Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Czech goalie Pavel Francouz (1 year)

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
My choices as #3 goalie would be Hutchinson, Pickard or Cale Morris in no specific order...well maybe Morris first.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I say bring back Picks! Morris is unlikely to sign a NHL deal this year.
I think you are right about Morris. He would have probably signed with a team by now although it is still early.

Picks really liked it here and now that the AHL team is here as well he could be with his buddies even though he wouldn't be on the same team. He is also very well aware of Varly's health issues so those two things could certainly influence his decision. As far as the Avs are concerned they know what they are getting in Picks so they would probably feel comfortable with him as #3.

Reactions: MacBradley

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
It’s hard to be so blunt about Bernier like this. Yes, he was bad in the playoffs, and bad for a large part of the season. But if he didn’t step up on that 10 game win streak, the season would have crashed and burned midway through like the previous year. I’m glad they won’t be re-signing him, but he was well worth bringing in just for that 10 game win streak alone.
The way I look at it is if Bernier, plays somewhat decently during the rest of his starts we probably don't have to go on a 10 game winning streak because we would have won a few more of his other starts.

The fact is he didn't really give his best effort this year outside of those 10 games and that really rubbed me the wrong way. And the playoffs was absolutely poor. He couldn't stop a beach ball against Nashville. He can go be a C level backup elsewhere.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Curious...is there any significance in the salary? Why would they pay him $690,000 and not $700,000? I understand with averages it happens often but for only one year it is a weird number. Does getting $700,000 bring other benefit(s) that I don't know about? Again just curious.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The way I look at it is if Bernier, plays somewhat decently during the rest of his starts we probably don't have to go on a 10 game winning streak because we would have won a few more of his other starts.

The fact is he didn't really give his best effort this year outside of those 10 games and that really rubbed me the wrong way. And the playoffs was absolutely poor. He couldn't stop a beach ball against Nashville. He can go be a C level backup elsewhere.
I think you are being way too rough on Bernier. He did not do that bad outside those 10 games. And besides don't forget that he was not even practicing with the team during the playoffs due to a minor injuries.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I think you are being way too rough on Bernier. He did not do that bad outside those 10 games. And besides don't forget that he was not even practicing with the team during the playoffs due to a minor injuries.
His sub .900sv% outside of those 10 games is truly pathetic in this day and age of the NHL.

And if he was injured in the playoffs he shouldn't have played. He hurt us more than helped us if that's the case. It's one thing to have skaters play through some stuff in the playoffs but hurt goalies don't help you. At least Hammond was healthy and could have given 100%.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Curious...is there any significance in the salary? Why would they pay him $690,000 and not $700,000? I understand with averages it happens often but for only one year it is a weird number. Does getting $700,000 bring other benefit(s) that I don't know about? Again just curious.

It's a very nice salary.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
His sub .900sv% outside of those 10 games is truly pathetic in this day and age of the NHL.

And if he was injured in the playoffs he shouldn't have played. He hurt us more than helped us if that's the case. It's one thing to have skaters play through some stuff in the playoffs but hurt goalies don't help you. At least Hammond was healthy and could have given 100%.

Lol that's such a piss poor way of looking at it though.

I'm sure if you excluded every goalie in the leagues hottest stretch of the season, they would have numbers that dont exactly look great.

You're also seriously out of whack with the evaluation of other goalies. You realize goal scoring was up significantly this year across the entire league right?

This year among goalies, 17 guys with 10+ games played had a sv% that was .902 or below. Last year, only 11 had numbers that low.

In fact, using that .900 marker that you've chose, only 7 goalies were below it in 16/17. While this year 14 different guys were below that number.

The league sv% in general was down quite a bit this year compared to last year. Bernier's numbers as a back up that was asked to be a starter for extended times over the season are perfectly reasonable compared to his peers.

You're being way too harsh on him and always have. This nonsense about taking away a guys best streak of the year is ridiculous, but I guess you have to use that in order for it to fit your narrative really.

Outside of the winning streak, Bernier had an .898 sv% in his remaining games. Take out the last 9 games Varlamov played for us as well(His best stretch as a starter), and his sv% jumps down from a .920 to a .912.

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Bernier is what he's always been, a hot and cold guy who's a good backup and can carry a starter load for a bit, but not consistent enough to be a full time #1. As part of a tandem, he'll probably be OK, and I'm sure somebody is going to want him for that. I guess Sakic is looking for a longer term solution.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

More often than not you would be right if you are talking about your #1 and #2 goalies but in this case we are talking #2 and #3 goalies. Obviously they felt more comfortable using a less than 100% #2 than the 100% #3. We don't have the full story.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
No problems with Bernier, here. He is what he is, a number 2 goalie. I don’t think we get to the playoffs without him, though

I like the idea of rolling the dice with Paul, though....

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Gives them an extra $10k to spend on lost jockstraps from Avs defenseman going against MacKinnon in practice.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

I think you're too hard on Bernier. Perfect for a backup role, but the constant Varly injuries forced him to play more than he expected. Playoffs, he seemed hurt or ongoing concussion symptoms. Without his play this season, AVs would have been a lottery team. Would like to have him return, but his strong play likely priced himself off the team or seeking a FT role.

Reactions: Bender

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

It's not that he got his head banged against the post and suffered from PCS. This view of Bernier is hot take to the max.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad