz and Goalie X, that's better than thinking they can rely on Varlamov to make those crazy saves every time. It's just not a sustainable style of play and when the bottom falls out it gets really ugly. See the Habs, the Rangers, the Senators, the Flames a few years ago, etc.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I mean, the solution to that is to move on from Varlamov and bring someone more stable in. With the way goalies play musical chairs in this league, that's totally feasible.

People have an attachment to Varlamov thanks to his flashes of great play, but a) he hasn't proven he can sustain that level of play over long periods of time outside of exactly one season several years ago b) he's never healthy long enough to sustain any kind of play, good or bad, over long stretches and c) people kind of assume that if he's healthy he's playing top tier hockey when that has not been the case since 2014.

This isn't popular but I'd buy Varlamov out this June if he can't be moved and bring in someone more viable in goal, then let that person battle it out with another unknown in Francouz. Even if that new goalie isn't as good as Varlamov's peak, as long as they can maintain some level of average play they should be fine. Varlamov thrives in an environment we should be moving away from: 30+ shots against and miracle saves on every shift. Even if the Avs feel like they need to shelter Francouz and Goalie X, that's better than thinking they can rely on Varlamov to make those crazy saves every time. It's just not a sustainable style of play and when the bottom falls out it gets really ugly. See the Habs, the Rangers, the Senators, the Flames a few years ago, etc.

Why pay Varly buyout money, and pay another goalie who is likely to be worse? Unless that guy you are bringing in is a clear upgrade of course. Then you also have to weigh the cost versus that upgrade as well. Varly's injury had nothing to do with his groin this time.

His backup should play more games, but unless you are solving the position long term, there is no point in buying him out. The only starter available in UFA signed a contract with Arizona already. There is only backups of various levels left at this point.

The reason so many people are talking about having a strong #3 is because there isn't really much of a better option out there this off-season.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
It's not that he got his head banged against the post and suffered from PCS. This view of Bernier is hot take to the max.
So the whole first part of the year up until the 10 game hot streak, what was the excuse then? He was trash the beginning of the season. Stats are stats. They don't lie.

And again if he had head issues he shouldn't have even been playing. End of discussion.

I'm fully convinced at this point that no matter what I say you're just going to say the opposite because for some reason you just don't like me, and that I couldn't possibly make a smart/good comment. I mean I could probably say the sky is blue and you'd call me out and say it was green.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
So the whole first part of the year up until the 10 game hot streak, what was the excuse then? He was trash the beginning of the season. Stats are stats. They don't lie.

And again if he had head issues he shouldn't have even been playing. End of discussion.

I'm fully convinced at this point that no matter what I say you're just going to say the opposite because for some reason you just don't like me, and that I couldn't possibly make a smart/good comment. I mean I could probably say the sky is blue and you'd call me out and say it was green.
I just think you're expecting too much from him. He's not a consistent starting goalie. We all knew that when he was signed, he has good and bad spells and that's just who he is as a player and why he's not some team's long term starter. There's no reason to hold him to the standard you're holding him to. Nobody thinks he's an elite goalie, but he did his job this season about as well as can be expected of a player like him. It's like calling out Comeau for not scoring 30 goals.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
His sub .900sv% outside of those 10 games is truly pathetic in this day and age of the NHL.

And if he was injured in the playoffs he shouldn't have played. He hurt us more than helped us if that's the case. It's one thing to have skaters play through some stuff in the playoffs but hurt goalies don't help you. At least Hammond was healthy and could have given 100%.
So you want to take out his 9 game win streak. Ok then let's look at his other games a little closer than just saying he was sub .900sv%.

Besides those 9 games, Bernier played 22 other complete games. Of those he had a .900sv% or higher in 13 of them. So 9 were lower with one of them at .897 which is pretty darn close. Bernier played in 37 games of which he started 34 of them. Therefore 22 games (13 + the 9 games win streak) of these 34 he had a .900sv% or higher which is approximately a third of his game started. That is pretty good for a backup goalie.

This tells me that usually Bernier is pretty darn good but the rest of the time he is very bad. We already knew that when he signed with us. He can steal a fair amount of games though which is more than you need from a backup goalie. Overall Bernier is a very good backup.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
So you want to take out his 9 game win streak. Ok then let's look at his other games a little closer than just saying he was sub .900sv%.

Besides those 9 games, Bernier played 22 other complete games. Of those he had a .900sv% or higher in 13 of them. So 9 were lower with one of them at .897 which is pretty darn close. Bernier played in 37 games of which he started 34 of them. Therefore 22 games (13 + the 9 games win streak) of these 34 he had a .900sv% or higher which is approximately a third of his game started. That is pretty good for a backup goalie.

This tells me that usually Bernier is pretty darn good but the rest of the time he is very bad. We already knew that when he signed with us. He can steal a fair amount of games though which is more than you need from a backup goalie. Overall Bernier is a very good backup.
Agree to disagree then. I'd much prefer a consistent backup that can give your team a chance most nights he goes out. As opposed to a guy who can steal a game here and there but puts out stinkers 1/3 of the time he is in nets that doesn't even give your team a chance.

The fact is, he extremely average and now has at least 2 concussions in the past 6 months. We can do cheaper, younger and better and get similar to better results.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

I disagree with you because I disagree with what you are saying, not because I don't like you. I have no opinion on you.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Agree to disagree then. I'd much prefer a consistent backup that can give your team a chance most nights he goes out. As opposed to a guy who can steal a game here and there but puts out stinkers 1/3 of the time he is in nets that doesn't even give your team a chance.

The fact is, he extremely average and now has at least 2 concussions in the past 6 months. We can do cheaper, younger and better and get similar to better results.

Doesn't a green sky or something like that in some place like Kansas mean a Tornado is about to rip your town apart?

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
All aboard bringing Pickard back to be the AHL starter. When Varly gets his annual injury, at least we'll know we have an NHL caliber backup coming up.

Hell yeah, bring back Picks!

Screen-Shot-2016-10-31-at-2-08-19-PM.png

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Bernier would be a strong 3rd string goalie, but I don't think he's going to want that role.

Lol. I wasnt super clear. But i’d want bernie as our backup again and have this guy as our strong 3rd string in an ideal world. We know bernie can hold the fort, need to hedge our bets if he doesnt come back.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Lol. I wasnt super clear. But i’d want bernie as our backup again and have this guy as our strong 3rd string in an ideal world. We know bernie can hold the fort, need to hedge our bets if he doesnt come back.

I'd want his new guy to be the backup, to see if he has what it takes to maybe be a starter...

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Why pay Varly buyout money, and pay another goalie who is likely to be worse? Unless that guy you are bringing in is a clear upgrade of course. Then you also have to weigh the cost versus that upgrade as well. Varly's injury had nothing to do with his groin this time.

His backup should play more games, but unless you are solving the position long term, there is no point in buying him out. The only starter available in UFA signed a contract with Arizona already. There is only backups of various levels left at this point.

The reason so many people are talking about having a strong #3 is because there isn't really much of a better option out there this off-season.
So you don’t have to play your third and fourth string guys sitting on the bench 1/2 the season so they can get actual experience playing in the A.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'd want his new guy to be the backup, to see if he has what it takes to maybe be a starter...

This...

I think the Avs are in a great position to take a risk on Francouz next year and see what he's got. IMO we're still probably 1 more season away at least, from really being ready to push for a cup.

Next year is a year where the goal should be playoffs again, but with a lot of youth and a lot of unknown pieces expectations shouldn't be set super high.

Give Francouz a chance to be the back up, and see how he handles the role, especially how he would handle it if/when Varly does go down with an injury. If he does extremely well for us(Which I think is definitely a possibility), we have found ourselves our starter for the next 5-6 years after Varly leaves without actually having had to spend any assets in doing so.

And if he struggles and Varly goes down with an injury its not the end of the world. It's not like one more(Maybe 2 more) Top 10 picks would be a bad thing for this team and where we are at right now.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

Its too risky IMO. I don't want to waste up a prime year of Mack's career with unreliable + unproven goaltending. I hope we bring back at least Hammond or Pickard at least to have strong goaltending for the Eagles.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00