Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 17-18 Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Morrisey and Myers have been good for Jets, while Trouba has not been putting up the same numbers that he did last year. Winnipeg will need to sign Laine. At this point I am not even sure what Trouba is looking for. Long term deal should be signed by now or in a very near future. If Sakic has a chance to make a deal for him, then go a head Sakic, you got my vote. Trade Landy or Barrie and include a mediocre pick and prospect to get us that #1 D man that will want to play big minutes on our top line that Jets previously denied him. Sakic is smart enough to make a move. He has been an awesome GM lately and I hope that he can pull off another deal to get us that #1 dman.
There is just no way that Jets will get a crazy good offer back if Trouba just does not want to play for Jets. That is why Avs have a chance to make a deal.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Morrisey and Myers have been good for Jets, while Trouba has not been putting up the same numbers that he did last year. Winnipeg will need to sign Laine. At this point I am not even sure what Trouba is looking for. Long term deal should be signed by now or in a very near future. If Sakic has a chance to make a deal for him, then go a head Sakic, you got my vote. Trade Landy or Barrie and include a mediocre pick and prospect to get us that #1 D man that will want to play big minutes on our top line that Jets previously denied him. Sakic is smart enough to make a move. He has been an awesome GM lately and I hope that he can pull off another deal to get us that #1 dman.
There is just no way that Jets will get a crazy good offer back if Trouba just does not want to play for Jets. That is why Avs have a chance to make a deal.

If I were to guess, given his contract history, he's probably looking for a huge contract. 7 years, $6.5-7 million per.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
If slavin was offered straight up you'd decline?

No, obviously not.

I'd move Makar in an instant for all of those guys straight up pretty much(Except maybe Suter and Keith because of age).

But that's silly to even discuss as those teams are never going to do that 1 for 1.

But I would easily prefer to keep Makar++ over Slavin. The ++ would have to be significant pieces and at that point I'd just rather keep Makar instead.

Reactions: Pokecheque

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
You are against it then since Zadorov + lots is still not enough. No more half measures. I’m really surprised the posters here wouldn’t try everything they could to bring in a #1 LHD, when was the last time Colorado had one? Unless I’m forgetting somebody, I think Suter was the last one available. These guys don’t come around often at all. I also think we need a more defensive oriented coach. My wish list is 1. Tippet (to go along with OEL) 2. Sutter and a distant third of Iron Mike. I know Tippett has a bad reputation all over hfboards but I think he’s so underrated. Should give OEL more incentive to sign as well since I believe they got along great, obviously OEL had great success in his system.

I want a coach that’s going to beat defencive awareness into this team. If I was the GM I’d tell Tippett to take his Arizona system and tighten it up. Give me Jacques Lamaire, boring, squeeze blood out of a rock, hockey.

OEL is a decade older than Makar and his play has dipped the last two seasons. I’m leaving my arguement against it at that.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
If I were to guess, given his contract history, he's probably looking for a huge contract. 7 years, $6.5-7 million per.

Yeah, that's what Trouba will want. A 7 year, 6 to 7M for a year contract. Sakic is smart enough of a GM now with the experience that he now has. The only question remains is the trade chips that we will have to give up for him. Trouba for Barrie or Landy, plus pick and a decent prospect or something in those lines. You have to remember that most teams wont be able to sign Trouba due to the cap space and most of the teams are not in the position to give up assets and sign a major deal contract like Trouba asks at the same time. Sakic needs to take advatage to land a #1 D man, even if it will cost him greatly. This kind of deal trading for #1 dman will take this franchise to be a contender the following year, together with Jost, Makar and others.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
Makar is not Karlsson and he very likely never will be. He was a 4th in a poor draft year and is not having the college career so far to suggest he’s much better than everybody thought. Not that he’s been bad, he’s actually been playing well, but Heiskanen has been better this year and mcavoy was better last year. If Makar is Karlsson I don’t know what those guys are. EJ is playing okay as a 1D on a bad defence but on a cup champion EJ would not be the best defenceman. Also, both Makar and EJ are RHD, I know Makar said he likes the left side but in the nhl coaches really don’t like that. It’s also important to remember that by the time Makar becomes a 1D (if he ever does) EJ will not be good enough to be on a top pairing anymore. His game doesn’t look like one to me that will age well.

Do you even watch him or just make stuff up as you go??

Colorado Avalanche Prospect Cale Makar Adding Value to UMass

3d79f7f0cf519629b0190abb820cf359
by Nadia Archuleta2w ago
Colorado Avalanche prospect Cale Makar is impressing in the world of college hockey with his play at UMass.

The Colorado Avalanche chose defenseman Cale Makar fourth-overall in the 2017 NHL draft. Even before the draft, Makar had committed to playing at the University of Massachusetts Amherst for the 2017-18 season, and he was adamant about that decision all through the draft process.
“He’s an elite player. He’s the best player on the ice.” ~UMass coach Greg Carvel
It’s hard to say whether that influenced certain teams’ decisions earlier on in the draft — I’m looking at the Dallas Stars, who stole away Miro Heiskenan. However, the Avalanche seemed content to let Makar develop for at least a year in the college system.
It worked out well for them last year, when center Tyson Jost got a year of seasoning with the University of North Dakota, less well for them after Will Butcher fled into free agency after completing his DU degree. But now we have a Harvard grad in Alexander Kerfoot, so water under the bridge.
In any case, offensive defenseman Cale Makar has been doing well with his UMass Minutemen. He’s played six games with UMass — three home and three away. He doesn’t have any goals yet, but he’s recorded three assists.
Before heading to UMass, Makar talked a little bit about what he wanted to work on concerning his game:

“I want to round out my game, but not take away from the offensive side of my game. There’s a few flaws in my defensive zone that I need to work on but nothing major that I think is going to hold me back from playing in the NHL.”
Makar isn’t known for playing a physical style of hockey. However, in his eight games, he’s recorded eight blocked shots. (And, yes, we’re all hoping he doesn’t get injured doing it, but blocking shots is part of hockey.)
What’s more, he came out strong in his debut with the Minutemen, who recorded a 3-1 over AIC in their opening night game. Makar’s head coach, Greg Carvel, complimented the freshman defenseman:

“He’s an elite player. He’s the best player on the ice. He’s the youngest player, he’s physical, he’s quick, he’s competitive, he plays with an edge, he has high-end hockey IQ, he’s a good teammate, he’s the whole package. It’s really impressive to see.”
The opponent head coach, AIC’s Eric Lang, was equally impressed:
“Scary. He gets the puck and you can tense up a little bit and you can feel the crowd’s emotion … He’s a special player.”

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Didn't want to clog up your main threads. And hey by all means you can simply pm me instead of replying. It's a fantasy related question though. Just looking for an opinion on how Landy has played this year. How's his growth from past years to this one. It's a dynasty type league, so those that aren't familiar with the style you keep the entire roster of players year to year.

That stuff aside. Wish you guys the best going forward. Whether that's squeaking into the post-season or landing a top3 pick, that's up to the hockey gods. Cheers.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
OEL is a decade older than Makar and his play has dipped the last two seasons. I’m leaving my arguement against it at that.
OEL is 26, which is prime years for a defenseman. I can't believe everybody is talking about him like he's some old man out there. Defensemen have later prime years than forwards, and elite ones like OEL can be a force until they're 33. If he's available, I would absolutely move Makar for him, we could only hope that Makar becomes what OEL already is. And by the time he does, MacKinnon and Landeskog will be in the twilight of their primes and likely sick of building.

I get that everybody wants to hoard prospects and grow them together, but you can't do that forever. Eventually you have to consolidate assets, and the Avs are very near the point where that is a necessity, as we have logjams at both forward and defense. So moving futures for a guy who is a proven elite piece isn't a radical move. It's a logical and necessary step towards building a contender after drafting well for a few years, and an all around two-way force like OEL would instantly make this roster competitive, and with a real coach, a cup contender in just a couple years.

That's why OEL would probably re-up with us too. This forward group plus him would no longer be building towards anything. It would be built. He could spend the rest of his prime with a hotshot young forward core and backed up by a group of D that includes EJ (finally working as a #2), Barrie, Girard, Nemeth, Lindholm, Zadorov, Bigras, and Meloche.

The only piece I consider untouchable for OEL is our '18 first rounder, because not dipping into the riches of this draft would be a major loss. But just imagine adding Tkachuk, Zadina, Kupari, Kotkaniemi or hockey gods willing Svechnikov to this roster plus OEL and tell me that team doesn't have a cup window open soon.

Reactions: Eltuna

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Again, the Coyotes absolutely WILL NOT trade Oliver Ekman-Larsson unless he tells them he ain't re-signing. There's no indication that's happening, maybe that changes after this disastrous season is over for them, but there's no guarantee. That's the only scenario I see them doing it. They didn't trade for Stepan and Hjalmarsson just to pull the plug again a year later.

For now, this will be the closest you can get to OEL (warning, link is a bit NSFW).

Reactions: agentblack

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Do you even watch him or just make stuff up as you go??

Colorado Avalanche Prospect Cale Makar Adding Value to UMass

3d79f7f0cf519629b0190abb820cf359
by Nadia Archuleta2w ago
Colorado Avalanche prospect Cale Makar is impressing in the world of college hockey with his play at UMass.

The Colorado Avalanche chose defenseman Cale Makar fourth-overall in the 2017 NHL draft. Even before the draft, Makar had committed to playing at the University of Massachusetts Amherst for the 2017-18 season, and he was adamant about that decision all through the draft process.
“He’s an elite player. He’s the best player on the ice.” ~UMass coach Greg Carvel
It’s hard to say whether that influenced certain teams’ decisions earlier on in the draft — I’m looking at the Dallas Stars, who stole away Miro Heiskenan. However, the Avalanche seemed content to let Makar develop for at least a year in the college system.
It worked out well for them last year, when center Tyson Jost got a year of seasoning with the University of North Dakota, less well for them after Will Butcher fled into free agency after completing his DU degree. But now we have a Harvard grad in Alexander Kerfoot, so water under the bridge.
In any case, offensive defenseman Cale Makar has been doing well with his UMass Minutemen. He’s played six games with UMass — three home and three away. He doesn’t have any goals yet, but he’s recorded three assists.
Before heading to UMass, Makar talked a little bit about what he wanted to work on concerning his game:

“I want to round out my game, but not take away from the offensive side of my game. There’s a few flaws in my defensive zone that I need to work on but nothing major that I think is going to hold me back from playing in the NHL.”
Makar isn’t known for playing a physical style of hockey. However, in his eight games, he’s recorded eight blocked shots. (And, yes, we’re all hoping he doesn’t get injured doing it, but blocking shots is part of hockey.)
What’s more, he came out strong in his debut with the Minutemen, who recorded a 3-1 over AIC in their opening night game. Makar’s head coach, Greg Carvel, complimented the freshman defenseman:

“He’s an elite player. He’s the best player on the ice. He’s the youngest player, he’s physical, he’s quick, he’s competitive, he plays with an edge, he has high-end hockey IQ, he’s a good teammate, he’s the whole package. It’s really impressive to see.”
The opponent head coach, AIC’s Eric Lang, was equally impressed:
“Scary. He gets the puck and you can tense up a little bit and you can feel the crowd’s emotion … He’s a special player.”

This proves nothing. I could find similar articles on how yakapov will razzle dazzle nhl defenseman on route to 50 goals or how Reinhart is a sure bet top 4 d because of his smarts with a good chance of reaching top pairing. Makar is a good to great prospect, I’ve already said as much many times. Not sure why me wanting to trade him for a top 10 defenceman leaguewide (my opinion, think he’s going to explode on a new team) is me hating him. If anything it shows how much value I think he has. He’s good, but he is, in absolutely no shape or form, a can’t miss, generational, guaranteed 1D prospect like some people here seem to think. Heiskanen is better from the same draft, at least for now, Mcavoy was better last year in college (so far), in 2016 Makar might have been a 10th overall selection, no way he goes over sergachev as a dman.In 2015 it’s the same thing, no way he gets picked over the three defenceman. He’s a likely 10-12 pick in a good draft, this draft was just a perfect storm for him to gain hype and get picked high as there was a shortage of great d prospects available. The whole reason he’s playing at UMass right now is because he had zero hype at the time and the more prestigious schools didn’t show interest. He then exploded onto the scene and was a huge riser in the last half of the season. I’m not trying to destroy the kid but let’s have some perspective here. In a normal draft he’s around the 4th defenceman taken, I trade that for a 26 year old #1LHD any day of the week. Keith hadn’t even won his first cup at OEL’s age and he’s still going strong 8 years later. Lidstrom still had years to go before he won his first Norris. Trading for a dman that is 26 years old is the furthest thing from going for it. Makar would have to become absolutely amazing for it to backfire.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
We are finally starting to rebuild the correct way...what the team has lacked at the NHL level - modern puck-moving defenders who tilt the ice offensively and two-way forwards who are intelligent and defensively responsible - well those are the two areas we are now overflowing with great prospects in. Not all these youngsters are going to pan out and make it but the depth and competition is going to be great for this franchise moving forward.

We still need MacKinnon and/or Rantanen to step up into that alpha star role. MacK may never satisfy people...he has what 10 points in his last 5 games and people were still complaining that he should be traded after the Ottawa series. And you can say, with some logic, that's where our rebuild falls short of a Matthews-fueled rebuild like Toronto has going. But look at Edmonton and Buffalo right now with MacDavid/Drai and Eichel/Risto - they are struggling even with alpha stars because they didn't build up enough franchise depth (yet).

I do not think grouping together a couple of our very best prospects + other picks + extra pieces to grab an OEL is what this franchise should do right now. Again, in a couple years when we are just stock full of young NHL players and have added even more prospects with our extra picks - then sure, if we need to take that bold step to acquire a top star who is potentially available - then absolutely. I never ever once complained about the moves PL made back in the day even though what we gave up hurt pretty much every time because the timing was absolutely appropriate to put our chips in the middle of the table. I wouldn't do it right now. We aren't getting OEL for a discount and we have to outbid a ton of other teams (plus convince Arizona to trade him in the first place) to get him. The cost will be outrageous - it will cost significantly more than we got for Duchene and most non-partisan observers thought Sakic cleaned-up quite well in that deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vaslof and LTC Pain

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
MHH is speculating that Comeau to the Islanders would make sense with Kulemin (their main PK guy) out for 6 months.
I may be wrong about this and cant place a source to it. Thinking I read it on here to be honest but I cant really remember. But something's telling me the relationship between Comeau and NYI isn't good.

Plus doesn't NYI have a tremendous PK anyway even without Kulemin? When did Kulemin take over Clutterbuck as their main pk guy

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
OEL is 26, which is prime years for a defenseman. I can't believe everybody is talking about him like he's some old man out there. Defensemen have later prime years than forwards, and elite ones like OEL can be a force until they're 33. If he's available, I would absolutely move Makar for him, we could only hope that Makar becomes what OEL already is. And by the time he does, MacKinnon and Landeskog will be in the twilight of their primes and likely sick of building.

I get that everybody wants to hoard prospects and grow them together, but you can't do that forever. Eventually you have to consolidate assets, and the Avs are very near the point where that is a necessity, as we have logjams at both forward and defense. So moving futures for a guy who is a proven elite piece isn't a radical move. It's a logical and necessary step towards building a contender after drafting well for a few years, and an all around two-way force like OEL would instantly make this roster competitive, and with a real coach, a cup contender in just a couple years.

That's why OEL would probably re-up with us too. This forward group plus him would no longer be building towards anything. It would be built. He could spend the rest of his prime with a hotshot young forward core and backed up by a group of D that includes EJ (finally working as a #2), Barrie, Girard, Nemeth, Lindholm, Zadorov, Bigras, and Meloche.

The only piece I consider untouchable for OEL is our '18 first rounder, because not dipping into the riches of this draft would be a major loss. But just imagine adding Tkachuk, Zadina, Kupari, Kotkaniemi or hockey gods willing Svechnikov to this roster plus OEL and tell me that team doesn't have a cup window open soon.

So, you’re in favor of trading Makar because Colorado “can’t hoard” prospects forever, but next years draft pick is untouchable? :skeptic:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
So, you’re in favor of trading Makar because Colorado “can’t hoard” prospects forever, but next years draft pick is untouchable? :skeptic:
I'd give up Ottawa's 1st, even our 2019 1st (which would be well out of the top 10 if we added OEL), or any other pick, but that pick has a good chance of getting a forward at least as good as Rantanen out of it. You can't pass that up.

Sooner or later we WILL have to consolidate assets for NHL players.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think Comeau eventually gets moved but it'll be at the deadline. Honestly, wouldn't shock me to see a team like the Oilers target him sooner, though. He's better than a lot of the players they have in their bottom-6 right now (Slepyshev, Pakarinen, Khaira, Letestu, Malone...wow) and their PK is downright atrocious.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I'd give up Ottawa's 1st, even our 2019 1st (which would be well out of the top 10 if we added OEL), or any other pick, but that pick has a good chance of getting a forward at least as good as Rantanen out of it. You can't pass that up.

Sooner or later we WILL have to consolidate assets for NHL players.

Unless the bottom falls out, Makar is a much better prospect than whoever the Avs will select in the 8-16 range next year...

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I suggest people to forget everything they think they know about OEL, to go watch him play for 3-4 games and then come back here to say that they want to trade the farm for him.

People who think we'd be trading for 2013 OEL are in for a rude awekening.

Reactions: cgf

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Unless the bottom falls out, Makar is a much better prospect than whoever the Avs will select in the 8-16 range next year...
For one, I disagree. I didn't see what everybody else saw in him at the draft, and I still don't see a lot of elite potential in him. I hope I'm wrong, but I really don't think he's going to be the franchise D that everybody wants him to be.

Besides, it would be 3-4 years before he actually gets there, and by then Landy and MacK will be at the tail ends of their primes. A forward from this year's draft would be ready quicker (forwards peak earlier) and OEL would be ready immediately.

Ideally, this would happen after July 1st with an extension. In essence, this is just a thought experiment since it's not likely AZ moves him, but if he were available, you bet I would move just about any future piece to get him.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I suggest people to forget everything they think they know about OEL, to go watch him play for 3-4 games and then come back here to say that they want to trade the farm for him.

People who think we'd be trading for 2013 OEL are in for a rude awekening.
And I would suggest everybody who thinks OEL isn't worth it should reflect on the ridiculous idea that a player is only as good as their last 10 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad