Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 17-18 Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah I'd want at least a 2nd for Sven, but I'd rather keep him for this season. He's a quality stop gap until the youngsters are ready. Then sell high on him next year.

Yeah, I dont think they're in a position where they have to move Sven for sure. He's a solid player for us and adds some good secondary scoring with Kerfoot right now.

I dont think I'd move him unless a team came offering a 1st rounder as part of a deal. But if someone did offer that I'd think long and hard about it.

He's really only useful in a Top 6 role or maybe Top 9 if it's a team deep enough to run 3 scoring lines. And when Jost gets back I think we'll see him in the Top 6. Kerfoot needs to be in the Top 6 right now as well.

Landy - Mack - Rants
XXX - Jost - Kerfoot
XXX - Compher - Wilson
Comeau - Sods - Nieto

That's pretty much how we look when healthy. Yak and Sven make up the two XXX's but then that leaves nowhere for Kamenev to slot in, and Sakic sounded pretty clear to me the other day when he said he wants Kamenev playing with the Avs as soon as possible.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Rather than trading our 2017 high pick (Makar) and our 2018 high pick (TBD) for 1 year of OEL, I'd rather just keep those two and build through the draft. If we manage to draft a top LD, we won't really be missing anything on defense anymore.

This is an opinion I can respect (although I’d argue with OEL, Trouba, and a new coach our days of high picks would be over, greatly lowering the value of the 2018 first. Also, calling it one year only is disingenuous, he obviously could sign a long term deal with Colorado). I think if this is your approach however, you need to also acknowledge it’s going to be a long painful process. Waiting for a 2018 draftee to fix the defence means another 5 years in the hole unless they’re exceptional, look at how long it’s taking Zadorov to become consistent. It took Jones years to become a top pairing defenceman and he was a slam dunk pick. Or how about Hanifin, could be another two years before he’s ready to man a top pairing. Morgan Rielly is another one that’s just now coming into his own as a top flight defenceman. And these are the picks that have turned out well. Not only will it take awhile, but you also better make the right pick. If you take a Reinhart or a fleury the future could look the same as it does now.

Reactions: McMetal

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I think Tampa wouldn't mind Blake Comeau. They want someone for the third line roll. Sven maybe if they want to get Johnson going. The AVS do need to make some space for Kamenev and one of Grimaldi/Greer. I know injuries happen but that's why they make a waiver wire.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think Tampa wouldn't mind Blake Comeau. They want someone for the third line roll. Sven maybe if they want to get Johnson going. The AVS do need to make some space for Kamenev and one of Grimaldi/Greer. I know injuries happen but that's why they make a waiver wire.

That's exactly what they're looking for actually. A Winger to play with Johnson. So I dont think it would be Comeau but Sven.

EDIT: Kamenev was just called up as well. Something has to give eventually, we have a tonne of healthy bodies right now on the NHL roster both at forward and Defense.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
NHL Insider trading on TSN tonight mentioned a tonne(10 to be exactly) of teams that are in the market for a forward right now.

I wonder if teams will come calling the Avs about Andrighetto at some point. 12 Points in 16 games this year after 16 in 19 games last year for us. 28 points in 35 games now is starting to become a large enough sample size to say he could be a quality, cheap Top 9(At the very least) forward for some teams over the next 2 years.

I dont think the Avs should be looking to give him away, but with the number of young guys we have who are looking to get more ice time, and Sven making just 1.4M over this year and next he could be a valuable asset to a team looking for scoring depth.

McKenzie in particular mentioned Tampa and Florida being in the market for Top 9 Wingers and I think Sven would fit on both of those teams quite well.

Question is what kind of return would be a good enough return to justify moving Sven, who's been quite good for us but maybe doesn't have a future here with the young forwards coming up? I think if Sven continues as he is, it wouldn't be unreasonable to ask for a 1st from a contender like Tampa Bay. Or at the very least a 2nd + B level prospect.

It's a risky move to trade Sven for a late 1st rounder only. With so many of our late 1st rounders, 2nd rounder busts that we had, Hishon, Seimens and now Bigras looks more and more likely to bust, it is not worth it. The longer we keep Sven around, this year or a little longer, his stock could rise up sky high.
I would not trade him for a late 1st rounder but I would certainly include him for a top young Dman or D prospect as an attractive secondary piece in the deal.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It's a risky move to trade Sven for a late 1st rounder only. With so many of our late 1st rounders, 2nd rounder busts that we had, Hishon, Seimens and now Bigras looks more and more likely to bust, it is not worth it. The longer we keep Sven around, this year or a little longer, his stock could rise up sky high.
I would not trade him for a late 1st rounder but I would certainly include him for a top young Dman or D prospect as an attractive secondary piece in the deal.

Not really, unless you think he can be an even better player then what he is now for us. But that's being completely unrealistic IMO. He wont be more then a complimentary Top 6 forward. I'd even argue he's at his highest value about right now. 29 Points in his last 35 games. I cant see him keeping anywhere close to this pace for much longer.

But with lots of teams being in the need for Offensive help, it's a great time to try and sell high on a guy like Sven.

As for your argument about 1st rounder busting. That's pretty terrible logic and I'm not even going to get into why. But the Avs have to rebuild through the draft right now and there's no better way to do it then to acquire high draft picks.

Reactions: Foppberg and cgf

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
If someone offers you a 1st round pick for Sven Andrighetto, you smile, can't believe your luck and then immediately accept while asking if the other GM has any interest in other players maybe...

He has no longterm future with this team IMO and can be replaced from within rather easily (between Jost , Yak and Kerfoot we still have plenty of smaller skilled guys wanting to play on the 2nd line). And getting a 1st for a guy that cleared waivers 12 months ago would be considered selling high I would say...

Sakic should absolutely shop Andrighetto and his cheap contract right now and see what is out there...

A good GM would exactly do that...

Reactions: cgf and agentblack

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
This is what I'd like to see with Compher and Jost back and Kamenev in the fold...I know, I know it breaks up the top line but with Compher back I'd love to see him and Landy form the backbone of an all-weather, do everything second line and it's the perfect place to stick Jost to get him some high quality ice time but also shield him a bit with two very responsible players.

If Kamenev is really ready and the real deal (which of course we don't know for sure) you could also envision starting to create a third-line with both some two-way ability and scoring touch (stick Yak in place of Wilson if you want to load up offensively a bit more).

Ghetto/Kerfoot-MacK-Rants
Landy-Compher-Jost
Kerfoot/Ghetto-Kamenev-Wilson/Yak
Nieto-Soda-Comeau

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
No, his value will almost certainly never exceed a late 1st in this draft. That's incredible value and I would take that from a contender 100 times out of 100. Combine that with Ottawa's pick and you could trade down for somebody slated to go higher. Or just use it, in this draft a pick between 20-30 will net the equivalent of a mid teens player from 2017.

Trading for any draft pick is risky, but that doesn't mean you never do it. Add in the fact that we got Ghetto in trade for a 4th liner that we signed as a UFA, turning that into a 1st would be a stroke of genius by Sakic.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If someone offers you a 1st round pick for Sven Andrighetto, you smile, can't believe your luck and then immediately accept while asking if the other GM has any interest in other players maybe...

He has no longterm future with this team IMO and can be replaced from within rather easily (between Jost , Yak and Kerfoot we still have plenty of smaller skilled guys wanting to play on the 2nd line). And getting a 1st for a guy that cleared waivers 12 months ago would be considered selling high I would say...

That's a no-brainer. Don't think he'd fetch anything like that though.

Sven's been a perfectly good complementary scoring winger for the Avs, despite his many flaws his production has been fantastic thus far. But yes, I don't think the Avs see him as a long-term option. Regardless that trade was highway robbery of the highest order, even if he were to stop playing tomorrow.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah, I dont even think it's unreasonable to suggest Ghetto could get a 1st rounder either.

29 Points in 35 games with us. That's a 68 point pace over almost half a season of games now.

He's also not a rental, he's signed next year as well for just 1.4M. For a Cup contending team like Tampa, being able to get a super cheap Top 9 forward who's capable of 45-50 points in an 82 game season at such a small cap hit would be worth a 1st likely to be in the 28-31 range IMO.

If not a 1st he absolutely would return a 2nd + Prospect which is still a deal you have to make if you're Sakic.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Maybe you guys are correct on this one. I forgot about Kerfoot, Compher and Jost...they all have top 2 line potential. Ghetto has been an amazing player. I like his work ethic and close to a point per game of scoring on this horrible team might attract teams that need top 9...almost a point per game player.

After thinking things over, i would not mind a 3rd 1st rounder for him. I just hope that Sakic does not read this forum. He would really think that we fans are Bipolar.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think this year might be the best time to move Andrighetto. I think he's raised his stock a fair bit since last year, and I get the impression we might have seen his peak already.

He's got some bad puck management habits that rear their head every once in a while. That and other aspects of his game make me think there could be a prolonged slump, or a series of bad games that could land him in the doghouse, and sink his value.

I don't know if they can get a 1st for him (that should be a no brainer yes to that trade) but they should be able to get something decent. I don't see a long term fit for him with Jost, Compher, and Kerfoot on the team.

I'd look to try and move him around the deadline, but I wouldn't wait too long, because I don't think he's established himself enough to prevent the market from falling out on him at the deadline either, if he's playing poorly.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
That's a no-brainer. Don't think he'd fetch anything like that though.

Sven's been a perfectly good complementary scoring winger for the Avs, despite his many flaws his production has been fantastic thus far. But yes, I don't think the Avs see him as a long-term option. Regardless that trade was highway robbery of the highest order, even if he were to stop playing tomorrow.

That's 2 highway robbery's by Sakic already. That would be awesome if he could do another one with our core player, our captain Landy and come up with a similar deal to what we got for Duchene. Then trading Ghetto for a late 1st rounder or a 2nd rounder and another decent prospect would be amazing.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
BTW let's relax a bit on Bigras, okay. WAY too early to tell on him right now.

FTR his numbers are actually markedly better than Lindholm's, and I actually think Lindholm has done a better job of passing the eye test by far.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
A GM would be nuts to trade a first for someone with such a short track record

I would not say that the other GM would be nuts by trading Sven for a late 1st rounder. It could make a team like Tampa even more likely to win a cup with Sven in their lineup and make it worth while. Other GM's might have all other pieces in place and would need a 2nd, 3rd line player like Sven.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Both Cammalleri and Jokinen are looking very old this year. With Oilers using Letestu on the PP, might be worth a shot for them.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
A couple years from now (when Ghetto will be a FA):

Lando - MacK - Rantanen
____ - Jost - Compher
Kerfoot - ____ - ____
(I assume Soderberg will be traded by then)

I think we need to see what else we have waiting in the wings (pun unintended) before talking about trading Ghetto. He could be quite important in our future. 1) He has been a 60+ point player for us so far, in each season. 2) He has a great shot which is something we lack in the lineup. 3) He will still be an RFA at the end of this contract and age wise fits great with the team. 4) It's not like we are loaded down the wing with youngsters. 5) With these proven players already being good defensively, and most our better youngsters being good defensively as well, then having a pure offensive guy, or even two isn't a big deal. He fits that way as well.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
A couple years from now (when Ghetto will be a FA):

Lando - MacK - Rantanen
____ - Jost - Compher
Kerfoot - ____ - ____
(I assume Soderberg will be traded by then)

I think we need to see what else we have waiting in the wings (pun unintended) before talking about trading Ghetto. He could be quite important in our future. 1) He has been a 60+ point player for us so far, in each season. 2) He has a great shot which is something we lack in the lineup. 3) He will still be an RFA at the end of this contract and age wise fits great with the team. 4) It's not like we are loaded down the wing with youngsters. 5) With these proven players already being good defensively, and most our better youngsters being good defensively as well, then having a pure offensive guy, or even two isn't a big deal. He fits that way as well.

Isn't he also one of the few shoot first guys we have left? I know Compher and Jost are fairly balanced and somehow Kerfoot is goals lately, but we do need Ghetto right now. I'm not against moving him at the TDL for the right deal though.

I just looked it up, and somehow EJ is leading the team in shots lol. It goes ; EJ, MacK, Landy (nice to see), Barrie, Mikko, Ghetto, Yak. Also who the hell would have predicted Kerfoot leading the team with 7 goals on 20 shots.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I don't see Sakic trading Andrighetto. I'm not saying he shouldn't, I would but I just don't think he will feel the need to make that move unless another GM approaches him about it with a great offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia