Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Czech goalie Pavel Francouz (1 year)

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Its too risky IMO. I don't want to waste up a prime year of Mack's career with unreliable + unproven goaltending. I hope we bring back at least Hammond or Pickard at least to have strong goaltending for the Eagles.

Hammond is.... well not a back up. Chances are that if we have Hammond and Francouz; even if Francouz doesn't stick he'd probably be better than Hammond. I'd much rathe bring Picks back than Hammond, I think Picks is a much more capable backup than Hammond.

Reactions: Arnusson

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
We know a few things. Both Picks and Bernier looked good as backups (Bernier stubbled a bit early) and both looked capable of playing well in the #1 role while Varly was out for short periods of time, but also showed they can't maintain this level of play over a long period of time, as they stumbled a fair bit in the starters role late in seasons.

Francouz is unproven in the NHL but has played very well against pros in the KHL for about five years now, both in the regular season and playoffs, and has looked good in international competitions as well.

Given those things, and his one way contract, I think Francouz has the inside track for the backup role. The #3 role should be someone who's proven as a decent backup in the NHL, but might be willing to start in the AHL if he can't convincingly beat out Francouz. That fits Picakrd to a tee IMO. Unless he finds a team willing to offer him a better shot at the backup role.

Unfortunately, I don't see how Hammond fits into the Avs picture. I don't think he's anywhere near as qualified to fill in or steal the NHL backup role as someone like Pickard or Bernier, and I doubt they go with two vets in Loveland.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I honestly don’t want Hammond back. I appreciate what he did for us this season and he’d probably be a fine #3 but not for us. With the unknown of Francouz I’d want a higher quality option if possible. I mean if Francouz ends up busting do we really want Hammond to take over as the backup? Hard pass.

Reactions: McMetal

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
This kid is a gun from all reports. What a pick up ! Avs, doing Avs again - amazing.

BUT.

I hope it's not an indication Bernier's not coming back. My lord I love this guy. Jiggy was my all time favorite back-up Avs ever had, but Bernier is / was certainly close.

Reactions: MacBradley

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
IMO I think it would be. If we have a strong off-season I think the goal should be to make it beyond the first round of the playoffs next season.

I dont think so at all. We'll have to see but I would bet a lot of money it's much more likely this team regresses to being just outside the playoff picture, then it is that they take another big step forward to the point of actually winning a first round series.

And especially going in with the expectation of that kind of season is asking for failure IMO. We're still the youngest team in the league and a massive number of core players for this team are still quite inexperienced and developing.

I think we're at least 1 more year from actually going into a season with the expectations of winning a round of playoff hockey.

*Unless we go out and sign a Tavares or maybe Stastny this summer. IF we got Tavares then yes absolutely we should be capable of winning a playoff matchup as soon as next season. And maybe with Stastny. But otherwise just making playoffs again would be a successful season. The young guys on this team still need another year or so of learning before really being able to take that step forward.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I dont think so at all. We'll have to see but I would bet a lot of money it's much more likely this team regresses to being just outside the playoff picture, then it is that they take another big step forward to the point of actually winning a first round series.

And especially going in with the expectation of that kind of season is asking for failure IMO. We're still the youngest team in the league and a massive number of core players for this team are still quite inexperienced and developing.

I think we're at least 1 more year from actually going into a season with the expectations of winning a round of playoff hockey.

*Unless we go out and sign a Tavares or maybe Stastny this summer. IF we got Tavares then yes absolutely we should be capable of winning a playoff matchup as soon as next season. And maybe with Stastny. But otherwise just making playoffs again would be a successful season. The young guys on this team still need another year or so of learning before really being able to take that step forward.

I'll say this.. We won't be going into any season expecting shit if we don't figure out our starter for the next years. It's a damn big deal this year between Varly proving he can play a full season consistently and this Czech proving hes an NHL starter. I f***ing hope both happens honestly, so that we can profit from it.

No team does jack shit without a consistent starter. If there is one thing that gives me promise with the French Man.. It's that hes proven he can play good in the regular, but is at his best in tight playoff/tournament situations. Which is something the best Russian goalies in the world haven't proven capable of doing yet, and the one who has a chance isn't on our f***ing team.

I love Varly, but I'm also tired of the let down. Hes got one more season to prove to me that he belongs as part of a contender/playoff team IMO. I'll back Varly for one more go, that's it. Let's just say I don't trust him right now, but I'm hopeful.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
For those of you clamoring to dump Varly and replace him, I want to know who you're advocating to replace him with? Which bonafide NHL starters are available?
I think most people here would want the avs to go and acquire a ready-to-go prospect.

Saros
Jarry
Samsonov
Sorokin

At least that’s the type I’d look for.

But I’d also be ok trading for a more legit starter like Gibson or Holtby.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think most people here would want the avs to go and acquire a ready-to-go prospect.

Saros
Jarry
Samsonov
Sorokin

None of those "ready to go" players would be available in a trade. Saros is the heir apparent to Rinne, who is getting old. Sorokin is the Isles only hope for a starter. Samsonov is the Caps next big project in goal, and Jarry is going to be needed in Pittsburgh because Murray is injury prone. There just aren't any young goalies available for trade.

Reactions: VikingAv

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
In varlamov’s defense, he played very solid in the playoffs for Washington. And he was decent in 13-14 playoffs. Just not Vezina good like he was in the regular season

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
None of those "ready to go" players would be available in a trade. Saros is the heir apparent to Rinne, who is getting old. Sorokin is the Isles only hope for a starter. Samsonov is the Caps next big project in goal, and Jarry is going to be needed in Pittsburgh because Murray is injury prone. There just aren't any young goalies available for trade.

Sorokin is reportedly not going to sign with the Islanders as long as Snow is there. Jarry got leapt over by DeSmith. Saros and Samsonov aren't going anywhere but a guy like Holtby might easily become available depending on what happens in these playoffs. Not to mention there are guys like Hutchinson, Rittich, Gillies...goalies are constantly moving around in this league and if there's one thing I'd like to be proactive about besides the 2C hole, it's avoiding being forced into re-signing a bandaid in Varlamov because everyone else found a dance partner while we sat back and prayed for it to be 2014 again.

I'm good with going with relative unknowns in goal as long as there's potential there. There's no potential with Varlamov unless you buy into the delusion that he's going to start replicating a single season from 4 years ago and sustain that level of play. He is what he is: inconsistent with a few high peaks and riddled with injuries.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Sorokin is reportedly not going to sign with the Islanders as long as Snow is there. Jarry got leapt over by DeSmith. Saros and Samsonov aren't going anywhere but a guy like Holtby might easily become available depending on what happens in these playoffs. Not to mention there are guys like Hutchinson, Rittich, Gillies...goalies are constantly moving around in this league and if there's one thing I'd like to be proactive about besides the 2C hole, it's avoiding being forced into re-signing a bandaid in Varlamov because everyone else found a dance partner while we sat back and prayed for it to be 2014 again.

I'm good with going with relative unknowns in goal as long as there's potential there. There's no potential with Varlamov unless you buy into the delusion that he's going to start replicating a single season from 4 years ago and sustain that level of play. He is what he is: inconsistent with a few high peaks and riddled with injuries.
I think that's a gross exaggeration regarding Varlamov. For one, he doesn't have to be a Vezina level goalie to be effective. His .920 sv% this year was just above league average, which is fine for a starter. You don't need to be a Vezina nominee to win a cup, as Antii Niemi clearly shows. He was good enough to give us a chance to win in a lot of important games in March down the stretch, without which we would never have sniffed the playoffs.

As for the injuries, aside from the one groin problem in the middle of the year, he only missed games because of the flu in November and getting run over by a player at the end of the year, both of which could have happened to literally any goalie in the league. He also played in something like 25 games in a row, which is an ironman feat of durability that few goalies could have accomplished, much less while playing well. He was literally pitching a shutout in the last game that he left after Jurco landed on his leg.

Varly's injury troubles this year have been overstated by a lot of people this year. I understand being gun-shy about his groin, but he deserves another year with a solid backup to see whether we can conceivably extend him.

Reactions: Pure and Nzap

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I don't want Vezina-caliber goaltending. In fact, I want the exact opposite of a goalie that has to play 25 games in a row while making insane saves on 50 shots against because that's the way we're playing. I want stability and a goalie who thrives under low event play in front of him. I want to not have to plan around our #1 goalie's yearly injuries. Just the fact that the groin pull reoccured after we were promised a full recovery from his miracle surgery is a major concern.

Goalies get injured; it's a part of the game. But not every goalie has been dealing with the same nagging injury that could be re-aggravated by the simple movements of being a goalie. I literally don't care about the Jurco injury or the flu or whatever; the team should not have to play in front of a goalie they can't trust to stay healthy.

There's a difference between having bad luck with injuries, like Johnson (though I suspect that will become the same sort of problem within the next few years) or being predisposed to the same injury which affects the way you play the game. You have to live with the bad luck guy if the benefits of him in the lineup outweigh the injuries. But if you know it's only a matter of time before the predisposed guy is going to go through the same injury again, it just isn't worth those good stretches, especially when you have to juggle the rest of the goalie pipeline to accommodate the risk.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I don't want Vezina-caliber goaltending. In fact, I want the exact opposite of a goalie that has to play 25 games in a row while making insane saves on 50 shots against because that's the way we're playing. I want stability and a goalie who thrives under low event play in front of him. I want to not have to plan around our #1 goalie's yearly injuries. Just the fact that the groin pull reoccured after we were promised a full recovery from his miracle surgery is a major concern.

Goalies get injured; it's a part of the game. But not every goalie has been dealing with the same nagging injury that could be re-aggravated by the simple movements of being a goalie. I literally don't care about the Jurco injury or the flu or whatever; the team should not have to play in front of a goalie they can't trust to stay healthy.

There's a difference between having bad luck with injuries, like Johnson (though I suspect that will become the same sort of problem within the next few years) or being predisposed to the same injury which affects the way you play the game. You have to live with the bad luck guy if the benefits of him in the lineup outweigh the injuries. But if you know it's only a matter of time before the predisposed guy is going to go through the same injury again, it just isn't worth those good stretches, especially when you have to juggle the rest of the goalie pipeline to accommodate the risk.
I just think you are wildly overreacting. The 25 game stretch was out of necessity, because his BACKUP was hurt and they didn't trust their #3 at all.

And also, what games in March were you watching where we gave up 50+ shots?

Minnesota: 26
Nashville: 31
Chicago: 27
Columbus: 44
Arizona: 28
Minnesota: 34
St. Louis: 45
Nashville: 28
Detroit: 38
Chicago: 45
LA: 35
Vegas: 40
Vegas: 35

Are you just in a fog remembering the miracle year? We no longer need that kind of superhuman performance from him night in, night out. It seems like he played in a lot of sub-30 shot games and managed to pull out wins, which is exactly what you just said you wished for.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Saros
Jarry
Samsonov
Sorokin

Not only are they not available... But seriously not one of those guys is any bit more of a better option then what we just went out and signed in Francouz.

Neither Sorokin or Samsonov have played a single game in the NHL yet and both have worse stats in the KHL then what Francoz offers. Yes they're younger and perhaps more prolific players because of draft pedigree, but especially in goaltending that stuff really does not matter at all.

And Saros and Jarry have experience playing in the NHL, but neither have the experience of being a starting goalie in the NHL or hell even at the pro leagues in general. Jarry started 45 games last year in the AHL and Saros has a high of 38 games in the AHL 2 years ago.

Francouz has 3 straight seasons in the Top Czech league playing 45+ games. And he has 2 straight years in the KHL playing 36 and then 47 games. He's well rehearsed in the heavier work loads of being a #1 Goalie, and has put up elite numbers every year in those roles.

Honestly, right now Francouz has as good of a chance(I argue better) as any one of those goalies listed, to become a starting #1 Goalie in the NHL. He doesn't have the popularity or the name sake of those guys because he went undrafted and he's older then them. But he has elite numbers and multiple years in different leagues as the go to #1 guy on teams.

The only question is whether his game can translate to the NHL, the same questions these other young goalies we talk about acquiring face as well.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The goalie market is weak and the promising guys are either untouchable or overpriced. Would love to have Holtby replace Varlamov but once again the ask is probably too high, if he even is available. Therefore, signing someone like Pavel is a good call. I assume that he will be the number 2 which is definitely risky, so we do need solid goaltending in the AHL.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Joe is going to fix our goalie pipeline in two summers:

2018:
-Sign the Frenchman
-Sign Pickard to be our #3
-Draft Skarek at #62
-Late round flyer on a Euro

2019:
-Sign Cale Morris
-Draft Goalie in the 3rd
-Late round flyer on a Euro

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Obviously a decision has to be made regarding Varly, but I certainly don’t see them dumping him before the puck even drops in October. I’m hoping he stays the whole year because I imagine if he’s dealt at the deadline the Avs won’t be having a good year at that point. Come what may after that.

kchan9

Oct 7, 2010
Judging from the video, he plays really deep in his net (kinda like Lundqvist) but had some nice saves from shots in the slot

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I've just read the entire thread. I'm happy about this signing, but I think the majority of you are over-hyping this to a large degree. First off, as several people have pointed out, KHL goalies as a whole put up great numbers, so you can't just look at his numbers and judge how good he is. Second, if the translated quotes from him are accurate, he mentioned that he liked how close the AHL and NHL teams are here - that tells me he's open to playing in the AHL, and maybe that's even where Sakic told him he's going to start.

Everyone seems to recognize that potential 3rd goalies around the league like Pickard are going to recognize that they'll have a good shot at the NHL given Varly's injury history. So why can't that apply to Francouz? Maybe he is that 3rd string guy we've all been hoping for and Bernier is going to come back as our #2. I certainly hope that's the case, because as lovely as it is to hope that this guy will be good, history shows that there's a very good chance he won't be NHL calible for one reason or another.

Basically, back the hype train up a bit and don't wave goodbye to Bernier so quickly.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00