Value of: Avs Firesale, truly this time...

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Blues look terrible to start the season. Haven't watched the Avs but sounds like they've been terrible as well. Time for a shakeup:

:blues
Nathan Mackinnon
Mikko Rantanen

:avs
Vladimir Tarasenko
Robby Fabbri

Can we work Barrie and Parayko into this as well?;)

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Duchene's really the only one pulling his weight completely on this team right now. With Roy gone, there's never really been a worse time to trade him, and neither of those Columbus players are worth rolling the dice.

Maybe...I disagree I guess. Duchene's very good, but the team needs more high quality depth, and having the chance to swap Duchene for a good top four defensman and what will hopefully be an at least pretty good top six forward (I think Jenner will bounce back from his start this year) isn't too shabby. It means you could stabilize a still problematic defense with something like this

Zadorov - Johnson
Murray - Barrie
Weircioch - Beauchemin

or potentially even trade Barrie elsewhere for, say, an RNH type. Then you've basically swapped Barrie for Murray, which isn't a bad exchange at all, replaced Duchene as best as you can with the Barrie return, and added Jenner. All in all, I think it would work well for the Avs. I think Jenner overachieved in terms of goal scoring last year, I'd expect him to be a ~20 goal, 45 point grinder type of forward who can slot in nicely in the roster. The Avs could use someone like that, even if he's not at all as good as Duchene.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Is Ryan Murray really even much of anything? I wouldn't trade Barrie for him and Barrie was awful last night

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Is Ryan Murray really even much of anything? I wouldn't trade Barrie for him and Barrie was awful last night

You must not be too familiar with the Jackets' blue line. He was our best defenseman last season, even after we acquired Jones. He's missed a few games to start the year because of blocking a shot and taking a cheap shot to the head by Brent Seabrook, but he will rebound and re-establish himself as a top pairing defenseman. Even with Werenski-Jones as the top pair, Murray is no slouch.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
So how about something around this:

Stepan 6.5, Zuc, 4.5 and McDonagh 4.7
for
MacKinnon + Barrie don't remember exactly, but with a small add that is close

Not a fan of either club, but wow, this is the single worst trade proposal in all my time at HFBoards.

I actually full on burst out laughing reading this.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Call me crazy, but I think the Avs don't trade a core player and they stick with the plan which is clearly an improvement systems wise over whatever it was Roy trotted out. The Avs are outshooting opponents, they're playing incredibly well as a whole (definitely room for improvement in some areas). Call me even crazier, but I think they're gonna start scoring and winning games. These things usually happen.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
And why would anyone wanna trade MacKinnon and think they'll get something better back? Kid's 21 and will improve a lot in these next 7 years as avs

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Call me crazy, but I think the Avs don't trade a core player and they stick with the plan which is clearly an improvement systems wise over whatever it was Roy trotted out. The Avs are outshooting opponents, they're playing incredibly well as a whole (definitely room for improvement in some areas). Call me even crazier, but I think they're gonna start scoring and winning games. These things usually happen.

Call me crazy too cause nothing lasts forever not even avalanche scoring draught

Baymen4

Oct 31, 2016
MacKinnon for Strome/Nelson + de Haan/Pulock + 1st lottery protected/2nd

Picks vary depending on which side of the slashes you pick from

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
How about JT Miller and Marc Staal for Tyson Barrie?

NO

No way in hell. A soon to be 30 year old Marc Staal signed until 2021, with a NMC, with an average of 5.7 million per year. Good god, no.
in theory we could reduce Staal and bribe you to take the NMC, but we would have to agree on the compensation to do that

No way in hell I do that deal from a Rangers perspective.

Staal has been playing great this year and finished last year playing well. He might be overpaid, but is still a top-4 defenseman and there's no way in hell I give up a top-4 defender and a top-6 forward for Tyson Barrie.

Drew Doughty? Alright, let's talk about ponying up pieces.

BINGO

Not a fan of either club, but wow, this is the single worst trade proposal in all my time at HFBoards.
I actually full on burst out laughing reading this.

Happy to provide comic relief:laugh:

but seriously...

McD is a premium/elite piece
MacK is a slightly to medium higher premium/elite piece

Rangers are adding a premium (not elite) piece in Zuc

Whatever you value Barrie vs Stepan, who is like 20th best C, approx, no more no less, how off could this be?

3 great pieces, vs 2, plus cap dumps...

If Duchene ever gets moved, it will be to Carolina and we get Hanifin

Hanifin costs more

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
NO

in theory we could reduce Staal and bribe you to take the NMC, but we would have to agree on the compensation to do that

BINGO

Happy to provide comic relief:laugh:

but seriously...

McD is a premium/elite piece
MacK is a slightly to medium higher premium/elite piece

Rangers are adding a premium (not elite) piece in Zuc

Whatever you value Barrie vs Stepan, who is like 20th best C, approx, no more no less, how off could this be?

3 great pieces, vs 2, plus cap dumps...

Hanifin costs more

Considering MacKinnon was JUST re-signed to a very nice deal for the Avs, asking for him is like asking Guy Fieri to not use slang that makes zero sense while watching people cook. It ain't gonna happen.

McDonagh isn't a bad piece by any means and the value in a 1 for 1 between him and MacK isn't far off, it's just that McDonagh isn't a pressing need for the Avs. Trading MacK for McDonagh isn't worth the downgrade in forward in Zuc and Stepan. I get that Barrie is going the other way, but the Avs are giving up the younger more valuable assets IMO.

The Avs have been doing a lot of things right. They've been outshooting, out chancing, out possessing, and out playing other teams. They've just not been fortunate with the bounces. Been some weird crap the last few games imo. The Avs do not need to blow it up. The process is right.

Also, Hanifin and Duchene is a pretty fair trade. You're pretty far off on that assessment.

Also...LOL at the thought of Marc Staal and JT Miller being enough to get you Doughty...please, that isn't even enough to get Barrie considering that the Avs told the Oilers it'd cost a lot more than that.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
And why would anyone wanna trade MacKinnon and think they'll get something better back? Kid's 21 and will improve a lot in these next 7 years as avs

While I agree it's unlikely we get anything better back for Nate his name comes up from fans because there has been little to no improvement since he entered the league. If anything there has been regression. All of this during very important development years for a 1st overall pick as well. At this point he's looking like another RNH case. Very strong when entering the league possible riding some momentum but settling into an average-good top 6 player.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
This was not the firesale I was expecting. Lol.

Well why would you expect a team to trade their best players that are actually playing well?

Remember when the Avs were beating teams that they shouldn't have beaten and were winning despite being outplayed? Yeah, that's what's happening here, we're just on the receiving end and it sucks.

The OP severely overreacted. The team is 4-5 under a brand new coach that came in on short notice. He's been breaking the guys of all the bad habits Roy taught them and they're better for it. Watch the Avs win both games this weekend and all of a sudden they're the best thing ever. Fans are incredibly irrational.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Well why would you expect a team to trade their best players that are actually playing well?

Remember when the Avs were beating teams that they shouldn't have beaten and were winning despite being outplayed? Yeah, that's what's happening here, we're just on the receiving end and it sucks.

The OP severely overreacted. The team is 4-5 under a brand new coach that came in on short notice. He's been breaking the guys of all the bad habits Roy taught them and they're better for it. Watch the Avs win both games this weekend and all of a sudden they're the best thing ever. Fans are incredibly irrational.

While I agree to an extent, there is still some concerns I think have been warranted against the player's efforts themselves. We're still seeing the same exact stuff we were seeing even when Sacco was coaching.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
While I agree to an extent, there is still some concerns I think have been warranted against the player's efforts themselves. We're still seeing the same exact stuff we were seeing even when Sacco was coaching.

Like?

I see instances where I think they revert to Roy days out of bad habits, but you can see that Bednar's systems clearly have a positive effect on the team and the play. I don't expect them to be perfect at this point. I think seeing mistakes still being made is normal right now. Bednar seems to have a pretty good handle on adjusting the team and teaching his system. We've got game 10 tomorrow, if they come out flat and get trounced in possession and the score, then I think the rough stretch will be longer than we'd wanted it to be, but it's not unfixable. I keep preaching that by game 20 we'll have a much better idea of who this team is. The last 5 years ingrained a lot of bad habits into this team, not gonna eradicate them all by game 10 IMO.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
they might as well deal Varly at this point. Pickard is just fine going forward as this team rebuilds...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad