Around the League - 2023/24

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
I also got into MMA/UFC because it's on ESPN+. Even the big events get on put on for viewing a couple weeks after the PPV events.

Although, I truly respect the athletes, I still can't help but feel some mixed emotions about being a fan when we know enough about repeated head blows to know that receiving them regularly can lead to debilitating and sometimes deadly outcomes. Anyone else feel that way about MMA or boxing?
Nope. Free will. As long as they are aware of the risks who am I to deny them their dreams

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom

Stankoven the AHL rookie of the year despite being with the Stars the last two months. As much as I hate that he went to the Stars it’s probably the best thing for him. Quite a few teams might’ve had him in the NHL last year but Stars were deep enough and Gaglardi had the incentive to keep him with the Blazers for the Memorial Cup. That extra year and the slow lineup integration this year has been big for his development

Edit: Just sneaking in there with 24 regular season games this year so it looks like he’ll be eligible for Calder consideration next year

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
This was seriously the worst Calder race I can remember. Guys were injured, stuck on teams that were abominably coached/managed, or in the case of Adam Fantilli, both.

It probably should be Faber, but it'll likely be Bedard.
Faber seemed to cool off towards then end but man what he did with his rookie season was really, really solid. He'd have my vote.

Reactions: Pokecheque

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I also got into MMA/UFC because it's on ESPN+. Even the big events get on put on for viewing a couple weeks after the PPV events.

Although, I truly respect the athletes, I still can't help but feel some mixed emotions about being a fan when we know enough about repeated head blows to know that receiving them regularly can lead to debilitating and sometimes deadly outcomes. Anyone else feel that way about MMA or boxing?
The only thing that really bothers me about MMA are the kill shots - when a guy is knocked out and drooling on himself already and the other fighter waltzes over and slugs him in the face just to make sure he’s out before the the ref gets a chance to intervene. I am surprised no one has died yet, honestly.

I did have a guy explain to me that he thought MMA is better for the brain than boxing actually is. Something about the repeated head shots in boxing with gloves being worse than the fewer shots you get in MMA with the less hand protection.

:dunno:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The only thing that really bothers me about MMA are the kill shots - when a guy is knocked out and drooling on himself already and the other fighter waltzes over and slugs him in the face just to make sure he’s out before the the ref gets a chance to intervene. I am surprised no one has died yet, honestly.

I did have a guy explain to me that he thought MMA is better for the brain than boxing actually is. Something about the repeated head shots in boxing with gloves being worse than the fewer shots you get in MMA with the less hand protection.

:dunno:
Yeah, I remember seeing the very first UFC on VHS back in the early 90s, and that was... startling. First time I saw a guy got knocked down, and then his oppenent just backed up to get a running start and kicked the dude in his head while he was down. Never really got into it because of that but I started watching it on ESPN+ since it was free and it appears like they've cleaned up and added some much needed rules since then and from what I've seen in the last year or so most of the guys seem to be honorable about the guy being out, but they do want to make sure the ref is calling it before they do anything that would allow a possum to get an advantage.

I can definitely see MMA being maybe better than boxing alone just because the nature of MMA, not everything is a boxing match, there are plenty of wrestlers, jujitsu, submission artists. It's not guys only delivering head blows with an occasional body blow. The emphasis on leg kicks can actually stall the boxers from getting in range pretty effectively, too. But then again, one clean shot from most of those guys would be all that it would take to send me back into the universal unknown.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Yeah, I remember seeing the very first UFC on VHS back in the early 90s, and that was... startling. First time I saw a guy got knocked down, and then his oppenent just backed up to get a running start and kicked the dude in his head while he was down. Never really got into it because of that but I started watching it on ESPN+ since it was free and it appears like they've cleaned up and added some much needed rules since then and from what I've seen in the last year or so most of the guys seem to be honorable about the guy being out, but they do want to make sure the ref is calling it before they do anything that would allow a possum to get an advantage.

I can definitely see MMA being maybe better than boxing alone just because the nature of MMA, not everything is a boxing match, there are plenty of wrestlers, jujitsu, submission artists. It's not guys only delivering head blows with an occasional body blow. The emphasis on leg kicks can actually stall the boxers from getting in range pretty effectively, too. But then again, one clean shot from most of those guys would be all that it would take to send me back into the universal unknown.
Haha, yeah I wouldn’t even last the weigh in I don’t think. I can’t fight worth a shit.

I did also get into it recently and didn’t even know they show it on ESPN +. I just watch the knockouts on my social media feeds. It’s pretty interesting.

By the way - chubsuckers for FTW

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Didn't Denver have the Cutthroat (trout) as an affiliate at one point?
The Denver Cutthroats were a Central Hockey League team that only lasted a season but I’m not sure if they were ever an affiliate of the Avs. Kyle Quincey briefly played for them during the lockout though.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Two years: Denver Cutthroats all-time player list at hockeydb.com

08-09 Avalanche defenseman Aaron MacKenzie played for them, if anyone's curious about their level.
Ah, didn't realize that thanks. Was kinda sad they only lasted such a short time, I really thought there was enough room for two hockey teams in Denver. Alas, doesn't appear to be the case. Derek Armstrong really seemed to work his ass off to try and get that team to work.

Their lasting legacy was installing an HD scoreboard at the rickety-ass Coliseum before KSE did at Pepsi Center, leading somewhat embarrassed ownership to really overcompensate and install a hi-def screen larger than the playing surface area below it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad